Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Musing on PvP in FFXIV: A Realm Reborn

2»

Comments

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Real PvP is two gamers in one room with two swords and one PC.

Anything else isn't hardcore enough for me!

Roar!

quiestly resumes my PvE play

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx
    Not sure why pvp players think they are large part of the playerbase.. pvp doesnt make or break a game.

This

Not all games need pvp.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by bloodaxes
    Not sure why pvp players think they are large part of the playerbase.. pvp doesnt make or break a game.

This

Not all games need pvp.

Nope they dont but I am glade this one does =-)

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by NagelRitter
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

Yeah but pvp should be there for second choice leveling. a lot players like to level by doing pvp rather then go do same "kill 10 ladybug" "pick up items here and there".

You really only need to level once in FF XIV, I think the PvPers will survive, and letting them to level by PvP kinda breaks the game since it has a lot of interesting stuff going on during leveling and there are various requirements for overall progress, getting your mount, unlocking your abilities, unlocking your job, etc., the game is just not adjusted for PvP-only leveling.

I'm not sure that is the case - the only thing you mentioned that couldn't be easily done through PvP is the job unlocking, and that isn't bound to the main story quests. No reason PvP-leveling couldn't be an additional option among the various ones available, and it would certainly make leveling the 4th, 5th, and on classes more interesting.

• Lavitz0813Lavitz0813 Member Posts: 5
    PVP levels and PVE levels are supposed to be separated. The pvp side of the game is not supposed to have any value tot he PVE environment.  Thats what I gathered.
  • ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354

I am for one very optimistic for the following reasons:

1. Seperate skills between PVE and PVP is a solid base for PVP framework to work effeciently and give a glimse on how the dev team think around building the PVP system.

2. PVP zones " frontlines" open for 24/7 , so they got the solo pvp covered.

3. PVP system was being built since the start of ARR project, and yoshida said they expanded PVP team to polish it even more. so my assumption is they are withholding given out information until the system is fleshed out as so far we can tell from this beta , the PVE system is more polished then some games that has been released. and we can assume the same will be done for PVP.

4. Yoshida himself. he was never about talks like other devs, he proved over and over that he can deliver from the time he took over FFXIV V1.0 and how he delivered patches on time, all elements he mentioned has been implemented etc. 

on top of all of the above, Yoshida is PVP fan by heart, his latest interview he mentioned that if you want him in game, he will be by the PVP zones/arenas. 

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by twrule

I'm not sure that is the case - the only thing you mentioned that couldn't be easily done through PvP is the job unlocking, and that isn't bound to the main story quests. No reason PvP-leveling couldn't be an additional option among the various ones available, and it would certainly make leveling the 4th, 5th, and on classes more interesting.

Chocobos are locked with a quest or something worse, from what I recall. And overall solo PvE leveling was slower than group PvE leveling iirc.

The issue isn't so much that they can't enable you to level by PvP - they can, in theory. The issue is that they would have to let you skip a bunch of content and it would segregate PvPers out of the game.

I meant leveling by PvP from scratch, I don't think that should be happening.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• scrittyscritty Member Posts: 89
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    I really hoped they would not even do pvp, this is mainly a pve game...

Same here. Any game that gets PvP focussed is dropped like a stone by me. No interest in it what-so-ever..

There are enough games coming out with hard loot PvP - lets keep this virus of PvP out of FF games eh?

• scrittyscritty Member Posts: 89

Also plenty of soloable content. My PvP is in the auction house or inb being better than the other players at PvE. I like group PvE but don't want the hassle of finding a good group if I want to progress - or being lumbered with a PUG filled with idiots if the implement LFG. Good solable AND group PvE ;please - leave the PvP to the griefers in other games.

Scritty

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Originally posted by Lavitz0813
    PVP levels and PVE levels are supposed to be separated. The pvp side of the game is not supposed to have any value tot he PVE environment.  Thats what I gathered.

They have separate lines of progression, but that doesn't necessarily mean the devs are against pve leveling through pvp - they just haven't commented on it yet.

Originally posted by NagelRitter

Originally posted by twrule

Chocobos are locked with a quest or something worse, from what I recall. And overall solo PvE leveling was slower than group PvE leveling iirc.

The issue isn't so much that they can't enable you to level by PvP - they can, in theory. The issue is that they would have to let you skip a bunch of content and it would segregate PvPers out of the game.

I meant leveling by PvP from scratch, I don't think that should be happening.

Chocobos are purchased from grand compang vendors with their seals, and you need to get to a certain point in the story quests to join a grand company, yes, but they could also have pvp-only mounts bought with pvp currency. Since pvp abilities are also entirely different, those unlocked through pve don't matter to pvp either.

As far as speed - it *should* be a slow leveling option, to encourage you to try other things, but if you want to casually pvp your way to the top over time, or supplement dry spells in leveling with something interesting, it'd be there.

PvPers are already segregated out of the game, as you put it, if they only want to pvp - maybe they will power to the milestones if pve offers them some advantage, but that is it. If anything, adding in PvE leveling options through PvP allows more community overlap on the current model.

I don't see a problem with offering pvp leveling 'from scratch' (or a low level), as long as it is not too efficient, such that PvErs feel pressured to do it to level quickly - very few people will choose to level from 1-50 purely through PvP, if how this worked in WoW is any indication at least.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by scritty

There are enough games coming out with hard loot PvP - lets keep this virus of PvP out of FF games eh?

Where did anyone mention full loot PvP? It's in a separate section of the game and shouldn't concern you at all.

Originally posted by scritty

Also plenty of soloable content. My PvP is in the auction house or inb being better than the other players at PvE. I like group PvE but don't want the hassle of finding a good group if I want to progress - or being lumbered with a PUG filled with idiots if the implement LFG. Good solable AND group PvE ;please - leave the PvP to the griefers in other games.

This game is a bit more group oriented.

I don't think you're the target audience of this one, tbh, at least, I sincerely hope so. *ugh*

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• Fantasy Earth Zero Yes Please!
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Faction conflict...FRONTLINES.....is the ONLY reason I would pay money for the game.I won't buy it until far more information is released.
  • cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168
    PVP would be nice, but If it's just an after-thought then they might as well not go through with it. In an expansion perhaps, but not right now. If it's just a small addition, PVP players won't be inclined to stay subbed long enough for it any way. If they wish to target that market, they would have to invest more into it. I just don't see it working without any thing fleshed out at this point nearing launch. If any thing, I'd prefer to do PVP in other games and in other genres that do it better. FF fans who threaten not to sub without  PVP being implemented in-game can just suck it up and walk away. :)
  • LrdEtriusLrdEtrius Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by spankybus

Real PvP is two gamers in one room with two swords and one PC.

Anything else isn't hardcore enough for me!

Roar!

quiestly resumes my PvE play

Best comment I've ever read in this forum! X'D

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

In FFXI the pvp component was actually really good,it offered   equal levels and was done in the open world where others could see but not take part.

The thing is nobody wanted it,which really makes me wonder why they would even consider it.Point is there not going to do it any better unless they plan on just copying Wow and making instances,really instances are NOT better than open world even with locked pvp.

So there not going to do it any better than what they did in FFXi,so why bother if nobody liked a well balanced system?

Add ladders and rewards?IMO that is a lame reason to add pvp if nobody was using it before.That means they are more interested in bragging rights and loot rewards than they are in actual pvp.

Pvp also has to be done right and that means it cannot be in the same PVE world,it just doesn't work,it ends up as very shallow pvp.Now i realize the boss and my favorite Unreal Tournament eventually got out of areana's and into the open world,but that is also when the serious players quit ,including myself.I still enjoy the Arena version much better it offers so much more strategy and prediction,there is ZERO prediction in RPG's.

I would rather  see them ignore it,i do not want to play another game trying to copy Wow and that is already their trend for this game.Sure the UI was a good change,but the core of the game needed to get closer to FFXI and not Wow.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

I can take or leave PvP in this game. If I really need my PvP fix bad enough I can just play GW2 for a bit. From what I hear though the PvP in FFXIV will be great. It just wont be there for the first couple patches.

Vivik-Cerberus

The game director is an experienced and avid DAOC player.He knows what world class realm vs realm warfare is all about.I'm remaining optimistic but need a lot more details. There are lots of pve games to play besides this one.

As a side note the latest trailer has a large amount of  fighting.I found that a bit odd given their in no player vs player fighting except in an arena...at launch.

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I think this game is just fine without PvP.  I think 11 did fantastic and 14 will do even better.  I'd be happy if they never brought PvP to Eorzea.  I'm  hoping that they will be completely separate environments.

No bitchers.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Hmmm. I'm not going to use the Pvp zones. Seems like a nonissue to me.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

They are COMPLETELY separate.
  • d0nch1ch1od0nch1ch1o Member UncommonPosts: 8
    This needs a duel option, even wow at launch had something like that.