Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why aren't you playing EQ2?

Comments

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

I quit because they removed most of the difficulty. I had played EQ2 for 8 years, ever since the original beta in 04. When WoW and Eq2 were first being released at the same time, the choice was WoW for casual, and EQ2 for challenge. WoW has always catered to the larger audience, while Eq2 was happy being the niche game. 

Lately though, every new expansion in the last 4 years or so has moved from challenging content, to just the normal WoW casualness. It focuses on solo content, and shows the way the industry has moved in the last decade. 

Im really looking forward to EQN, and hope they bring back some of the challenge that EQ1 and EQ2 had. Im also really excited about it being sandbox, and hope it has a really great craft system.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    I've played EQ2 on and off over the years. It is a good game, though I liked it better the first time I played it when it wasn't as easy as it is now.  I left mmo's recently to play the X3 series. X3: Prelude to Albion is a lot like playing EVE single player. And a new X3 is coming this year. So we will see if I go to that or EQN based on what I hear August 2nd.  Nice thing about single player games is that there is nobody in the chat being a flake.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    Originally posted by aslan132

I quit because they removed most of the difficulty. I had played EQ2 for 8 years, ever since the original beta in 04. When WoW and Eq2 were first being released at the same time, the choice was WoW for casual, and EQ2 for challenge. WoW has always catered to the larger audience, while Eq2 was happy being the niche game. 

Lately though, every new expansion in the last 4 years or so has moved from challenging content, to just the normal WoW casualness. It focuses on solo content, and shows the way the industry has moved in the last decade. 

Im really looking forward to EQN, and hope they bring back some of the challenge that EQ1 and EQ2 had. Im also really excited about it being sandbox, and hope it has a really great craft system.

Early EQ2 was the main game that I loved to group in.  Being in groups in EQ2  was actually a lot more fun for me than many other games.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Pretty much the same reasons I don't play a lot of themepark mmo's. Just because WoW did it so much better. 
  • DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307
    I really like the artstyle and the AA system and crafting but combat is just odd. I want more fluid control like SWTOR or WOW even RIFT is better. That is really it. Even EQ is better. Hence why I am playing EQ atm. I pop in once in a  while tho.
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Grey Erudites

Screw that shit.

I want my Black people Erudites back dammit. I heard they are "doing their own thing" with Erudites in EQN

That's a goddamned shame.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    I couldn't get past melee having cast timers on most of their abilities.  It just seemed very odd, and I thought I should be throwing a fireball rather than hacking with an axe.
  • CalibanvovCalibanvov Member UncommonPosts: 192

I remember playing for about 1 1/2 years.  It was a good time.  I left for awhile and came back (a few years ago) and it felt slow. So I couldn't get back into it.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

1. Terrible Engine.

2. Terrible Character Models

3. Terrible Animations.

4. Particle Effects on Melee attacks.. I hate this!

5. Terrible looking particle effects on spells. EQ1 had some of the best and even now they are still some of the best.

6. Way to many abilities.

7. Most of the game world is empty.

9. Terrible combat mechanics.

10. Just boring.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

1. Terrible Engine.

3. Terrible Animations.

5. Terrible looking particle effects on spells. EQ1 had some of the best and even now they are still some of the best.

10. Just boring.

Tell us how you REALLY feel.. J/K  image

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Minjie

Whats your reason for not playing EQ2? i know some of you probably are but im just curious as to why ALOT of people arent :)

I played it alot, enjoyed it alot but I got tired of it. Also it has some stuff I dont like. Still I login from time to time to check that everything is ok.

• BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81

Whats your reason for not playing EQ2? i know some of you probably are but im just curious as to why ALOT of people arent :)

I played EQ2 for around 5-6 years, raided heavily.  Some of the raids in EQ2 were the most memorable MMO moments I've ever had.  The amount of raid content for 2x and 4x groups was always something I appreciated about the game.  Some of the raids were lame and easy, but there were some that were amazing and oh so challenging if you attempted them at their intended tier level, which we always did since our guild played them as they were released. 

The Djinn Master's Prism, anyone?

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Raid_Timeline

-Briz

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

1. Terrible Engine.

3. Terrible Animations.

10. Just boring.

11. Heavy Instancing

12. Linear zone progression

13. Limited lore/race specific starting zones which seem incongruous with the majority of races - why tie all good races to elves, fairies and barbarian lore? Why tie all evil races to Sarnak and dark elf lore? Where's FP? Where's Qeynos? Oh yeah, they are sitting there - untouched for years.....This game started about being about those two opposing cities - now they are all but forgotten.

• GaeluianGaeluian Member UncommonPosts: 114

Loved EQ2, but, just got burnt out. Still one of the best MMO's out there. 

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Honestly, I adore my ratonga (hope they bring them back in EQN). But... it's the combat. I feel very disconnected from it. I want, so badly, to feel some sort of connection to my class but I don't. I never have enjoyed any of the classes and while there are quite a few of them, something about them is just 'off' for me.

I come back now and then, but really, I just don't enjoy what it is. I need a combat system that is fluid and quick, not necessarily along the lines of TERA or GW2, but more like WoW, which is responsive. When you click the button, the attack goes off. A lot of times, it doesn't work that way in EQ2 and it drives me bananas.

• NavinJohnsonNavinJohnson Member Posts: 60

I played EQ2 on and off for years, and I really liked everything about it except the game engine.

The engine is terrible.

• coldandnumbcoldandnumb Member CommonPosts: 90

I played eq2 off and on for several years and there was a lot that I liked about it but the bad continued to outnumber it's good parts things like.....

A game engine meant to run on hardware configurations that never existed and that they have never been able to optimize for the hardware that we actually have.

A community that grew increasingly elitist I found most to be very unfriendly to new players or people they didn't already know personally where if you weren't already a friend of a friend you couldn't get into a decent guild and if you didn't already know all the encounters in a given dungeon you would never get taken along on a run.

The crafting was ridiculously grindy having to gather tons of materials and make tons of junk just to level your skills got very old for me after a while.

I don't know how things have changed since to ftp switch but I really have at this point no intention of returning. I am interested in EQN though I'll most likely give it a shot when it's released.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

Game enginer is crap. no LFG finder (now there is i guess).

Good game but sadly not openworld:) and that game engine make game play painfull.

• Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202

Player models are awful.  Conjurer pets are worse!

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

I can't find any sense of lore in a group with a goblin warrior and a human paladin.  Just silly stuff.

Secondly, no pvp servers any more.  Sadly, though, even if there were, they would be SOE pvp servers, meaning, the most effort they would put in is to allow two factions to duke it out in a leveling zone.  No siege, no castles, no trebuchets, no strategy, no imagination, no thanks.

Hope this helps.

• lafaiellafaiel Member UncommonPosts: 93

I played EQ2 from launch to the first expansion, Desert of Ro was it?  I actually really enjoyed it at launch, but in that first year I watched it get more and more changes I didn't like, It was my first MMO but I like the challenge, I liked the grouping and party play and it had a few really neat features back then that a lot of games still don't have today like player housing, guild housing and such, and that forge that could kill you while you were crafting  lol  >.>

They even  had that cool feature where you could replace the zone music with MP3's if you didn't like the music.  There is one memory that I would never lose from that game though, I never played another game with a better community than that game back then, even after moving for FFXI where I stayed for the next 7 years.

Loved Qeynos, loved running to freeport and taking that long trip for the fun of it, being chased by owlbears, seeing the sunrise of the plaints of antonica for the first time, it did leave me with a lot of great memories,  and getting my prismatic weapon after so many trials.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

My wife and I played for a good 18 months solid when it first launched. Then probably that again in smaller doses there after.

I like the game well enough, hated it for awhile actually, but went back... I guess a year or so ago and sorta just accepted it for what it was. 

To answer the question directly I'm not playing because I played a lot of it, and had more than a few bad customer rep experiences. 

a yo ho ho

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

Tried EQII recently, so here are mine:

Leveling speed is extremely fast. We have enough of those MMO's already... when some player told me: "You will level really fast!" and was all excited about it, the game kinda died for me. Not surprisingly, questing is screwed up along with it. It's back to WoW Cataclysm pacing of game and I hate that pacing. I prefer to take my time and explore the areas without everything becoming gray.

Map is open, ugly, and fully explored. It actually makes the game feel tiny.

The game has basically no atmosphere, or if it does, it's a really awkward one. It seems to be very giggly and chirpy and makes me feel like the game is treating me like a little kid or something. All the super exagerrated sounds for everything, clinking everywhere. NPC's praising me over and over when I didn't do anything and speaking, again, in a 10-year old manner. It doesn't help when the NPC you're speaking to is also a frog. It's just really hard to take the game seriously at all... or to immerse oneself in it.

To elaborate on questing, there are way too many quests and they also have too many parts. They are also indirectly dependent on each other and come out weird if you do not do them the way the game expects you to. Add leveling speed to that and you just have to skip them all together really soon, especially if you kill a lot of mobs, which I do.

Game seems to have unnacceptably poor animation work for the year 2013 (scratch that, 2003). It seems to not even have proper melee animations, either way, I can't tell if I am hitting something or not sometimes. What is this? O.O How do you make a game without proper melee animations?

Goes Windowed when I try to Alt-Tab. ???

The game makes Rift's error (or Rift made EQII's error, no idea) of spamming you with items you don't really know what to do with so early in the game. Case in point, housing items. I don't need a table at level 5. I seriously don't. Especially with such a tiny bank (another problem).

The game telling me to sub to silver or w/e every 5 minutes doesn't help.

"EQ2 exists today because it has 1000 diehard cash cows remaining, who enjoy cybering with their game boyfriends in their player houses in Kelethin too much to quit."

Really funny you say that because after playing for some while I crashed into a guild where this woman kept talking about her boyfriend who was also in a guild, and they kept talking about how they are so happy together and how it's so awesome... wat.

I found EQ1 more tolerable even with its horrible camera issues. And WoW Vanilla is leaps and bounds ahead.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by NagelRitter

Tried EQII recently, so here are mine:

Leveling speed is extremely fast. We have enough of those MMO's already... when some player told me: "You will level really fast!" and was all excited about it, the game kinda died for me. Not surprisingly, questing is screwed up along with it. It's back to WoW Cataclysm pacing of game and I hate that pacing. I prefer to take my time and explore the areas without everything becoming gray.

its a valid issue but EQ2 offers an innovative feature -- the AA slider

tailor your experience rate at whatever pace you like

unlike EQ2, I dont know of any mmo that offer this  (the experience slider)

DISCLAIMER:  you need to have a subscription to have access to the AA slider

---------------

it only takes a one time fee of $5.00 to be a silver member

if you are going to compare EQ2 to WOW

try subbing to EQ2   or compare ftp EQ2 to ftp WOW  (with its level 20 limit)

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I just remember playing EQ2 in beta and it was one server only and when one zone got over populated, they just cloned the zone. Each zone ended up having 6 clones in beta and when you clicked on a gate you just had to ask your friends what one they were in, really simple, much better than making friends down the line and finding out you're on different servers. 

So you started on the IoR and you had one of the most immersive opening tutorials ever, SOE have gotten rid of it now in favour and some generic bullshit but whatever. You got to the island and did quests that were designed to get you used to the mechanics and it worked really well. The starter island was quite hard and it even forced grouping for the last quest and every time thanx to everyone being on the same server, it was so easy to get groups. 

When I got to the main City I was blown away, it was really the first time other than SWG where I saw a major city in an MMO and these ones were way more detailed. I just remember taking all these quests, NPCs calling you to come over and having voice over dialogues in real time instead of the stupid cutscene style of SWTOR. I just loved going around the cities doing quests for NPCs, they felt so alive and they were so packed with people that each zone in the cities had 6 clones as well. I loved doing the quests around the Catacombs and the forest ruins and all that, it felt so immersive and hard because you had to group and you#d still wipe in a group too. 

Then you got to Antonica or Common Lands (which was far better) and it was all group mobs, I remember spending a good 2 weeks grinding non stop on solo mobs I found in CL in the early hours of the morning when noone else was online. I had to dodge so many group mobs and constantly I was pulling aggro and dying. During the times when lots of people were on I always had a group, we'd all sit and rest to regain mana and health and just chat because downtimes were quite long. I grouped all the way from around like level 13 I think it was when you started CL until the Armour quests at the Fallen Gate at around level 20. It took me weeks and I loved every moment of that experience and made lots of friends in the game.

Such an amazing grouping experience and the quests weren't the standard bullshit, lots of them were so unique and involved. I remember the Froglok quests as being something so amazing or Splitpaw where I got kidnapped by a random Gnoll lol, though those were a bit after launch, those are just some examples.

The Armour and unlock quests were amazing though, I loved the stuff around the Fallen Gate and Nek was so scary after and so horrible to wonder through, you had to have a group or you'd wipe. 

Now when I play the game it's easier than WoW, I can solo 10 mobs at a time, there's no death penalty, no tension, the quests are all so boring and there are no voice overs anymore. Like those voice overs were so immersive and gave the cities life, now it's just so dull and dead and all I hear is my own footsteps.

Remember when the game launched? They suddenly released 40+ servers and it spread the population out so much that it was really hard to get a group. What the hell happened SOE? Just release a few servers and clone the zones FFS! Instead of fixing the issue with a server merge, they just kept the same amount of servers and dumbed the game down so you could solo it instead of having to group. 

At least with Planetside 2 they merged those servers really fast.