Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "Ask the Devs a question" thread! (Not suggestions)

Comments

• GholosGholos Member Posts: 209

You have said that this game will have a shooter style gameplay and that will be a MMO, so if i havent misunderstand W40KEC should be an hybrid between an FPS and a MMO, but in those game the survivability of your character is supposed to be very different: easy to kill in a FPS, considerably harder to kill in a MMO, so i would to ask you:

how many hits approx. can withstand the tougher class of the game wearing a powered armor before being killed? assuming that it is attacked by a player with a normal weapon like a lasgun or a bolter.

thank you

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
    -Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• mintycmintyc Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Gholos

You have said that this game will have a shooter style gameplay and that will be a MMO, so if i havent misunderstand W40KEC should be an hybrid between an FPS and a MMO, but in those game the survivability of your character is supposed to be very different: easy to kill in a FPS, considerably harder to kill in a MMO, so i would to ask you:

how many hits approx. can withstand the tougher class of the game wearing a powered armor before being killed? assuming that it is attacked by a player with a normal weapon like a lasgun or a bolter.

thank you

what you are refering to is known as TTK (time to kill), now if i remember the live streams correctly it was stated by the devs that they thought the TTK in bourderlands was to long and the TTK in planetside 2 was to short.

also the game is not an FPS MMO it is a TPS MMO (third person) think planetside with SPACE MARINE style shooing and melee combat.

• freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176

2. at this point all i can say is that there will be flying vehicles, though from what i know it has not been decided if they will be actually controllable.

Glorious. 

Will there be dueling? As in, can I challenge an enemy player to a duel, and only he and I can wound eachother?

Will there be interfactional communication in-game? As in, can my Ork trashtalk that Eldar?

How *large* are the battlefields expected to be (namely, I'm hoping we don't have to run a half hour to get there)? Will there be any safe zones/warcamps where players can take a break?

Customizable banners?

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

• Sive0nSive0n Member UncommonPosts: 28

From the newsletter:

What classes are in the game?

Each faction features a unique selection of classes drawn from their lore, and each character in a faction has the opportunity to choose from a variety of classes when they deploy on the field.

For the Space Marine faction, a few of the classes you can choose from include Tactical Marines, Devastators, Assault Marines, or Apothecaries (Wolf Priests in the case of the Space Wolves).

Check out their codices if you want to speculate - more details soon!

So is there no mention of Techmanrines? Will we see them before or after release?

I thought the Techmarines would be needed to construct temporary placements such as cover, turrets, sentries or mine fields, as well as repair other war machines such as vehicles and maybe provide support to their brethren by carrying extra stuff (like ammo) with their servo-arms.

• SavijSavij Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by Sive0n

From the newsletter:

What classes are in the game?

Each faction features a unique selection of classes drawn from their lore, and each character in a faction has the opportunity to choose from a variety of classes when they deploy on the field.

For the Space Marine faction, a few of the classes you can choose from include Tactical Marines, Devastators, Assault Marines, or Apothecaries (Wolf Priests in the case of the Space Wolves).

Check out their codices if you want to speculate - more details soon!

So is there no mention of Techmanrines? Will we see them before or after release?

I thought the Techmarines would be needed to construct temporary placements such as cover, turrets, sentries or mine fields, as well as repair other war machines such as vehicles and maybe provide support to their brethren by carrying extra stuff (like ammo) with their servo-arms.

For the Space Marine faction, a few of the classes you can choose

that means that there will be more, and techmarine will be in for sure. who else should repair vehicles?^^

be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Savij

that means that there will be more, and techmarine will be in for sure. who else should repair vehicles?^^

i am not that sure, i prefer techmarines to be npc, they are too valuable for the chapter to be in the first front line or anywhere near of it, and when they are on the battlefield, who maintain the armory(weapons,wehicles...etc.) or oversee the space marinification? they do more serious and valuable work, far from the lines, back in there base than shot with a bolter and kill some ork.

Ok, here is my questions for the devs:

1.: Eldars:  players exarch is a possibility ?

2.: Seeing the dev team in the game like npcs or just heard you guyz voice would be interesting, any plan about this?

3.: i know its early to ask (and sure is a secret ) about the backstory, so i am not ask that, but in other hand you guys write it or have a writer(or Games workshop help with it) ?

• SavijSavij Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by Nonderyon

i am not that sure, i prefer techmarines to be npc, they are too valuable for the chapter to be in the first front line or anywhere near of it, and when they are on the battlefield, who maintain the armory(weapons,wehicles...etc.) or oversee the space marinification? they do more serious and valuable work, far from the lines, back in there base than shot with a bolter and kill some ork.

fun > lore

thats what they said, and it wouldnt be really lorebreaking to have them on front. they are marines after all and they excist for war!

and i think they will have repairclasses for all faction, who else could it be for SM? techmarines? yes. ^^

be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

fun > lore

thats what they said, and it wouldnt be really lorebreaking to have them on front. they are marines after all and they excist for war!

and i think they will have repairclasses for all faction, who else could it be for SM? techmarines? yes. ^^

"fun > Lore" is pritty serious statement, we like w40k because of the Lore, and not because we can use some weapons, or wear armour or play ork, we like them because what they are in w40k, and i dont want to mention why the previous w40k projects failed in the main place.

And when i remember correctly, they say something like stick with the lore, and not born something what is not in it, or something, my memory rusted :/

So here is born some new questions(just make things clear) for the Devs:

- How much you guys willing to change w40k lore to made something playable? (example: lot of players want to play gretchin armed with heavy bolters in both hand, or imperial guards die easy, and start cry to devs made them durable like a space marine

because not fun to play with...etc. are you guys willing to change that much?).

• patrickbalthazarpatrickbalthazar Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by freakishbean

Will there be dueling? As in, can I challenge an enemy player to a duel, and only he and I can wound eachother?

maybe, we thought about it, but no decision made

Will there be interfactional communication in-game? As in, can my Ork trashtalk that Eldar?

in some way for sure. if there will be a global chat channel or not is not decided yet.

How *large* are the battlefields expected to be (namely, I'm hoping we don't have to run a half hour to get there)? Will there be any safe zones/warcamps where players can take a break?

we are thinking about some sort of 'fast travel systems'. watch the news for that.

Customizable banners?

in some way yes. not decided yet what exactly.

Patrick Balthazar
    Tech Lead - Behaviour Online
    Lead Programmer - Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
    www.EternalCrusade.com - #eternalcrusade - @lordpada

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar

maybe, we thought about it, but no decision made

in some way for sure. if there will be a global chat channel or not is not decided yet.

we are thinking about some sort of 'fast travel systems'. watch the news for that.

Customizable banners?

in some way yes. not decided yet what exactly.

1-What is your favorite Army?

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

OI! I GOTS SOME QUESTIONS FOR YA HUMIES. PREDDY SIMPLE.

1: WAAAGH????????

2: DA BOSS WANTS SOME SKULLS FER HIS POINTY STIKK. WHATCHA HUMIES GUN'DO ABOUT IT?

Just kidding. Now for some real questions.

Though it's probably been asked before, do you have any plans to implement other 'cannon-fodderish' (read free-to-play) units in other factions, such as, say, Scout Marines or Chaos Heretics, so players can get a feel of the faction before buying into its more powerful units? I mean, sure, everyone and their dog wants to be a Space Marine, but what if the faction employs some different mechanic that is not present in the free-to-play Ork Boyz and which players might end up being at odds with?

That said, will the different factions employ different gameplay mechanics, so the choice in faction amounts to more than just an aesthetic choice?

• BeerSamuraiBeerSamurai Member Posts: 69

I know the iconic weapons of each faction will be present, but  will we be seeing specialized weapons in game?

I mean like the Conversion beam with Space Marines or the Shokk Attack Gun with the Orks.  Or even the Flakka Dakka Gunz.

Dreah I'm yunk, wazzit matter to you?

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

A system to prevent race/faction hopping?

and please, no fast travel. it kills the world and the battles.

• freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176

How will ammunition be handled? Front-line resupply, airdrops, player delivery?

In the army, we carried 7 magazines on us at all times, each magazine holding 30 rounds. So we're lookin' at 210 rounds of ammo before needing resupply, and we only ever fired single shots (never, ever EVER did we burst fire... yeah, m16a2 guy here). How will ammunition per-player be handled?

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183

How will ammunition be handled? Front-line resupply, airdrops, player delivery?

In the army, we carried 7 magazines on us at all times, each magazine holding 30 rounds. So we're lookin' at 210 rounds of ammo before needing resupply, and we only ever fired single shots (never, ever EVER did we burst fire... yeah, m16a2 guy here). How will ammunition per-player be handled?

I don't think anyone has ever accused 40k of adhering to sound military strategy with regards to ammunition consumption.

• OniFeeZOniFeeZ Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

I hope there isn't a system to prevent race/faction hopping. At the end of the day you should play the characters/factions you want.

Fast Travel, i don't know. I think Terminators should be able to fast travel.... but I don't think anyone else should be able too. And fast travel perhaps only if they're within a certain 'distance.'

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by OniFeeZ
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

I hope there isn't a system to prevent race/faction hopping. At the end of the day you should play the characters/factions you want.

Considering they'll only have one mega server, they're going to need some system to allow faction swapping to avoid locking people in to one faction. Purely from a business standpoint, they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't. 

I do however think they need something to discourage the fairweather effect. 

• wghtopsidewghtopside Member Posts: 36

Will there be a strict differences between classes? And if so, how do I switch them? For example I am an Eldar Dire Avenger or maybe a Guardian and I want to "respec" to a psyker class how do I get the right gear for that? We all know that even by the looks there is huge difference between Guardian and Warlock gear. Do I get starting "basic class gear" when I "respec"? Or maybe I have to create another character for another class? If so, how many characters will I be able to create for each race? Can I create characters in different races on one account?

Thank you.

• OniFeeZOniFeeZ Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by StMichael 

I do however think they need something to discourage the fairweather effect. 

I don't think so personally, it's human nature to want to win. Some ideas would be to reward guild participation with the renown system I mentioned earlier (possibly in another thread), even if the 'guild' doesn't really participate. With higher rewards for the longer you've been in the guild (and capped at a certain percent).

Truth to be told though, I don't really think any thing should be done from their end at least initially, if during the course of the game's life there's definite skewing towards particular factions from other factions or if there's some measurable effect, then that should be the time they look into it.

Other than that, if they can make the classes 'fun', then it should solve themselves.

Originally posted by NonderyonOk, here is my questions for the devs:

1.: Eldars:  players exarch is a possibility ?

2.: Seeing the dev team in the game like npcs or just heard you guyz voice would be interesting, any plan about this?

3.: i know its early to ask (and sure is a secret ) about the backstory, so i am not ask that, but in other hand you guys write it or have a writer(or Games workshop help with it) ?

1. too early to say - we haven't revealed the Eldars classes yet.

2. not sure what you mean? we will play the game ourselves for sure (at least i am looking forward to have fun with you guys on the battlefields) - if you wanna see us or hear us, we had an AMA on twich.tv   

http://www.twitch.tv/40kcrusade/b/426139667

http://www.twitch.tv/40kcrusade/b/426266574

3. hehe, yes too early - but we have a writer for that :)

Patrick Balthazar

fun > lore

"fun > Lore" is pritty serious statement, we like w40k because of the Lore, and not because we can use some weapons, or wear armour or play ork, we like them because what they are in w40k, and i dont want to mention why the previous w40k projects failed in the main place.

And when i remember correctly, they say something like stick with the lore, and not born something what is not in it, or something, my memory rusted :/

So here is born some new questions(just make things clear) for the Devs:

- How much you guys willing to change w40k lore to made something playable? (example: lot of players want to play gretchin armed with heavy bolters in both hand, or imperial guards die easy, and start cry to devs made them durable like a space marine

because not fun to play with...etc. are you guys willing to change that much?).

wow this is probably one of the hardest questions to answer. 

in general the statement from Savij is correct - Fun should be in the foreground, though lore is important too. I wouldn't go as far and say that we will ignore lore just to make something fun, but think about this:

we are trying to make a pvp game - that means players die a lot - now Space Marines don't die that much, especially since there is only a limited amount of SM in a Chapter. Now what I can see is some sort of story about that, that you don't really die or something, just wounded etc. I mean we cannot make perma-death for the players ;) that would take out the fun of the game. On the other hand we don't want to just say 'there, he respawned and can run back to battle' - so in general we will try to find game mechanics that will fit the lore, but sometimes lore that can be applied to TT or books etc simply don't work in a game like this.

hope that paints a picture for your question :)

Patrick Balthazar

Originally posted by dinams

1-What is your favorite Army?

I like the Black Templars a lot :) 

Patrick Balthazar

Originally posted by StormwindX

OI! I GOTS SOME QUESTIONS FOR YA HUMIES. PREDDY SIMPLE.

1: WAAAGH????????

2: DA BOSS WANTS SOME SKULLS FER HIS POINTY STIKK. WHATCHA HUMIES GUN'DO ABOUT IT?

Just kidding. Now for some real questions.

Though it's probably been asked before, do you have any plans to implement other 'cannon-fodderish' (read free-to-play) units in other factions, such as, say, Scout Marines or Chaos Heretics, so players can get a feel of the faction before buying into its more powerful units? I mean, sure, everyone and their dog wants to be a Space Marine, but what if the faction employs some different mechanic that is not present in the free-to-play Ork Boyz and which players might end up being at odds with?

That said, will the different factions employ different gameplay mechanics, so the choice in faction amounts to more than just an aesthetic choice?

there is a good chance that after launch we will try to add more f2p factions/playable classes.

if you ask for e.g. chapter specific classes - thats very likely.

Patrick Balthazar

Originally posted by quotheraving

If techmarines are too valuable to be on the frontlines of an assault then why are they part of the armylist and why can a marine player field so many of them (1 per non transport vehicle)?

ok, so just for your info - techmarines have a place in Eternal Crusade, but I highly doubt it they will make it to launch. Mostly because they are a much bigger challenge from design and animations :)

Patrick Balthazar

Originally posted by BeerSamurai

I know the iconic weapons of each faction will be present, but  will we be seeing specialized weapons in game?

I mean like the Conversion beam with Space Marines or the Shokk Attack Gun with the Orks.  Or even the Flakka Dakka Gunz.

i would say no for launch - but there might be npcs or story elements about those kind of weapons, and at some point they might be added to the game - the problem is to balance for those super rare weapons with the game.

Patrick Balthazar