Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Night-Capping?

HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98

I've haven't been following CU, but wondered if it had a solution for the problem of "night-capping"?

This occurs when certain realms have an advantage of off-peak players (such as EU players on a NA server or vice-versa) who can steam-roll other realms without opposition. 

GW2 WvW currently does not address this, and it is fairly major issue.  Though I understand DAoC used a system of buffs to make under-pop realms competitive.

Any word on what CU might do in this regard?

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

Comments

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

besides eu and na servers, why would they?

yes it would be a bit unbalanced, but as someone who played doac out the ying, was it really as issue? not really cause when they would goto bed we would do the exact thing.

in any online game its the same thing,  by your reasoning, everyone who worked nightshift and played in the day would be penalized as well :)

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    Darkfall solved it my allowing owners of keep to set a timer when the keep can't be sieged.  This will work.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• MMOrtyMMOrty Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by gamekid2k
    Darkfall solved it my allowing owners of keep to set a timer when the keep can't be sieged.  This will work.

I don't think that will work overly well, because you are then penalizing the night folks by not allowing them to siege anything.  It's like saying, "Thanks for playing, but you mine as well play in a PvE zone, because you can't take keeps right now."

Maybe I am missing something but I don't think it's an issue.  Like one of the other posters posted, the day peoples can take back there stuff during the day. 

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    Originally posted by MMOrty

I don't think that will work overly well, because you are then penalizing the night folks by not allowing them to siege anything.  It's like saying, "Thanks for playing, but you mine as well play in a PvE zone, because you can't take keeps right now."

Maybe I am missing something but I don't think it's an issue.  Like one of the other posters posted, the day peoples can take back there stuff during the day. 

Well, there will be night based clan who will do the opposite.  So it evens out.  Not all keep owner will be day timer or night timer.  Also during weekend they may not put in any timer.  The cap prevention timer needs to be expensive so that it is not overly abused.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Well, there will be night based clan who will do the opposite.  So it evens out.  Not all keep owner will be day timer or night timer.  Also during weekend they may not put in any timer.  The cap prevention timer needs to be expensive so that it is not overly abused.

Pathfinder Online will do something similar. Were you can setup a window of opportunity for your player city, and all that in accordance with risk vs. reward. You have to give a minimum window of opportunity where you city can be attacked, and as longer as you give that window of opportunity as more advantages you will get.. so that everyone has a incentive to open up that window as long as possible. How is it in Darkfall exactly?

About CU.. as long as Keeps are not really that valuable, like in DAoC, you can also just live with night raiding. But the problem with it is, that noone will than really care that much about keeps, like in GW2 or in DAoC to some point.

Maybe there is a better solution.. but in all honestly i don't know any better or other way, nor i can think of any better solution.. the most important part have to be that all keeps are as long as possible attackable. Maybe you or the CU devs come up with a better way to solve this problem.

• MMOrtyMMOrty Member Posts: 13
    Pathfinder Online will do something similar. Were you can setup a window of opportunity for your player city, and all that in accordance with risk vs. reward. You have to give a minimum window of opportunity where you city can be attacked, and as longer as you give that window of opportunity as more advantages you will get.. so that everyone has a incentive to open up that window as long as possible. How is it in Darkfall exactly?

About CU.. as long as Keeps are not really that valuable, like in DAoC, you can also just live with night raiding. But the problem with it is, that noone will than really care that much about keeps, like in GW2 or in DAoC to some point.

Maybe there is a better solution.. but in all honestly i don't know any better or other way, nor i can think of any better solution.. the most important part have to be that all keeps are as long as possible attackable. Maybe you or the CU devs come up with a better way to solve this problem.

Giving the players incentive to keeping the keep open longer is a good idea.  I agree with you though, I don't know what the answer is exactly.  

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

24/7 or nothing. AC raiding is annoying, but the world should not stop turning just because some players in a certain time zone are sleeping.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• LaetitianLaetitian Member UncommonPosts: 21

Well, the problem adressed here should not be the "Night-Capping", as this is not so much an issue of time-zones as it is one of varying population-balance in general!

To not misunderstand this, please note that I do not refer to 'population-balance issues', but to the 'tendency of attendand crowds to vary randomly'. Every realm should be able to figure out its way to defeat overwhelming numbers, as these are bound to happen, and should be a welcome challenge. If there are major differences in population, the devs should solve *that* problem simply by encouraging newcomers to join disadvantaged realms via bonusses for players in said realm. This is a concept that works pretty well.

However, to adress the real problem, namely the *varying* present crowds, the developers should simply make sure to let capturing "The Void" a time-consuming process, that requires several sieges to be executed, and long, well-executed defenses to be performed.

If they ensure that this process can not be completed in *much* less than half a day, temporary imbalances should not trouble realms too much.

There was another issue adressed here. The purpose behind partaking RvR-content should be obvious to every user. And if they do it right, there should be motivation for some to rage over the enemy-fortresses, and for some to defend their own realm. This is the most important task, the developers will have to face, and I think it is actually easily solved. [At least, ngd managed it for Champions of Regnum, so the opportunity has to be there]

I only hope, they can be trusted with this.

Darkfall solved it my allowing owners of keep to set a timer when the keep can't be sieged.  [...]

I don't think that will work overly well, because you are then penalizing the night folks [...]

Well, there will be night based clan who will do the opposite.  So it evens out.  [...]

Yes. This explains why your concept would not penalize anyone. However, it also renders it useless.

That you thought it meaningful seems to be because you do not understand the game principles. This game is not about "Clans" sieging Clan-bases. There are three factions, battling over each other's fortresses.

These communities should in general be even. There is, therefore, no reason to lock content for varying timezones. It would, to be precise, suck if they did.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    I'd prefer it if they just made the walls, guards, and doors stronger at night, like between 2 am and 6 am, for example.