Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All that is wrong with EVE, in one picture

VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

Too many of many makes the game pointless and uncompetitive for those who can't afford that 73rd account.

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    gold seller?
  • VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

Impossible to say, really; and besides, since CCP actively encourages alts, it's perfectly legal to be running as many accounts as you like, provided you don't abuse what few rules exist in this game.  But imagine how easily someone like that could keep a string of starbases running all by himself, and hire mercenaries should his corp (as all his alts seem to belong to the same) get war-decced. 

I simply don't like pay-to-win, and what is running several accounts in a subscription game but the extension of real-life class inequality into a video game?

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

There was a thread about alts, where I said it makes me wonder, whether that slight subscriber increase over the years is from the existing playerbase starting additional accounts all the time? I guess this pic is a decent answer :)

and there's also the multiboxer dude:  https://sites.google.com/site/khromtor/

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    thats the guy with 145 accounts. been serveral threads about him already on the eve forums. judging from the general section in  mmorpg.com forums, i'd say multiboxing in general is starting to make quite a few number of people mad.
  • pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    He isn't paying real money for those accounts anyway.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

I'm guessing you mean PLEX. Well, I always objected to PLEX from the moment I first played the game (2009; I've just returned) precisely because it created a valuable commodity that was not obtained in the game itself by playing the game. And those multi parasites just feed off the PLEX buyers.
  • AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    There's no inequity in having alts. A bit jealous are we?

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• ronpaulroxronpaulrox Member UncommonPosts: 7
    friends are like free alts who perform better under pressure, just make friends

Originally posted by Ahnog

Not really. I tried playing two characters at once in Wurm Online (which is just about as grindy as EVE at its worst), where characters are free if you're satisfied with a level cap, and I hated myself for doing it, for becoming everything I despised, for just pursuing efficiency at the expense of enjoying the game. I quit Wurm shortly after that.

But Wurm didn't really give someone a competitive advantage (not on the PvE servers anyway) for playing more than one account at once, just personal convenience because everything takes so much time (1 mining action = 20 seconds or so). I do remember however a game like Uncharted Waters Online where multis were rampant, and where using them significantly increased your revenue. And there too, the game was free to play, so you might have as many alts as you liked (the logic they used was no more than one account per computer, so if you had six accounts on six computers, that was fine by them, and when I left they were even thinking of relaxing it.)

In a subscription game like EVE, it's even worse because you know the developers have everything to gain by doing nothing whatsoever to stop the multis. If the multi owners don't pay real money, then they'll buy PLEX from someone who did. And it does wreck the game for everyone else and turns it into pay to win (in which case, I'd rather play something that allows me at least the possibility of not paying anything).

Originally posted by ronpaulrox

I wonder how many mid-sized corporations have less members than that guy has accounts.

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258

I don't see how this bothers you to be honest. Most people have usually 0-2 alts, and most of them are only made for scouting or outside revenue (mining alt, trader, pi, etc). At worst they may be devaluating the resources a legit player could get in those activities but I don't see how it can affect you outside that. 

I know plenty of people with 0-1 active alts that are very competitive. It may be a slight advantage for those that run tons of accounts but there's no real way of stopping it. 

• Mr_MechanicalMr_Mechanical Member Posts: 88

1.  This loser no-life with his 100+ accounts is just that.  A loser.  A rich loser, perhaps, or just a dumb ass who spent some kind of inheritance or settlement on a videogame..  either way, still a loser with nothing better to do .

2.  You don't "win" in EVE just because you can fill local chat up with your alts.

3.  Try and understand that multiboxing alts like that is quite the task in itself, and mostly utilized for things no one wants to do because the game designed those features to be boring and repetitive.  Mining, transport, etc... 

4.  If he actually undocked with all those characters at the same time, he would lose them.   ALL of them.    1 person can't control that many ships with enough efficiency and precision to fight a real battle vs real players.    Real EVE veterans who understand the game would love for this guy to "attempt" to use all those characters to achieve anything out in space.    

5.  Similar to number 2, you just don't "win" in Eve by having more alts than others.   Ultimately, this guy has 100+ fish in a barrel for everyone else to shoot at and steal from.

6.  Who cares?   You don't see the epic and historical battles and politics drama having anything to do with people like this.   People like this in any mMorpg are definitely an annoyance, but in EVE, it simply doesn't help having anything more than say, 4 alts.    

It'll be ok.   Here, I have an idea for you.

Just build a corporation and call it "All Natural" or something.   Recruit only combat pilots, no industry.    Make the purpose of the corp to just go around griefing and destroying players you deem to have 'too many alts"  - Use the NPC agents to track them down if they are in other regions of space.   Scam them.   Utilize their resources.  Make them feel like they have "X of Many" alts to somehow help your corp out.    Think of it as free labor.    Then screw them over.     Or  join them.   

Problem solved.   You have a new purpose to play Eve.  Years of new content, based on the new corp's mantra, and you get to ultimately feel righteous.    

This is all that is right with EVE, in one suggestion.     Make the game what you want it to be in order to have fun with it.

EDIT:  I said above "you just don't win in eve by having more alts than others"  --- I feel I should rephrase, as I can't accurately say that "numbers" don't win in EVE.    They do.   If I'm playing solo, with 1 account, someone with 2 accounts by default has a technical advantage over me IF the purpose of our affiliation is to destroy each other.   In this example, having 1 extra account than I do means he can get intel on me without me knowing.  He can have this alt character potentially flying right next to me or docked with me and even speak to me through it, to gather info on me, or scam me, or persuade me to go somewhere, etc...  while his main character is fitting up a ship specifically to destroy mine that he's gathered intel on.   

As another example, a group of 5 players in Frigates will not win versus 30 players in frigates.     Unless the goal is something other than destruction.   If the goal is diversion, or occupancy, or setting a trap, or even just trolling/griefing, those 5 pilots could easily "win"

But alts after a certain points (about 4) become more of a burden than an advantage.   

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Vetarnias

Impossible to say, really; and besides, since CCP actively encourages alts, it's perfectly legal to be running as many accounts as you like, provided you don't abuse what few rules exist in this game.  But imagine how easily someone like that could keep a string of starbases running all by himself, and hire mercenaries should his corp (as all his alts seem to belong to the same) get war-decced. 

I simply don't like pay-to-win, and what is running several accounts in a subscription game but the extension of real-life class inequality into a video game?

Then stop playing MMOs because you're not going to find one where there aren't people who have multiple accounts.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785
    They must be having fun to have that many accounts.
  • Mr_MechanicalMr_Mechanical Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Then stop playing MMOs because you're not going to find one where there aren't people who have multiple accounts.

Yuuuuuuup!

Loktofeit is right on this.    I've never seen an MMO where absolutely no one multiboxed.     I've also never seen an MMO where multiboxers made any substantial difference in the world by doing so other than getting attention.

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    I bet that CCP is actually running a Power-leveling and gold selling website as well. They are able to make insane amounts of profit since it's "legal" in their game.

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by qazyman
    They must be having fun to have that many accounts.

sarcasm detected :)

The guy in question is running Isboxer and it is acceptable under the EULA. Not saying I would do that myself, I'm far too lazy to multi-box

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

So does he ever leave hi-sec do any fighting?  Or is it just a big mining operation?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Say what you will about this guy, he knows how to make Isk in eve XD
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Originally posted by Ahnog

In a subscription game like EVE, it's even worse because you know the developers have everything to gain by doing nothing whatsoever to stop the multis. If the multi owners don't pay real money, then they'll buy PLEX from someone who did. And it does wreck the game for everyone else and turns it into pay to win (in which case, I'd rather play something that allows me at least the possibility of not paying anything).

Originally posted by ronpaulrox

I wonder how many mid-sized corporations have less members than that guy has accounts.

Ok

If i can pick up that line there, i see at least 2 innacuraces, 

1st, To assume buying plex = pay to win, then you need to 'win' and given eve has no end game how can he win?

2nd please dont say EVERY ONE ELSE.. i for one dont give a damn, and at times have run 11 accounts, so unles you know 100% everyone else feels the same please keep it to "some people" - Big difference 

Now, onto the OP

Just because player A has 2 accounts why should this mean your at a disadvantage? 

1st reason why your not

Get yourself alts, no-one else but yourself is stopping you starting a 2nd/3rd hell even 150th account.

2nd reason

Cost - For every account the cost doubles to keep it subbed, now when i was running 11 accounts i was making 11x more than 1 account, so really my wallet was going up no more/ no less than 1 account - Yes just because i was build 15bill isk a month in modules,  where as with account i would be making say 1-1.5bill per month, the fact is it is still the same, I made (approx) 40mill per day per toon, which is exactly what you make with 1 toon. So just because the end income is higher doesn't mean he makes more.

Simple analogy, Big company >1000 employees, makes more than Small company <10 employees, but smaller company might make more profit because of less overheads.

Bigger is not bettter, and NO MMO shows this than EvE biggest is rarely the best, whether that is ship / accounts or what ever.

Now i will grant you that many accounts wreaks of suspect but the fact is with the changes to ice mining then i guarantee he will not be able to fund them as easy given the depletion of ice, which didn't happen before.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    I bet that CCP is actually running a Power-leveling and gold selling website as well. They are able to make insane amounts of profit since it's "legal" in their game.

How can you power level in eve, it has no level and your skill points are earnt approx 0.75sp per second depending on remaps and implants, this can at best get to about 1sp per second, so you CANNOT EVER power level.

Why gold selling, they dont need to, they sell plex which are neither gold nor illegal and are just merely an ingame comodity

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Why stop there? Plenty of EVE players would pay good money to be able to trade PLEX in order to get another player's character banned.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Next year EVE will hit 600k subscribers, but have only 3 active players. And then we'll see an article about "biggest battle yet in space!" And a 9 fps youtube video showing a few clusters of dots for 34 minutes will be praised as "the way sandbox should be". Then someone will inevitably say, "Why can't we have that in a fantasy setting." And the circle will be complete.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Next year EVE will hit 600k subscribers, but have only 3 active players. And then we'll see an article about "biggest battle yet in space!" And a 9 fps youtube video showing a few clusters of dots for 34 minutes will be praised as "the way sandbox should be". Then someone will inevitably say, "Why can't we have that in a fantasy setting." And the circle will be complete.

:D  awesome one

you forgot the "28quadzillion dollars worth of ships destroyed, in real money" part, which seems important to add in every "biggest battle eva'h " articles :)

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    As a hardworking solo miner with just one character I despise the likes of these.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?