Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Cutthroat Politics Update Detailed by ArenaNet

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

We found out about the Evon Gnashblade and Ellen Kiel political match-up last week via some viral press teasers, but today ArenaNet is pulling back the curtain completely and detailing next week's big Guild Wars 2 update: Cutthroat Politics.  Read on for the complete press release and details.

In Cutthroat Politics, players will have the opportunity to support one of two candidates vying for a vacant seat on the Captain’s Council of Lion’s Arch. Ellen Kiel, a war hero, and Evon Gnashblade, a prominent merchant, both believe they have what it takes to sit on the powerful ruling council and strike a lucrative trade agreement with the merchants of the Zephyr Sanctum. But players will ultimately decide, using support tokens and coins to further the cause of their favorite candidate between July 23 and Aug. 5. Check out their individual ad campaigns at https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/.

The unique, player-driven outcome of this update will have a lasting impact on the Living World. Players will also experience other new events, rewards and features in the release, including:

New Events

• Southsun Survival: Armed with only a bow and whatever supplies they can scavenge, players will face off against each other in a battle to be the last one standing. Karma, coins and the chance to receive an exclusive Back Item also are at stake in this new competitive activity.

• Aspect Arena: Players can pick one of the Aspects of Lightning, Sun, or Wind and face off in teams to collect crystals in a new PvP activity. Each Aspect grants different skills with which to maneuver and fight.

• Candidate Trials: Players can test their battle skills alone or with a group in support of their chosen candidate by taking on waves of Aetherblade pirates. Support tokens and loot – even a rare chance at an Aetherized weapon – will be granted to those who can hold out.

New Rewards

• Exclusive Back Items: The Desert Rose and Zephyr Rucksack will be available as rare drops from the Southsun Survival and Aspect Arena activities, respectively.

• Mini Ellen Kiel and Mini Evon Gnashblade: By completing the Gnashblade Supporter and Kiel Supporter meta achievements, players will unlock miniature versions of the respective candidates.

New Features

• Catapult Mastery: Investing points in this new World vs. World ability line will increase damage done to walls, inflict extra damage against other siege weapons, increase the attack radius and unlock a new skill.

You can read up on more info about the update over at the official site, and check out the videos for Gnashblade and Kiel below.  

Vote for Kiel Video

Vote for Gnashblade Video

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    I'm Volkon, and this content is acceptable to me.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Threee more mini games plus YET MORE back pieces. How exciting! I guess I will need an extra 5-10 chars so I can use all those back pieces. 

The only thing I like about this update is the new mini pet! I think having such a short development window (2 weeks) will limit their ability to put in some more meaningful content. I am kinda sick of getting yet more mini games (especially if they are so excruciatingly boring like Sanctum Sprint or super unfair and RNG based like Belcher's Bluff) plus more achievement grinding and yet more back pieces. 

I hate it that we seem to get the same type of content over and over again. What's even worse is that all of it seems to be temporary content with very little to show for after the content patch period is over. I fail to see how this is any different to when MMOs like WoW used to churn dungeons and raids only all the time. At least dungeons/raids were fun lol. This is just stupid achievement grinding. IT's even worse than dailies!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• HikaruKanekoHikaruKaneko Member Posts: 2
    @fivoroth: The development time is actually 4 months, not 2 weeks.
    img.imageResizerActiveClass{cursor:nw-resize !important;outline:1px dashed black !important;} img.imageResizerChangedClass{z-index:300 !important;max-width:none !important;max-height:none !important;} img.imageResizerBoxClass{margin:auto; z-index:99999 !important; position:fixed; top:0; left:0; right:0; bottom:0; border:1px solid white; outline:1px solid black;}

img.imageResizerActiveClass{cursor:nw-resize !important;outline:1px dashed black !important;} img.imageResizerChangedClass{z-index:300 !important;max-width:none !important;max-height:none !important;} img.imageResizerBoxClass{margin:auto; z-index:99999 !important; position:fixed; top:0; left:0; right:0; bottom:0; border:1px solid white; outline:1px solid black;}img.imageResizerActiveClass{cursor:nw-resize !important;outline:1px dashed black !important;} img.imageResizerChangedClass{z-index:300 !important;max-width:none !important;max-height:none !important;} img.imageResizerBoxClass{margin:auto; z-index:99999 !important; position:fixed; top:0; left:0; right:0; bottom:0; border:1px solid white; outline:1px solid black;}img.imageResizerActiveClass{cursor:nw-resize !important;outline:1px dashed black !important;} img.imageResizerChangedClass{z-index:300 !important;max-width:none !important;max-height:none !important;} img.imageResizerBoxClass{margin:auto; z-index:99999 !important; position:fixed; top:0; left:0; right:0; bottom:0; border:1px solid white; outline:1px solid black;}
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

lol ya I don't think they could make anything in 2 weeks. I think the idea is they are way ahead as far as what is developed. Which is really cool compared to most MMOs where it's like "Oh we almost have it ready!" and you're waiting.

GW2 is just like "we have had that done for a while! Here you go!"

• johaocarljohaocarl Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by Tierless
    If it was an actual player election with controls and consaqences I would be a happy panda

I think panda is at other game...

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    If it was an actual player election with controls and consaqences I would be a happy panda

No recent game has that. It would be too hard to control, game wise. Only games like Tale in the Desert had it and that was more of a crafting game. So there was none of the other things going on.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by botrytis

No recent game has that. It would be too hard to control, game wise. Only games like Tale in the Desert had it and that was more of a crafting game. So there was none of the other things going on.

Age of Wushu has it. 

Players from each schools vote for their player leaders, after weekly tournaments. The school leaders decide who their school aligns with, and who the school goes to war with. Eight Treasures are at stake. It's an extremely important aspect of Wushu.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by bcbully

Age of Wushu has it. 

Players from each schools vote for their player leaders, after weekly tournaments. The school leaders decide who their school aligns with, and who the school goes to war with. Eight Treasures are at stake. 

Both TERA's system and AoW DO NOT really impact the NPC's and the game world. You don't see cities destroyed and see ruins and I thank that is what the person was talking about. 

Same can be said about WvWvW in GW2 - that does not make a living world.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Age of Wushu has it. 

Players from each schools vote for their player leaders, after weekly tournaments. The school leaders decide who their school aligns with, and who the school goes to war with. Eight Treasures are at stake. 

Both TERA's system and AoW DO NOT really impact the NPC's and the game world. You don't see cities destroyed and see ruins and I thank that is what the person was talking about. 

Same can be said about WvWvW in GW2 - that does not make a living world.

He didn't say anything like that.

Yeah though Wushu systems are all player run. They don't involve NPCs much. You do see guild keeps burining in the Wushu guild wars system. The keeps are bigger than Stormwind and if your guild controls two in a teritory, they are able to tax that area and institute martial law.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Threee more mini games plus YET MORE back pieces. How exciting! I guess I will need an extra 5-10 chars so I can use all those back pieces. 

The only thing I like about this update is the new mini pet! I think having such a short development window (2 weeks) will limit their ability to put in some more meaningful content. I am kinda sick of getting yet more mini games (especially if they are so excruciatingly boring like Sanctum Sprint or super unfair and RNG based like Belcher's Bluff) plus more achievement grinding and yet more back pieces. 

I hate it that we seem to get the same type of content over and over again. What's even worse is that all of it seems to be temporary content with very little to show for after the content patch period is over. I fail to see how this is any different to when MMOs like WoW used to churn dungeons and raids only all the time. At least dungeons/raids were fun lol. This is just stupid achievement grinding. IT's even worse than dailies!

Better get used to it, they're gonna churn it out ever 2 weeks! For great justice!

• DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I'm voting Evan!

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Better get used to it, they're gonna churn it out ever 2 weeks! For great justice!

I can see where this guy is coming from.

It does seem to be quite a bit of fluff but hey its fun and good fluff!

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Damarusofkt
    I'm voting Evan!

Me too. I'm interested in that abbadon fractal.

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by johaocarl

I think panda is at other game...

There's 4 teams, and each update is made by one team and worked on for several months for release. They will have much longer development time than two weeks, and Colin confirmed today that they are ramping up to much larger updates later this year.

• BleakmageBleakmage Member UncommonPosts: 186

"The unique, player-driven outcome of this update will have a lasting impact. . ."

I call B.S. on this. Wanna know why? Anybody familiar with a game called Asheron's Call back in the day, when there was a big event where the outcome was supposed to uniquely affect the game? Well, the problem with that was on all the servers save one, the adventurers who made it to the final boss fight lost. . .except on one server, where they were winning, so, instead of having the same content on all the servers save one, they decided to have a dev hop into the game and take over the boss, and well, to make a long story short, they had to cheat in order to defeat the adventurers so that they wouldn't have a diverging storyline on one of the servers, and ever since that day, no truly dynamic content (unless the game takes place on just one server or is a single-player game) exists.

Maybe ArenaNet will find some way to buck this trend of dynamic deception; it remains to be seen. That is all.

• BobRichmondBobRichmond Member UncommonPosts: 32
    I'm voting Evan!

Somewhat difficult choice for me. Much rather have Ellen's reduced waypoint costs over Evan's reduced Black Lion Chest key prices. On the other hand, in theory Evan's Abbadon fractal is more appealing than Ellen's reactor one. However since I DO use waypoints, do NOT buy keys, and do NOT run fractals think I'll go with Ellen.

Bob

• BobRichmondBobRichmond Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by Bleakmage

"The unique, player-driven outcome of this update will have a lasting impact. . ."

----

"I call B.S. on this....no truly dynamic content (unless the game takes place on just one server or is a single-player game) exists.

Maybe ArenaNet will find some way to buck this trend of dynamic deception; it remains to be seen."

----

From all I have read it seems the vote will be game wide instead of different votes from each world. If so, that means that the change will be the same on all worlds.

Bob

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I call B.S. on this. Wanna know why? Anybody familiar with a game called Asheron's Call back in the day, when there was a big event where the outcome was supposed to uniquely affect the game? Well, the problem with that was on all the servers save one, the adventurers who made it to the final boss fight lost. . .except on one server, where they were winning, so, instead of having the same content on all the servers save one, they decided to have a dev hop into the game and take over the boss, and well, to make a long story short, they had to cheat in order to defeat the adventurers so that they wouldn't have a diverging storyline on one of the servers, and ever since that day, no truly dynamic content (unless the game takes place on just one server or is a single-player game) exists.

Maybe ArenaNet will find some way to buck this trend of dynamic deception; it remains to be seen. That is all.

Good thing it is a general election so the outcome will be the same for every server.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Sorry I live to close to Chicago not to sell my vote's. Who ever offer's the most payment will in return receive my several vote's and I have several deceased relitives in Chicago cemetarys.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • keirionkeirion Member UncommonPosts: 51

1. It is game based, not server based and not even region based.

2. They've given very specific results of your choice, though the story based results are something we don't know.

3. The biggest 'content' result of the vote is the fractal dungeon piece. They have concepts for each but are not going to start building either until the vote is complete. This is why it will be released "by the end of the year" not in August.

• tiborbtiborb Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by HikaruKaneko
    @fivoroth: The development time is actually 4 months, not 2 weeks.
    img.imageResizerActiveClass{cursor:nw-resize !important;outline:1px dashed black !important;} img.imageResizerChangedClass{z-index:300 !important;max-width:none !important;max-height:none !important;} img.imageResizerBoxClass{margin:auto; z-index:99999 !important; position:fixed; top:0; left:0; right:0; bottom:0; border:1px solid white; outline:1px solid black;}

img.imageResizerActiveClass{cursor:nw-resize !important;outline:1px dashed black !important;} img.imageResizerChangedClass{z-index:300 !important;max-width:none !important;max-height:none !important;} img.imageResizerBoxClass{margin:auto; z-index:99999 !important; position:fixed; top:0; left:0; right:0; bottom:0; border:1px solid white; outline:1px solid black;} img.imageResizerActiveClass{cursor:nw-resize !important;outline:1px dashed black !important;} img.imageResizerChangedClass{z-index:300 !important;max-width:none !important;max-height:none !important;} img.imageResizerBoxClass{margin:auto; z-index:99999 !important; position:fixed; top:0; left:0; right:0; bottom:0; border:1px solid white; outline:1px solid black;} img.imageResizerActiveClass{cursor:nw-resize !important;outline:1px dashed black !important;} img.imageResizerChangedClass{z-index:300 !important;max-width:none !important;max-height:none !important;} img.imageResizerBoxClass{margin:auto; z-index:99999 !important; position:fixed; top:0; left:0; right:0; bottom:0; border:1px solid white; outline:1px solid black;}

Nope, is 2 months: 4 teams x 2 weeks each = 8 weeks = 2 months

• tiborbtiborb Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by BobRichmond
    I'm voting Evan!

Somewhat difficult choice for me. Much rather have Ellen's reduced waypoint costs over Evan's reduced Black Lion Chest key prices. On the other hand, in theory Evan's Abbadon fractal is more appealing than Ellen's reactor one. However since I DO use waypoints, do NOT buy keys, and do NOT run fractals think I'll go with Ellen.

The waypoint reduction will last only 4 weeks.... and Evon have Southsun Survival, that's way better then the Aspects Arena (the first is a hunger Royale remake, the other is a remake of Snowball Mayhem).

Go Evon!

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

Age of Wushu has it. 

Players from each schools vote for their player leaders, after weekly tournaments. The school leaders decide who their school aligns with, and who the school goes to war with. Eight Treasures are at stake. It's an extremely important aspect of Wushu.

Oh no you didnt... Age of Wushu is the most ridiculous Pay To Win game I've EVERY PLAYED IN MY LIFE! I hate that game with my guts because of the double currency they have trapped you...