Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Being More Powerful

Comments

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

"While you play through a game you want to feel like you're always getting stronger."

Yes, but only if there is a limit. If I have to work all the time through gear threadmill then I won't play that game, every mmo has done that. Gw2 offers a reachable carrot. Once legendary armor or ascended armor is released there will be plenty for everyone to do, but still that max limit is reachable, and you don't have to play for years to have max gear.

Edit: and also they need to add more skills which they promised.

• DiemosDiemos Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Originally posted by Diemos
     everytime a topic is posted the haters come in droves repeating eachother with the same comments that have been posted since day 1.

Yeah how dare I took their promise that I won't have to gear up again which was part of their manifesto.

Makes me a hater clearly.

[mod edit]

Congratulations on making one of the most frequent comments made by people that dislike the game. Awww the big Promise from the manifesto quote.. You dont HAVE to gear up for anything, its an optional grind. I have a good friend who mostly does PvP and he still hasnt geared out in Exotic/Ascended gear yet he plays very well with his class and clears content.

Thanks for letting me know about the mandatory gear checks I run into every night I log on to GW2.

[mod edit]

[PvX]Tempest - Check us out

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    No mention on whether it would have the same myopic world as CoH.  One of the major reasons why I dislike that game was due to such a small and relatively unexplorable world.  You had to zone into buildings and even then, only for missions.  No points of interest outside of mission objectives.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Dakeru
     everytime a topic is posted the haters come in droves repeating eachother with the same comments that have been posted since day 1.

Yeah how dare I took their promise that I won't have to gear up again which was part of their manifesto.

Makes me a hater clearly.

Offtopic: I got a Diemos banned for botting not too long ago. Strange coincedences.

Congratulations on making one of the most frequent comments made by people that dislike the game. Awww the big Promise from the manifesto quote.. You dont HAVE to gear up for anything, its an optional grind. I have a good friend who mostly does PvP and he still hasnt geared out in Exotic/Ascended gear yet he plays very well with his class and clears content.

Thanks for letting me know about the mandatory gear checks I run into every night I log on to GW2.

As far as your off topic comment goes, your facts are wrong again...Ive never been banned, period.

Great deflection comment. You know exactly what is meant, yet you ll defend it anyways. Goes both ways, as you just proved.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Can we get better dungeon design too? I love being challenged, but what they had designed was just stupid/unfun.
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    So why exactly is this a problem? I see no reason to progress forever. GW2 has a pretty big skill factor, you can progress in that, and both WvW and sPvP is already adjusted for it.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Yes, I am excited for all the new things coming to GW2. I just finished my first 100% World Completion, so I have been wondering what to do next. All of the new content coming out every 2 weeks has been keeping me busy, along with doing dailies and getting my crafting up to 400 on my alt. For me, this new information is coming at a perfect time. I love the idea of crafting for Ascended gear, as I am not a big fan of dungeon running and I have not done any PvP in this game. WvW was fun enough while I was getting my POI's in the area, but it seems like it would get old quick. Honestly, GW2 is the best MMO out right now and I love that there is no monthly fee. With the addition of all this (free) new content they are really raising the bar for the next round of MMOs. It will be interesting to see what ESO, Wildstar, and EQNext do...
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by NagelRitter
    So why exactly is this a problem? I see no reason to progress forever. GW2 has a pretty big skill factor, you can progress in that, and both WvW and sPvP is already adjusted for it.

This ^

The article is mostly about how exciting the new features are. And yet another thread turned into a 'proof of why GW2 sucks!' thread. Typical MMORPG.com.

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    Shame they made the game that requires things like this to be added at a later date!
  • NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by aesperus

The article is mostly about how exciting the new features are.

Heh, I'd definitely love to see more done with skills and traits, though. As far as PvP goes, I understand this is easier to balance. But really, I want more ways to make my character mine. The current choices feel really claustrophobic at times.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Strange somehow all the things i predicted before release have become major isues now..

A LOT of people predicted many things that are plagueing GW2 now.

That being said, I always liked the following quote:

"When you make everyone special, no one can ever be special." ~ Unknown

Or something along those lines :). I think it illistrates that point that no one can ever be the "jack of all trades" dps/healer/tank/control in any game. People like rolls, in RL and in-game, and once you take that away in an RPG (hint: Role Playing Game, note the "ROLE" part?) it stops being fun for a lot of people. Without purpose people stop caring.

All of my friends quit GW2 a long time ago because of this. That, and their "mainstreaming" that they did to the game to make it head-smashworthingly easy.

I hope all the best for them though, real people in those jobs.

• ry7737ry7737 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    why not just reincarnate chars with special ability points that can only be earn thru reincarnation for a special reincarnation tree? have gear scale back up as u relvl.
  • BenezettaBenezetta Member UncommonPosts: 94
    It doesn't matter how many skills they add, we still have only 10 buttons on our hotbars.  And THAT is why it's getting boring.
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by NagelRitter

I think a lot of the people complaining are probably more into PvE.  Both views are valid opinions.  Some people find their enjoyment simply from battling other players and seeing where they stand vs. other people.  Other people have more of a connection with their character and get enjoyment from seeing that character grow in power.  When GW2 made a good chunk of their game about PvE it was inevitable that some players would feel unsatisfied with character growth at max level.

• NaaginNaagin Member UncommonPosts: 1

GW2 overcompensated, adding too few skills, and making the majority of each classes trait lines undesirable in what they term "challenging" content, i.e. dungeons, spvp, wvw.

This "article"? is so biased its pathetic. There is no news here, no inside info, no teaser or interpretation of teaser skills the writer got to see. In fact, WTF is this about anyway? Guesses? I can go to Reddit to hear fanbois gush or haters hate.

My main problem with the game is the future addition of dungeon content into the fractal format. You click on an entry point and hope you win the lottery to go into the dungeon of your choice? WTF is that?

This is quite possibly the stupidest design feature I have ever heard of. Even the adamant fans cant argue that the first 8 dungeons in Tyria involved you going to the ummm dungeon you want and entering it. I don't want to spin a wheel on the price is right, I want to go into the dungeons I like. If I don't like some, and they remain barren of players, then the devs responsible should use it as a learning tool for not developing subpar content.

It amazes me no one complains about RNG in dungeon selection, its fkin hideous.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Naagin

This "article"? is so biased its pathetic. There is no news here, no inside info, no teaser or interpretation of teaser skills the writer got to see. In fact, WTF is this about anyway? Guesses? I can go to Reddit to hear fanbois gush or haters hate.

welcome to 99% of MMORPG.com articles LOL

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Definitely agree more skills is the way to go. But I hope they are more interesting. A lot of the current utility skills are very disappointing. Still a fun game though.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Definitely agree more skills is the way to go. But I hope they are more interesting. A lot of the current utility skills are very disappointing. Still a fun game though.

Which is why I hope A-NET takes their time with the skills...which is what they are doing so far.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

Every article of David North feels like advertizing the game. I wouldn't be surprised to read the exact aticle next by Colin Johanson. Even the stuff about crafting feels about right. It feels like David is a GW2 dev and they don't like crafting. They feel it necessary to add, but don't really now how to do it.

Please try to write your future GW2 ads in a way they are more believable as a personal point of view. Thank you.

• AbstractedAbstracted Member Posts: 7
    I kinda dislike how people with no knowledge of the game whatsoever are the quickest ones to judge it. Those who complain about endgame; arenanet is constantly adding more content and story experiences every 2 weeks. It's up to the player to decide what their endgame is like.
    To the ones complaining about the lack of tanks...; idk what to say. Building a main tank in gw2 is about as easy as it gets... if you have the know-how. Same with healer. Hint: guardians do both excellently.
    when people hit 80 for the first time, they've only scratched the surface imo. I've clocked 900 hours on my Guardian and still having a total blast.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by Abstracted
    I kinda dislike how people with no knowledge of the game whatsoever are the quickest ones to judge it. Those who complain about endgame; arenanet is constantly adding more content and story experiences every 2 weeks. It's up to the player to decide what their endgame is like.
    To the ones complaining about the lack of tanks...; idk what to say. Building a main tank in gw2 is about as easy as it gets... if you have the know-how. Same with healer. Hint: guardians do both excellently.
    when people hit 80 for the first time, they've only scratched the surface imo. I've clocked 900 hours on my Guardian and still having a total blast.

This here is said a lot but it's not entirely true.

Sure you can use a shield and shout "Derp I'm a tank!!!" but with no taunts and can't hold aggro when everyone's a damage dealer it becomes impossible to execute.

Same for healing I tried healing others as elementalist but the amount healed is not enough to be 100% healer no matter what you say. Everyone is squishy even "tanks" and your pesky heals won't heal even half their health so don't expect me to believe healers work in gw2.

• verenovverenov Member UncommonPosts: 72

"I am handicapped...I'm psychotic."

• verenovverenov Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Tokken
    does that mean we will be overpowered at lower lvl areas? Help me understand...

Even though you are still down-leveled, you are still more powerful than those at level in the area. It's true that you won't one-shot everything, but you will still be able to take out mob(s) at a very fast rate just because of all your traits, gear, and skills acquired at max level.  I'm not sure if I'd use the word *overpowered* as group events are nowhere near solo-friendly.  Champions still pose great risk and normally require group effort to complete.

"I am handicapped...I'm psychotic."

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    There is however one problem with getting stronger and stronger at lv. 80. Sooner or later expansion will come and areas will have to be suited also for players that have leveled only to 80 and then stopped to play. If being able to continue jurney. Well... this stronger and stronger players will be then absolutely overpowered removing and fun from playing. Same problem happen with raiders in other games when next expansion comes out.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Congratulations on making one of the most frequent comments made by people that dislike the game. Awww the big Promise from the manifesto quote..

Hmm funny, I spend easily 5+ hours a day on the game but apparently I dislike it without noticing it. Just because I don't have purple glasses on that make me praise Anet on whatever they do.

I do see that they lied to me about the gear progression.

I do see that the candidate trials can only be won by abusing game mechanics. It has nothing to do with tactics and builds and  has clearly never been tested before its release.

No, Anet releases a lot of great content such as the Sanctum itself but I don't have the slightest reason to kiss their asses for the messed up parts of the content or the questionable cash items. 

Double your votes by paying cash, anyone?

Harbinger of Fools