Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2.5 Million Active Users per week

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Another thread about...nothing...

What's the difference between 2.5 mil logins and active players? If they log in, they are an active player! They LOGGED IN to the damn game xD

You guys cray cray.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Toxia

What's the difference between 2.5 mil logins and active players? If they log in, they are an active player! They LOGGED IN to the damn game xD

You guys cray cray.

Some people thought there are 2.5 million individual people playing at any given week. Some people thought that's impossible.

Threads like these are best enjoyed with potato chips, fries, or popcorns.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

You guys cray cray.

Because they aren't individual log-ins, so that doesn't equate to active players.....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

You guys cray cray.

2.5m logins =! active players... 

Anyway some of us want to keep these forums as objective as possible, so when people get really overzealous about clearly inaccurate stats we like being the voice of reason.

Those people that fervently bash the objective posters and call them haters, seem to get real quiet when evidence is a bit more reasonable about the state of gw2. 

Originally posted by caetftl

You guys cray cray.

Anyway some of us want to keep these forums as objective as possible, so when people get really overzealous about clearly inaccurate stats we like being the voice of reason.

Those people that fervently bash the objective posters and call them haters, seem to get real quiet when evidence is a bit more reasonable about the state of gw2. 

I dont follow. If logging in doesnt make you an active player, what does?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

You guys cray cray.

So if one player logs in 2.5 million times they suddenly have 2.5m players? How can you not follow that the same player can log in more than once inflating the numbers?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    I hardly doubt that there are that many people active in GW2. There are 100s of people from guilds I have joined in GW2 now that has not even logged on in months.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• wsmarwsmar Member Posts: 122
    I wouldn't believe that even if it came directly from ArenaNet....
    Originally posted by nilden

You guys cray cray.

So if one player logs in 2.5 million times they suddenly have 2.5m players? How can you not follow that the same player can log in more than once inflating the numbers?

Well, forgive me, i came in late. The op's post talks about :

Weekly Active Users: 2.5 Million Active Users per week.

Users to me says individual players. Why wouldnt they just say logins if thats what they meant?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by DonVadim
    Originally posted by botrytis

2.5  million active users weekly / 7 days ~ 357,142 active users daily

508,428 hours daily 

508,428 hours daily  / 357,142 active users daily ~ 1.42 hours (1 hour 25 minutes) daily per user

OP should learn the maths, stop being a hater and try to seek attention somewhere else.

On a side note 1 hour 25 minutes daily per user is pretty good for a single player rpg (online lobby rpg at best) almost year after the release.

It is not a lobby game - GW1 is close to that not GW2. When you exit a city after antother player (going to the same area) you end up following them, you do not have a different instance.

It IS a lobby game. To exit city I must go through portal which will put me in map instance. To go back to city instance I must go through the portal. You won't always end up following person because you might appear in overflow instance if regular one is full. You don't even get to see what is happening in different zone from distance because, guess what, you are in instance of that zone and next zone is just an another instance. There is no open persistent world (or at least there is no feeling of it) - there are bunch of lobbies connected together with portals.

I'm starting to wonder what companies are paying such people to spread such lies.

Let's take an exceptional event, aka overflow server, and make it a generality in order to bash a game.

I guess those people rather wait in a login queue for one hour or more in order to be able to play.

I find your post ironic when you yourself spend so much time bashing (ehmm..excuse me..i mean crticising) WOW. So why jump other peoples bones when they have something negative to say about GW2? don't let your double standards be so transparent.

Only because people have negative things to say about a particular game doesn't mean they are being paid or should i use similar logic to your posts on WOW forums?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by botrytis

2.5  million active users weekly / 7 days ~ 357,142 active users daily

508,428 hours daily 

508,428 hours daily  / 357,142 active users daily ~ 1.42 hours (1 hour 25 minutes) daily per user

OP should learn the maths, stop being a hater and try to seek attention somewhere else.

On a side note 1 hour 25 minutes daily per user is pretty good for a single player rpg (online lobby rpg at best) almost year after the release.

It is not a lobby game - GW1 is close to that not GW2. When you exit a city after antother player (going to the same area) you end up following them, you do not have a different instance.

It IS a lobby game. To exit city I must go through portal which will put me in map instance. To go back to city instance I must go through the portal. You won't always end up following person because you might appear in overflow instance if regular one is full. You don't even get to see what is happening in different zone from distance because, guess what, you are in instance of that zone and next zone is just an another instance. There is no open persistent world (or at least there is no feeling of it) - there are bunch of lobbies connected together with portals.

I'm starting to wonder what companies are paying such people to spread such lies.

Let's take an exceptional event, aka overflow server, and make it a generality in order to bash a game.

I guess those people rather wait in a login queue for one hour or more in order to be able to play.

I find your post ironic when you yourself spend so much time bashing (ehmm..excuse me..i mean crticising) WOW. So why jump other peoples bones when they have something negative to say about GW2? don't let your double standards be so transparent.

Only because people have negative things to say about a particular game doesn't mean they are being paid or should i use similar logic to your posts on WOW forums?

Please point me to a post where I lied about WoW in order to bash it. Good luck.

Oh, and I'm posting on the WoW forums because I lately play the game... I have 5 tabs opens for MMORPG.COM: The Pub, GW2 (obviously), WoW, EQN and LotRO. You won't find me on forums of games I really dislike and don't play, like Rift or Darkfall or many others.

So what was the irony? Ah yes, people posting lies and misinformation to bash a game they most of the times don't even play. Like saying GW2 is a lobby game.

Yeah as if you are so accepting when people criticise GW2 based on facts? please..i have been here long time to see how things work around here. The guy had his opinion...maybe he thinks he is right in his interpretation of what is a lobby game but to assume that he is being paid by a company to spread lies is just ridiculous. I am getting a bit tired of double standards used by GW2 fans. Criticising every other MMO is allright but God forbid someone  says something negative about GW2..he has to be either a troll, hater or paid by some company to spread negativity. image

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by nilden

You guys cray cray.

Well, forgive me, i came in late. The op's post talks about :

Weekly Active Users: 2.5 Million Active Users per week.

Users to me says individual players. Why wouldnt they just say logins if thats what they meant?

The problem is that one needs to check the source of that claim. A person claiming to be Chinese has stated that the translation "weekly active users" was not correct and that it is instead about "logins". 

To requote him: 

K  guys, i am a chinese so i can read chinese, the translation "2.5 million active users" is so wrong i have to say,

The chinese on the website actually means "2.5 millions logins each week", so you guys can stop argueing.

2.5 million "??" means 2.5 millions logins, ask anyone who understand chinese and they will tell you the same answer.

Edit: guess i cant type chinese in this website, it turns to ??

Noone else has claimed to know Chinese and proven that person wrong. The thread start hasn't proven that the information was originally translated by a Chinese-speaker either. So the most reasonable standpoint is currently to assume that "2.5 millions logins each week" is the correct translation and not "2.5 million active users". 

You guys cray cray.

Read a page or two back in the thread. Someone who actually speaks Chinese posted that it doesn't mean active users and refers to log-ins. This whole thread was based off a reddit thread that was based of something translated by Google translation on the Chrome browser. Anyone who speaks two languages knows how unreliable that is. You knew it wasn't right just by looking at the numbers. 

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    GW2 is fine and fits my play style since I'm an action gamer at heart. I hate in other mmos where you've got to wait for the tank or LF1M Heals. The game is populated all over the place and finding a group isn't hard nor does it take that long if your using the gw2lfg.com site. PVP is where its at anyways, pve in all mmo's suck. I'd rather play a solo rpg.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

You guys cray cray.

Do you realize how desperately you're holding on to the post of a random person on the internet that claimed to be Chinese and told you something you wanted to hear?

One thing we know for sure is that they're close to releasing another milestone for sales according to Colin, and we don't know what that is. 3.5M? 4M? 5M even? No idea (although I'd guess 4M personally). We know we have numbers on a website that translates poorly so we're not sure what they mean. The fans put the most optimistic spin on them, the anti-fans the most pessimistic.  So for now I'll rely on observed evidence that the game continues to grow. It's a fact that a few months back they increased the cap on server populations when eight or so NA servers were showing Full. It's a fact that the populations shown are for people actively logged in and not simply accounts on the server... this has been observed due to things like "black out events" and how the population can bounce between Full and Very High. It's also a fact that servers are once again (two last I checked) showing up as Full. Do I have actual numbers? Nope. No idea what "Full" means from a numerical standpoint. But they are growing. A year out, no servers have been merged or closed (actually three were added since launch). The company continues to hire and expand their workforce. Currently ANet and GW2 are doing great and I'm having fun going along for the ride.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Volkon

You guys cray cray.

Do you realize how desperately you're holding on to the post of a random person on the internet that claimed to be Chinese and told you something you wanted to hear?

(...)

It is better than trusting someone who doesn't even state whether they speak Chinese or not and still puts up a translation.

From http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/391329/It-doesnt-mean-25-million-active-users-per-week.html

"K  guys, i am a chinese so i can read chinese, the translation "2.5 million active users" is so wrong I have to say.

The chinese on the website actually means "2.5 millions logins each week".

The 2 chinese characters means "human" and "times",  when they are combined it means one man do it one time."

The part in yellow seems to mean "unique"... one man one time... that's how that "translation" sounds to me.

Except you don't speak Chinese and neither do I. IMO < < notice I used that.... 2.5 million unique log-ins seems a bit incredulous. The guy posting the translation was obviously referring to just log-ins as he was refuting the "active user" translation when he posted in this thread which would logically refer to what you wrote. Until we hear something from A-Net themselves or some other Chinese that collaborate his translation, this is obviously moot. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad... 2.5 million unique log-ins seems a bit incredulous.

Only if you are comparing it to the old boxes sold figure. Over 3 million sold as of January 2013. Quick google search shows that the box sales number is old.

It's also B2P which means that unless you actively hate the game, it's not a stretch to log in.

In reality, I do doubt GW2 has 2.5 mil active players, but it's a full and bustling game. There's players in the zones, there's people running dungeons constantly, over a hundred spvp matches running almost 24/7, WvWvW always has people running about.

ANET has done well for themselves, the game is healthy and possibly growing. And the mere fact that it's B2P means that anyone can jump right back in on any given day just to see what's going on.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Volkon

You guys cray cray.

(...)

It is better than trusting someone who doesn't even state whether they speak Chinese or not and still puts up a translation.

No, actually it isn't. Both are equally unreliable as neither can be confirmed. Until ANet tells us what it really means it's all speculation and I'm willing to trust my own observations that the game is currently thriving.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Who cares if its 2 millions or 5 millions or just 1 million, as long arena net got enough money to bring content as fast they do currently, its all fine.
  • kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518
    Originally posted by Myria

Blizz posts sub numbers under pain of law and with exact definitions: Literally hundreds of threads and thousands of posts about how it's all a lie.

Random person posts third hand translation of GW2 stats of dubious origin: Obviously true and anyone who says otherwise is a troll.

Yep, just another day on MMORPG.com.

I don't consider the publisher to be a "dubious" source.  In China kongzhong is the publisher, so I think you can consider those numbers as close to official as we are going to see.

I don't see why the numbers are hard to see, there have been no server mergers.  ANet employees have stated time and time again that there are more people playing now than when the launched. 

I agree with you about trolls and MMORPG.com however.  The fourms have become almost useless.  The writers do a great job covering a wide array of games, but the fourm posters worth reading are very rare.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Myria

Blizz posts sub numbers under pain of law and with exact definitions: Literally hundreds of threads and thousands of posts about how it's all a lie.

Random person posts third hand translation of GW2 stats of dubious origin: Obviously true and anyone who says otherwise is a troll.

Yep, just another day on MMORPG.com.

Lol, that made me chuckle, because its 100% accurate.

Even the usual posters that downplay WoW's western sub numbers every chance they get are nowhere to be found questioning the accuracy in this thread lol

Blizzard has another B2P online RPG in their portfolio...they dont need to list active player numbers for it, but they do...D3...where they last announced 1 million unique logins per day, 3 million per month.

If GW2 had numbers to brag about (aside from the smoke and mirros "box sales"), who in their right mind thinks ANet wouldnt announce it?

This is by no means saying GW2 is dead, its far from it....just calling a spade a spade ;)

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

There is nothing to claim one way or the other as long as there are no official numbers to back it up with. So , meh. And even if we received good looking official numbers, there would be people who try to punch holes in those too and fanboys and girls who pick up torches and pitchforks to burn every naysayer.

So this thread just doesn't show anything. It isn't even /popcorn worthy :/

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by someforumguy

There is nothing to claim one way or the other as long as there are no official numbers to back it up with. So , meh. And even if we received good looking official numbers, there would be people who try to punch holes in those too and fanboys and girls who pick up torches and pitchforks to burn every naysayer.

So this thread just doesn't show anything. It isn't even /popcorn worthy :/

Pretty much.

19 page thread with zero facts proving or disproving the title claim one way or another.