Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "Ask the Devs a question" thread! (Not suggestions)

Comments

• SavijSavij Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by OniFeeZ
    Originally posted by Savij

Can you play as a Space Marine (Dark Angel) and fall to chaos? or is that too rpgy'ish and not enough pvp? :)

Is everyone on this forum going to become beta testers providing they're still active at the time? :D

cause there would only be 1 way how players could change factions (spacemarine to chaos) it is very very unlikely that there will be a feature like this

Be that as it may, I have to ask, are you a game developer involved with the project or not?

no I’m just a member of this forum and a fanboy to this upcoming game who consume all information he can get and try to share that to others who have questions about this game

it is just some logical thinking that this feature wont work for a game like this

be always up to date about Eternal Crusade
    WH40k:EC dev Tracker

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337
    EternalCrusader.com Savij

• Valrak40kValrak40k Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Originally posted by Valrak40k

Thanks for answering the questions Brent, not to squeeze blood from a stone but can you go into more detail on how many squads will make up a Strike force?

he said:

We're looking into the possibility of player groups being able to earn the right to create their own Chapters/Craftworlds/Clans, etc., but we want to make sure we do justice to the core 40k Chapters first.

chapters are big so you can imagine how many squads will be able to form a strikeforce :P

Strike forces are not Chapters, a strike force is made up of a number of Marines - it's very rare you will see an Entire Chapter deployed to fight a foe. Thats why I wanted to know how big are they planning their Strikeforces :)

Thanks for answering the questions Brent, not to squeeze blood from a stone but can you go into more detail on how many squads will make up a Strike force?

he said:

We're looking into the possibility of player groups being able to earn the right to create their own Chapters/Craftworlds/Clans, etc., but we want to make sure we do justice to the core 40k Chapters first.

chapters are big so you can imagine how many squads will be able to form a strikeforce :P

Strike forces are not Chapters, a strike force is made up of a number of Marines - it's very rare you will see an Entire Chapter deployed to fight a foe. Thats why I wanted to know how big are they planning their Strikeforces :)

ah sorry i got him wrong them^^

but what i just noticed:
    if they really want some strike forces to create their own chapters wouldn’t that mean that they need to make their own boni for that chapter too?
    cause what we know is that the chapters will be different (not just the look) in abilities and maybe stats

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337

Originally posted by Gorwe
    It's exactly because of things like Valrak spoke of that I insist on death not being death. You'd be rather injured and brought back for the Mending etc. After that, back to the battlefield! It even preserves the spirit of 40k.

Because if you die and you keep respawning the same problem as in DoWs happens. A chapter has what? a thousand Space Marines? And during one average 2v2 game in DoW 1 you lost at least 200 SMs. In 8-player ffa that number could well Rise up over 1k. So...O.O? Entire chapter obliterated lol?

Now imagine the body count in EC...you understand now ;).

well in space marine the multilplayermode they die in hords too

and if thats ok for GW why shouldnt it be ok in EC?^^

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

A more practical matter:

Hacking and botting. Shooters are notorious for cheaters and can really hurt the early stages of a game when player retention is critical to building a playerbase. Are you already looking into solutions or reviewing what others have done to combat this?

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by patrickbalthazar
    well I was in the Dev team and I played AoC myself for 2 yrs. I enjoyed the PvP there a lot, especially the combat and the finishers. It's not for everyone and I agree - It could have been more bloody :)

Hello.

I was the same name then as I am now. I worked with you guys....alot...was in the first round of closed beta and was part of the  player GM group after launch for a short bit.

It was really disheartening to see you guys scale back on stuff from the early beta..

I still have the screen shot of the half eaten woman on a pike in the starter area sewers for the cannibal chief.

Is Jorgen a part of this team?

• patrickbalthazarpatrickbalthazar Member UncommonPosts: 133

Can you play as a Space Marine (Dark Angel) and fall to chaos? or is that too rpgy'ish and not enough pvp? :)

Is everyone on this forum going to become beta testers providing they're still active at the time? :D

cause there would only be 1 way how players could change factions (spacemarine to chaos) it is very very unlikely that there will be a feature like this

Be that as it may, I have to ask, are you a game developer involved with the project or not?

Haha, he is not, but he is maybe the most active user on this forum and knows a lot :)

and in this case, even though we have not said it officially yet, Savij is right. We are discussing and theorizing how a faction change could work for a player, if or if not he should be allowed to have multiple character in different factions etc. 

There is pros and cons and decisions have not been made. We will make sure to announce it once we are sure to follow a specific path in this question.

Patrick Balthazar
    Tech Lead - Behaviour Online
    Lead Programmer - Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
    www.EternalCrusade.com - #eternalcrusade - @lordpada

Originally posted by Ziegler
    well I was in the Dev team and I played AoC myself for 2 yrs. I enjoyed the PvP there a lot, especially the combat and the finishers. It's not for everyone and I agree - It could have been more bloody :)

Hello.

I was the same name then as I am now. I worked with you guys....alot...was in the first round of closed beta and was part of the  player GM group after launch for a short bit.

It was really disheartening to see you guys scale back on stuff from the early beta..

I still have the screen shot of the half eaten woman on a pike in the starter area sewers for the cannibal chief.

hey, welcome back i guess :) and no Jorgen is not part of the Team, but I am guessing here you mean Jørgen Tharaldsen? He left Funcom a while ago and has his own studio now.

Patrick Balthazar

Originally posted by Rusque

A more practical matter:

Hacking and botting. Shooters are notorious for cheaters and can really hurt the early stages of a game when player retention is critical to building a playerbase. Are you already looking into solutions or reviewing what others have done to combat this?

well the main difference is going to be that we have full control of all the gameplay happening on the servers. no action from any player is unverified and therefore it will be much easier to prevent most hacks and cheats. we are aware of what can be done and i am not saying that it will be impossible to cheat; players usually have way to much time to figure out ways on how to make stuff happen in their favor - but we have addressed the situation from very early on in the development!

Patrick Balthazar

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Ziegler

Hello.

hey, welcome back i guess :) and no Jorgen is not part of the Team, but I am guessing here you mean Jørgen Tharaldsen? He left Funcom a while ago and has his own studio now.

Yeah (and I didnt feel like looking up the ascii code for the o), I knew he left like two months after AoC launch but I didnt know his studio or anything and thought this might have been it for a moment there.

I dont hang out on these forums much, but if you guys actually have your own dedicated site forums, I'll be there. Look forward to seeing what you guys put out ...AoC should be the minimum for blood/gore content.

ANd put me in the group liking the coup de grace from AoC as well with immunity.

• GitzStompaGitzStompa Member Posts: 54

Will there be any open space fighting? Like, invading other faction's ships or something like that?

Furthermore, will there be any "starting" planets or zones where you begin when you first log-in or do you start at your faction's spaceship?

Originally posted by GitzStompa

Will there be any open space fighting? Like, invading other faction's ships or something like that?

i will copy from reddit post:

Q: You said that each player will have his spaceship. Will there be space battles, boarded the others spaceships that groups could arrange pvp?

A: Patrick: again, will answer the technical questions here :)

1) spaceship yes, space combat not at launch!

Furthermore, will there be any "starting" planets or zones where you begin when you first log-in or do you start at your faction's spaceship?

and i think it was in an interview they said:

you will start on your own spaceship (that would be combined with the ships of you squadmates)

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337

i will copy from reddit post:

Q: You said that each player will have his spaceship. Will there be space battles, boarded the others spaceships that groups could arrange pvp?

A: Patrick: again, will answer the technical questions here :)

1) spaceship yes, space combat not at launch!

and i think it was in an interview they said:

you will start on your own spaceship (that would be combined with the ships of you squadmates)

Alright mate. Thanks for clearing that up:)

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

I guess my main question is:

From a Lore perspective, grouping different chapter members together on a large scale war type conflict simply does not make sense. Granted there are plenty of stories where Space Marines of different chapters have fought together...there are little to no instances of parties consisting of e.g. 3 Blood Angels, 4 Dark Angels, 2 Space Wolves and 2 Ultra Marines!

Ideally each of these armies would fight in Squads of their own chapter parties. 

So how do you intend to make the proposed mechanic of partying with any Space Marine of the available chapters work from a Lore perspective? 

This isn't even considering the fact that Space Marine chapters are renown for the reluctant acceptance of other Space Marine Chapters. In particular Dark Angels.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176

There are many instances where several chapters worked together. Black Templars and Celestial Lions, Black Templars and Salamanders and Space Wolves during the Armegeddon wars, Failbaddons 13th Black Crusade had over a dozen chapters coming together - all lead by my man GRIMMMMNAAAARRRRRRR. 

It happens quite a bit. Also, I'm sure plenty of players will ally with people from their own chapter as opposed to a mixture.

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628
    ^What I meant was actual squad members being from different chapters. On a chapter scale sure, but at a squad scale?

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • mintycmintyc Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Razephon
    ^What I meant was actual squad members being from different chapters. On a chapter scale sure, but at a squad scale?

i think this is one of those instances where bending the lore results in a better "game" than if they strictly enforced codex squads.

Originally posted by mintyc
    Originally posted by Razephon

i think this is one of those instances where bending the lore results in a better "game" than if they strictly enforced codex squads.

ya i see it like that

we cant stay true to the full lore but to the most important of it

but i think the most squads (or at least most guilds) will stay true to the lore that they only alow their own chapter in it but we will see when it comes out^^

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337

• freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Thats the funny thing about war. sometimes ya gott amake.it up as you go.

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

I've got a couple of more "orky" questions and a few others.

1.  First off, if you're introducing land vehicles, are you going to add multiple seats? Like three or even four players controlling one vehicle, or are they going to be controlled by one person only?

2.  Will flying vehicles (such as DakkaJets and Eagle Bombers) be represented? Furthermore, how are you going to balance flying vehicles being different from one another? It would be a huge disappointment if I'd control an Eldar flying vehicle and it would feel exactly the same with controls and firepower as an ork flying vehicle. 

3. Multiboxing. This is a problem that allows players to gain an upper hand in some MMO's. Some MMO's allow it, some don't. Are you going to allow it or ban it's usage?

4. Will the game have multiple graphic settings? Like in WoW, you have a big variety of graphical customization options.

5. An orky question: Will you introduce 4 major Clans, or will you introduce some smaller warbands like Goldtoofs and Speed Freak Kult?

6. Another orky question: Will the orkz be under a Warlord who has formed a WAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! or will they just be seperate clans that often fight against the opposing factions but aren't really "kind" towards each other either.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Q: Devs you need to elaborate on the wider context of battles and how longer-term goals player factions can work towards as well as win individual battles. If my faction wins the planet what GOOD does that do?

You've got to weave in a CAMPAIGN RULE SET to link the player-created narrative ie who wins and by how much per world per battle/planet.

1.  First off, if you're introducing land vehicles, are you going to add multiple seats? Like three or even four players controlling one vehicle, or are they going to be controlled by one person only?

2.  Will flying vehicles (such as DakkaJets and Eagle Bombers) be represented? Furthermore, how are you going to balance flying vehicles being different from one another? It would be a huge disappointment if I'd control an Eldar flying vehicle and it would feel exactly the same with controls and firepower as an ork flying vehicle. 

3. Multiboxing. This is a problem that allows players to gain an upper hand in some MMO's. Some MMO's allow it, some don't. Are you going to allow it or ban it's usage?

how would you make use of it? this is a shooter it would be kinda hard to control both with just 2 hands^^ or do you mean the 2nd charakter just stays around and earn XP?

4. Will the game have multiple graphic settings? Like in WoW, you have a big variety of graphical customization options.

5. An orky question: Will you introduce 4 major Clans, or will you introduce some smaller warbands like Goldtoofs and Speed Freak Kult?

in the newsletter they said that they want to at a 5t chapter for all factions but we will need to wait till they anounce the warbands for orks to know which ones are represented there

6. Another orky question: Will the orkz be under a Warlord who has formed a WAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! or will they just be seperate clans that often fight against the opposing factions but aren't really "kind" towards each other either.

you mean in lore or do you speak about the comandochain?

if it is the 2nd then they will have it like all factions 10 member in war council and so on

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Q: Devs you need to elaborate on the wider context of battles and how longer-term goals player factions can work towards as well as win individual battles. If my faction wins the planet what GOOD does that do?

You've got to weave in a CAMPAIGN RULE SET to link the player-created narrative ie who wins and by how much per world per battle/planet.

the winning faction will get a medal which will say "won the 1st campain" or something like that (miguel said that in a very first interview)

they wont get a buff for the next planet cause that would just help them to win again

Other EC Sites i'm in:
    Dakkadakka Savij
    Reddit EC Savij1337

how would you make use of it? this is a shooter it would be kinda hard to control both with just 2 hands^^ or do you mean the 2nd charakter just stays around and earn XP?

in the newsletter they said that they want to at a 5t chapter for all factions but we will need to wait till they anounce the warbands for orks to know which ones are represented there

you mean in lore or do you speak about the comandochain?

if it is the 2nd then they will have it like all factions 10 member in war council and so on

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

the winning faction will get a medal which will say "won the 1st campain" or something like that (miguel said that in a very first interview)

they wont get a buff for the next planet cause that would just help them to win again

I ment exactly that Savij. I don't know how the progression is applied when you play the game. Via multiboxing, you could create plenty of characters to follow one specific character that you would control by yourself or something (People always find a way to control all the bots that are following the char you -actually- play, I'd imagine). Either way, Multiboxing still gives you an advantage, no matter the circumstances, so it should be bannable in my opinion.

The second thing is that Ork WAAAAAGHS! always have a Warboss or Warlord to lead them. If there's only a War Council, I don't see how it would fit the lore since no WAAAAGHS! have been controlled by a council before. (Maybe the Council is like the second hand when leading the orchish Waaagh or smthin)?

And regarding Clans/Warbands. . I'm fine with every clan and warband but there's one exception. PLEASE don't introduce Blood Axes. They're unorky and use weak 'umie git tactics like camouflage and retreat shizz. Not orky enough to be in this game in my opinion, lel. 

1. yes vehicles will have multiple seats. ofc only 1 driver.

2. at this point all i can say is that there will be flying vehicles, though from what i know it has not been decided if they will be actually controllable.

3. first of all with a shooter style gameplay it will be very hard to multibox. if we figure big advantages and hack/cheat/botting is happening, we will act upon it ofc. but sometimes banning is not the right thing to do, rather prevent the abuse ;)

4. we will have the graphics being tweak-able for some parts.

5. this has not been revealed yet.

6. I guess I let Brent or David answer that :) but like in most cases - common sense, good game mechanics vs. true to lore ;)

Patrick Balthazar

1. yes vehicles will have multiple seats. ofc only 1 driver.

2. at this point all i can say is that there will be flying vehicles, though from what i know it has not been decided if they will be actually controllable.

3. first of all with a shooter style gameplay it will be very hard to multibox. if we figure big advantages and hack/cheat/botting is happening, we will act upon it ofc. but sometimes banning is not the right thing to do, rather prevent the abuse ;)

4. we will have the graphics being tweak-able for some parts.

5. this has not been revealed yet.

6. I guess I let Brent or David answer that :) but like in most cases - common sense, good game mechanics vs. true to lore ;)

Hey Patrick! Thanks for answering these questions. GL with the game, looking forward to it :)