Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surprised this game didn't get more love after F2P

Comments

• grvmpybeargrvmpybear Member Posts: 90
    It was pretty, but it had nothing else going for it.

Currently playing: GW2 (Maguuma), DAoC (Uthgard), & Aion
    Waiting For / Watching: TUG, CU, Black Desert, Archeage,Wildstar, and ESO.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I thought I was smart, buying Tera cheap before going f2p to get benefits.

Played for three days before I started to puke over the typical asian grind fest.

It will be interesting to see how many people say that for CU, if it ever even funds (the trendline isn't looking good).  I mean you bought a game without doing any research (YouTube, forums, etc) and then walked away disappointed that it wasn't how you imagined it to be.  That is exactly what is happening with CU.  Except you felt the need to shit on another game with some shallow racist comments about asian grinding too.

The game is Korean.  Koreans have different tastes in gaming.  Didn't you consider that when you purchased?

Dear sir,

Please try to understand, that I do not shot on other games. I told my opinion. If you mean my opinion is invalid and shitty, well... Then sorry for breathing sir?

Tera feels and looks like typical asian grind games to me.

I reached 20. Repeat quests and grind was on the menu, which I got really tired of (Sorry for my shit there, you know).

It feels like another typical MMO for me.

- Nice graphics

- Big boobs everywhere

- Insane grind.

I describe this game as a Asian MMORPG

Taken from Wikipedia:

"South Korea is a presidential republic consisting of seventeen administrative divisions and is a developed country with a very high standard of living. It is Asia's fourth largest economy and the world's 15th (nominal) or 12th (purchasing power parity) largest economy"

Wikipedia disagrees with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korea

I wouldn't comment on your CU bashing. I answered why I wasn't surprised about the game not being popular, you bash CU in a Tera thread. At least bash CU in a CU thread.

Tera has HARDLY any grind what so ever. You don't have to do a single repeat quest and you'll still hit 60 2 zones before you run out of areas to quest in. There is NEVER a level where you run out of quests to do so you never have to buckle down and grind.

I was about level 17 or so. I did many repeat quest because at that moment because I ran out of quests to find.

Also, what was your point posting all that info on Korea from wikipedia? That says shit all about what korean's tastes in games are compared to ours.

I never compared their taste to ours. I just claimed that Tera is another asian grinding MMO.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by Sephiroso

Tera has HARDLY any grind what so ever. You don't have to do a single repeat quest and you'll still hit 60 2 zones before you run out of areas to quest in. There is NEVER a level where you run out of quests to do so you never have to buckle down and grind.

I was about level 17 or so. I did many repeat quest because at that moment because I ran out of quests to find.

Also, what was your point posting all that info on Korea from wikipedia? That says shit all about what korean's tastes in games are compared to ours.

I never compared their taste to ours. I just claimed that Tera is another asian grinding MMO.

No offense, but level 17 is still newbie land with just a few skills before any instance. It takes a decent player 2-3 hours max to get tehre. This player will have to skip quests to not get too high level for new quests. And, no, it's not rocket science to find those quests. All you really had to do was following the campaign quest and it would have taken you  by the hand like a little kid and showed yo to all the quests. Big glowing symbols. Things marked on map. I thought it's impossible to fail at something this easy to do this but you proved me wrong?

The biggest joke is you still keeping up that misinformation about the game being an asia grinder. You don't get to max level in 4 days in an asia grinder. There are no quests giving tons of XP in an asia grinder. This has been explained to you, why do you still ignore this fact?

Really, your post is one of the weakest I've seen in a long time. I don't get it why you are so proud about your lack of knowledge and experience and don't even try to fix your mistakes when people explain them to you.

LFG!
  • kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I tried Tera ftp on EU servers and I found commands to be very strange. I even try to play with PS3 joypad and it was even worse. After few hours I just gave up.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    The same reason it went F2P is the reason people don't give it more love.
  • DubricusDubricus Member Posts: 5

The reason it went f2p its because theres no much end game content and ppl stopped paying to wait and see if they would get new stuff. Now they are just trying to milk players with cosmetics and pets, and shitty events that can only get u rewards if u open lockboxes with keys that are only available through cash shop.

Worst part of the lack of love to the game is the fact that tomorrows is the one year anniversary and theres no word of event or new stuff as celebration.

• Mad-E-FactMad-E-Fact Member Posts: 70

Started playing this recently, got a Zerker to lvl 25. Questing is pretty repetitive and tediously linear, however I'm having a blast soloing the odd group monster where timing and skill comes into play. That's where the combat system starts to shine. How long that will last idk, but it's free so hey.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

i tried the game and i stopped playing for a lot of reasons.

animation lock in action based game.

hated the way it looked, yes i know it very high res and all but the astetics are just bad over bright colors everywhere.

no real change in enemy mobs just reskins on aperence with mobs uses same style attacks.

super long travel time even though its not phase less, no reason for it.

and the two really big one for me

glue on bikini armor for females, hate this stuff

and the non stoe lolie chat in game, and yes i can blame the game for that cause there is no way they though they could make a race like that and not get it.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• zeroxevozeroxevo Member Posts: 1

There are some plus points to this game if you had tried to invest some time into playing each class and see the playstyle is very different from other tab/skill cast games on the market.

It's a matter of taste for the controls and playstyle. Or should i say it matter of habit. I was a long time WoW player and quitted and went MMO hopping for a good 5-6 years. Tried many games over the last few years. SWTOR, TSW, Aion, Aika, Alantica, Rohan, DDO. I did not make most of them to endgame except for a few.

Tera is the first game that I find that there are 3 possible way to play unlike most MMO. Example are the long wait for instance matching in other game. You can actually do it with other classes other than Lancer/Warr. Like Bezerkers can hate-tank and defend even in boss fight provided the player knew exactly what to do instead of mindless dps-ing. There are no static fight in TERA. Those people who tried and say Lancer/Bezerkers are slow, you have not played enough or far enough in both class. I only started in End Feb 13 but tried 5 out of the 7 classes to 40-50 lvl range. I can pretty much tell how well each player is playing in open map or in instances.

You can level up in 3 main methods -1) BAM hunting with >2 players or solo 3-5 lvl under for BAMs 2) Quest grind (yea questing is irritating long but good if you know how to get the same area mobs in 1 go) 3) Instance grinding

If you complain about TERA being an Asian Grindfest, you have never played a Asian Grindfest game to death.... Silkroad... Cabal... Aika. You name them and I have likely played them once in the last 6 yrs.

The combat system is one which you need to know your role and how to maximise it. Animation skill cast/lock is like a decision commitment that you cannot back out of. If you had committed to do X dmg with Y skill, it's your playstyle decision and you cannot recind it on commitment. Traditional MMO makes that decision differently like in Raid of EQ and WoW, if you dps do something stupid and likelihood of wiping is higher. Just like in Tera, if you Lancer choose to want to dps over defence (which is could do somewhat decent DPS), it's likely that the priest/mystic cannot keep up with the dmg dealt on him/her and resuliting in death of both. Give the combat system a chance. I have tried 5 classes and all are very different for any other MMO that I have tried. If you have the skill, you can kite-tank in an instance if you know what to do. (not recommended for active-play style haters) and everytime you try a different class, it feels totally different.

Auto-attack on left mouse click? You only do that like 5% of the total playtime(especially <15lvls) and only for selected classes. If you do not use skill to deal dmg on mobs in open maps/instance, you are just torturing yourself.

Hope my 2c is not offensive to anyone.

Cheers

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Its just not what most of us are looking for in an MMO.  To be terrible in every single aspect but graphics and combat doesnt cut it, and the combat isnt even that good for an action game.

There is a reason why the f2p model is very generous.  The game isnt good enough (to most) to afford a LOTRO style heavy restrictions freemium model.  The better your game is, the less you have to give away for free.

I really like that quote :). Sums up and answers the "sub-versus-F2P" debate quite neatly.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure TERA had to go F2P for the same reason other P2P MMOs to go that route have. It simply wasn't good enough and there wasn't enough "meat on the bones" to keep people interested long enough to make a subscription worthwhile.

This is an issue Developers (Publishers?) can't seem to figure out.

If you're designing a game intended for longevity, as in, keeping people playing as long as possible, then you can not create the game where getting to level cap and end-game is a short-term affair. The same pattern keeps repeating over and over again. Developers create a MMO with an insanely fast leveling curve, make the mistake of believing that any content they develop is going to somehow keep players from burning through it, and then are left in the unenviable position of having players saying, "Okay, so I'm level cap and have done all the end-game content. What now?" a mere 2-3 weeks after starting out.

When it comes time to pay that subscription fee, if the developer doesn't have an answer in the form of another 30 days' worth of content to partake in, guess what? They ain't renewing their sub and you're losing those players. This is why Sub-based MMOs fail. It's not the revenue model (as much as some would like to believe so). It's developers creating a game in a way that's completely counter-intuitive to sustaining a long-term sub-based type of game experience.

As impatient as players are, as much as they complain about "leveling taking too long", if you pace the gameplay more, provide players more long-term goals to pursue, and choke back on the leveling rate (it's okay if players can't reach level cap within 2-3 weeks... really!) - if you give them enough to do along the way, enough "meaningful" activities to participate in, they're going to keep playing. This has been proven in many MMOs over the past decade-plus.

If you have super developers who can crank out halfway decent content on a month-to-month basis (and I don't mean churning out another 200 "kill x of y" type deals), or you have at least a year's worth of new content developed and ready to be tested and implemented on a monthly basis, keeping the experience new and fresh for your players, then you've got something there. Turbine managed it for years with AC1. Rift seems to have a pretty aggressive update schedule. So, it can be done.. if you're positioned and prepared to do it.

If you can't do that, then you've gotta pace the players. They'll bitch and complain about it being "too slow" and all this. But they'll also keep playing because, at the end of the day - despite the bitching and complaining - they are enjoying the game enough to continue playing it. Those who find it too unbearable aren't sticking around regardless and have probably left a long time ago anyway, so there's no point in trying to cater to them.

The trick is to focus on your core player base, balance out the pacing and keep it interesting. Here's a hint, running players all over a map, talking to floating quest markers and accepting 500 variations on the same basic "kill" or "collect" task is not interesting. It's boring and repetitive. I know people say "kill and collect quests are the meat and potatoes of a MMO, and there's no way to really do it any differently". I say those people are wrong, because not only can it be done. It has been done. Read through the missions linked from this page, for an example.

Those are quests. They're not menial, mindless and repetitive tasks. They're actual quests. They have actual fully realized storylines that aren't lame and unoriginal "excuses" to go kill 10 more of the same exact wolves you just killed 50 of in your last 3 quests. There's a variety of challenges and many of them have absolutely nothing to do with killing mobs. In a number of them, in fact, you're better served avoiding a fight. So, it's not that quests can't be done any differently. It's just that they aren't (or at least not very often).

When players have been lulled into believing "kill and collect" quests are "the best we'll ever get", and their expectations have been dramatically lowered to never expect any better, is it any wonder developers don't strive to be more creative or original?

Now that's easier said than done, I know. But it is do-able. Just look at all the old-school MMOs with subs that are still running to this day - still with subs, or at least the option to pay one. Those people are stil playing those games because they still enjoy them. That's because those MMOs were designed to last.

There's a lesson to be learned there, if only developers and publishers would pay attention, and players would start demanding better.

• Mad-E-FactMad-E-Fact Member Posts: 70

[quote]Originally posted by Ayulin
    [b]

Originally posted by strangiato2112 Its just not what most of us are looking for in an MMO.  To be terrible in every single aspect but graphics and combat doesnt cut it, and the combat isnt even that good for an action game.   There is a reason why the f2p model is very generous.  The game isnt good enough (to most) to afford a LOTRO style heavy restrictions freemium model.
    The reason LOTRO can afford to do what it does is that it's the only game based on the Middle Earth setting. The quality of the game has declined sharply after Moria, the recent expansions being a huge joke and ripoff. But Tolkien fans pay up anyway, cause what else are they gonna play?
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by strangiato2112 Its just not what most of us are looking for in an MMO.  To be terrible in every single aspect but graphics and combat doesnt cut it, and the combat isnt even that good for an action game.   There is a reason why the f2p model is very generous.  The game isnt good enough (to most) to afford a LOTRO style heavy restrictions freemium model.

It's not good early on, but by end game almost everyone still playing is playing because they believe the combat is the best combat in an MMO to date, it really is quite spectacular from my perspective. It has actuallly ruined all my other MMOs, can't play WoW anymore and for GW2 I use a TERA combat mod.

As for the F2P restriction or lack of any, they did that not because they couldn't afford to but because it's more beneficial and will get TERA more attention, the key to F2P success is making people feel like they aren't playing a f2p game.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Because a game goes F2P, doesnt make the game any better, only that you can play free with limitations.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I kinda think it sucks for so many reasons I cant be bothered naming them all   . The main one was that it just wasn't fun .

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    There's only so much lipstick you can put on a pig before you stop getting any real benefit.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

First time i went in ,i deleted the game after 30 minutes.

Then i thought well maybe the settings were too low,i should give it another chance,nope had settings all on max,everyone one of them.The starting map had no color,almost no movement just a bunch of blue looking ground,blue rocks,blue npc's .If you ever wanted to see what a dev does to make F2p work cost efficient,TERA  does it.

No way would i go back and try it unless i knew for sure the graphics were turned up 100%.Really sad after watching months of HD videos and expecting to see a quality game,it looked like Webzen made it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Actually I think the reason why it didnt get a lot of extra players/enthusiasm when it went F2P is because it was F2P to begin with.  I never paid a single monthly subscription fee.  I bought chronoscrolls in game.  Pretty much anyone who wanted F2P to begin with did the same.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Wizardry

First time i went in ,i deleted the game after 30 minutes.

Then i thought well maybe the settings were too low,i should give it another chance,nope had settings all on max,everyone one of them.The starting map had no color,almost no movement just a bunch of blue looking ground,blue rocks,blue npc's .If you ever wanted to see what a dev does to make F2p work cost efficient,TERA  does it.

No way would i go back and try it unless i knew for sure the graphics were turned up 100%.Really sad after watching months of HD videos and expecting to see a quality game,it looked like Webzen made it.

You were in the trial area. I don't know why they leave that part of the game in but it's not like the rest of the game.  And if it took you 30 minutes and you were still in that area....you probably shouldn't go back.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    It's a great model and a beautiful game. But the word (while pretty) feels very uninspired to me. The mobs are really cool but they just kinda feel strewn about in no particular order. You don't find a wolves den or even wolves in the forest, no they are just littered everywhere including the roads. It literally feels like you're farming the crops of mobs.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Its combat is amazing, by far one of the best in MMos. Granted some don't like more skill based combat, which is fine but silly to complain about 'rooting' cause they rather just run around crazy spamming stuff with no thought process at all and infinite kite... but I digress, people play MMos not always for challenge, they like things being easy and promote senseless bashing of things which I can understand, I do like to unwind and do that at times, I just enjoy challenge as well.

Graphics are great as well, but again, people are Xenophobic and its 'asian' art style just won't appeal to them. By far a detail that bothers me a lot more then people's sticking against combat (seriously, grow up from that nonsense and learn to respect different art styles, you will be far better off if you do so and open so many more options) but thus still a problem, which to their credit, a lot of Eastern gamers can have the same issue with some western games I'm sure.

That would be the problem, its two biggest strengths unfortunately come at ends with people's mindsets, flawed mindsets mind you, but ones that they have. From there, it tends to make more miss steps from a quest system that is lack luster, the 'end game' being perhaps a little lack luster, more so needing variety more then anything, and the Vanarch system just not being explored fully enough. It unfortunately causes it to drag down. The questing in particular was the major factor in keeping me from deciding to actually buy the game on its launch. As amazing as its combat was, it just felt like a drag to do quests that just felt so stale and stiff. In that regard it just takes to many miss steps.

It seems to be doing decently well though for F2P. I know plenty of people who do enjoy it and can get past its flaws. A more skill/thought based combat system though (an amazing one at that) and a graphic style that is great but unfortunately invokes Xenophobia on the west is likely holding it back from being that popular in the West, much like Aion (top of the charts in the East for a long time) did on its own release. If the game had improved its flaws, I think it would of had a better chance in the west though it still is an upward battle.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by TitanGrip
    Is this the game where you get rooted to the ground by animations when using skills?

Some yes, some no.  Depends on the class and the skill.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• crusher143crusher143 Member UncommonPosts: 198

I just played now my sorc to lvl54 and I think I will quit now ...

I dont know if this is class related or a general problem in TERA but if you have to use all your mana skills after EACH ROTATION that is not fun. Its ok to have 2 mana spells that you would use here and then like in AION but to use them after each rotation which is 10-15 sec. is just plain annoying ...

At the end the mana annoyance really killed the game for me and long waiting queues on dungeons, a few hours most of the time. Then you wipe maybe on one boss and the group full of kids that want everything with no effort disbands /sigh ...

Oh and Ive never had such a boring questing time as in TERA, it was like copy & paste over and over again. Every zone was seriously exactly the same, no other mmo gave me this feeling as bad as TERA.

So even  as a twinker I cant bring myself  to lvl again in TERA as new class.

Other huge problem is the "talent tree", all the stuff I can socket as sorc is total boring. Its mostly everything with lower mana cost and even you glyph everyrhing with lower mana costs you still need to use every mana regen. ability after 1 rotation, so useless.

And the prices in the shop, I dont know the prices on en masse servers but in europe they are our of their minds. Like 20€ for 1 char slot  .... Thats half of a full game for 1 char slot, sure ...

Again a MMO that could be real good destroyed by clueless devs.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by NetSage
    Personally I think it was a good move and they are going about it in a good way.  I'm thinking of subscribing again even :P.

tried it but it looked very dated, really couldn't get into it.

+goldspammed from the minute I logged in was not something I am looking for.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149

@crusher

It's entirely different in endgame. You will use mana charms and get mana from priests/mystics. 

Why aren't you buying the retail version of Tera (Amazon, Ebay and so on and so forth)? 15-20€ only and you will get 8 character slots, all bank slots, 30 days of elite club and more (you get a veteran account this way which lasts forever).

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    The game is basicly the same as every other game out there with a alterard targeting system other than that it offer nothing new and it seems to me people are desperatly looking for somthing new than the same game reskinned, so no it doesnt surprise me it didnt get more popular when it went F2P.

So, if every game is the same (which they are, basically), and the combat is much better, doesn't that make TERA better than all the other games?

I think so.  After playing TERA, it's basically impossible to play any other game with tab-targetting combat.  I bought Guild Wars 2 the other day and it's absolutely awful.