Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curious about the game...

NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

I haven't really been paying attention to the game until basically a week ago, haven't really heard of it and I never played the old FF MMO games. I looked at the preorder, and the game is only $30 for Windows? That got me interested, since I am used to $60 clients. Have to ask if that includes a sub? Also, why a $10 difference between the Windows and PS3 version? I do have a PS3 but I can as well get it cheaper, lol

But anyway, I am thinking I may want to grab it when it releases or perhaps a bit later, but considering that I probably won't get into the next beta and I probably don't want to, I don't really know much about the game so I would want to ask a few things, which may determine how eager I would be to get the game:

From what I understand, this is a fairly classic-style themepark game with Trinity, dungeon finder, raids, etc. How similar it is to Rift? I quite liked Rift before it went free-to-play and I wouldn't mind getting into another game like that early on. Are the dungeons/raids well designed? Is there any depth to the level progression system? How fast is the leveling and is there more to the world than mobs and quests? Does the game have any extra stuff/secrets/collectibles/rare mobs/invasions/etc.? How solo or group heavy is the game?

I've got the impression that classes have strict roles, i.e., any given class is only a healer or only a tank, and so on, I am not sure if this is correct. Also, there seem to be specialized roles for crafting-only characters? Can you craft on a combat character? How does this work? Can I freely make alts in this game?

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
Currently playing: GW2, EVE
Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

Comments

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Well one character can be all the classes (not at the same time though(well it's hard to explain :P)).  Crafting and gathering aren't skills they are separate classes that must be leveled separately.  There is a pretty good balance between solo and group content.  Early on it's mostly soloable but as you get later the game the more you have to group up.

I'm sure there will be rare and collectible items wouldn't be much of an RPG.  But it's kind of hard to tell since no one as accessed the late game yet (beta's were limited to lvl 30).  You can make alts (based on what type of sub you have) but imo they aren't needed since you can do everything and anything on one character.

And, yes the game does include a 30 day sub.

If you're really interested I recommend reading up because while it's a lot like traditional themeparks they do add a lot to it too.

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

Im no expert on the game, but from the reading I've done, it seems that you can level any class on the same character. Then as you get a class to lvl 30 you unlock the option of supplying that class with a secondary one, which as it reaches lvl 15, unlocks a combination resulting in a job. For a job to unlock, the two classes have to be a set of specific ones. Fx. if you start as an pugilist, you would need to level a Lancer -  in order to unlock the job Monk.

However if you played a pugilist, and decided to try out some of the other classes on that same character, a number of those other classes abilities, would also be available to you while you had the pugilist equipped. So if you levelled a healer you could revert to your original pugilist class and still equip a healing skill that you unlocked previously while levelling the healer. So rather than being forced to go solely after class combination that unlocked specific jobs and their inherent abilites, you might fashion a semi original combination of abilities as you levelled up. So you wouldnt need to make an alt in order to try out other classes.

The only requisite, as far as I know, is for you to have reached lvl 15 in order to be able to aproach the other class trainers and try new classes out, on the same character (actually it might even be lvl 10)

I dont know how many jobs you could eventually unlock, but from what I understand the game is trying to be very unresitrictive in regards to what you can experience on just 1 character.

You can also level in the trades sphere or the harvesting sphere, on your combat toon. You can find the same combinations among the crafting classes to unlock crafting jobs. - It would take time and resources ofcourse. It might be hard to level them efficiently without supplying yourself through harvesting classes. 

There is a lot of learn for sure. I played in the third beta, and still have absolutely only a very superficial idea about how it all works. It seems massive, but fun. - I found the crafting was mostly restricted by the amount of crystals I had accumulated from my combat class. But I think those crystals could have been harvested through mining, or even crafted had I tried alchemy. 

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by NetSage

Well one character can be all the classes (not at the same time though(well it's hard to explain :P)).  Crafting and gathering aren't skills they are separate classes that must be leveled separately.

I think I see what you're saying, especially with Nilenya's description. That sounds really nice, actually. And it indeed sounds like I won't need alts with that system.

And I love complicated games.

There is a pretty good balance between solo and group content.  Early on it's mostly soloable but as you get later the game the more you have to group up.

Sounds good.

If you're really interested I recommend reading up because while it's a lot like traditional themeparks they do add a lot to it too.

I don't really want to read TOO much about it because I want it to be a new experience. :P Especially avoiding videos and stuff. The great art of trying to find out if you want something without knowing much about it...

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

After you complete your level 10 class quest, the npc will tell you that you can go to the other guilds and apply there for the other classes. The classes have there own unique storyline to them, and their spread out among the 3 starting nations. Jobs you unlock at level 30 via a specific quest, once you have a certain combination of a level 15/30 class's leveld.

The game is gona be 13.95 a month for regular, and 14.95 a month for premium. They are also selling the game cheaper to make up for there passed mistakes with v1.0.

The only difference I know between the regular and premium sub is the number of characters you can be, I think something from like 4-8 characters? But thers gona be tons of inventory space available from the get go, plus the ability to be every class/job on one character, so really no need to go premium.

Yes, this is a trinity game, even the dungeon finder is set up like this (it sets up parties automatically from all NA/UE servers)

Tank

Healer

DD  (range, magic)

DD (Melee, front line)

Early game light party 4, end game 8 full party, and around 24 people for full alliance I heard. Dungeons start at level 15 through the main story line, you unlock 3 of those in a row. Dunno about later that those, since were caped at lvl 30, but phase 4 which is open beta I believe is gona be caped at 50, and characters should carry over to launch.

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480

Just a nit-pick.

My only experience is with a healer, and as a healer I only had 2 damage spells up until level 18, and one of them was almost useless in solo content. That makes leveling the healer solo(the whole beginning part of the game) a really boring experience.

I can't speak for how any of the other classes play, but leveling the healer early in the game is really boring.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• dream217dream217 Member Posts: 8
    True, but once you hit lvl 10, I highly recommend walking to Uldah and unlocking Thaumaturge (takes about 10 mins from gridania to uldah). Then lvl Thm to 6 for Thunder, which is another damage spell. At lvl 15 on Conjurer you also get a 4th dmg spell, which also acts as a root and knockback.
  • twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by NagelRitter

I haven't really been paying attention to the game until basically a week ago, haven't really heard of it and I never played the old FF MMO games. I looked at the preorder, and the game is only $30 for Windows? That got me interested, since I am used to $60 clients. Have to ask if that includes a sub? Also, why a $10 difference between the Windows and PS3 version? I do have a PS3 but I can as well get it cheaper, lol

Yep, $30 for the client (if you keep an eye out there have been offers making it even less) - that includes a free month of play and early access (if you preorder). You'll be pleased to know that when the sub does kick in, it is only $13/month. I forget what the reason was for the PS3 version being more expensive.

But anyway, I am thinking I may want to grab it when it releases or perhaps a bit later, but considering that I probably won't get into the next beta and I probably don't want to, I don't really know much about the game so I would want to ask a few things, which may determine how eager I would be to get the game:

Actually, you would get into the next beta (it is open beta) so long as you register for it by the 30th, and you probably do want to get in because it'll essentially be a soft-launch for the game (characters from this phase of beta will *carry over* to launch). There are a couple features that won't be in until launch, but otherwise it's just more free playtime basically.

From what I understand, this is a fairly classic-style themepark game with Trinity, dungeon finder, raids, etc.

Correct.

How similar it is to Rift? I quite liked Rift before it went free-to-play and I wouldn't mind getting into another game like that early on.

It is similar to RIFT in its basic mechanics, but there is not nearly as much internal class customization (however, you can play every class on a single character in FFXIV). I should qualify this: in XIV there is a two-tiered system of 'classes' which grow into specializations called 'jobs'. Right now, each class grows into one possible job, but in the future there will be more than one job per class (taking on a job is not permanent, you can switch back to its raw class form, or to other jobs/classes on the fly). Based on your level, you get a certain number of abilities slots (up to 10 at max level). When you are in a class, you can fill those slots by selecting from those of any other class you have reached the appropriate level (to unlock that skill) on, with some exceptions. When you're in a job, you automatically have access to all the abilities (both passive and active) from the class that job grew out of, but as far as your additional skill slots, you are limited to drawing from 1-2 other predesignated classes (which will more or less be about 10 abilities). So essentially you can customize to an extent while you level a particular class or while soloing, but in raids you are going to have more or less the same abilities as the next person of your job.

There are plenty more differences; those are just the big ones you are likely to notice first perhaps.

Are the dungeons/raids well designed? Is there any depth to the level progression system? How fast is the leveling and is there more to the world than mobs and quests? Does the game have any extra stuff/secrets/collectibles/rare mobs/invasions/etc.? How solo or group heavy is the game?

I can't speak to the raids but the dungeons are fairly well designed - a little longer and will a few more twists that require team coordination than your average MMO dungeons perhaps. Also, you'll notice that they start out quite simple/easy and get gradually but progressively more complex and challenging in what they demand from your group.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to answer the rest of your questions...

I wouldn't really be able to give you a specific gauge on the leveling - while kind of taking my time, it took me a few days to get to 23 - that's as far as I went - I am guessing you could max out a single class/job in maybe a week or so of heavy play, if you knew what you were doing. Most players will max a job within 2 weeks to a month if they chose to focus on one at a time (but it's easy to want to play around with other classes...also keep in mind that to be optimally effective in a max level job, you will have to have leveled its auxilliary classes to at least 26 in most cases to unlock all the supplementary abilities).

The game is actually fairly balanced between solo and group play - you can solo to level cap on your first couple jobs if you want, but to unlock all the games features, you will be forced to group at several points. The best way to sum it up would probably be that the game encourages you to group while always providing you with viable solo options.

I'm not sure what sort of answer you are looking for with your other questions...there are FATEs, which are dynamic events similar to GW2's that occur in the open world (some of which feature rare mobs or act like invasions but not with lasting consequences I don't think), and there is plenty of exploration to be had, as well as an achievements system - I haven't gotten a chance to explore the world thoroughly so I couldn't tell you much more than that.

I've got the impression that classes have strict roles, i.e., any given class is only a healer or only a tank, and so on, I am not sure if this is correct.

For the most part this is true (at least for jobs - which are what you'll be raiding in). The 'duty finder' (i.e. dungeon finder) utility automatically selects the role you will play in the group based on the class you are in, for example. However, especially before specializing in a job, classes can serve multiple roles in a party (if you form your own on-server group or otherwise work it out with your dungeon party). For example, the Thaumaturge is normally a DPS caster class, but if I give him a healing ability from another class, he can actually be an adequate healer in low to mid level dungeon groups. Likewise a marauder, who is normally a tank, can easily be built for DPS, etc. However, in endgame situations, you'll likely be expected to fall into the expected role of the class (keep in mind that you are not locked into any job though - you can level any job, and thus play any role - on a single character).

Also, there seem to be specialized roles for crafting-only characters? Can you craft on a combat character? How does this work? Can I freely make alts in this game?

I've already mentioned this buy it bears repeating: every class in the game is playable on one character - all one has to do is unlock the class (which you can do for all the classes you didn't start with through a simple process starting at level 10). This includes crafting and gathering classes in addition to combat. All one has to do to switch between classes, is to switch their weapon-type (generally, one weapon-type corresponds to each class). You can make alts, but there is no really need to unless you need mules to hold your crafting mats. I've heard that it costs extra per month, up to a typical sub price of $15/month, if you make several alts (haven't confirmed this personally).

Crafting and gathering classes are treated as full classes in this game - they progress up the same levels in their own way. Crafting and gathering get their own sets of active abilities that take the place of combat abilities, and they have their own stats and resources (crafting points instead of mana, for example) you use your crafting or gathering abilities based on the situation (for example, a basic gathering ability uses up some of my CP pool, but increases my chances of gathering items by a certain percentage briefly).

I highly recommend checking out this guy's youtube channel for much more in-depth information on just about every aspect of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xehanort1227?feature=watch

Originally posted by twrule

Actually, you would get into the next beta (it is open beta) so long as you register for it by the 30th, and you probably do want to get in because it'll essentially be a soft-launch for the game (characters from this phase of beta will *carry over* to launch). There are a couple features that won't be in until launch, but otherwise it's just more free playtime basically.

Oh wow, I didn't realize that. I didn't want to play a beta and then start over, but this actually sounds great. Thanks for telling me. I have already applied for beta a few days ago...

Crafting and gathering classes are treated as full classes in this game - they progress up the same levels in their own way. Crafting and gathering get their own sets of active abilities that take the place of combat abilities, and they have their own stats and resources (crafting points instead of mana, for example) you use your crafting or gathering abilities based on the situation (for example, a basic gathering ability uses up some of my CP pool, but increases my chances of gathering items by a certain percentage briefly).

Sounds like crafting is actually engaging in this game. o.O

I highly recommend checking out this guy's youtube channel for much more in-depth information on just about every aspect of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xehanort1227?feature=watch
    To click or not to click, here is the question...

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

That was a pretty exhaustive answer!

I too have a question; I hope the OP doesn't mind if I toss it in this thread.  I'm currently looking for a new game after WoW decided to focus on its cash shop, and after I watched the video from the last beta this looks like where I will probably end up...depending on one very important thing.  So...here goes.

How much forced pvp is there?  From what I can gather, there's arenas (which are fine), but I saw one little mention of a world pvp zone(?).  Is this a place that is going to be pretty much unavoidable, like it has maybe the best crafting items, or drops needed gear, or anything?  Or is it more like Wintergrasp where you can completely avoid it and lose nothing at all by doing so?  I loathe forced pvp.  So please, anyone?  I would be very appreciative if someone knew one way or the other.

Originally posted by Lissyl

I too have a question; I hope the OP doesn't mind if I toss it in this thread.

Feel free, especially since my questions have been mostly answered, and I am curious about your question, as well. :P

Btw, forgot to ask: is there any personal looks customization in the game? If I want to be a Dragoon but I hate their armor style, can I look different?

How much forced pvp is there?  From what I can gather, there's arenas (which are fine), but I saw one little mention of a world pvp zone(?).  Is this a place that is going to be pretty much unavoidable, like it has maybe the best crafting items, or drops needed gear, or anything?  Or is it more like Wintergrasp where you can completely avoid it and lose nothing at all by doing so?  I loathe forced pvp.  So please, anyone?  I would be very appreciative if someone knew one way or the other.

Well, I found this: http://ffxivrealm.com/threads/interesting-information-regarding-pvp-in-arr.1980/#post-27508

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

Well, I found this: http://ffxivrealm.com/threads/interesting-information-regarding-pvp-in-arr.1980/#post-27508

Oh that's perfect!  Your google-fu is far superior to mine.  Thanks a bunch. :)

Well that was the last thing I was concerned about.  No cash shop, no forced pvp, sub, good price, known IP, fun crafting?  Yes please!

• WKMitchellWKMitchell Member UncommonPosts: 86

Nagelritter there isn't much visual customization yet other then turning off helm and one other thing, but more is in the works and is due in the first or second main patch. 

This is also a good read a lot of people are complaining about it being boring 1-10 on there first class which is true (if you are a MMO vet.  It is also alleviated on any classes you play after the first as they have everything unlocked that you have unlocked already.) as there is a gradual progression of things added as you work through the main story as part of a tutorial (For JP players and console players who are new to MMORPG's).

http://eorzeareborn.com/final-fantasy-xiv-game-systems/

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    My guess is the PS3 price is more expensive due to it not being digital only and Sony licensing fees. I think the collectors editions are both $80 as there is no digital version. But I don't believe there is a non digital standard PC edition.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Raunu

Just a nit-pick.

My only experience is with a healer, and as a healer I only had 2 damage spells up until level 18, and one of them was almost useless in solo content. That makes leveling the healer solo(the whole beginning part of the game) a really boring experience.

I can't speak for how any of the other classes play, but leveling the healer early in the game is really boring.

Definitely. If you want to be a healer, get a Thaumaturge to 15 and then change over. It will give you the damage skills you need to not fall asleep in combat.

Originally posted by evilastro

Just a nit-pick.

Definitely. If you want to be a healer, get a Thaumaturge to 15 and then change over. It will give you the damage skills you need to not fall asleep in combat.

Huh? You mean...Thunder? Another (currently in beta) weak DoT, and with a cast time? That's the only damage spell Conjurer can get from THM at low levels to my knowledge...and after that only Thunder 2.

Methinks you're going to fall asleep faster trying to DoT up each mob rather than just nuking them...

My recommendation if you play a healer is...play with friends, even when questing - also, do a lot of FATEs so you'll have chances to heal before you get into dungeons. Hell, even healing up players you happen across and having a little social or emote exchange can keep one from getting bored too quickly.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Just a nit-pick.

Huh? You mean...Thunder? Another (currently in beta) weak DoT, and with a cast time? That's the only damage spell Conjurer can get from THM at low levels to my knowledge...and after that only Thunder 2.

Methinks you're going to fall asleep faster trying to DoT up each mob rather than just nuking them...

My recommendation if you play a healer is...play with friends, even when questing - also, do a lot of FATEs so you'll have chances to heal before you get into dungeons. Hell, even healing up players you happen across and having a little social or emote exchange can keep one from getting bored too quickly.

I think the point he was trying to make was that you CAN get SOME sort of auxillary damage on top of the conj nukes.  Granted...it's not much lol.

If you play a healer you could look into playing other classes a few levels for the cross class damage abilities. I know there is a chart somewhere showing which ones can be used once unlocked. I think it could help boost your damage while levelling.

Here is an overview, that shows conjurer abilities, but also which of the other classes abilities you could use if you unlock them.

http://www.ffxivinfo.com/class/conjurer.php 

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Btw, forgot to ask: is there any personal looks customization in the game? If I want to be a Dragoon but I hate their armor style, can I look different?

Word is this will come sometime after launch.  The visual gear will still be tied to the class though.

Originally posted by Kajidourden

Just a nit-pick.

I think the point he was trying to make was that you CAN get SOME sort of auxillary damage on top of the conj nukes.  Granted...it's not much lol.

Sure, but it's hardly worth going out of your way to level THM to 15 first. You'll have to eventually level THM anyway, but the survivability you get from having "Cure" from low levels as a THM far outstrips any damage gained as a CNJ from Thunder. The only reason one should consider doing THM first if their endgoal is White Mage is if one starts the game with friends, and they happen to have chosen classes from Uldah (so you can start alongside them)...even then you might consider starting as CNJ, getting level 10 and then chocoboing to Uldah so you can be their healer (either as CNJ or THM).

• SpcTstCrnchSpcTstCrnch Member Posts: 28

I'm looking into the game as well but my questions are. does it play like FFXI - where you have to wait up to 5 seconds before your character attacks, or is it like WoW/Rift you press a # key to do said ability, and are you forced to group up after level 10 in XI you pretty much had to group up after you left the starting zone.

Did they bring back the nearly impossible level limit breaks fights like in XI. you have to find a impossible level creature, defeat him bring it back to the old guy and hope and pray you defeat him, to increase your level cap by 5? all the way to level 70. 

do you have to spend an absurdly amount of gil to buy  certain spells off of Auction houses to get parties. 

iirc all attacks where on a 2.5 sec cooldown on my pugilist. They may have been slightly less on the thaumaturge, perhaps 2 seconds. At first it felt somewhat slow, but especially for the pugilist, it made sense very quickly, because the 2.5 seconds was enough time for me, to position and react to combat, while having enough time to keep buffs and chains running optimally. It didnt feel twitch like at all, but fairly comfortable and less stressfull than other games Ive played melee chars in. 

Ultimately it did not feel slow, but with practise it did sometimes feel restrictive. I could have been in optimal position, and worked my sequences faster than the 2.5 seconds allowed. - However if it was faster, Im sure it also would end up feeling twitchy, which I dont particularly enjoy all of the time.

As to the Limit break. I asume you mean the group ability? -  I executed it twice per run in the low level dungeons. It did not seem like there would be any reason for a healer, or tank to use this ability at those levels - and it filled up quickly enough to be usable between the first half of the dungeon and still have it available on the last boss. - I have no reference to what this ability did before A realm Reborn though. - In the new version its simply a group ability, with its own progress bar that fills slowly as you kill monsters with your group. It seemed to be a hard single attack to the melee damage class, a heal for the archer, and a defensive ability for the tank. I did not see the conjurer or thaumaturges version.

I dont know if there were any spells you had to purchase on the market but I did not play any high level characters. - I got a lvl 18 ability from a quest by the guildmaster, - perhaps - this is how some abilities are given now?

I soloed my pugilist till I stopped playing. I was lvl 24 I think. I did a lot of grouping for dungeons and for the guild leves. If I had wanted to just solo I could have done that. There is a group finder tool, that allows you to do dungeons very easily. Since the group content - first time round - is fairly easy, it wasnt an issue to pug it. - But if you are worried about not being able to level by yourself, dont be. There is plenty of fates, quests, and hunting log challenges to let you gain experience while by yourself.

• SpcTstCrnchSpcTstCrnch Member Posts: 28
    In FFXI you had to find a creature and when you inspected it it had a "impossible to tell difficulty." which means it wasn't a very easy  or very hard level mob, it was a ? mob, you defeated that mob got the item it dropped and brought it back to this old man that you needed to defeat to increase your level beyond 50 you had to do it 4-5 times to get to max level, and you had to be certain classes or he would just eat you and spit you out like yesterday's garbage, that was the level limit break. also if you died you lost a % amount of Exp when you died so you could technically de-level. 
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by SpcTstCrnch

I'm looking into the game as well but my questions are. does it play like FFXI - where you have to wait up to 5 seconds before your character attacks, or is it like WoW/Rift you press a # key to do said ability, and are you forced to group up after level 10 in XI you pretty much had to group up after you left the starting zone.

Did they bring back the nearly impossible level limit breaks fights like in XI. you have to find a impossible level creature, defeat him bring it back to the old guy and hope and pray you defeat him, to increase your level cap by 5? all the way to level 70. 

do you have to spend an absurdly amount of gil to buy  certain spells off of Auction houses to get parties. 

Someone sounds bitter :P

Originally posted by SpcTstCrnch

No - it's far more like WoW in all these respects.

Technically, there are story quests, somewhat similar to FFXI's 'missions' where you will be forced to group to unlock certain features of the game, but they can be done much more easily and with small groups. Otherwise you can more or less viably solo the whole game if you want.