Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PEOPLE HOW THINK THE GAME IS CRAP READ THIS

2»

Comments

• cromulentcromulent Member Posts: 20

If they eventually offer Evil races then I'm all for RvR. I can see Orcs and Elves fighting. I just cant see Hobbits massacring one another on a daily basis. Also I cant see why a Hobbit would want to.

I can understand your argument about Hobbits. Frodo does make specific references to no hobbit killing another (in the Shire), but faction hits should be enough to penalize kinslaying. Hobbit characters should and probably will be very dependant on the comforts of home and any faction hit taken from killing another hobbit should be HUGE. Big enough to discourage almost any rational Hobbit. One instance should be enough to make a character KOS to guards of his home area. A second instance should make the character KOS in all Hobbit towns. Remember, under the influence of the ring or not Smeagol DID murder Deagol, booth were Hobbit ancestors of ths Stoor variety. Of course I would not be opposed to limited PVP based on race. Orcs, half orcs,goblins, Trolls, Southrons and Easterlings on one team all able to kill eathother and members of the good team and Hobbits, Men, Dunedain, Dwarves, and Elves on the good team with limited PVP of eachother but full PVP rights against all evil races. It just seems like a really big blunder not to allow evil races to be player controlled to some extent. Some of the most fun dialoge in the books is between Orcs.

As far as non-Hobbit good races killing eachother there are plenty of instances of it in the books. Hell the Numenorians basically declared war on the Gods when they sailed against the Valar. I will play this game no matter what, just pointing out that at least they should have one PVP server to help get those ganker $$$$$ to help support serious role players like us::::28::

• DarktaniaDarktania Member Posts: 805

Originally posted by cromulent

If they eventually offer Evil races then I'm all for RvR. I can see Orcs and Elves fighting. I just cant see Hobbits massacring one another on a daily basis. Also I cant see why a Hobbit would want to.

I can understand your argument about Hobbits. Frodo does make specific references to no hobbit killing another (in the Shire), but faction hits should be enough to penalize kinslaying. Hobbit characters should and probably will be very dependant on the comforts of home and any faction hit taken from killing another hobbit should be HUGE. Big enough to discourage almost any rational Hobbit. One instance should be enough to make a character KOS to guards of his home area. A second instance should make the character KOS in all Hobbit towns. Remember, under the influence of the ring or not Smeagol DID murder Deagol, booth were Hobbit ancestors of ths Stoor variety. Of course I would not be opposed to limited PVP based on race. Orcs, half orcs,goblins, Trolls, Southrons and Easterlings on one team all able to kill eathother and members of the good team and Hobbits, Men, Dunedain, Dwarves, and Elves on the good team with limited PVP of eachother but full PVP rights against all evil races. It just seems like a really big blunder not to allow evil races to be player controlled to some extent. Some of the most fun dialoge in the books is between Orcs.

As far as non-Hobbit good races killing eachother there are plenty of instances of it in the books. Hell the Numenorians basically declared war on the Gods when they sailed against the Valar. I will play this game no matter what, just pointing out that at least they should have one PVP server to help get those ganker $$$$$ to help support serious role players like us::::28::

Well I admit you really know your Middle Earth! Impressive. image 

Thanks, there is still a lot for me to learn but I'm getting there. I have run an ongoing Middle Earth campaign (old school pencil, paper and dice) for the last 3 years using a mixture of the old MERP, Rolemaster Standard System and my own writings. My players are all very good roleplayers who know how to metagame and keep player knowledge from influencing them. It is set in the year TA. 2892, about 60 years before Bilbo finds the ring. I chose that time because 1st or 2nd age = no character living past 3rd level and because there is a little more of an adventurous unknown them to the time. Smaug still around, Sauron is in Mirkwood wreaking havok as the Necromancer and Dwarves and Elves are still pretty pissy with eachother amoung other things. Right now the group is headed off to the Sea of Rhun area and I will be using the MERP campaign settings. The war of the ring is still 120 years or so in the future so I thought I would lead them off into the far east that were really well developed by the MERP people in the 80's. You can link up to the map here: Middle Earth Map including far eastern lands As you can see they really did a good job developing the far east and of course as Im sure you know 2 of the 5 Istari or Wizards (The Blue Wizards Pallandro and Alatar)went into the east and were never heard of again in the official lore so why not create some big war in the east between the two wizards one controling massive armies, having gone the way of Saruman and the other retaining his good nature ala Galndalf. I'm a little more free in those areas to break away from the typical orc raiding party and such.

Originally posted by cromulent

Thanks, there is still a lot for me to learn but I'm getting there. I have run an ongoing Middle Earth campaign (old school pencil, paper and dice) for the last 3 years using a mixture of the old MERP, Rolemaster Standard System and my own writings. My players are all very good roleplayers who know how to metagame and keep player knowledge from influencing them. It is set in the year TA. 2892, about 60 years before Bilbo finds the ring. I chose that time because 1st or 2nd age = no character living past 3rd level and because there is a little more of an adventurous unknown them to the time. Smaug still around, Sauron is in Mirkwood wreaking havok as the Necromancer and Dwarves and Elves are still pretty pissy with eachother amoung other things. Right now the group is headed off to the Sea of Rhun area and I will be using the MERP campaign settings. The war of the ring is still 120 years or so in the future so I thought I would lead them off into the far east that were really well developed by the MERP people in the 80's. You can link up to the map here: Middle Earth Map including far eastern lands As you can see they really did a good job developing the far east and of course as Im sure you know 2 of the 5 Istari or Wizards (The Blue Wizards Pallandro and Alatar)went into the east and were never heard of again in the official lore so why not create some big war in the east between the two wizards one controling massive armies, having gone the way of Saruman and the other retaining his good nature ala Galndalf. I'm a little more free in those areas to break away from the typical orc raiding party and such.

Impressive scenario and campaign you have there. Thanks for sharing that brief overview. Looks like it'll turn out to be an amazing adventure for all. Consider yourself lucky to have a good circle of friends to rp with. Back around 1990 I used to play a Middle Earth roleplaying game by Iron Crown. I liked the combat system in this game so much better than the one in D&D because it left open the possibility of breaking bones and inflicting critical wounds instead of just reducing Hpts. As a matter of fact I had that same map that you had the link to. I remember a book with a blue cover came with the map. The photo below is what the rpg manual looked like.

It was a great manual because it covered everything you wanted to know about the different races and the sub-groups of each race.

Now if only I could find some serious rpgers around here.

[quote]Originally posted by Darktania

Now if only I could find some serious rpgers around here.[/b][/quote]

Im surprised to hear you say that. I understood Omaha to be a fairly good roleplaying town, is it the availability of players of their quality that is the problem? Kansas City is average for a midwest town. I've game with these guys for about 11 years with all of us taking turns GMing or playing but I usually GM since I prefer it and the guys seem to really like my campaigns. The probelm is finding guys at our age who will really play on a regular basis. I find that getting together every 2 weeks instead of weekly insures that the players are excited and ready to play come game time. Weekly sessions can sometimes feel more like work than fun.

That blue book that you remembered that came with the MERP rules and the map is a neat little pimer on cultures, races, languages another general information on how middle earth works. I don't use the rule book that you posted the picture of (thought I have 2 copies of it) because they are a watered down version of the Rolemaster standard rules which I do use. The magic system is a little high end for Middle Earth but I simply leave out spells or items which are unbalancing or dont fit the tone of Middle Earth.

concerning the map itself, are you saying you DONT have it any more??!!?!? Please tell me you didnt throw or just give it away!

Originally posted by Ponzini

Hobbits shouldnt be playable. It should be elves, humans, orcs, and uruks. Then they could have a good pvp and Light vs Dark type genre like the story had. To late to change it now tho.
    I really love LOTR and still might even play it but killing NPCs all day that move, attack, and do the same shit everytime u fight them just seems lame to me.
    I think the combat should have been real time combat also. :

Oh man I agree with you. I wish they would implement evil races then have an RvR system like in DAoC. God would that be awesome!! The Free races of Middle Earth battling the Dark races would be out of this world. If they ever do you can feel rest assured you'll have an Orc friend out there named "Igmo".

• paravionparavion Member Posts: 422

Originally posted by FotS

Ask me, no PvP is a bad thing.
    PvP allows a lot of things to happen:
    1) A dynamic game. If players are constantly fighting over territory/supremacy, it almost guarantees an ever changing environemnt
    2) A distraction from the grind
    3) A much more interesting battle, where you can't predict your opponents every move.
    If you look at games like CoH, the PvE becomes stale very fast. Even with AMAZING AI (I'm talking above HL2 AI here) the mobs can still become predictable, which is no fun.

I totally agree with you.  I believe PVP makes any mmorpg alive for a few more months. 
  • HadorakHadorak Member Posts: 25
    PLZ, not another game that feels like your in a neverending Disney movie :P
  • lilkanyonlilkanyon Member Posts: 65
    I think that those who are not hard core fans of JRR Tolkien should not even consider playing this game.  There are many others out there set in the same period of human evolution and technology that do not have the restraints placed on them that this game will.  Sure, you can play a cave-dwelling free goblin (not all were under Sauron's dominion) but without grouping, you'd be dead in a minute because they're weak solo.  The point of this game is not PVP and those looking for PVP, go look for PVP.  Stay away from this game.  It's not for you.  It doesn't give you the right to flame it just because it doesn't fit your tastes.  Grow up.
  • lilkanyonlilkanyon Member Posts: 65

Anyone who wants PvP in this game has no clue about Middle Earth or LOTRO. So stop your whining. Adding PvP to this game would be like adding Gnomes or Fireball chucking Wizards. None of these things fit into the enviroment. So do us all a favor and leave this game to the true Tolkien fans that will appreciate it for it's accuracy to Middle Earth lore. Go play your counterstrike or Diddy Kong racing.

• SlagggSlaggg Member Posts: 221
    Don't forget Britney Spear's Dance Dance Revolution, Dark! image

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me...Blow."--Ash, "Army of Darkness"

• EvilMinion85EvilMinion85 Member Posts: 27

im sorry if this offends some people, but to my conclusion there are two types of people writing in the LOTRO forum.

1st group- These people have actually read the books from LOTR to Book of Lost Tales, and have watched the movies as well. These people understand things that other ignorant people do not.

2nd group- These people have maybe read the Lord of The Rings, but haven't read anything else, and don't know a single thing about Middle-Earth and should not be arguing about issues like pvp.

All i read is the stupid pvp issue. PVP is the worst thing that can happen to LOTRO. I mean you don't want hobbits killing other hobbits in the middle of the shire...that is not what LOTR is all about. One thing i do suggest is maybe have an arena where people sign up and is hosted on a certain day and there are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes. Lotr is about the battle between the elves, men, dwarves and hobbits and orcs, and evil men.

• MMO_MunkMMO_Munk Member Posts: 299

"im sorry if this offends some people, but to my conclusion there are two types of people writing in the LOTRO forum.

1st group- These people have actually read the books from LOTR to Book of Lost Tales, and have watched the movies as well. These people understand things that other ignorant people do not.

2nd group- These people have maybe read the Lord of The Rings, but haven't read anything else, and don't know a single thing about Middle-Earth and should not be arguing about issues like pvp.

All i read is the stupid pvp issue. PVP is the worst thing that can happen to LOTRO. I mean you don't want hobbits killing other hobbits in the middle of the shire...that is not what LOTR is all about. One thing i do suggest is maybe have an arena where people sign up and is hosted on a certain day and there are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes. Lotr is about the battle between the elves, men, dwarves and hobbits and orcs, and evil men."

I agree with you completely. bout time someone out and said it.

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

Originally posted by paravion

1) A dynamic game. If players are constantly fighting over territory/supremacy, it almost guarantees an ever changing environemnt
    3) A much more interesting battle, where you can't predict your opponents every move.
    If you look at games like CoH, the PvE becomes stale very fast. Even with AMAZING AI (I'm talking above HL2 AI here) the mobs can still become predictable, which is no fun.

I totally agree with you.  I believe PVP makes any mmorpg alive for a few more months. 

This guy is spot on.  I've had alot of exp with MMORPGS and without PVP, your asking for trouble.  Why would anyone want to play an RPG online and pay money monthly when they can just play  a RPG (like neverwinter nights) at home withougt the monthly costs?  Just so you can group together to do quests? Hell you can do that in Nevewinter Nights too, without the monthly payment. 

The advantage of Online is interaction with people from all over the globe.  PVP promotes that interaction far greater than any other aspect. 

Look at SWG, once the PVP system went to crap , everyone bailed.  I had a crafter, did every freaking quest/mission and the only thing left was the imperial / rebel PVP to keep me going.  When they messed with that system and PVP fell out of favor, i cancelled.  And I mostly did PVE and crafting in SWG.  But PVP was the only real challenge left.  Now I know SWG didnt get rid of PVP , but not only do you need a PVP system, you need it to be somewhat viable.

• DemonAtsDemonAts Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by GungaDin

Originally posted by paravion

This guy is spot on.  I've had alot of exp with MMORPGS and without PVP, your asking for trouble.  Why would anyone want to play an RPG online and pay money monthly when they can just play  a RPG (like neverwinter nights) at home withougt the monthly costs?  Just so you can group together to do quests? Hell you can do that in Nevewinter Nights too, without the monthly payment. 

The advantage of Online is interaction with people from all over the globe.  PVP promotes that interaction far greater than any other aspect. 

Look at SWG, once the PVP system went to crap , everyone bailed.  I had a crafter, did every freaking quest/mission and the only thing left was the imperial / rebel PVP to keep me going.  When they messed with that system and PVP fell out of favor, i cancelled.  And I mostly did PVE and crafting in SWG.  But PVP was the only real challenge left.  Now I know SWG didnt get rid of PVP , but not only do you need a PVP system, you need it to be somewhat viable.

Like I have said before there is no option you can't make PVP work.
  • you can kill a elf whith a human and the battels are cool.
  • EvilMinion85EvilMinion85 Member Posts: 27

....what was that? "i can kill an elf with a human and the battels are cool". You are sad man...

Anyways, i shall say this another time PVP CAN"T WORK YOU IDIOTS.

• DaEm0nDaEm0n Member Posts: 520
    And i shall say this now, I've seen better times AND GAMES. (not insulting this game, this game looks cool) and i shall say this another time, WAFFLES!

This siggy is CGI that my cousin made in 4 hours.

• SlagggSlaggg Member Posts: 221
    There's a specific forum this type of pointless drivel, take it there please.

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me...Blow."--Ash, "Army of Darkness"

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I vote in favor of PvP in every game as it adds alot. It should always be optional so if a player doesn't want to be involved in PvP they can avoid it.

• DarkchronicDarkchronic Member Posts: 1,088

PvP won't work with LoTRO online, why do you people not get that? This game is aimed at people who know what Lord of the Rings is, and haven't just gone and seen the movies and gone 'omfg pwnd, i wanna gaemlolololololo0lololol' no PvP is a completely justufible course of action, the fact is, Elves do not kill Hobbits, Men (in general) do not kill Elves/Hobbits/Dwarves. and Dwarves do not kill Hobbits/Men/Elves (though Dwarves and Elves do not really get along.)

Having evil races playable would not work either, Uruk-Hai, Orcs and Goblins are all mindless creatures that only serve Sauron out of fear. Easterlings and Haradrim would possibly work, though coming from the far East it would be difficult.

Also, why in most of the posts in this thread are the spelling and grammar atrocious?

---------------------------------------
    No Userbar here, sorry to disappoint.

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514
    NO PVP = no reason to play.  You want a LOTR simulation without paying monthly fees? go play Battle for Middle Earth. Fun game, LOTR online is the same thing with monthly fees.  So far i'm not looking forward to this game or D&D online.  Neither has innovative gameplay, just basic quest and level.  Blah Blah Blah.  Sorry, i've already done that in about 5 other MMORPGS. Just because its Lord of the Rings doesnt make it good.  The gameplay has to back it.  Don't tell me PVP wont work or shouldnt be introduced.  Wasnt there wars and battles throughout Middle Earth? You just want to battle the predictable AI for years?  Boring !!
  • DarkchronicDarkchronic Member Posts: 1,088

Originally posted by GungaDin
    NO PVP = no reason to play. You want a LOTR simulation without paying monthly fees? go play Battle for Middle Earth. Fun game, LOTR online is the same thing with monthly fees. So far i'm not looking forward to this game or D&D online. Neither has innovative gameplay, just basic quest and level. Blah Blah Blah. Sorry, i've already done that in about 5 other MMORPGS. Just because its Lord of the Rings doesnt make it good. The gameplay has to back it. Don't tell me PVP wont work or shouldnt be introduced. Wasnt there wars and battles throughout Middle Earth? You just want to battle the predictable AI for years? Boring !!

There were only wars between good (Dwarves/Elves/Men) and evil (Orcs/Goblins/Easterlings/Haradrim)
    With evil races not being playable, that would leave wars between the good factions. Which DOESN'T happen in Tolkien's works, so PvP wouldn't work, however, I personally think a duelling system or something similar would be good. As has been said many times, LoTRO is being based off the books, not the films.

---------------------------------------
    No Userbar here, sorry to disappoint.

• strayhumanstrayhuman Member Posts: 8

I for one am glad to see a no PVP game. This game will probably lose some good potential players because of this. But on the up side, I bet most of the people that will not play because of this will not be missed. I admit that no pvp is a risky gamble financially. However, in the end I think it will give the game a chance to be a pve experience unlike any made previously, since they wont be wasting one second of time on PVP. Lets face it, there is a lot of compitition out there. For this game to work it has to do something no other game is doing. If they add PVP to it, this game will be no different then DAOC, WOW or any other faction based PVP game. If however they can manage to make PVE alot more compelling than it has been in other games, they might have a huge success on their hands.