Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is vanguard really considerd the best old school mmo....?

DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

Ok, so all this time I was looking for a game that was considerd an oldschool fantasy pve centred mmo. I heard from several people on here that vanguard was really good for oldschool pve, well I tried it and these are some of my experiances:

1. Slow leveling speed, felt about right.

2. It was very solo quest driven for me for awhile.

3. Dungeons were very slow paced. Crapload of mobs in every room, literally spent over 4 hours once in KE with a group of 3, started with more, but it was taking so long, 2 of um loged off.

4. While renting a flying mount, I got stuck in a mountain.

5. Completely zoneless world, well accept the constant 2 second lock up when I cross those chunk lines.

6. riding on someones boat, was cool at first, but then it started studdering constantly, and when I got off I literally was watching my other party members run up towerd the sky....

7. A lot of days I would run around the world and not see hardly anyone around, unless im near a rift portal someware.

8. I couldn't figure out crafting, tried it, but was way over my head. So many steps to make a single item.

9. Diplomacy, tried it, and well it was abit to complex for me to figure out aswell.

10. Riding the giant elevator in KE, my other group members were flickering around my screen, hard to look at.

11. Some quest I did, literally wanted me to kill 100 of the same mob.... that woulda took me over 2 hours, abit extreme.

After playing that, I don't know if I could ever go back to an oldschool mmo. I literally can't stand being in a dungeon for over 2 hours at a time. Trying to figure out crafting in that game made my head hurt. Same with diplomacy. Was a very lonely experience for me.

Is Vanguard really considerd the best old school fantasy mmo?

If that's the case I don't think I could ever go back to the oldschool style after playing that game.

PS. I know this isn't the vanguard forumn, but even that forumn is pretty much dead.

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I always considered EQ1 a much better MMO than Vanguard......I think all Vanguard brought to the table was a nice crafting system....Diplomacy was a different concept though I dont think it ever actually had any practical use did it?....Also Vanguard was such a technological piece of crap that it turned alot of us off.
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

To be honest, yes Vanguard is one of the best "old school" mmos. At least if you insist on semi current grafics. If you don't care about grafics, just go and play the only real gem out there: Everquest 1.

To catch some of your points regarding Vanguard:

It is buggy as hell, since it is almost dead. It had one of the worst launches ever and died pretty fast due to that. The grafics paired with a bad engine made the game unplayable for most of the peeps, even at the lowest settings (count me in on that group, sadly).  So you will not get a polished game, even after all these years, since VG is barly making any cash, let alone enough to hire devs to improve the game. It is however better then most current titels if you ask me. But that might be because i hate the dumbed down crap.

Crafting in Vanguard is like crafting in Everquest 2. You need to actually craft the items yourself and every single one. No "farm stuff, hit button, win". Crafting is a real profession and you have to activly do it. This is a very big factor to seperate VG from dumbed down games. Some people may not like it if they have to do something to craft epics, but oh well. Pay somone else to do it for you. Only good for the economy :-)

Same goes for diplomacy. It is a game in itself. Consider it a card game of sorts. You have your 4 ressources and cards to either improve your ressources, steal the other ressources, or use said ressources to gain the upper hand. It is quite fun, once you get the hang of it and it is great fun to figure out a good "deck" to beat stronger enemys.

Having that said, VG is a dying horse. It had some semi revivals, but nothing major. I would not reccoment it as a lasting experience, but it is a very fun game to get into still. Should not play it alone tho, since community is pretty small. Get 1 or 2 friends to start with you and you will have a blast. I started with my GF and we had a solid 2 months worth of great fun before we moved back to everquest 1 ;-)

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

sorry for being blunt, but points 8 and 9 told me that you are not person of whose opinions i should care at all

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Zaradoom

To be honest, yes Vanguard is one of the best "old school" mmos. At least if you insist on semi current grafics. If you don't care about grafics, just go and play the only real gem out there: Everquest 1.

I'm hitting a wall with Lineage II right now which is becoming more and more instanced dailies and I'm not looking for that. After 7 years of playing L2 I think I'm finally done with it because of the daily treadmill (if I wanted that I'd be playing WoW :p)

So back to other old games that have the grind and lack of (daily) instances, and VG did come to mind as well as EQ1. Right now installing both and see which of the two will stay on my system. Still have an active Station Pass so I can enjoy both games to the max ;)

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    I always considered EQ1 a much better MMO than Vanguard......I think all Vanguard brought to the table was a nice crafting system....Diplomacy was a different concept though I dont think it ever actually had any practical use did it?....Also Vanguard was such a technological piece of crap that it turned alot of us off.

diplomacy gives you quests, buffs and consumables (and equipment but afaik only diplomacy one). not to mention it is a great way to control "informations" (dialog), because you only see everything npc has to tell you if you win

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

If your goal is to avoid difficult things and long dungeon runs.  

If you just want easily accessible content that you can get to and finish in short work with a few friends.

In my opinion - stay away from any MMO people call "old school."

Many of those games are appreciated for their difficulty and immersive gameplay, not their accessibility.

I'm not trying to be rude, I don't feel there is any wrong or right way to have fun.  It just sounds to me like you aren't going to like this particular area of the MMORPG genre.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I'd say LotRO for best oldschool pve mmo, but I'm biased by the lore :)

As for Vanguard, to be honest, I agree with Benedikt's "blunt" post about point 8 and 9... while you're right on the bugs and the less populated (empty) starter area, crafting is a nice part in Vanguard. And the Diplomacy, well, it's awesome and not that complex at all "to figure out".

Actually I put it earlier on the Vanguard thread that SOE could make a standalone game from it, I'd buy it right away :) diplomacy is fun.

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by Dzone

No.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    @OP: After reading your post i came to the conclusion you don't like PvE oldschool experience. Try GW2 instead.. maybe more your cup of tea. And never ever again ask for a oldschool mmo. It really is not your cup of tea.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Stromm
    Originally posted by Dzone

No.

This ^^.

Not even close. On the technical side alone, the game was very poor. Massively under-developed at launch and needing at least another year of development, the game suffered from a myriad of problems, some of which are still there. Badly unoptimized and with an unfinished engine, it made original SWG look like a bug-free gem by comparison. No, just no.

And frankly I don't know anyone that WOULD consider Vanguard the "best old school MMO" either, and a lot of my friends and I played them all, just about.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Everquest 1 is still your best old school MMO. They've gone through great lengths to make it accessible to low levels with the defiant gear line and mercenaries. Endgame is still damn fun too.
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

VG was and still is a steaming pile of shit from my understanding. I played at release for a few months then quit. 

The game had so much potential, if the damm thing actually worked it would have changed the course of mmo development, most likley to the extent that SWTOR, RIFT and all the other crap clones never being made or at the very least very different in their design by a large degree.

It was the original 'sandpark/themebox', even today no game has come even close to the scope of what it tried to do in some respects. If only the game wasnt buggy, crashy and lagged like hell in both ping and fps.