Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just noticed Dark Elf in the picture has horns?

Comments

• GholosGholos Member Posts: 209
    Hovether even in D&D Drow dont have horns.

"Brute force not work? It because you not use enought of it"
    -Karg, Ogryn Bone'ead.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Tiefling?

Don't exist in EQ Lore. That's a D&D race.

I believe we can say you can 'lore' your way out of anything.

I'm guessing DEs grew horns - wouldn't be that far a stretch if Erudites can turn from black people with big heads into blue aliens with glowing tattoos.

• dezsodezso Member UncommonPosts: 19
    So the actual picture that was unveiled is actually how the characters will look? The picture looks a bit cartoonish to me, I expected a more realistic and detailed look for the toons.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by dezso
    So the actual picture that was unveiled is actually how the characters will look? The picture looks a bit cartoonish to me, I expected a more realistic and detailed look for the toons.

I think we all expected better from soe,  we will know next in a few days once soe live kicks off.  If they go this route for in game characters, there will be a lot of folks that play eq, and eq2 who will shun that game.

One can only hope that it is just a artist who has no idea about the lore, otherwise my hopes for this game have quickly went down the tubes.   The old saying of if I wanted to play wow I would be applies.  I find the painting myself over the top.

I know folks will say it is not all about the art style, well if you are sitting in front of your pc for hours on end and you hate the art style then your not going to stick with the game.   It is not all about gameplay, I have to also like the looks of it.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265

forget about the horns...look at that leg armor!  How does she walk around, let alone fight, with such huge clunky armor on her legs?

And why wear armor on your legs but no where else?  How does it make sense to leave your arms, torsoe, and head completely unprotected?

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I thought it was homage to Keith Parkinson. Does it really represent how the races will look in EQNext ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by cheyane
    I thought it was homage to Keith Parkinson. Does it really represent how the races will look in EQNext ?

Personally, I think folks are just guessing. In my opinion, EQ's art has never seemed to match or emulate the in-game look - so I'm not positive it would this time.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Yes i saw that too....long as they make the race evil, i can deal woth horns.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Just for reference, here is a webpic of the dark elves form EQ1:

And the new pic:

4 ears or 2 horns... Does it matter? There are appendages on the head that were never there before.

Atleast they still have the red bikini, cant be a female darkelf without the red bikini :P

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well i guess that in this version of EQ they do have horns...

I am more curious as to why she felt that she needed full plate for the arms and legs and a torn pillowcase for the rest..

Guess all dark elf vital organs are in the arms and legs =P

This have been a good conversation

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by tawess

Well i guess that in this version of EQ they do have horns...

I am more curious as to why she felt that she needed full plate for the arms and legs and a torn pillowcase for the rest..

Guess all dark elf vital organs are in the arms and legs =P

Darkelf Monk for some mean ass kicked with those plate boots/legs lol

• KezzadrixKezzadrix Member Posts: 90

To me it looks like small horns above the ear.  It would be new to Dark Elves in EverQuest but doesn't bother me at all.  As someone else posted, Innoruuk, the creator of the Dark Elves has horns above pointed ears as well, so it's not that strange that they may have them too.

The things I find most odd about the picture are the Ogre and whatever creature that is in front of the Dragon.  I will be upset if Ogres now look exactly like a WoW Orc.  I really hope that maybe that is an Orc and perhaps Orcs are now a playable race (though I would still be a bit disappointed they couldn't come up with their own idea).  A lot of people are guessing the small creature is maybe a Kobold, but it doesn't look anything like an EQ Kobold.  Kobolds didn't even have tails.  I think it looks more like some cross between a Ratongan and an Iksar or something reptilian.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Originally posted by Kezzadrix

The things I find most odd about the picture are the Ogre and whatever creature that is in front of the Dragon.  I will be upset if Ogres now look exactly like a WoW Orc.  I really hope that maybe that is an Orc and perhaps Orcs are now a playable race (though I would still be a bit disappointed they couldn't come up with their own idea).

It is undoubtedly an Ogre, given that it's clearly labeled as Ogre on everquestnext.com.

Originally posted by Kezzadrix

A lot of people are guessing the small creature is maybe a Kobold, but it doesn't look anything like an EQ Kobold.  Kobolds didn't even have tails.  I think it looks more like some cross between a Ratongan and an Iksar or something reptilian.

I think it's more than just a guess. I would say 99% certainty.

1- Terry Michaels: "That thing? in the painting is actually a Kobold."

2- The Gabor painting is the only painting we know of that he could be referring to (https://twitter.com/DaveGeorgeson/status/357300192887853056/photo/1)

3- The thing in the painting is almost certainly the little green fellow by the process of elimination (Kerran, Ogre, Firiona, Nagafen are labeled as such; the rest are humanoid races that are not unpredictable)

4- It is not a goblin. (https://twitter.com/terryjmichaels/statuses/360162676699176961)

5- We had several comparisons with the D&D reptilian-like Kobold that looked remarkably similar

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    5 more days and this player race speculation will be over image
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by Nadia

Maybe... There's no rule that says they have to 100% reveal anything.  They could save some for progressive website reveals or something.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Lokero
    Originally posted by Nadia

Maybe... There's no rule that says they have to 100% reveal anything.  They could save some for progressive website reveals or something.

Something tells me we will be getting most if not all the familiar races (Human, Barbarian, Erudite, Kerra, Iksar, Ogre, etc.)

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Torcip
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Tiefling?

This isn't DnD.  EQNext is supposed to be a re-imagining of the game isn't it? Maybe this time around they want dark elves to look a bit different than just differently colored elves.

Having a dark elf with some demon blood really isn't against EQs lore, even if they probably wouldn't call it a "tiefling".

It is pretty clear that Norrath have a lot of inspiration from Forgotten realms and dark elf with some demonic blood in them are common there so it makes sense to me.

Then again, maybe they wanted the dark elves to look more evil.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Maybe they're earrings.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    WOW how did we miss that for this long? 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Creatures and races should evolve,just like they do in real life.If there is an actual story line,then the creatures and races would have adapted to their surroundings.Not sure how they would create a story behind growing horns,but in Fantasy anything is possible.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Since this is supposed to be an alternate dimension of Norrath (I think I saw that somewhere), they will probably explain these changes in lore (except the things changed for artistic purpose). Maybe in this version of Norrath/EQN the dark elves are allied with demons/devils, even breeding with them, and there will be demon-type mobs and large zones/areas underground with content/explorable areas. Or maybe they just thought horns look cool.
  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Slukjan

forget about the horns...look at that leg armor!  How does she walk around, let alone fight, with such huge clunky armor on her legs?

And why wear armor on your legs but no where else?  How does it make sense to leave your arms, torsoe, and head completely unprotected?

gigantic shoulder armor and boots are all you need in fantasy game nowaday.

the bigger your shoulder the mightier you are.

Originally posted by ropenice
    Since this is supposed to be an alternate dimension of Norrath (I think I saw that somewhere), they will probably explain these changes in lore (except the things changed for artistic purpose). Maybe in this version of Norrath/EQN the dark elves are allied with demons/devils, even breeding with them, and there will be demon-type mobs and large zones/areas underground with content/explorable areas. Or maybe they just thought horns look cool.

Horns are always cool.  Why do you think so many people play Castanics in TERA?

Originally posted by Wizardry

Creatures and races should evolve,just like they do in real life.If there is an actual story line,then the creatures and races would have adapted to their surroundings.Not sure how they would create a story behind growing horns,but in Fantasy anything is possible.

Tell me about it.  In fact, creatures like Humans, Iksar, Kerrans, and Frogluks developing similar body shapes (plantigrade feet, opposibal thumbs, large brai ncavity) despite coming from vastly different classes and orders ALONE should be enough to tell you that.

Originally posted by iamjason1989
    Originally posted by Slukjan

gigantic shoulder armor and boots are all you need in fantasy game nowaday.

the bigger your shoulder the mightier you are.

I blame Rob Liedfeld for this trend.