Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] General: Revival: 'We'll Adapt Together'

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Illfonic team has been hard at work on Revival, a new sandbox MMO that is in the works for release sometime next year. We caught up with the team to find out more about Revival and why it just may be the next big thing. Read on before heading to the comments to chat.

MMORPG: You titled the game (for now) Revival as a reference to the entire MMORPG genre. What are some of the old elements that you want to capture in the game?

Illfonic: This game means a lot to us here at IllFonic.  A lot of us that are here have worked on MMOs before, but we’ve always been under the knife of producer run, marketing driven development. Because of this, things have gotten really bad over the past decade with the genre. Players are tired of being lied to with fluffy gimmicks. The end result is, they’re getting the same game over and over with a slight twist. 

Read the rest of Bill Murphy's Revival: 'We'll Adapt Together'.

imageimage

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    Sounds good but proof is in the pudding.
  • HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    It's worthy of note, but nothing worthy of hype until something playable is available. I wish them all the luck in the world though.
  • SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    I think I will pay more attention to this title.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    The era of sandbox MMOs has begun... *Sheds a happy tear*

Smile

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Forgive me, but I'm super-cynical about this game.

Anyone that has ALL the right answers to every question makes me very suspicious. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

How does F2P and micro transactions work with a supposedly player driven economy? Something tells me we are not entering the actual sandbox era, just the sandbox buzzword era.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Foomerang

How does F2P and micro transactions work with a supposedly player driven economy? Something tells me we are not entering the actual sandbox era, just the sandbox buzzword era.

Pretty much this,it does not work.

DvP (developer vs player) game where company is controlling cash flows with whatever diamonds they sell and loot droprates to drive peeps to buy more diamonds.

not to mention thousands of other problems.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by PAL-18

DvP (developer vs player) game where company is controlling cash flows with whatever diamonds they sell and loot droprates to drive peeps to buy more diamonds.

At least they won't be "under pressure to rush out an unfinished game", because they intend to let players start playing when the game is 35% completed.

Of course, the Cash Shop will be 100% completed at that point, and will be open for business...

The sandbox model is IDEAL for Cash Shop driven games. Create a game world with nothing in it, allow players to create characters and sell them absolutely everything they need (tools) in the Cash Shop. The players even make their own content ! Fantastic profit !

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    lost interest at F2P.

With F2P, we are able to develop the game at an extremely relaxed pace. We aren’t locked into a marketing deadline or have to worry about a cert process that we’d have to plan and lock dates in around.

How does F2P facilitate this exactly? As opposed to a P2P or B2P payment model?

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

With F2P, we are able to develop the game at an extremely relaxed pace. We aren’t locked into a marketing deadline or have to worry about a cert process that we’d have to plan and lock dates in around.

To me it sounds like having a beta release where the game is 30-50% done but they have the cash shop up and running and taking peoples money for an incomplete game. Then again F2P makes me lose interest.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Razeekster

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Sounds like another FFA PvP gank fest.  I'll pass.  let's hope EQN is the PvE sandbox the majority of gamers desperately crave.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by denshing

The people who developed Darkfall were essentially saying the same thing a year or so before release. I don't really trust indi developments of "Sandbox" games anymore.

Originally posted by nilden
    Originally posted by Foomerang   With F2P, we are able to develop the game at an extremely relaxed pace. We aren’t locked into a marketing deadline or have to worry about a cert process that we’d have to plan and lock dates in around.
    To me it sounds like having a beta release where the game is 30-50% done but they have the cash shop up and running and taking peoples money for an incomplete game. Then again F2P makes me lose interest.

If thats true, that sucks.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

keep the sandboxes coming :]

not gonna hype this one til we see more of it but i'll keep an eye on it.

is there a kickstarter for it?

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

I don't know if Illfonic reads this but anyway.

First of all, I want to hug you and maybe even spoon a little for mentioning "carebears". I havent heard that expression for ages and I really miss it. All the stuff you mentioned about quests poping up and actually being part of the world sounds just so great BUT one thing....

You’ll also advance your combat through practice, watching other players, etc.

... FRAG YOU! I wanted to put this in my game !

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5541763#5541763

edit: apprently quote tags dont work here

edit2: also maybe you could add a mechanic like this: wolves eat rabbits. if players kill wolves, rabbit population grows, living wolves got more to eat, get bigger. Rabbit population goes down. wolves become smaller aso. 

Originally posted by itchmon
    keep the sandboxes coming :] not gonna hype this one til we see more of it but i'll keep an eye on it. is there a kickstarter for it? 

Who needs kickstarter when you can put a cash shop in alpha and lol profit.

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    The graphics, art and style of this game are freaking incredible. Looking forward to what devs can do on their own time!!! Best of luck guys/girls!!
  • Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266

Fanboys shot Everquest Next up and these guys have more information than them, why not try it with this game to??  

Oh it's not a familiar name, woops.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

I wont play Cash Shop games. Period. Dont care how "good" they are. 

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Except...sandbox mmos have always been in the works. It's just that they're not very good. And all the big budget MMO's continue to be boring WoW clones that will fail again (wildstar, TESO)

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Yeah, I was really put off by their answers to their approach to F2P.

"We don’t want to bully the players into feeling like they have to buy something in order to have a good time.  We’d much rather entice you, like evil little gremlins.  It’s almost like webcam girls.  They sit there, and they lure you, but they won’t give you what you really want unless you pay. That doesn’t mean you can’t have as much fun as the other perverts in the room, you just won’t get the full bang.  I want players to yern for the things they desire and feel gratified afterwards."

Yikes. Really? So basically, they'll be "enticing" their players with Cash Shop purchases? And what type of things do they expect people will feel "enticed by"?

If he'd been paying attention to the F2P Market (which he openly states he hasn't been... but I'll get to that), he'd get a good idea of what types of things people are enticed" by. It's the things that developers turn to time and again in their games.

Getting to the "understanding the market", someone who says "yeah the game will be F2P, but I haven't really been following the F2P market, I'm just going on what others say" is a serious red flag for me. A guy looking to embrace a revenue model he's openly remained actively and willfully ignorant of.

Really?

Frankly, I don't want to be "enticed into buying stuff". I don't want my MMO to be like a webcam girl, teasing me into pulling out my wallet.

I want to be entertained and engaged in a fun, immersive experience that makes me want to log in and play every minute I can, while thinking about and planning what I'll do when I log in next when I can't be playing.

And, frankly... Cash Shop + Sandbox = Immediately suspect to me.

Time will tell and the proof will be in the playing, but so far, this guy - as clever and witty as he tries to come across in selling the revenue model - is sounding like someone who doesn't understand  the market he's preparing to compete in.

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198

Old school and F2P with cash shop cannot exist in the same game without losing the most important element of an MMO....immersion.

There is no logical connection between a fantasy MMO and  a pop up mini mall sorry.

Unless you plan for a monthly sub option where one price gets you the whole game your just another F2P.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by WellzyC

I wont play Cash Shop games. Period. Dont care how "good" they are. 

Unfortunately, you are going to have very few MMORPGs to play. Might be time to find another genre.