Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: Open Beta Gameplay Look

SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

Open Beta Look

Here we go again and this time with new toys. Open beta is here in yet another game. This time we are doing a storm look at Firefall. I've been in Firefall beta forever it has changed. Some for the good some for the worse. It went in the right direction this time. It's much easier to understand what is going on. And just what you need to do at any given time. Your voice in your head "Navi Like" helper keeps you in line. So most of the time your never at a loss on job objectives/quests.

Gun play has always been very good in Firefall. My one gripe is a Recon's gun can fire like a mile away and hit something. That's a little bit outside of my fantasy zone there. Nice for cheesing mobs, but poor on bullet physics.

Something I didn't notice until recently is this game has good music. Especially at the beginning of the game check it out sometime. Sounds effects with sounds have come a long nicely.

Graphics are nice at max settings. At lower settings the game looks a little PSone like. I mean thats fine if thats all the pc can take. But I was expecting a tad more out of low settings on this game.

Story wise things are spelled out about as clear as you can get. But after the dramatic start to the game. It seems to taper off into rag tag moments of trying to follow what the hell is happening. Some of it maybe cool but it seems maybe we need a third person narrative.

The game itself is sandboxy. Yes I know its not a word but in this case for this game it fits. Because the game isn't a all the way sandbox. It just has some elements of that said title. You do what you want when you want. Progress your character in the same manner when you want.

At the end of the day I sit in the middle on this. I want to spend hours on it but then, I'm like nah a few hours is enough. I think this game is suffering from a huge story identity crisis. And that is what is keeping me from being immersed hours. But if you like mindless violence and fun quests. Over and over until you are a OP killing machine "Still with no plot" You'll enjoy the upgrades and different class suits you can build up.

Comments

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Well done, this seems like a very fair review, especially since it is coming from someone who played before open beta. And you're completely right about the story. I have the basic jist of it that Accord is good, the Chosen bad, but that's really all I can tell you about it. Lore wise a lot seems to be missing so it is not very immersive for me either.
  • SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    Well they are supposed to be adding story elements. So we will see how that pans out. I like the game for what it is. But it really needs more direction when playing. I love the sandbox of it to death. But you seem to be drowning in that sand right now lol.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Silentstorm

Open Beta Look

Gun play has always been very good in Firefall. My one gripe is a Recon's gun can fire like a mile away and hit something. That's a little bit outside of my fantasy zone there. Nice for cheesing mobs, but poor on bullet physics.

Recon or nighthawk ? The nighthawks sniper rife has a max range of 250m then the bullet goes poof. A weapon like that in the real world ( 300 years in it's past :P ) can shoot a lot farther than 250m.

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    Hmm I've shot things a completely insane amount of range away. Like shooting things from Copa on the beach which extremely far away. Don't get me wrong it's funny as hell but you say wow when you hit them.