Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to Final Fantasy

kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229

Hello all, well met.  I've been keeping my eye on the relaunch of FFXIV, mainly due to it releasing so soon... and I've just about had my fill of GW2.  I did not play FFXI, and only played a little of FFVII back when it was new...  So nearly all of the lore is new to me.  In that aspect I'm looking forward to being a noob :p

So over the last few weeks I've been reading a bit about the game and I have a few questions...

How does the loot system work in this game?  I've only seen talk of quest/raid rewards and crafting of gear... do the normal mobs drop anything of value?

How solo friendly is the game?  I know, I know... MMO is for playing as a group, it's just I tend to solo a good deal of the time..  , so are there any solo friendly classes/jobs/?

And lastly, I've recently purchased the digital version of the game from Square Enix and understand there will be a headstart as reward for pre-ordering...  Is the headstart the same as beta4 or do I need to have a separate key for that? (The information I've found thus far is conflicting)

Thanks!

krulux

Comments

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

early access is after open beta you need a code for phase 4 i have an extra 1 for you to register if you want it

i sent it but it might be an eu code if it is im sorry  (

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by krulux

Hello all, well met.  I've been keeping my eye on the relaunch of FFXIV, mainly due to it releasing so soon... and I've just about had my fill of GW2.  I did not play FFXI, and only played a little of FFVII back when it was new...  So nearly all of the lore is new to me.  In that aspect I'm looking forward to being a noob :p

So over the last few weeks I've been reading a bit about the game and I have a few questions...

How does the loot system work in this game?  I've only seen talk of quest/raid rewards and crafting of gear... do the normal mobs drop anything of value?

How solo friendly is the game?  I know, I know... MMO is for playing as a group, it's just I tend to solo a good deal of the time..  , so are there any solo friendly classes/jobs/?

And lastly, I've recently purchased the digital version of the game from Square Enix and understand there will be a headstart as reward for pre-ordering...  Is the headstart the same as beta4 or do I need to have a separate key for that? (The information I've found thus far is conflicting)

Thanks!

krulux

Normal mobs drop crafting materials, they don't drop any gear. You can get gear solo from farming seals, levequests, and normal quests.

You can solo to max level with any class, jobs are more for group roles.

Beta 4 and Early Start are different. But beta 4 characters carry into release so it can sort of be considered the same. I also have heard conflicting things; I've heard Beta 4 is open beta, but that you still need a key, which doesn't really mean open beta to me. We'll probably know more after Aug 8 after the live letter.

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

I have a friend that's wondering when open beta starts. He never signed up for beta or played v1.0. Will he still be able to get into open beta?

What does he need to do to beable to join phase 4?

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    To my understanding it may be to late.  Unless he can get his hands on a key from someone.  SE stopped taking beta applications a week ago and the last day to register your key is tomorrow.
  • ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by striderbob

Thanks!

krulux

Normal mobs drop crafting materials, they don't drop any gear. You can get gear solo from farming seals, levequests, and normal quests.

You can solo to max level with any class, jobs are more for group roles.

Beta 4 and Early Start are different. But beta 4 characters carry into release so it can sort of be considered the same. I also have heard conflicting things; I've heard Beta 4 is open beta, but that you still need a key, which doesn't really mean open beta to me. We'll probably know more after Aug 8 after the live letter.

Yeah I was super confused by that as well they are calling it "Open Beta" but then I got the code in my email so I would be able to play it? How is that open beta?

Anyways to the OPs question the game is very solo friendly except for some instances of forced grouping for the main questline but the game makes grouping easy just join a queue for the dungeon/boss etc and you will be grouped with random players and after you're done you never have to talk to them again if you don't feel like it.

• kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229

Thanks for the good answers all... looking forward to playing the game.

Looks like I will miss the beta4 event - unless one of you folks could PM/share a key with me... otherwise, see you in game after head-start/launch!!

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

Looks like I will miss the beta4 event

Don't think so.

There's a lot of false stuff floating around about beta 4 for some reason, but the event is supposed to be temporarily closed and should open when beta 4 starts again.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

Look under "Deadlines for Beta Test Applications and Beta Code Registration". Interpret it as you will.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Looks like I will miss the beta4 event - unless one of you folks could PM/share a key with me... otherwise, see you in game after head-start/launch!!

Anyone who registers for beta by the 30th - tomorrow - gets into phase 4 - hence 'open' beta.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

I would be really surprised if you were not able to get in. Last beta phase I managed to get my hands on about 5 beta keys for my friends simply by visiting various sites. I also have one extra, and i'll send it your way if a buddy doesn't need it.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

And, as I said, the Lodestone and the main website say the beta phase will reopen once Phase 4 starts.

People seriously need to stop spreading false information already.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by NagelRitter

And, as I said, the Lodestone and the main website say the beta phase will reopen once Phase 4 starts.

People seriously need to stop spreading false information already.

I was just repeating the initial announcement - if its outdated, listen to this guy.

• WKMitchellWKMitchell Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Ya the Beta registration will re-open when open beta starts.  So no need to worry about that but it does make one wonder with 1.6mil+ applications all ready if they aren't going to possibly restrict access somewhat to new applications so that we don't all explode said servers.
  • ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by twrule

Anyone who registers for beta by the 30th - tomorrow - gets into phase 4 - hence 'open' beta.

Well I was registered with 3 emails and only 1 of them got the phase 4 invite.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

you wont miss it the sign up for it starts when phase 4 starts so yea

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Thanks!

krulux

You are a lucky person because you can experience most classic Final Fantasy titles for the first time then :D

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by WKMitchell
    Ya the Beta registration will re-open when open beta starts.  So no need to worry about that but it does make one wonder with 1.6mil+ applications all ready if they aren't going to possibly restrict access somewhat to new applications so that we don't all explode said servers.

No better way to test there server player load and sign-on capability then letting the floodgates open! lol I am sure there will be hiccups but that's what usually happens.

• OmrieOmrie Member UncommonPosts: 116

You might like this game, it's more of a Diet FFXI, and theme park based game, with cameos from previous Final Fanasy games such as FFXIII (lightning will come out in the game).

But yeah, faster paced, more actiony, it's basically WoW and Guildwars mixed into one for an awesome game :)

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Sal1
    Originally posted by WKMitchell

No better way to test there server player load and sign-on capability then letting the floodgates open! lol I am sure there will be hiccups but that's what usually happens.

The stress tests were supposed to be the last phase :P.  Which is honestly probably why they decided to do this way.  Probably testing more server optimization early on in Phase 4 before opening it up more.