Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Van Helsing

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

If you like aRPGs like Diablo, and Torchlight you owe it to yourself to spend the $14 on Steam and pick up this little gem. (Released yesterday, has an 8.7 user score at metacritic)

Easily worth 3 times that. In many ways more enjoyable than either Diablo or Torchlight.

Great writing, excellent environments, deep character customization...heck I even loved the intro cinematic.

Having a blast with it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I just picked it up and am going to play it tonight.
  • AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Looks like a good game, gonna have to give it a try.
  • FrankVLucasFrankVLucas Member UncommonPosts: 45

Great game! I've just played for an hour or so, and I had loads of fun.

I would definitely recommend this game for the fans of aRPG genre.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Got far enough into it to realize there's even a "tower defense" mini game when you're in your mid 20s where you can research different types of traps and place them before you get 3 waves of bad guys. That was just awesome.

Never even heard about the game before yesterday. What a nice surprise.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

Many thanks for letting me know this was released , I saw a very favorable preview of it a while back in PCGamer but lost track of it.

Definitely looks fun , was disappointed in D3 , Path of Exile just didn't quite do it for me , but I remember thinking from the preview this looks like something I could enjoy a decent amount.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

OK finished it at level 29... :(  My guess is I played it around 16 hours total. So, one knock... short.

But then, the Ultimate Bad Guy escapes at the end... it's got "additional content coming" written all over it

The character leveling system is unique and meshes together quite well.

I played as a Melee + magic type (Bash + Earthquake) and the self-heal "power-up" on Bash synergizes really well with a passive that heals you x% per rage spent (you use rage via the space bar to Queue a power-up mod to the skill next time you use it.)

Early on when I first got Earthquake, I was primarily melee with a bit of Earthquake thrown in now an then. At the end, after I got enough mana and lowered the mana cost of Earthquake with both, a perk (perks are your rewards for reputation levels) and an Earthquake level 5 mod, I was using Earthquake to kill everything and used bash + healing power-up primarily just to heal...or to fight the occasional boss after the adds were gone. Worked well.

It does have replay value with different difficulties and the hardcore permadeath option, but the maps are not random. Once you know the map you know where to go...some of the maps (in the city) are even re-used for later quests. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it so much, it made me wonder just how much the "random" Diablo/Torchlight maps add to the replayability since it's just the trash that gets randomized but the map's main quest is the same but at a slightly different place in the level...shrug.

The environment and detail is second to no other aRPG. They are excellent. And so are the few "easter egg" like quests you'll run into. It does have standard quests also where you know where to go and what to do, but there are also several others you'll run into and have to figure out for yourself... or not. There's even the odd choice you have to make here and there with consequences.

Most definitely worth $13.49... I do wish it had been longer but at that price can't really complain about that.

Did I mention the writing is really, really good? There are even some very well done nods to fantasy and Scifi games like LOTR and Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I give it a solid 9/10.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    I will check this, thanks for the info!
  • enrayenray Member Posts: 4
    Oh really? hmm kinda interesting, I'll try to look over it ! thanks for the info :)
    I bought the game and so fasr this is a great game.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Iselin

If you like aRPGs like Diablo, and Torchlight you owe it to yourself to spend the $14 on Steam and pick up this little gem. (Released yesterday, has an 8.7 user score at metacritic)

Easily worth 3 times that. In many ways more enjoyable than either Diablo or Torchlight.

Great writing, excellent environments, deep character customization...heck I even loved the intro cinematic.

Having a blast with it.

I did yesterday and love it:)

Good price for this little nice gem of aRPG 13euro's!

Lvl 10 guns/rifle started on hardmode nice challenge played around 3hours now having alot fun with it.

Katarina wanne steal my loots:P

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I just bought the game also.  I am having a blast.  One thing I did notice is (When you zoom in) that Katarina is always pulling up her dress around her boobs like they are going to fall out.  Cracked me up

Sorry, it's the pervert in me....LOL

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

Sounds good, will at least add to my wishlist!

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

lvl28 70hours(also with looking inventory and town to switch gear weapons look whats best, sometimes afk) playing solo and co-op with friend.

Still have blast.

Just finish the game, 18 hours lvl 30. That was fun.

Picked it up on yesterday's Steam Summer Sale for $7.49. Played a couple hours starting with Heroic difficulty. So far seems fun. 

I think the $7.47 price is still available today as well.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    I picked this up during the Steam summer sale for about $5 (I sold some of those stupid Steam cards for about $2.50) and its $5 well spent.  I have about 15 hours played and its been very enjoyable so far.  They are also planning at least one other sequel where you can import your character from the first game.  Overall, I'd give it an 8/10 with the only real downsides being how large of a DL it is (18 GB) and the low replay value.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Agreed.Picked it up during the steam summer sale and am loving it.

However multiplayer needs more work and fixing IMO but as a single player game it's hella fun.

Originally posted by Ginaz
    I picked this up during the Steam summer sale for about $5 (I sold some of those stupid Steam cards for about $2.50) and its $5 well spent.  I have about 15 hours played and its been very enjoyable so far.  They are also planning at least one other sequel where you can import your character from the first game.  Overall, I'd give it an 8/10 with the only real downsides being how large of a DL it is (18 GB) and the low replay value.

I don't think the DL size is 18GB. It's 18GB needed on the hard drive for the game after you download the compressed files and install the game.

I think the actual DL size is around 6GB.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by Ginaz

I don't think the DL size is 18GB. It's 18GB needed on the hard drive for the game after you download the compressed files and install the game.

I think the actual DL size is around 6GB.

Never noticed that.  Still, 18GB is pretty damn big for a game like this on your HD..

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.