Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i5 3570k and ASRock P67 Pro3 for GW2 and FF XIV

QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
I am planning to buy cpu i5 3570k (The K version b/c I would like to overclock it someday) and I need a new motherboard for it so I'm thinking about ASRock P67 Pro3. Do you think it is worth buying this cpu for those games? And will it allow me to play both gW2 and FF XIV on high settings? GPU doesn;t matter b/c I will upgrade mine some time later this year and I want to start with cpu.

Comments

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

First things first. In general, good CPU will allow you to have good FPS in situations when there's a lot of people/objects on screen. Although CPU is important graphics wise, it's the GPU that will allow you to tune your graphic settings up as much as possible.

Having good CPU and medicore GPU, you will have good gameplay experience in, for example massive fights in GW2 WvW or big battles in Starcraft 2, but it will not let you tune your graphic settings too high, because GPU will bottleneck your PC.

Second, If you're buying CPU for overclocking , you want good overclocking MBO, which P67 MBO is actually not that much. Aim for Z77 chipset MBO. Otherwise, you could buy a cheaper CPU (like non K i5 CPU) and settle for P67 MBO.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Exactly what hardware do you have right now that you're looking to upgrade from?

AsRock Pro anything won't be much of an overclocker.  Having enough power circuitry to handle the system at stock speeds but not much more than that is one of the ways they make their Pro series motherboards cheaper.  AsRock's Extreme series motherboards are meant to handle more of an overclock, though AsRock isn't really the best company for overclocking.

• mxishmxish Member Posts: 31

the cpu is good

the motherboard doesnt matter. My $200+ MB couldnt handle an overclock that my $75 msi can do fine (5ghz i7 3770k)

Ive used asrock, didnt have much on it but it never died on me in 2 years.

• PocketprotectorgamesPocketprotectorgames Member Posts: 22
    Save those pennies for a future Haswell build?
  • MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    I have the 3570k paired with an AsRock Z77 Extreme6 ; great combo in my opinion, runs both the games great.
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    I have a 3570K and an ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  with GeForce GTX560 TI and it runs both Games on Max very very fine. So if your GFX Card is okay and RAM enough, you should have no Probs at all with your combination.
  • SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    I have i5 3570K Gygabite Z77 mobo gygabite GTX 670 and I run both GW2 and FFXIV ARR Beta at highest setting without any issues.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Currently I have older AMD cpu and I learned sadly that mmos do not like amd so I decided to finally move on and spend a little more money on intel. B/c of that I have no otheer choice than to get a new MB. From what i am seeing here everyone are suggesting some Z77 mobo so I will try to find one not overly expensive.
  • MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by QSatu
    Currently I have older AMD cpu and I learned sadly that mmos do not like amd so I decided to finally move on and spend a little more money on intel. B/c of that I have no otheer choice than to get a new MB. From what i am seeing here everyone are suggesting some Z77 mobo so I will try to find one not overly expensive.

Not sure how much you want to spend but Newegg.com is running AsRock Mobo's (Z77) extra 15% off.  Hope this helps

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403

Should be fine, all settings maxed out,

CPU OC to 4.2, these are both using a msi gd65 MB though with a gtx 760:

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Asrock is very much a budget brand. It used to belong to Asus, and they used it to make their low budget model boards (stuff for OEM PCs, brand name boards, etc). They spun off as a separate company about 10 years ago, and in the past 3-4 years decided to break back into the enthusiast arena.

They are less expensive than other boards, and they work fine, but there is a reason for being less expensive.

As far as FFXIV/GW2 - a Core i5 will work very well, either the Ivy your looking at or the new Haswell. FFXIV in particular is pretty easy on hardware now. GW2 can grind down in some settings (Wv3 mainly), but that's not a problem with hardware, that's a problem with optimization, as it grinds down a bit on all computers.

I've run both games on my Core i7 920 - at the stock speed of 2.66Ghz, and they both run extremely well. This is a nearly 5 year old processor and 4 generations old. Paired with my 6970 I can have nearly max graphics settings (all but the stupid settings) and have it be a comfortable FPS (a stable 30FPS is good enough for me, more often than not these games run at 60+).

But as mentioned before - don't ignore the graphics card. If you try to run off the Intel graphics, or pair a Core i5 with a Geforce 610, it's going to look like crap no matter what CPU you are using.

For gaming, I consider the bare minimum to be around the Geforce 650/AMD 7750 level (around $120 US), and anything under that your paying a lot of money for crappy gaming.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by bestever
    I think Asrock has done a great job getting back in the enthusiast arena. It never crossed my mind to check them out till I built a 1155 build. I picked up the Z77 extreme 6 for 150$ and its a great board. Over clocked my I7 3770k to 4.5 ghz with a couple of clicks and had no problems. Great board and picked it up because toms hardware backed it. I always was a ASUS guy but glad I tried Asrock and it surprised  that I could get such a great mobo for 150$.Asrock has come a long way and have done a great job. They have a board that set the record for highest overclock at 7.1ghz. Pretty good for a budget mobo.http://www.asrock.com/news/?cat=News&id=748 

I totally agree, they have come a long way. And they perform pretty well, especially for their price.

But there are reviews like this:
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/02/06/asrock_z77_extreme4_lga_1155_motherboard_review/6#.UfLEq43rxoc

One of the first things that caught my eye about the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 was the wavy PCB and just how thin it was. When I put it on my top deck station for testing and put RAM modules into it I heard a crack and had one of those "uh oh" moments. Fortunately the system fired right up and went through testing without any problems what so ever. In all the years I’ve worked with computer hardware I’ve never in my life seen a more fragile and flexible motherboard PCB.

That being said, in that same review, the motherboard performed very well, and overclocked well.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by QSatu

That doesn't answer the question.  What hardware do you have now?

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Just for the info GW2 is actually more cpu intensive then gpu intensive