Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 months after launch, What SnailUsa has done about bots/goldsellers/buyers & spam.

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I will be the first to tell you, I think 8 of my friends and I could do the job that SnailUsa is doing. That being said, what good they've done can not be dismissed either. 

Now we know every mmorpg (worth playing) from WoW to AION, to GW2 has had problems with bots and gold selling. This is what SnailUsa has done over the past 3 months.

1. Gold buyers/sellers - The huge ban hammer. For about 3 weeks back in May, snail went nuts and banned anyone who stood to close to a gold seller. i was wrongly frozen for 2 days along with hundreds of other people. some people were frooze for as long as a week, other were perma banned. They could have handled it better by using a scapal instead of a sledgehammer, but they did handle it. Prices on everything crashed, and the remaining sellers more than doubled their price. 

2. For gold seller spam they -

a) took the limit of our block list

b) increased the progression level at which a player could chat in all channels except general

c) Added a local block so that you don't have to see them talk

d) Added a report button

3. This week SnailUsa shut down a major bot ring that the Asians called "The factory." 

4. Come August 8th only subbed players will be able to farm. This is a big one. There will be a lot of push back against this. As I've said AoW is more of a sub game (for new players) with an unlimited f2p option.

edit - Additions

5. Today 7/31 a new system was implemented to end credit card fraud. New players can no longer convert purchased gold to silver. They will only be able to convert to a bound "Silver Note". This silver notes will prevent bad silver from hitting the market.

Where are we now? In a much better place. Has the problem been eradicated? No, the problem has been greatly reduced. Could more be done? Sure, and judging by SnailUsa's track record more will be done.

SnailUsa is far from perfect, but the can not be accused of sitting on their thumbs. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Sounds good. I'll have to log in and check it out, I've been missing AoW lately.

Gold spam and botting were slowly killing the game when I left.
  • DeitylightDeitylight Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by bcbully

I will be the first to tell you, I think 8 of my friends and I could do the job that SnailUsa is doing. That being said, what good they've done can not be dismissed either. 

Now we know every mmorpg (worth playing) from WoW to AION, to GW2 has had problems with bots and gold selling. This is what SnailUsa has done over the past 3 months.

1. Gold buyers/sellers - The huge ban hammer. For about 3 weeks back in May, snail went nuts and banned anyone who stood to close to a gold seller. i was wrongly frozen for 2 days along with hundreds of other people. some people were frooze for as long as a week, other were perma banned. They could have handled it better by using a scapal instead of a sledgehammer, but they did handle it. Prices on everything crashed, and the remaining sellers more than doubled their price. 

2. For gold seller spam they -

a) took the limit of our block list

b) increased the progression level at which a player could chat in all channels except general

c) Added a local block so that you don't have to see them talk

d) Added a report button

3. This week SnailUsa shut down a major bot ring that the Asians called "The factory." 

4. Come August 8th only subbed players will be able to farm. This is a big one. There will be a lot of push back against this. As I've said AoW is more of a sub game (for new players) with an unlimited f2p option.

Where are we now? In a much better place. Has the problem been eradicated? No, the problem has been greatly reduced. Could more be done? Sure, and judging by SnailUsa's track record more will be done.

SnailUsa is far from perfect, but the can not be accused of sitting on their thumbs. 

Goddamnit snails, I was really hoping they wouldn't include that subbed feature for farming but it seems it can't be helped ( or they are to lazy to find another way.)

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Wulin on EU server does seem to be booming with people. However bots/hacks are starting to appear too. Yesterday someone brought literally  an army of newby character bots (20+, but could be many more) walking and teleporting them all around school walls and roofs on what  it seemd a predetermined path. It was like someone was trying to spread them all over for -I don't know what-, maybe script stealing event or such.

• Temp1234Temp1234 Member UncommonPosts: 47

This notion of progress from the OP is simply untrue, people are still blatently hacking and the bots are at an all time high.  Even if Snail plans on limiting the farming or crafting to VIP only, it wont amount to anything since kidnap and script steal bots are much more profitable than farming ones.

There are no fixes presently nor planned for the future, period. If you can somehow manage to stomach the rampant bots and multitude of hacks used, you're good to go. Its essentially just bots running around town and some people logging on once in awhile to TP grief and pvp/gank.

You're better off checking their forums yourself, this is just an attempt to get more people to play due to everyone quitting.  Unfortunatly Age of Wulin is the same story, its not quite as bad..but its just a matter of time. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    New system hit the game today. See OP.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"