Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Armor and Weapons

EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I had three observations about the picture on the EQN website.

1.  Female armor - I know this is pretty much how things go in fantasy, but I hope they include some sensible options for female armor.  I loved Dragon Age for the way they made female armors look reasonably useful.  But that Dark Elf gal is a classic - arms and legs with heavy plate but chest and torso hilariously exposed.

2.  Armor designs - I understand they already commented that artwork won't necessarily reflect in-game designs, but from the pic they seem to have adopted the exaggerated WOW style with HUGE shoulder-pads.  I hope this gets toned down a bit...

3.  Weapon sizes - has anyone noticed that the battle hammer being carried, one handed no less, by the female astride the dragon is about five times the size a human could lift?  I realize we are modeling heroes and larger than life fantasy characters, and also that they want people to see the details in what they are carrying.  But at a certain point it starts to look like a Roadrunner cartoon....hope they tweak this a bit.

Comments

• SneakyTurtleSneakyTurtle Member Posts: 41
    I just really hope I can be able to look Unique and cool, I don't want to look like everyone else.. like the beginning of GW2 when everyone wore Flame Legion or Arah. 

- SneakyTurtle

• Mistell1980Mistell1980 Member Posts: 8

Hehe hope female get cloth on (maybe there will be less female characters :p ) and that weapon fit to the character size so we dont run around with a weapon 3 times bigger than ourself :D but i do hope that we get some nice and cool weapons but am sure we will get that :)

Would be nice if dungeon,raid and world bosses drop loot that crafters was able to upgrade to something even better, add stats or something like that :) something that is a bit random so people dont all have the same stats. Perhaps the crafter can pick to add a buff effect or stats to the item. Add a stats and it will add a stats that the item already got :)

• MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173
    cultural armor, weapons would be cool.  every race having their own armor styles. 
  • Mistell1980Mistell1980 Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by MoonBeans
    cultural armor, weapons would be cool.  every race having their own armor styles. 

that should be crafting stuff, would be very cool :)

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by Mistell1980

Then you have to think of EQ1 and Seafarer's Ring Mail, a cultural armor set that did not have any graphics embellishment.   I was so disappointed.   I had even made an alt as my official Seafarer's Ring Mail spokes model.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Mendel

Then you have to think of EQ1 and Seafarer's Ring Mail, a cultural armor set that did not have any graphics embellishment.   I was so disappointed.   I had even made an alt as my official Seafarer's Ring Mail spokes model.

I wonder if that is where this Player Studio comes in.  Players develop a lot of the fluff and cosmetics themselves so you don't have to wait.  One of the disappointments of GW2 is how limited the visual clothing options are.  If EQN does this right, it will be a crafters and clothing designers dream come true.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by Ehliya

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I had three observations about the picture on the EQN website.

1.  Female armor - I know this is pretty much how things go in fantasy, but I hope they include some sensible options for female armor.  I loved Dragon Age for the way they made female armors look reasonably useful.  But that Dark Elf gal is a classic - arms and legs with heavy plate but chest and torso hilariously exposed.

2.  Armor designs - I understand they already commented that artwork won't necessarily reflect in-game designs, but from the pic they seem to have adopted the exaggerated WOW style with HUGE shoulder-pads.  I hope this gets toned down a bit...

3.  Weapon sizes - has anyone noticed that the battle hammer being carried, one handed no less, by the female astride the dragon is about five times the size a human could lift?  I realize we are modeling heroes and larger than life fantasy characters, and also that they want people to see the details in what they are carrying.  But at a certain point it starts to look like a Roadrunner cartoon....hope they tweak this a bit.

1. I kind of enjoy the escape from reality. In many high fantasy comics and other things, women are sexy and powerful. If you cover a woman up from head to toe in full plate complete with full plate helm with no modifiers, there would be zero way to determine man/woman. That wouldn't be fun.

2. I kind of enjoy these styles more than original EQ. They lend to the concept that armor is not just art on a character, but serves a purpose and looks like it has different weight and material to it, not just by color or pattern but density as well.

3. Once again taking from Comics and other places. The only thing I will agree with here is that the weapon should fit the character. So if your char looks like a toothpick they shouldn't be using a weapon that is obviously to big for them.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

I wonder if that is where this Player Studio comes in.  Players develop a lot of the fluff and cosmetics themselves so you don't have to wait.  One of the disappointments of GW2 is how limited the visual clothing options are.  If EQN does this right, it will be a crafters and clothing designers dream come true.

The key phrase here is 'If EQN does this right'.  Player's Studio in EQ1 only allows players to make graphical images for the Hero's Forge system.   And Hero's Forge requires a 1-time activation of $12 per character.   This charge prevents a lot of people from being able to use the Hero's Forge, which is nothing more than a method for attaching a cosmetic layer to a game which predates the concept of cosmetic outfits.   The EQ1 edition of Player's Studio designs items for sale in the cash shop only, usually in the 50 to 400 SC range.

So far, I've not see any really good images come from Player's Studio, nothing I'd consider investing the $12 + $4 to purchase and be able to use them.   Mostly, there have been some hats and shields coming from the players.   It may be that a full armor set might be too difficult to create for EQ1, given the various races / classes that would need to use it.  Some of the hats that SOE has produced have looked rather good, particularly the Irish hats for St. Patrick's Day, but nothing I'd want to put on my human warrior's head.

Certainly, a positive step would be to scrap the Hero's Forge concept entirely and develop EQN with a cosmetic layer built in.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

The key phrase here is 'If EQN does this right'.  Player's Studio in EQ1 only allows players to make graphical images for the Hero's Forge system.   And Hero's Forge requires a 1-time activation of $12 per character.   This charge prevents a lot of people from being able to use the Hero's Forge, which is nothing more than a method for attaching a cosmetic layer to a game which predates the concept of cosmetic outfits.   The EQ1 edition of Player's Studio designs items for sale in the cash shop only, usually in the 50 to 400 SC range.

So far, I've not see any really good images come from Player's Studio, nothing I'd consider investing the $12 + $4 to purchase and be able to use them.   Mostly, there have been some hats and shields coming from the players.   It may be that a full armor set might be too difficult to create for EQ1, given the various races / classes that would need to use it.  Some of the hats that SOE has produced have looked rather good, particularly the Irish hats for St. Patrick's Day, but nothing I'd want to put on my human warrior's head.

Certainly, a positive step would be to scrap the Hero's Forge concept entirely and develop EQN with a cosmetic layer built in.

More than likely SOE will probably keep the appearance system from EQ2 for EQN. This way you have the option of buying cosmetic/player made outfits from the cash shop or keeping that specific set of gear you just love the look of as your appearance set. 

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• frizzlepicklefrizzlepickle Member Posts: 72

I agree with your points completely. The thing to remember though is they most likely just paid a random artist to draw something for them. Based on PS2 graphics it won't look anything like that art. Yes I'm aware that art design changes a graphics engine's looks, but the chances of them going in the complete opposite direction visually than they've gone on most of their games are pretty low.

I've always hated how in games like WoW the daggers were sword, the swords were greatswords and the greatswords were sharpened support beams. So I certainly hope they don't go in that direction.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by DMKano

Two words come to mind:

Bulky and oversized

I hope I am wrong.

I hope you are wrong, too.

I hate the WoW style armor and the Final Fantasy style weapons.  They look so ridiculous.  I don't think stuff needs to be exact replica scale of real life equivalents, but they need to not be stupidly large like they always seem to be these days.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by Karble

1. I kind of enjoy the escape from reality. In many high fantasy comics and other things, women are sexy and powerful.

A lot of people don't perceive that as powerful, rather as objectified. Which is much more probable than powerful. Men get away with being sexy and powerful while wearing lots of gear, why can't women? Why do women have to be half naked to be sexy and powerful?

Generally, escape of reality doesn't include complete butchering of every bit of common sense. We're not asking for hyper-realism or something, just a bit of common sense. Plenty of games did this well - Skyrim, for instance.

Hey, escape from reality all you want but give other people options, please, so that they are not forced to throw an entire gender into the garbage bin because it's impossible to find anything besides bikini armor.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?