Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Being More Powerful

13»

Comments

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I remember a game called Shadowbane.  For most of its short life reaching level cap and end game gearing was easy.  The true end game 'grind' was building/destroying cities.  I also remember pre trammel UO that made leveling skills and getting endgame gear easy as well with the focus on exploring and altering the world.  I miss the days where mmo endgame was about having fun and changing the world, not getting 'phat lewt'.  I remember games that gave players a reason to work together for a goal rather than being present to collect a reward for 'group' content.

*Sigh* I suppose I am a dying breed of gamer who prefers to have fun and be a part of a game world, rather than grind to have the shiniest gear.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

The only way I can see these new skills providing some level of progression or worth is if the requirement for getting the skills was the completion of some type of scavenger hunt. Find that monster, slay it and use a magic stone to collect the skill from it's dead corpse.

Yes I do miss skill hunting in GW1 and it would be cool to see it as a way to progress the strength of your character.

This is not a game.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

In GW2 the old skills are very basic and many are very situational so what new ideas ArenaNet has come up with for new skills over the past year would easily trump the old ones.

So, in that scenario ArenaNet would buff the old skills up to the same level as the new skills so the players would still want the new skills but not feel like they must have abandon the old skills to stay competitive.

But, then, what about the PvE content? Which was balanced with the old skills levels in mind.

Tough road for ArenaNet going forward with new skills.