Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sometimes i believe the critics about BMurphy...

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

especially when something this classic gets an entirely new revamp that went live with no announcement on the day it goes live by this website. at all.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by aspekx

especially when something this classic gets an entirely new revamp that went live with no announcement on the day it goes live by this website. at all.

Runescape doesn't advertise on this site.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Stromm

Runescape doesn't advertise on this site.

ya. that's what i was afraid of.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    They really don't cover MMOs for children at this site, outside of an occasional article.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SagethornSagethorn Member UncommonPosts: 57

didnt they cover it in a mmoftw update a few weeks back ?

[edit] 

http://www.mmorpg.com/showVideo.cfm/videoId/3149

starts at about 2:28

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

they did cover it back then, but whenever an mmo launches a large patch or expac it typically tends up on the front at the top on the date it goes live.

im really trying not to be cynical here, but its admittedly difficult at times. im not a huge RS player, but the game has a rather large fan/sub base and this is a fairly significant change in the game experience. so while i certainly dont expect all games to have all patches or updates on the front page top, i think something as large as this being barely touched upon is just a bit odd.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Jagex is a private company. Not being publicly traded or owned as a subsidiary of a larger company with investors it would have to please, they are not pressured as much to do the kind of advertisement that a lot of MMOG push on us (solicited or not). And their first concern is pleasing their current, active and paying community, over any one else.

So, most of the information is where they know that their players will look for it. That is not to say that they don't try a little. They post weekly (and often 2-3 times weekly) videos on their Youtube channel. They have a Facebook as well. They also have a Twitter. A Podcast accessible through Podbean or iTunes...heck even a Flickr chat

They use social networks and 'in' things to advertise mostly (though I have seen a few tv commercials as well). Why? probably because it's pretty easy to play runescape while you check your facebook and send out tweets, and a healthy amount of their users do. Newer players (if I am not mistaken) can even sign into runescape using their facebook. They use what is the most popular, because their player base is largely comprised of online social butterflies.

It's a shame that such pivotal game changing news didn't hit this site in a big way. But, that may be because this site might not even be on Jagex's radar. I have suggested on the forums before that they persue active representation on this and other 'MMO Sites'. The only response I got in such threads was from players chastising me for wanting that over some actual game update, lol. And, the topics all quickly died and got buried by threads people actually cared about.

That is not to say that advertising on this site and like sites would not be beneficial. Just that if you want it you need to get their attention on that. Because, they don't care unless you show them why they should and the community mostly agrees with you. Because, as I said their first priority is taking care of the community they have. In their live streams, campfires, and BTS they talk about what they are doing for current players. What they are doing to garner new players is not mentioned. because while it is nice to see new players, they don't really need it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

they did cover it back then, but whenever an mmo launches a large patch or expac it typically tends up on the front at the top on the date it goes live.

im really trying not to be cynical here, but its admittedly difficult at times. im not a huge RS player, but the game has a rather large fan/sub base and this is a fairly significant change in the game experience. so while i certainly dont expect all games to have all patches or updates on the front page top, i think something as large as this being barely touched upon is just a bit odd.

Do you have a link to Jagex's recent press release or mail blast about Runescape 3?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre