Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remember -- EQNext was awarded "Game of Show" twice.

Comments

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by Distopia

Please. Plenty of floppeed games have gotten the "Best of Show" crap. Best of show amounts to nothing more than "We have the best looking, specially rigged and strictly controlled demo that the real game will look nothing like at release".

None of that crap matters until the game is put out into the wild for people to play the real game.

HOw many get best of show without showing a single thing to the public? Not to mention can not be talked about...

How can they get Best of Show if they can't be talked about?

How did the game play?

"Um...can't tell you."

How big was the game?

Um...can't tell you."

Did you play the game or a carefully monitored demo?

"Um...can't tell you."

WHY did it get "Best of Show"?

"Um...can't tell you.But it's really good! Now excuse me, I need to deposit this check...".

yep you figured it out, they are all lying and it's just one huge ruse.  In 2 weeks we'll find out how it's all just the biggest sham ever....... /eyeroll

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by Distopia

Please. Plenty of floppeed games have gotten the "Best of Show" crap. Best of show amounts to nothing more than "We have the best looking, specially rigged and strictly controlled demo that the real game will look nothing like at release".

None of that crap matters until the game is put out into the wild for people to play the real game.

HOw many get best of show without showing a single thing to the public? Not to mention can not be talked about...

How can they get Best of Show if they can't be talked about?

How did the game play?

"Um...can't tell you."

How big was the game?

Um...can't tell you."

Did you play the game or a carefully monitored demo?

"Um...can't tell you."

WHY did it get "Best of Show"?

"Um...can't tell you.But it's really good! Now excuse me, I need to deposit this check...".

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by tkoreaper
    Game of show is just that... Game of the SHOW. Doesn't mean it's absolutely spectacular... You have to see what it's competition was. They simply won't not give out the reward if they feel nothing is worth it... They literally pick the best of the show. So keep that in mind.

In spite of what I just said I feel EQN will be great, but how much? We'll just have to see. Nothing will ever be perfect, but so long as it's enjoyable who cares?

Yet EQN was not even AT the show. EQN did not show up and won the prize?

I am still baffled by this non-award...

Actually it was at the show

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Lol, best of show? All that means is some reviewers got back stage passes and called it good, the same people who told us SWOTR was a gift from the gods. I'll hold judgement until I see some reviews that I trust, and if those peak my interest I'll try it myself and then pass final judgement. 
  • Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

I like how some of the people here act like, because it got best in show by 2 big sites, it MUST be at least something decent.

You do realize what is behind the site is ... yep, people like us. Just because they run a big site, what makes their opinion anymore greater then someone else? Because they played a lot of games? LOL we all have!

I will simply wait till they actually release information.

You also have to consider, what looks good on paper, may not work as intended. I love sandbox games just as much as the next person, however if it isn't done well, it's worse than a themepark. So even if what they saw and heard looks amazing, it could play entirely different then how it looks.

A game can easily get best in show, and not end up being the best game at release. I think people are thinking to much into it, and hyping it over such a simple matter. It's almost like some of you never been to a hyped movie with tons of great ratings and find out it sucks XD.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987

I like how some of the people here act like, because it got best in show by 2 big sites, it MUST be at least something decent.

You do realize what is behind the site is ... yep, people like us. Just because they run a big site, what makes their opinion anymore greater then someone else? Because they played a lot of games? LOL we all have!

Hmm, I don't think all of "us" have major websites where our opinions can hurt our credibility, affect our readership and, on some level, jeopardize our source of income.

Two of the biggest online mmo sites independently made a controversial decision to bestow its best in show award on an unshown game, something afaik thats unprecedented,  and people pretend its not a big deal.  Lawl.  TESO fans maybe?

• AceshighhhhAceshighhhh Member Posts: 185

Massively also got to see the game at E3:

"However, as many of you know, I actually got the goods in a special preview a couple of weeks back! So until I can talk about what I know, my speculation days are done..."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/20/tattered-notebook-speculations-last-stand-for-everquest-next/

Although they haven't mentioned anything else about the preview to my knowledge.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Margulis

Game of show is just that... Game of the SHOW. Doesn't mean it's absolutely spectacular... You have to see what it's competition was. They simply won't not give out the reward if they feel nothing is worth it... They literally pick the best of the show. So keep that in mind.In spite of what I just said I feel EQN will be great, but how much? We'll just have to see. Nothing will ever be perfect, but so long as it's enjoyable who cares?
    Yet EQN was not even AT the show. EQN did not show up and won the prize?I am still baffled by this non-award...
    Yes, behind closed doors with invite only attendance. What did they "show" about their game for the public to judge?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Originally posted by Margulis

Game of show is just that... Game of the SHOW. Doesn't mean it's absolutely spectacular... You have to see what it's competition was. They simply won't not give out the reward if they feel nothing is worth it... They literally pick the best of the show. So keep that in mind.

In spite of what I just said I feel EQN will be great, but how much? We'll just have to see. Nothing will ever be perfect, but so long as it's enjoyable who cares?

Yet EQN was not even AT the show. EQN did not show up and won the prize?

I am still baffled by this non-award...

Yes, behind closed doors with invite only attendance. What did they "show" about their game for the public to judge?

E3 is NOT for "Public" it's for Press and Games Industry. Period.

These "Public" ppl are just tolerated additions.

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

I stopped caring about any best of show stuff, and really review sites along time ago. My tastes and what I like tend to be different than what is deemed good nowadays. Add in that a majority of these review sites have a vested interest in not giving big games bad reviews or previews (when is the last time ANYONE saw a bad preview of any game?), and I've stopped caring what they say.

If you look at the list compiled of MMO's over the last few years, very few if any of them did anything spectacular or broke much of any new ground in the genre. I remember sites celebrating SWTOR as the next big thing...until it wasn't. Same thing goes for your next MMO flavor of the month.

Until the public gets to see what they have been working on, I take what most of these sites and industry experts say with a giant grain of salt. You need look no further than what certain game sites and magazines have been up to regarding how they handle reviews for large companies and games to see why they have lost all my faith.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Dullahan

Hmm, I don't think all of "us" have major websites where our opinions can hurt our credibility, affect our readership and, on some level, jeopardize our source of income.

Two of the biggest online mmo sites independently made a controversial decision to bestow its best in show award on an unshown game, something afaik thats unprecedented,  and people pretend its not a big deal.  Lawl.  TESO fans maybe?

How likely do you think it would hurt their cred? It's their opinion, it can't hurt their cred. That's just a stupid excuse. Again, they are people just like us who have their own opinions. Their opinions is not a reflection on the entire mmo community, no offence. You act like the community never disagreed with one of these big sites, which has happened before, and yet they are still here and doing fine.

Also, it's not about TESO, I feel the same way about it. I will judge it when it comes out. It's really that simple. I simply go by what "I" think, and not what some site says. You know, because I am able to make my own decisions and opinions about a game. Don't need someone else making them for me XD.

If you want your opinion swayed and decided by sites with out knowing anything at all, ok go for it. 

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    I could never accept a "Best of Show" or "Best at Show" that was only shown behind closed doors. Me, personally that would instantly disqualify it from even being considered.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

Considering some of the competition included a TES title, and no less than 3 or 4 highly anticipated sandbox titles (Archeage, black desert, The Repopulation, Wildstar, etc....)

It was no small amount of praise.

Just saying...

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

Originally posted by Roin
    I could never accept a "Best of Show" or "Best at Show" that was only shown behind closed doors. Me, personally that would instantly disqualify it from even being considered.

Why?  That's some weird logic.  The people who saw it behind closed doors got to see it for themselves.  They weren't taking someone's word on it.

They evaluated what they saw vs the other, public shown MMOs and made the choice they felt was best.  The fact that they got a screening to something others didn't should have zero bearing on what level of quality they thought the game was.

The picked the best from what they saw.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Looking at this list, it would seem 'Best of Show' is an award given to the games with the most interesting intentions, but somewhat independent of how well they manage to deliver on those.
    Originally posted by Dullahan

How likely do you think it would hurt their cred? It's their opinion, it can't hurt their cred. That's just a stupid excuse. Again, they are people just like us who have their own opinions. Their opinions is not a reflection on the entire mmo community, no offence. You act like the community never disagreed with one of these big sites, which has happened before, and yet they are still here and doing fine.

Also, it's not about TESO, I feel the same way about it. I will judge it when it comes out. It's really that simple. I simply go by what "I" think, and not what some site says. You know, because I am able to make my own decisions and opinions about a game. Don't need someone else making them for me XD.

If you want your opinion swayed and decided by sites with out knowing anything at all, ok go for it. 

Game journalists do have reputations to consider.  They are human, with their own opinions and tastes, but you try to be as professional and objective as possible.  When "players" or bad journalists give critiques or analysis on games, they tend to be selfish and subjective.  They don't talk about what the game has or the quality of the product.  They tend to talk about why they didn't like it.  Which is about as useful as having a guy who hates first person shooters tell you about what he thinks of Battlefield 4.

A respectable journalist and game industry professionals learn to evaluate games from a design standpoint.  What does the game bring to the table, what mechanics and systems have they improved on.  The polish of said systems and how well the interact with other systems.

If a journalist puts out an extremely misleading article, it hurts their fan base and in turn makes the site lose money.

So yes, it is important they give honest and accurate accounting of what they're reporting on.

No one should automatically like a game just because someone else said it was good.  But when (2) respectable journalists working for (2) respected sites give high praise, it does make me excited.  There is something there to back it up, that's for sure.  How much I personally end up enjoying the game will depend entirely on my personal tastes, though.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Vhayne
    So whatever worries we all have, hopefully it will still be a great game.  I have to many worries to count, and to many dreams for it to become a reality.  But rest assured that the game must be something special.  Either that, or these 2 sites will lose a lot of credibility.

Well....................

I like MMORPG.com for its Forums mainly.

Not so sure about the Journalist part of it.

Look how much they praised SWTOR and other MMO flops.

Sometimes I think MMORPG.com staff are a bit out of tune with its members, they seems not to understand what their base really expect from a MMO.

I hope this time their enthusiasm is genuine.

Originally posted by ste2000
    So whatever worries we all have, hopefully it will still be a great game.  I have to many worries to count, and to many dreams for it to become a reality.  But rest assured that the game must be something special.  Either that, or these 2 sites will lose a lot of credibility.

Well....................

Sometimes I think MMORPG.com staff are a bit out of tune with its members, they seems not to understand what their base really expect from a MMO.

There are like two or three million players active on swtor right now.

Hardly a flop by any standards, even if you don't personally like the game, and I have no doubt that their praise of the title was well earned and based on interesting and fun design innovations that SWTOR brought to the genre.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Gallus85

Why?  That's some weird logic.  The people who saw it behind closed doors got to see it for themselves.  They weren't taking someone's word on it.

They evaluated what they saw vs the other, public shown MMOs and made the choice they felt was best.  The fact that they got a screening to something others didn't should have zero bearing on what level of quality they thought the game was.

Hmm, would it be OK for a movie to win the Academy Award for best picture if it had never been released to the public? Probably not.

Game site reviewers seem more susceptible to the hype train than most, and these awards are frequent based more on what is promised vs the final delivery so are not good indicators of future market success.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well....................

Hardly a flop by any standards, even if you don't personally like the game, and I have no doubt that their praise of the title was well earned and based on interesting and fun design innovations that SWTOR brought to the genre.

OK, I'll cry BS on this figure, likely not even higher than 500k paying customers, freeloaders are irrelevant to the equation.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Hmm, would it be OK for a movie to win the Academy Award for best picture if it had never been released to the public? Probably not. Game site reviewers seem more susceptible to the hype train than most, and these awards are frequent based more on what is promised vs the final delivery so are not good indicators of future market success.

The awards they gave were specific to their site.  The only people who needed to see the game to rightfully award such praise are the people who work for and write articles for the sites.  The logic of "It's not fair, I didn't see it, so they shouldn't be able to judge it" is beyond comical.

Originally posted by Kyleran

Well....................

OK, I'll cry BS on this figure, likely not even higher than 500k paying customers, freeloaders are irrelevant to the equation.

Research how F2P works and why the freeloaders are a good thing and why F2P brings in more money than P2P.

I'll give you a hint, what I said was not BS and F2P works wonders for MMOs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXA559KNopI

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Well....................

The main problem I think is the way mmorpg.com has such a primitive review system. I think what they write and how they write is more or less very good in transmitting their thoughts and feelings on a game: Which is as valid as any review. But a review system should provide various consolidation to inform players and I think mmorpg.com does not provide that.

For eg:

1. aggregate review score (across the web)

2. break-down review scores (graphics, game controls, gameplay) with perhaps more analysis than what is currently done.

3. Context review scores in comparison to similar mmorpgs and within it's category

4. If you like x then you will like this variety of comparisons for different types of players.

As it stands an arbitrary industry positive score is usually the end conclusion: IE devs took 4-5yrs, spent 50-100m$ = if you pay X$ you'll see that.  image

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

C'mon now...........

The reason there are 3 million active accounts is because the game is Free, and only a tiny part of that are paying customers.

Also if the game was successful in the first place it would never had become F2P, let alone in just 6 months time.

By any standard SWTOR is a big flop, I predicted that 6 months before even playing Beta, while MMORPG.com were still supporting it even after launch, when it was already obvious to most players that the game was shallow and had a short longevity time span.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

You know, eventually, when you have succeeded in crushing the hope of every single person on the internet, human kind's demise will finally come into full swing.

Earth needs a reboot.  We fucked up.  So I don't necessarily disagree with your methods, but on the other hand a bit of compassion can go a long ways.

I said that with a straight face.  o/