Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A solid request: Please make SWTOR a good game!

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

OK,

So we've all had ups and downs with our postings, but I have a sincere interest in seeing this game THRIVE!  I won't waste anyone's time with posting what this game needs, or what it's strengths are. If you are reading this, chances are you already know.

But then we ask, why doesn't this game succeed?

*SIGH*. 

Everyone was fired or laid off that was on the original team.  There really isn't enough people on the project to pump out content on the (then) 4 week,  (later) 6 week, now 8 week schedule.  The game has such lackluster fiscals during the quarterly reports that it needs to be lumped with successful games to show a gain.  The rise in the cashshop (Cartel Market) might help explain this as well.  Gambling packs in!  Content material Out!

I think the Old Republic has a huge RICH story.  The books are nothing short of amazing.  EA's class stories are great.  I stand by that 100%.

Why would EA just tank this game and let it dwindle down to Star Wars fans only?

EA: Your graphics engine is horrible.  Fix this, it might cost $100 million, but your profit might be a $-Billion.  Stop seeing things short term.

EA, please don't trash Star Wars.  I recently played some really good 8 and 16 bit Star Wars games.  CUTTING EDGE.  What you offer leaves me that you have the SW license ... looking somewhere else.

Fans and critics welcome!

Trolls: please go elsewhere.

This is an earnest request to EA, I don't know how else to reach them.  Make this thread popular?  Who knows.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• ImpsyImpsy Member UncommonPosts: 53

Sorry bud, that ship has sailed. Best to look forward to the new stuff coming out.

If not, well, keep clinging to that raft..

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

A good singleplayer story does not make a good MMO.

It especially doesn't make an MMO where people will stick around after they finished the story.

It especially doesn't help if that story is loaded with padding and fetch quests, and is incredibly unoriginal, with too many references to the original trilogy that don't make sense. (why do all the sith ships look like vaders start destroyer?)

Only way to make this game good was for it to be singleplayer.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

It especially doesn't make an MMO where people will stick around after they finished the story.

It especially doesn't help if that story is loaded with padding and fetch quests, and is incredibly unoriginal, with too many references to the original trilogy that don't make sense. (why do all the sith ships look like vaders start destroyer?)

Only way to make this game good was for it to be singleplayer.

SWTOR **could** be a good MMORPG.

Player interaction is fine, but what holds this game down is the graphics engine, IMO.

Fetch quests are not uncommon in themeparks, so that out.  SWTOR is not a multiplayer game because is does not allow for multiplayer once the story is finished.  This is what needs to be fixed, the engine to handle graphics is awful, and that is what holds the MMORPG factor down.  There is a huge amount of stuff that players could do together, but they can't,  .. well they could but getting 10 fps isn't very fun.

Short term on EA's part also .. attack people who have graphics issues .. blame it on their computers & their settings.  I hope EA stops this (many of those devs & mods were fired since, so I hope that helps the issue).  I think the new hires were simply told never to bring it up, which they have done quite effectively.

Problems still exist, hence this post for a fix, because SWTOR is broken.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• JRVthatsMEJRVthatsME Member Posts: 17
    I agree with your point of view although I do not agree about the graphics. I don't find anything wrong with the graphics and have enjoyed them in fact. Granted I don't have a high end graphics card and there is no way I can afford one but on the other hand I don't think the game should be restricted to only those who are well off enough to be able to afford high end expensive hardware, which would just reduce the **potential** player base anyway. I've enjoyed playing through the story content of the game and I find it a much better way to gain levels then the constant grinding that most mmos require players to do to gain levels. The downside with the game is what to do when you run out of story content. Now the story focused content is essentially a single player game style but compare that to grinding in other mmos where you would likely spend hours off by yourself killing the exact same enemies over and over which is pretty single player at those times and get very boring. SWTOR needs to focus on player driven content now so that it can keep players and allow players collectively as a group to be able to create their own fun. That's where the long term fun gameplay exist and they should be looking how the persistent worlds in Neverwinter Nights that have lasted very long approached these things and have long lasting communities. SWTOR is good at attracting player but when it has what's required to keep players long term then it's journey to being a great game shall be complete.
  • bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

SWTOR is average, but that an average Star Wars game is still better than most other games out there. It isn't going to change though, this is what SWTOR is and always will be.

In the future, lets hope that EA does some new Star Wars games to appeal to more people.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don't think graphics really is the big problem here.

First of all they should remove the cut scenes for none class stories. For sidequests it is just annoying no matter how much money they put into it. It wouldn't cost much and is an easy fix.

Then they need to fix the group dynamics and multiplaying better. A MMO needs to ace this part but TOR makes soloing best and that kills long time enjoyment badly.

The PvP doesn't really work either but I wouldn't put any work into it and instead use all resource on making multiplayer PvE just right. If they do that a lot more players would get into the game again and they could put work into graphics, PvP and other stuff later.

And they really need to rethink the F2P model to be more like TERA or DDO and less like EQ2 as well. That might initially lose them some money but it will win in the long run.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

SW:ToR is a good game, it is just not the kind of MMO that people that hang out here want.

It have a very good story, it offer a good balance in difficulty and it strikes a very good balance between solo and group content. Could it have been more... Maybe under a different developer. But BW did this and this is how BW does games. So i am not sure what people was expecting. Every studio have their own way of doing things and i am not sure if EA have another studio that would have done it better.

Also, while small changes might happen (Blizzard is a good example of how far developers dare to push things these days) no major changes will happen and i think that ironically it is the SW fans that have made sure that it will stay that way. After all CU and NGE caused such a  backlash that no sane developer would ever do it again.

Think people simply have to accept SW:ToR for what it is. Glasses, ratty hair and all. Because it will not change in any major way and down the line people will remember it as one of the games that tried something new.

Maybe single player RPG elements do not work in a MMO, but i for one think it was worth a try, and you can not deny that the games story have some rather kick ass moments.

This have been a good conversation

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by tawess

SW:ToR is a good game, it is just not the kind of MMO that people that hang out here want.

It have a very good story, it offer a good balance in difficulty and it strikes a very good balance between solo and group content. Could it have been more... Maybe under a different developer. But BW did this and this is how BW does games. So i am not sure what people was expecting. Every studio have their own way of doing things and i am not sure if EA have another studio that would have done it better.

Also, while small changes might happen (Blizzard is a good example of how far developers dare to push things these days) no major changes will happen and i think that ironically it is the SW fans that have made sure that it will stay that way. After all CU and NGE caused such a  backlash that no sane developer would ever do it again.

Think people simply have to accept SW:ToR for what it is. Glasses, ratty hair and all. Because it will not change in any major way and down the line people will remember it as one of the games that tried something new.

Maybe single player RPG elements do not work in a MMO, but i for one think it was worth a try, and you can not deny that the games story have some rather kick ass moments.

The problem is that it isn't a good MMO so most player played it like a regular game and was done in a few months or weeks.

They need to get multiplayer as good as the singleplayer part if they want more players.

I do think that you can make a MMO with great singleplayer part but you can't cheap out on the multiplayer game when you do it. And I do think that Bioware actually could fix that part of the game but the question is if they want to, it would be rather expensive.

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

As much as I would like to see SWTOR succeed, whenever you consider the changes that are needed it would require a massive overhaul.  You quickly realize that its like building on a rotten house foundation - you might just be better off dynamiting what's there and starting over.

Star Wars is too valuable an IP to let founder, especially with the next cycle of movies being made.  Here is what I hope happens:

- SOE has a huge hit with EQ Next as a revolutionary sandbox title

- Using EQ Next as their sandbox model direction, and taking what was beloved about SWG (pre-NGE) they announce Star Wars Galaxies 2 which will be set in the post-Palpatine era and truly be a game world whose storyline the players develop themselves

OR

- re-make SWTOR 2 on the same above principles

Alas, I don't think the current SWTOR can be saved.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    At this point, they'd practically have to make a new game to fix TOR's issues. They already tried throwing money at the engine. It didn't help.

I don't believe that the game would actually need a complete overhaul to become more multi-player friendly. The approach that should be taken when modifying game content to avoid the mistakes of the past is to add to what already exist without removing what is already in place. A theme park style game can have some **semi sandbox like features** in it that can work out really well. Once the release for pvp players is out in october they should focus on getting guild capitol ships out as the primary objective, hopefully by early next year at the latest. That will be a good start. For example when fleet star bases were added to STO. I imagine guild capitol ship in SWTOR would work in a kinda similar way. The hero game engine used to create SWTOR is capable of having town building features in game as shown in some of the games here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZA9JCbVnzY so being able to have player made towns and settlements in the game could be done. I would probably be more like how villages work in Villagers and Heroes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qufyYRoxizQ but that is still usable even if not as completely free form as many players would like. Having playable space around planets is fairly straight forward since it's mostly the same as empty ground content with a planet in the middle but what is need there (and for making more diverse and unique player characters) is to be able to learn abilities outside of your class (extra abilities in addition to what your class gets automatically). If Bioware have used similar methods to how they made classes and abilities work in their previous games (not the game rule system but on the coding side of things) then it would be relatively easy and simple for them to add what would basically be an addition separate set of skill trees that would allow to be able to learn some abilities from other class trainers and make a pilot class trainer where players can extra maneuvers and combat abilities for space combat. My point is that it is not impossible to add multi-player friendly content to the game as is without a complete overhaul through update.

What is needed to get the ball rolling is for the guild capitol ships to get released and I think that is what players should be saying they want done since some work has already been done on it. EA is looking at SWTOR as saying to themselves how can we make the most money possible out of this. If we had a poll or petition with many thousands of gamers saying they want guild capitol ships in SWTOR then EA might see that as the best way to make money from the game and let Bioware make that a priority rather then little things that attract players short term etc.

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Ehliya

Here is what I hope happens:

- Using EQ Next as their sandbox model direction, and taking what was beloved about SWG (pre-NGE) they announce Star Wars Galaxies 2 which will be set in the post-Palpatine era and truly be a game world whose storyline the players develop themselves

OR

I understand personal opinions are laced into the OP, however I disagree. Keep your SWG out of my SWTOR.  I didn't like it then and I do not want it now. Turning SWTOR into a sandbox is not the magic key to save it.

Originally posted by tawess

*snip*

I find this to be extremely true. Playing what "you want" however falls on your ability to properly research games while/when they come out and not scream "unfair" when it isn't what you were thinking it was going to be (which is what it seems that most people who hand out here wanted)

My wife (someone who actually hates star wars) and I bought into the game BECAUSE of the story aspects, this made us what to play. so our expectation was actually catered to, we thought the game was actually good, but then again we researched and "knew" what the game was going to be like.

Originally posted by DavisFlight

True, however considering what they call an MMO these days it is as good a definition as any.

Originally posted by Loke666

I don't think graphics really is the big problem here.

First of all they should remove the cut scenes for none class stories. For sidequests it is just annoying no matter how much money they put into it. It wouldn't cost much and is an easy fix.

Then they need to fix the group dynamics and multiplaying better. A MMO needs to ace this part but TOR makes soloing best and that kills long time enjoyment badly.

The PvP doesn't really work either but I wouldn't put any work into it and instead use all resource on making multiplayer PvE just right. If they do that a lot more players would get into the game again and they could put work into graphics, PvP and other stuff later.

And they really need to rethink the F2P model to be more like TERA or DDO and less like EQ2 as well. That might initially lose them some money but it will win in the long run.

For the most part ^this^. These are all "minor" fixes that would greatly enhance the multi-person-re-playability. Cut scenes are great, but I think they should have only stuck to main quests, all that extra side "sceneing" could really have been better spent elsewhere.

Best part is, none of these suggestions change the basic foundation of the game drastically (you know like changing it to sandbox SWG 2). It is obvious that PvP doesn't work. I'm all in favor of just simply dropping it all together in favor of far more and richer world content.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
    ^ I completely agree. My favorite star wars game by far was Knights of the Old Republic because I found the story very addictive and I just had to know everything about everyone and everything in the game. I do like the cut scenes in SWTOR and instead of getting rid of them I'd rather see a means to be able to toggle them on or off so you wouldn't have to see them if you didn't want to but still could if you did want to. Lets face it, Star Wars has always been about story and it's the story in the movies that got us so hooked. Being able to play out our own story and interact with the stories of other players is what will give this game a long term community and that is helped along through the addition of guild features and making it so we can better act out role playing events us players come up with. Guild capitol ships will start that being in place in the game and when players start sticking around to get involved in guild activities with the capitol ships it will show EA where to focus when it comes to what is considered end game content.
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

star wars isnt story,,its storyTELLING

the original trilogy is practically a cut and paste  good night story for kids

in fact, it often takes that element all the way over to sarchasm and irony

cute princesses, evil wizards,,theyre all there

but the way  they told it was so good, that we gobbled it up

in the prequels, the story evolved a Little, but the storytelling dropped a lot

lets see how mr abrams handles Things,, im cautiously optimistic

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

mate what you're asking for is pulling a Final Fantasy type revamp or reverse-NGE.

Do you seriously think that will happen? Listen to their live streams, they still think TOR is the second coming of awesomeness.

They never admit mistakes they made, they never outline what the future will bring or how to deal with the fundamental design and technical problems this game has.

Play it or leave it, there is nothing in between. Or wait for the new Battlefront and hope it has some massive multiplayer elements.

As much as I would like to see SWTOR succeed, whenever you consider the changes that are needed it would require a massive overhaul.  You quickly realize that its like building on a rotten house foundation - you might just be better off dynamiting what's there and starting over.

Star Wars is too valuable an IP to let founder, especially with the next cycle of movies being made.  Here is what I hope happens:

OR

star wars is valuable, indeed

and now you want to leave it to 100-200k fans?

good luck with getting the Money for the IP

if you do,,you wiil have about 2$ left to spend on the actual GAME

seeing how many resources they wasted on swtor, i doubt we will ever see a big budget star wars mmo Again

the suits wont gamble that kind of Money with this track record

• LizardKing89LizardKing89 Member UncommonPosts: 61

OR

Both are great ideas but I don't think I could trust SOE or EA again.  Both had great games in the palms of their greedy little hands and both companies fucked up big.  They look the fastest laziest approach and ruined their games because Star Wars fans like us are desperate for a good Star Wars mmo.  I got suckered twice I don't think that I'm game for a 3rd go around.

problem is this: only a GREEDY Company can afford the IP

and they want to milk the IP of all the Cash they can get

im so disappointed in Disney , for giving EA the rights

specially, after they have shown their true intentions

expect the next star wars games to be pure monygrabs

PS: AFAIK , EA didnt even pay real Cash for the swtor rights,,they "borrowed" it, for some % of the return