Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: In-Game Store Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

World of Warcraft site, AdriaCraft, has posted a new video of what the potential in-game store will look like. The video footage was created from gameplay experiences on the public test realm. As the team states, none of this is confirmed and will likely undergo changes prior to the release into the live game. Judge for yourself!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Video shows only XP pots so far. As if you're not leveling fast enough already in WoW :D

That aside... Kinda sad that WoW now changes into sub AND grabshop.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Looks polished, and i think it is a good thing to have a in-game store... It catches a lot more impulse shoppers if they don´t need to tab out of the game and log in to a different service.

As for what can be bought in said store, by now would not care if they sold the last tier of gear in there. PvP or PvE. As long as they do not start to sell power items that are better then in-game stuff i honestly don´t give a flying rats arse. Keep the playing field as level as you can is usually a good thing, especially as the game get more and more top heavy. Progression as a time sink is pretty much over with in WoW any way.

This have been a good conversation

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I forgot how smooth everything in WoW is. The animations, everything flows soooooooooo smoothly :D Reminds me of how everything on my iphone is much smoother than on my android. Despite all the updates to android and having a sick quad core processor, there is still lag on Android whereas iOS is super smooth. Same can be said for WoW compared to other MMOs :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Dunno...it just doesn't feel right. There is something about charging a sub and putting in a cash grab shop...sign of the times I guess. If EA can put a cash shop in my precious Dead Space 3 (which I refuse to play), Blizzard can stoop just as low. Oh well...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Reizla

Video shows only XP pots so far. As if you're not leveling fast enough already in WoW :D

The thing is, if dumb people would stop spending so much in game's cash shop, game devs would stop releasing cash shop in their games. Don't blame the devs here, blame the millions of idiots ready to spend more than a sub price each month in the cash shop. That's where the real problem is.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Just another feature many may choose not to use. Just like dailies and sparkling ponies.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

You know, why not have half of the cash shop earnings be donated to charity or something similar?

I'd totally dig that.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

That's why I (and probaby many others) are not so secretly hoping that this is a sign that WoW is going f2p or adopting a hybrid model.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

You know, why not have half of the cash shop earnings be donated to charity or something similar?

I'd totally dig that.

They'll probably do special events/sales where that happens. I don't think it'll be all the time though.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

That's why I (and probaby many others) are not so secretly hoping that this is a sign that WoW is going f2p or adopting a hybrid model.

They stated that the EXP pots would be tested on the Asian servers exclusively.

It's not going free to play any time soon. They just stated that a day or so ago.

They already had a lot of things for sale, this is just an addition of an in game UI for them.

or translation for everyone else on the forums, THE SKY IS FALLING HOLY CRAP!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I'll admit SOE made me comfortable w cosmetic cash shops and now they dont annoy me anymore

I have no issues w exp potions - especially for any mmo thats aged longer than a year

• Gither79Gither79 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    They should make this game free 2 play if they going to do this.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183
    Well if they went F2P they certainly aren't profiting off XP pots like they profit off of 7 million subs. They are just prepping for when the subs drop low enough that they can rationalize going F2P.... so of course this means everyone should stop paying their subs and demand WoW go F2P :)

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Cash shop in Asia would boost sales revenues as they tend to reject the P2P model.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    It's like they're trying to lose more players. That comment aside... This is WoW... Why the heck would anyone need exp. pots? Cuz it's soooo hard to reach max lvl *eye-roll*

Smile

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    It's like they're trying to lose more players. That comment aside... This is WoW... Why the heck would anyone need exp. pots? Cuz it's soooo hard to reach max lvl *eye-roll*

Orc monsta lvl 20 gives 50 exp today.

Orc monsta lvl 20 gives 5 exp tomorrow.

Orc monsta lvl 20 has 500 HP today.

Orc monsta lvl 20 has 2000 HP tomorrow.

Orcs monsta ..

lvl 19->20 needs 20k exp today

lvl 19->20 needs 200k exp tomorrow.

my mirrorball might be broken tho.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

Thouse exp pots will sell good. ppl want level all classes max lvl fast so they can focus gearing in end game.

ofc not all players want level fast but majority want. 

gonna be interesting see how much money they make with exp pots hehe.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Why is everyone posting as if anyone in the western world will have access to any of this? lol
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Its a good thing it isn't then....the people who pay traditional subscriptions wont have access to this.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Orc monsta lvl 20 gives 50 exp today.

Orc monsta lvl 20 gives 5 exp tomorrow.

Orc monsta lvl 20 has 500 HP today.

Orc monsta lvl 20 has 2000 HP tomorrow.

Orcs monsta ..

lvl 19->20 needs 20k exp today

lvl 19->20 needs 200k exp tomorrow.

my mirrorball might be broken tho.

Every MMO I have played that made the switch to F2P also switched XP gains and any other systems that work on a graduating basis.  These developers aren't stupid, they know what needs to be done to entice gamers to make the purchase and to push people's gambling and addiction buttons.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Every MMO I have played that made the switch to F2P also switched XP gains and any other systems that work on a graduating basis.  These developers aren't stupid, they know what needs to be done to entice gamers to make the purchase and to push people's gambling and addiction buttons.

EQ2 got more generous over time from what I saw  (example: Vitality revamp in Feb 2011)

http://otherworlds31279.yuku.com/topic/1374/Vitality-experience#.Ufm95m3BPQo

after the ftp conversion in Aug 2011, it wasnt any slower to level

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    I forgot how smooth everything in WoW is. The animations, everything flows soooooooooo smoothly :D Reminds me of how everything on my iphone is much smoother than on my android. Despite all the updates to android and having a sick quad core processor, there is still lag on Android whereas iOS is super smooth. Same can be said for WoW compared to other MMOs :D

Blizzard highly values control feedback., and it's the one thing they have always done exceptionally well. The simple science of pressing buttons and getting a reaction, all Blizzard games seem to just feel right. It's also partly the reason why I have trouble switching over to the many WoW clones, they all feel clunky and chuggy in comparison.

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354

Not everyone especially newbies have boa gear. -_-

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Dunno...it just doesn't feel right. There is something about charging a sub and putting in a cash grab shop...sign of the times I guess. If EA can put a cash shop in my precious Dead Space 3 (which I refuse to play), Blizzard can stoop just as low. Oh well...

blizz have had a web shop in blizz store for pets and mounts for a long time now. they said they are just putting the same shop in game for convenience. It would be alright as long as they sell pets and mounts but xp potion, transmorg items is just giving bad vibes. how long before they start selling spellpower pots or attack power pot or pvp enhancement pots or even pay2win gears? this is just bad.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Why would they do that, they are not exactly hurting for money (Activision recently bought them self free of Vivendi for Scrouge McDuck level of money) so for now i am 100% sure they will stick to fluff items and stuff to let you catch up quicker. Now that being said that could at some point include selling second or third tier gear (especially for PvP) to let people catch up quicker and bypass the grind at the fall side of a expansion.

P2W is a short time gain but a loss in the long run... I do not think Blizzard will be playing a  short game.

This have been a good conversation