Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The only thing keeping me from revisiting VG...

TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
...is the fact that you can't use yellow items or better without subscribing. I wish SOE would mirror Trion's F2P model and make all accessible content free. Can't really use the things you craft, defeats the purpose of going on raids or deep dungeon crawls, and gimps you big time at higher levels.
Isaiah 41:10

Comments

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    It is why I haven't given the game a try. I don't want to have to work around the barrier, even as a subscriber it would be an issue for those I may play with and that can affect me.
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Been playing again recently, leveling a blood mage.

Just checked the exchange, and there are people actually selling the SC unlock item thingies for 10-20 gold. You could I guess just buy those and not spend a dime on SC/subscribing for yellow+ gear.

Otherwise I agree though, it is an annoying restriction in both Vanguard and EQ2.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Most of SoE i jsut consider there F2P model as a extended demo personly.
  • MMOrtyMMOrty Member Posts: 13

I have been really enjoying Vanguard, but I am a Gold Subscriber, so I don't run into things like this.

I do like that people can buy the unlocks from other players though, that will help a lot.  The one thing that I don't like is the exp. When you are a Silver Subscriber, your EXP is much slower than gold.  At first I thought this was cool, until I started playing with my son who had a free account (silver).

The way we have got around that though is just by me turning off EXP for a little while so he can catch up.  It works fine, but I think it would be nice not to have to worry about that.

• DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78
    Another option would be for you to join a brotherhood with each other, so that you split exp.
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by Talemire
    ...is the fact that you can't use yellow items or better without subscribing. I wish SOE would mirror Trion's F2P model and make all accessible content free. Can't really use the things you craft, defeats the purpose of going on raids or deep dungeon crawls, and gimps you big time at higher levels.

This may shock you, so you should sit down.

MMORPGs cost millions of dollars and take years to create.  Companies actually expect to not only get that money back but to make a profit and pay for ongoing costs.

So...they kind of need to make money somehow.

Saying...I don't get to play the complete game without paying is kind of derp.  No kidding!  At some point they're hoping you'll actually pay SOMETHING.

Now, I personally hate how SOE does F2P and it's disgusting that EQN, steaming pile that it appears it's going to be, is going with their crappy F2P right out the door.

On top of the general suck SOE gives zero or little consideration to people who previously bought or subbed to their games.  I was gonna dink with EQ2 again recently and haven't for years since it was sub-based (and I had bought the game and subbed on and off).  I log in, my account is jacked up, characters all over the place (lowbies in high level zones), gear locked all over the place, everything was a mess.  EQ2 is complex enough without a layer of cash shop crapped all over it.  I just logged out and stopped the patcher and uninstalled.  I'll never touch EQ2 again.

TERA and Rift, as you say, have gentler F2P, but not without their quirks.  TERA's cash shop is so dramatically overpriced it's flat out comical and the outfits and other junk you can buy have removed any shred of immersion the game ever had.  Rift has facilitated cheating with REX (you can basically buy in game currency for cash, which is cheating in most real games, or was before the genre hit the gutter).

But it's the nature of F2P that it's NOT REALLY FREE!  It's free to demo, free to experiment, free to only get so far - but eventually to actually fully enjoy yourself, you need to pay SOMETHING.

Why people think they deserve or are entitled to multi-million dollar entertainment is beyond me.

F2P is crap.  And part of the reason for it is creating this whole generation of gamers who think games should actually be free.  I suppose if you live at home with mommy til you're 40 you may not actually ever understand the realities of money, jobs, life, etc.  Who knows!

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Voqar

This may shock you, so you should sit down.

MMORPGs cost millions of dollars and take years to create.  Companies actually expect to not only get that money back but to make a profit and pay for ongoing costs.

So...they kind of need to make money somehow.

Saying...I don't get to play the complete game without paying is kind of derp.  No kidding!  At some point they're hoping you'll actually pay SOMETHING.

Now, I personally hate how SOE does F2P and it's disgusting that EQN, steaming pile that it appears it's going to be, is going with their crappy F2P right out the door.

On top of the general suck SOE gives zero or little consideration to people who previously bought or subbed to their games.  I was gonna dink with EQ2 again recently and haven't for years since it was sub-based (and I had bought the game and subbed on and off).  I log in, my account is jacked up, characters all over the place (lowbies in high level zones), gear locked all over the place, everything was a mess.  EQ2 is complex enough without a layer of cash shop crapped all over it.  I just logged out and stopped the patcher and uninstalled.  I'll never touch EQ2 again.

TERA and Rift, as you say, have gentler F2P, but not without their quirks.  TERA's cash shop is so dramatically overpriced it's flat out comical and the outfits and other junk you can buy have removed any shred of immersion the game ever had.  Rift has facilitated cheating with REX (you can basically buy in game currency for cash, which is cheating in most real games, or was before the genre hit the gutter).

But it's the nature of F2P that it's NOT REALLY FREE!  It's free to demo, free to experiment, free to only get so far - but eventually to actually fully enjoy yourself, you need to pay SOMETHING.

Why people think they deserve or are entitled to multi-million dollar entertainment is beyond me.

F2P is crap.  And part of the reason for it is creating this whole generation of gamers who think games should actually be free.  I suppose if you live at home with mommy til you're 40 you may not actually ever understand the realities of money, jobs, life, etc.  Who knows!

Good thing I took a seat, because it did shock me since I expected to be able to play a game and its entirety for free as advertised. I guess there really is no such thing as a free lunch. And yeah, you guessed it man! I'm 40 and still at home with mommy (rolls eyes).

Isaiah 41:10
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I really love the game but that is a really dumb way to handle ftp
  • Fly666monkeyFly666monkey Member UncommonPosts: 161
    I agree with the OP. I understand that the game needs to make money, but destroying the community by separating it into the "Haves" and "Have Nots" is not the way to do it. I'm willing to put up with the stupidity of things like RNG lockboxes if it means not having to deal with these kinds of restrictions.
  • In my case - I played for free up until about level 20. I really wanted to decide if I like it. I had the Hunter's League and a level 20 orange crafting gear sets sitting in my inventory. I just held onto it until I decided, 'Yes, I like this game and what I'm doing in it. It is worth my $15.00 for a month'. Now I'm cruising around on my boat that I just finished crafting last night. 
  • fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

Come on now......the only thing? Let's be honest here.

• Big_DataBig_Data Member UncommonPosts: 48

This is one of my major concerns with EverQuest Next.  I know there is this huge debate as to whether an MMO should launch as subscription or F2P, and there are a few games that have a decent F2P system (RIFT).  But I am not a fan with how SOE implemented cash shops in both EQ2 and Vanguard.

Though, frankly, I prefer sub-only MMO's.

• kain6993kain6993 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by Voqar

This may shock you, so you should sit down.  *.*

Right on the money V. This is why I am  not currently sub'd to any MMO's.

• VahraneVahrane Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Originally posted by MMOrty

I have been really enjoying Vanguard, but I am a Gold Subscriber, so I don't run into things like this.

I do like that people can buy the unlocks from other players though, that will help a lot.  The one thing that I don't like is the exp. When you are a Silver Subscriber, your EXP is much slower than gold.  At first I thought this was cool, until I started playing with my son who had a free account (silver).

The way we have got around that though is just by me turning off EXP for a little while so he can catch up.  It works fine, but I think it would be nice not to have to worry about that.

Vanguard is one of the few games with such an extensive amount of leveling content that I willingly turned my exp off in order to experience multiple different areas without being over leveled to the point of trivializing them. The Shadowhound/Unicorn mount quests alone can take you from level 21 to 30 iirc. Each to their own though.

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146
    I expected to be able to play a game and its entirety for free as advertised. I guess there really is no such thing as a free lunch. And yeah, you guessed it man! I'm 40 and still at home with mommy (rolls eyes).

I think I found your problem right here^ 

What is ever free, especially when its something worth a damn? I bet you were really surprised when you found out that getting your /free/ credit score online came with caveats as well (should have used creditkarma!) 

I played as well and was initially quite miffed at having this obstacle, but 

1) its cheap to unlock

2) if you absolutely refuse to pay RL cash, its a cheap buy on the AH as well

If you havent already disregarded my post in anger, know that you passed over one HELL of a game over a non-issue. But I guess if you were unattached enough to leave over that then we are on two different wavelengths, taste-wise.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

You can get 5 item unlockers for $2.50, seriously man you are not playing a game cause ever couple of months you might have to spend like $2-5. Doesn't say much for you i'm afraid and even still it isn't necessary and Vanguard is $29 for 3 months if you get to where you want infinite unlocks etc., less than $10 a month, good luck finding more value for your money cause Vanguard is one of the best valued F2P/P2P games out there.

You are essentially putting down one of the best F2P games on the market.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    game is still pretty buggy too. A lot of falling through the world and falling to your death when you cross a chunk line at altitude.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011