Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runescape 3, anyone?

pmw4friendpmw4friend Member Posts: 63

Hi, so Runescape 3 came out today and i found it to be a great improvement and everything but i would like to you what you (people) think about it.

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK OF RS3?

Comments

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Originally posted by pmw4friend

Hi, so Runescape 3 came out today and i found it to be a great improvement and everything but i would like to you what you (people) think about it.

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK OF RS3?

It seemed to run rather slow on the desktop version.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

The winning facet here for me is the new interface. It goes pretty deep into customization. There are several layers of UI/Hud control that go into this and even presets/UI loadouts you can make for doing different things. It is very much in keeping with the over haul to the combat system. The new draw distances, dynamic shadows, lighting and atmosphere are really well done. but they are playing on old mostly old models and textures.

What I really want to see now; Is for the RuneScape team (to be distinguished from Jagex which is at this point just a parent company with many irons in the fire) to bring all the graphical aspects of the game in line with each other. I my opinion, they need to do massive updates to particles, models, textures, and animations to make it all mesh together well.

Because, as it stands, RuneScape is a game built over 15 years (if you include early incarnations like Devious MUD)...And it shows. There are NPC's, objects, textures, and particles that are inconsistent in their look. The voice acting in the game is only here and there. Some areas have complete re-vamps that are very recent. Others have looked basically the same for 5-7 years.

This is one of those things where they have adopted the ability to do more...now they just need to use it. Much like how the very first games for the last generation of consoles were not all that much better looking then the previous gen stuff. It took a while for developers to get comfortable and then, get brave with what they could do...Take a look at the course of development on the Xbox 360 and Compare games "Perfect Dark Zero" to "The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim" (or maybe more fairly given that Skyrim is multi-platform..."Halo 4") .

The move from Java to HTML5 is no doubt pivotal for RuneScape, and will most likely make the team once again browser based innovators once they get used to their new environment. But, I think this still needs a lot more time before what was done becomes really visible and truly worth showing off.

The new graphical ability also requires a fairly new and decent machine. The recommended specs on the site talk about it being advisable to have  as little as, 4gb RAM, ATI radeon 5000, and an i5core or better... the good news is that the Java version is live with the HTML5 version. And given the graphical control in the java version. pretty much any one should be able to play the game at a level of graphics fitting for their machine.

Overall I think... give it 6 months. Let's see where they take this and how things look when the dust settles. That isn't me saying "stay away". By all means come join in the fun. I have played this game since 01' and it's never got old for me. There really is something for every one in this game. And, with the new updates you really can play your way. I am also happy to help (I don't hook people up with every thing they want and need but my private chat is open if you get stuck on something, ign: Hal Cal).

• NoLifeNerd20NoLifeNerd20 Member Posts: 15
    I was a long time player of runescape (7 years) ithen they came out with eoc i was bummed but gave it a my benefit of doubt i will not be playing runescape 3 because to me it seems like they are trying to copy a lot of modern mmos the dnd pen and paper version they had in rs2 was fun after that I could never really enjoy it.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

with aall that customization im having trouble finding a way to increase the font size in my chat window.

any help appreciated.

...also, how do i get cowhide from the cows? im either missing something or there is loot stealing in this game.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Currently changing font size/type/style is not an actual option for the chat console. The new interface is not really designed to do that. It is concerned with the ordering and manipulation of the various panels, menus, and huds. Below is a page about the functionality of the new interface:

http://services.runescape.com/m=rswiki/en/New_Interface_System_Beta

There is a lot you can do with chat:

http://services.runescape.com/m=rswiki/en/Chat

Additionally (as that article doesn't talk about it, that I saw),  you can click the social icon (a small man and woman in green and orange robes, 4 from the right at bottom right of screen -by default-) to open the social interface. Once in the new menu that pops-up, if you click on "chat settings" tab you can change the color of chats coming from the various channels, and otherwise manage your social settings.

But, currently the only way to change the actual font size is to use full screen mode and change your game resolution. This will not change your desktop resolution. However, in order to keep it the way you set it, you will want RuneScape running in it's own window. Because, if you have tabs open within a window that is running full screen mode for RuneScape, and you switch tabs, it will pull you out of full screen mode in order to switch to another tab. The draw back is that changing resolution changes the scale of everything. But, if your vision is so poor, that you can't see the chat clearly, you might want to think about using a different resolution any way.

thanks for the info and the advice. you're probly right about my needing to change my resolution due to my eyesight.

can you recommend a preferred site for finding answers to noobish questions? like how to loot, how to stack loot, where to find larger bags, etc.

i ask about loot b/c it used to be just a  mouse click/select/and loot option. but i seem to be missing something this time around and im not sure what.

Runescapes Main Site has some information that can walk you through a lot of the basic things...there are also some authorized fan sites like runehq and tip.it and runescape wikia

...as for looting. they changed quite a bit with pvm which I will make you (for the large part) aware of below (I put in yellow the parts that pertain most to your questions):

- Most areas are now multi-combat by default (meaning in most areas you can attack multiple monsters, multiple monsters can attack you, and multiple players can attack the same monsters).

- Drops go to the first player that landed a hit (a which did damage, and didn't miss or reflect). This was mainly instituted for two reasons. To give lower levels new to a training area a chance at a level playing field with those who train their all the time. And, to combat botting.

- In most common areas and dungeons monsters are now non-aggressive. Which means most Monsters will not attack first, and only retaliate on a by instance of combat basis (as apposed to pulling agro on a whole mob for having attacked one). There are plenty of exceptions to this, But, those tend to come with areas where there are quest requirements to enter or that are significantly high level training areas, and within mini-games in which monsters are involved (like pest control).

- If you get the first hit (which will be clear by the monster retaliating against you instead of someone else who may have hit it as well), The drop should show to you upon the monsters death, as laying on the ground where the monster was when it died (in general after 60 seconds drops show to players other then the one who initially got the drop). you can first click rapidly to grab every thing in the pile, you can also right click and select what you wish to take from the drop from the drop down contextual menu which will appear next to your cursor.

Something tells me that your on a busy world in a training area that is pretty crowded, you may not be seing the drops because they are not your kills. This system has annoyed some, But, for the large part it has made it so areas are less crowded. If you feel someone is taking more then their fair share on spawns, ask them nicely to leave some for you (being polite and courteous as your first recourse in regards to training issues will get you a lot farther then angrily protesting and mouthing off).

If this does not appear to be the issue I would jump on the forums and see if any one can help you (be very specific). If no one can help there, contact support immediately through the website after logging into the website (once logged in at the top right you will see a panel that is all about you and the third option from the left says support...I would use the bug report option as if you not getting the first hit isn't the issue, it sounds like an account relevant bug).

Also, If you like my IGN is Hal Cal, you can add me and PM me and if I am not too busy I will come and see if we can't get your issue figured out.

lots of great info and thanks for the links!

i am probly just not getting the first hit in, i will be trying that particular quest mob (a cow :) again.

definitely appreciate the help.

if your picking up cow hides to sell at the grand exchange, you might want to think again. That used to be a great way to make a quick 150k for low levels (picking up 1000 cow hides). But, now the price has come down on them significantly and since there are a lot more options for crafting that have opened up they are not really used passed one daying getting into the crafting guild (you can run between the tannery and bank in al kahrid, tanning and stitching cowhides into gloves and later coifs to get to lvl 40 crafting - crafting guild requirement, fairly quick).

A better option for low level money making... ashes.

ashes used to be useless. but in recent years they have become food for high level demonic summons/pets as well as having taken on several more minor uses. 250-325 (depending on the market at the time) per ash is not an unusual price. you'll need to chop a lot of wood and burn a lot of logs. But, getting wood cutting and fire making skills up is never a bad idea. It means you can have a fire to cook food any where there is wood should you need it, and fires give you an HP bonus while they are lit as well. And building your woodcutting skill will mean at some point (sooner rather then later) you can chop the wood that is worth a lot on the GE (yew trees  - up to - magic trees).

logs up to about willow or maple are actually not worth as much as the ashes they produce. It's only when you get up to yews that it becomes not worth it. The runescape team also changed how firemaking works, now you can sit there and add logs to an existing fire for better exp (the more people tending a single fire the better). But, a whole stack of logs thrown into one fire produces 1 ash...which is why even with that update people elect to make fire lines about half the time still (lighting a few rows of fires in a neat grid). Behind drynor bank is a good spot to do this...the WC/FM skill set is always profitable from start to finish and better then just scavenging because you train up money making and dungeon stay duration extending skills.