Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth a shot?

NatjurNatjur Member UncommonPosts: 125

I have been playing Defiance and hanging out for the game Destiny and wondering if its worth giving Firefall a shot?

Defiance, Destiny and Firefall all seem the same 'type' of game and just wonder your views of the pros and cons of each.

From what I have been doing so far in FireFall, the 'world' seems small and very quickly it becomes grind. (but Defiance is the same) but its still only open beta. Is there anywhere I can find a list of things the dev team is going to add (like a promise list or development plan)

I do like

"No instance travel" (but have enough flight pads and drop jumps to make transport not too much of a hassle)

"Complex Crafting" (More then two crafting slots would be nice"

"Free to change class at any time" (no need for alts)

"Random invasions"

But the small map and very limited random quests does become very grindy fast

Comments

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187

I think the devs post hints and things about what they will add later in their videos on their twitch.tv channel.

I like the game, but you are right, the map is too small and very quickly it does become a bit of a grind doing the same things over and over again. I know its still in beta, but so far the game doesn't even have half the content other games start out with, and the devs don't seem to post updates very frequently as they spend a lot of time trying to work out the bugs the game has.

• codenekocodeneko Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by Natjur

"No instance travel" (but have enough flight pads and drop jumps to make transport not too much of a hassle)

There's a portal, instant travel, now for redbeans or $100... on a 10 minute cooldown.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by codeneko

There's a portal, instant travel, now for redbeans or $100... on a 10 minute cooldown.

The patch today fixed the transport bug and added that ark folder to the shop by itself for about $22. A bike is coming soon.

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by codeneko

The patch today fixed the transport bug and added that ark folder to the shop by itself for about $22. A bike is coming soon.

But the arc porter is way too much, especially since the only place it will take you is Copacabana. I could see if it went to all the other POIs, since the drop ships have a habit of disappearing, then maybe...but only Copa? Nah.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I have been playing Defiance and hanging out for the game Destiny and wondering if its worth giving Firefall a shot?

Defiance, Destiny and Firefall all seem the same 'type' of game and just wonder your views of the pros and cons of each.

From what I have been doing so far in FireFall, the 'world' seems small and very quickly it becomes grind. (but Defiance is the same) but its still only open beta. Is there anywhere I can find a list of things the dev team is going to add (like a promise list or development plan)

I do like

"No instance travel" (but have enough flight pads and drop jumps to make transport not too much of a hassle) I believe this is already in, why it's in I don't know

"Complex Crafting" (More then two crafting slots would be nice"  Actually it isn't very complex just very badly designed

"Free to change class at any time" (no need for alts)  A decent idea but i prefered it when there were actual classes in the game tbh

"Random invasions"  Fun for a while but get old quickly, especially if there's no-one else about

But the small map and very limited random quests does become very grindy fast  I think it's also a very large grind, much bigger than i've seen anywhere else.

I'd ignore any 'what we're planning on' stuff from red5 as they seem to themselves.  I suggest leave it for now and come back later and try again.

Have you tried warframe yet?  Could be a good addition to that list.

• r3dl4ncer3dl4nce Member UncommonPosts: 114

I play Defiance from the closed beta, I LOVE Defiance, I watched and loved the TV Show. Defiance and Firefall are very different, IMHO, unless you think they are similar because they are both third person shooter.

Actually I'm playing both Defiance and Firefall becauseone has things the other has not.

Defiance is a lot based on lore, storyline, quests even if it has interesting random events (arkfalls and emergencies). Arkfalls in Defiance can be like the tornado in Firefall, but Arkfalls are better. Emergencies in Defiance can be like the ARES mission in Firefall, but ARES mission are a lot more complex and difficult and with various objectives.

Firefall is a lot more "free" than Defiance, in Defiance you have a storyline to follow, completing storyline missions you unlock new side missions. In Firefall you are totally free, you can do thumping for resources, do ARES missions, defeat chosen teams, defend towers and outpost. Firefall is a lot more equipment dependent than Defiance, in Defiance you don't have to grind for equip, in Firefall you have to craft good gear and unlock new battleframes to try new weapon styles.

In Firefall you have the jumpjets, so you can move in 3 axis and have a lot more tactical decision to make, in Defiance you have only the usual jump.

Both are good MMOTPS and I'd say "play both"

• NatjurNatjur Member UncommonPosts: 125

So far neither Defiance or FireFall have me hooked but I am playing both (but not that much)

I will check out Warframe. Trying to find a new game that gets me hooked. But Defiance and FireFall have got parts that interest me, I am looking for more.

Anyone got other recommendations? Firefall new instance teleport makes their world feel even smaller. It needs to be double the size and more different random events to be a keeper for me