Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ Is there a Classic server?

GrumiumGrumium Member UncommonPosts: 57

I have not played EQ since around the time that the 3rd explansion came out. I am thinking maybe Kunark?  I am actually dling it right now. Is there a classic server ? Also is there now a mini map like other MMO's? I hope not. Corpse runs kind of sucked but I want a challenging game again.

What all has changed? Can anyone post a link for me that tells the changes?

Comments

• TrappinTrappin Member UncommonPosts: 66

Start here  http://everquest.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=1&mid=117337801626907618

There are no dedicated classic servers.

Everything  has changed.

• GrumiumGrumium Member UncommonPosts: 57

Thanks, My children want to play with me. They are 10 and 12. What would be an easy class for them to start with? 

I used to play on ECI. I see they switched it to Tunare. I had a 49th lvl Shaman on ECI. I am going to make a new charcater to see how to play again I think. Then maybe later I can buff them with the Shaman and help them out while playing.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

I don't know how much the game has changed over time, but Cleric/Warrior/X is probably your best bet. Some friends of mine were a husband/wife duo and when one was working the other would play both characters to help level them that combo worked well for them (they were just Cleric/Warrior of course).

Oh and for the playability I'm probably haven't played recent enough to say, but probably any non-caster melee (rogue, warrior, monk) is ideal. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

All EQ1 servers contain all expansions, so in the original game - Kunark - Vellious - Luclin sense, there is no classic server.

And your old character should still be there, once you decipher the various server mergers.   Welcome back.

For your new characters, I'd suggest immediately finding the nearest POK stone, head up there and get a mercenary.   They make the game much easier, especially for new players.  And mercs don't cost anything for quite a few levels.   Enjoy!

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

theres kind of a classic server if you play on the mac

- the last expansion EQ mac had was Planes of Power

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?categories/everquest-for-the-macintosh.33/

http://www.eqmac.com/forums/index.php

Thanks guys. I have been trying to get used to the UI right now. It looks alot different then original. I was getting frustrated with putting my spells in the hotbar. It looks like I can only have I think 7 up at a time then I have to switch them up. I remember before they were just off the the left in half circles.
  • CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Nadia

theres kind of a classic server if you play on the mac

- the last expansion EQ mac had was Planes of Power

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?categories/everquest-for-the-macintosh.33/

http://www.eqmac.com/forums/index.php

Not restricted to the Mac either, if you have the Titanium Edition and are willing to jump through some hoops to make it work.

Al'Kabor is as classic as an official server gets: no maps, corpse runs starting at level 10, spell gems wiped on death, old-style zones for Freeport, Commonlands and Desert of Ro.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Grumium

Thanks, My children want to play with me. They are 10 and 12. What would be an easy class for them to start with? 

I used to play on ECI. I see they switched it to Tunare. I had a 49th lvl Shaman on ECI. I am going to make a new charcater to see how to play again I think. Then maybe later I can buff them with the Shaman and help them out while playing.

Unfortunately EQ and easy do not belong in the same sentence. Having said that, there are easier classes to play that don't require as much gear or aa's as others.

The easier classes are:

Shaman

Druid

Ranger

Necromancer

Shadow Knight

Beastlord

Mage

The harder classes are:

Warrior

Monk

Cleric

Rogue

WIzard

Enchanter

Paladin

Berserker

The Extremely hard classes are:

Bards

Enchanter (I put enchanter here too, because they can be rediculously hard to play if you don't know how they work)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by CasualMaker

Not restricted to the Mac either, if you have the Titanium Edition and are willing to jump through some hoops to make it work.

Al'Kabor is as classic as an official server gets: no maps, corpse runs starting at level 10, spell gems wiped on death, old-style zones for Freeport, Commonlands and Desert of Ro.

I may do this -- especially with the Al'Kabor being fully ftp and supported by SOE

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/EverQuest

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I recall something that happened years and years ago. I bound myself to the magi room but that sunken area where it was relatively safe. I was attacked when I was coming in and gated and managed to wipe out the group that was camping there. I owned up to it because reputation was everything those days and stayed and helped them get their bodies. Never made that mistake of dragging every mob and then some to me. Everquest in a lot of ways never suffered fools or  cowards who tried to run away from their mistakes. They can read the chat and see who was the one who dragged those mobs to them. I miss that accountability these days.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    There really in no easy route in EQ but I always found having pets around gives you 2 important benefits: free damage and extra tanks. At the very least they can tie up adds when things go south and buy you some time to get things sorted out.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

I was thinking about playing on one of the servers you all suggested, but I don't have the Titanium edition. I will have to see if I can get it on ebay or at a store somewhere.

Having fun for a little while, but it does not seem the same. It's almost like they discourage grouping now and want people to solo with the mercs now. Also, the weapons and armor are insane now.  I guess its actually that people want to solo so they had to incorporate something to help them out to keep subs up? I rememeber when a piece of armor with 2 stat upgrades was the berries. Now the armor and weapons have stat upgrades on all stats.

MMO's just do not feel the same any longer. I must just be getting old or something.

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

As per the original question: Mage is currently the EASIEST class to play.

Mage pets were buffed about 2years ago to bring them in-line with fully-geared end-game tanks/melee characters.

This means that a level 24 mage pet is equivalent to a lvl 30 fully geared Warrior/Rogue/Monk depending on the pets.

Earth: Warrior

Monk: Air

Water: Rogue

Fire: Wizard <===Most useless pet ever, especially late-game as their nukes take so long to cast, and can be resisted.

Most common group pet: Water

Most common solo pet: Earth

Air pet is best against caster-based mobs in any situation.

Cheers

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by BearKnight

Fire: Wizard <===Most useless pet ever, especially late-game as their nukes take so long to cast, and can be resisted.

LOL sounds like my wizard!

My youtube MMO gaming channel

Sure throw a little salt in the wound lol.
  • SoliloquySoliloquy Member CommonPosts: 128
    Guys, we don't discuss unofficial servers here. If you have a problem with that, take it up with Mike Bitton.
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Originally posted by Soliloquy
    Guys, we don't discuss unofficial servers here. If you have a problem with that, take it up with Mike Bitton.

yes there is a rule about talking about  unoffical servers which years ago i was in full support but i think its sort of out of date myself.

but yes this are the rule!