Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Firefall: Review in Progress #1

Comments

• r3dl4ncer3dl4nce Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Razeekster

All there is, is crafting and barely any PvE gameplay. The other option is PvP but you need to spam the thumpers to get good gear for PvP... It gets boring fast to do the same thing over and over.

Oh, to say this you have done all the group ARES missions at all levels, the chosen incursions and watchtower defense & reclaim, the tornadoes and you have done the 5-man instance too, right? You have done all of this to say there is barely any PvE, right? Otherwise...

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    It's so boring. ><
  • GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115

I have been in the closed beta since March 2012 and did buy a Commander pack as soon as they were available. I have seen plenty of iterations of FireFall and I have to say I love how Red 5 interacts with the community. Almost all the changes made to FireFall is based on feedback from us in the community, and sure not all the changes are that great but it is a beta that just have opened the gates to the public and entered the next phase of open beta. 

I have to say that the direction that Red 5 is taking with FireFall is an interesting way to follow. You say that FireFall is a released product and that we should treat it like that. Well I am and I have done so all the time. The only thing that makes it OK is that Red 5 is having such a transparent development of FireFall and that I am active in the testing of various features that might or might not stay in the game. Because in the end it is we the players that decide what we like the best. Sure it is certain features that is not going to be changed because a majority of the community does not like it. Because there is core mechanics that they can't change that easily. But I am prepared for a total reset of certain parts of the game, it may happen and it may make some part of the community upset. It has happened in the past and I am sure it will happen in the future.

I am here to stay for a long time. I am a loyal FireFall fan and love the game so far. That might change I do not know only the future can tell.

Regards from Patsuriku

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824

"Let me begin this series of articles by stating the obvious: yes, we know that Firefall is still referring to itself as in the Open Beta Phase. Despite our admitting this, we’re sure there are plenty of people who won’t understand why we’re reviewing the game now. But here’s the long and short of it: Red 5’s freshman entry into the MMO space is both taking money, and no longer wiping progress for its players. For all intents and purposes: it’s live."

MMORPG.com is flying the flag here, we can't have MMO's making out the game is not launched when they are taking money for in game items while players are playing. Next thing, they will be calling the cash shop the gift shop!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by ShortyBible

Edit.

How is the game economy? Can anyone describe?

Are the best gear crafted or sold in Cash Shop?

Could a dedicated crafter enjoy this game and prosper?

Thanks

The cash shop doesn't sell weapons at all. The best weapons in the game right now are chosen rank 4 which is a drop or crafted rank 4 with is crafted. The crafted one is better over all.

Drops can come from anywhere, crafted items at that rank are pretty hard to make but worth the effort.

It's still beta despite it being called open beta, there are still lots of features missing. In time a dedicated crafter might be able to make a living just crafting, it's too early to tell. The crafting system has no skill levels it has research levels that take in game money to unlock ( cash can hurry it but can't start it)

So you'd have to play the game a fair bit to unlock things but I'm sure there will be a market for things people want but don't want to craft. It is sort of a unique crafting system in that it's designed for everyone to be able to do it, but it's not easy mode

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Silynse

THIS IS AN HONEST REVIEW BY A VETERAN PLAYER AND FOUNDER PACKAGE OWNER FOR A YEAR OF PLAYING NOW. (POINTS AT END ARE GIVEN ON SCALE OF 1-10; 10 being highest)

/snip

Thank you for your review.

It encouraged me to try this game. I don't like fps , but will give this a try.

Thanks.

Edit.

How is the game economy? Can anyone describe? non existent

Are the best gear crafted or sold in Cash Shop? gear is locked via frames and whilst technicall you can aquire them for free, realistically you'll be buying them.  After that it's crafted(essentially stat increases for what you have) and what you'll need to buy are the xp boosts.

Could a dedicated crafter enjoy this game and prosper?  Despite what the fanboys are saying grindfall isn't 'that game'(i'e. on handholding sandbox).  So it'll depend on what you mean by dedicated crafter.  If it's non combat role then no, an occasional combat role then also no.  If you a sort of solo role then no.  If you mean crafting stuff for yourself then yes.  Be warned it takes large amounts of resources to do anything in grindfall and you'll need a group to gather them.  It also isn't a complicated crafting system(as some have said) it's just badly implemented(but improving slowly).  Also chances are you'll need to buy extra crafting slots(you only get one free) and instant manufatures ontherwise this will be an incredibly slow process

Thanks

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

THIS IS AN HONEST REVIEW BY A VETERAN PLAYER AND FOUNDER PACKAGE OWNER FOR A YEAR OF PLAYING NOW. (POINTS AT END ARE GIVEN ON SCALE OF 1-10; 10 being highest)

I've had the most expensive founders pack on this game for a year now. I logged in to play and pvp last night...

Honestly I can say this game HAD promise. But I went from being excited to log in much as these reviewers are now, to absolutely being BORED OUT OF MY MIND playing this game after only 3 months after the founders pack was purchased. And if these reviewers had 3 months to play this before reviewing, the terminology of their reviews would be quite different I am sure.

First off the game is repetitive as heck. There is nothing original to do in the game after you've completed each kind of mission, and there's only about 11 kinds I would guess. Each mission asks you to complete a task, which is mundane and does not effect the world, because the same task will be available again, just in a different location in a few minutes.

The players are a friendly community, but they are all about themselves for the most part, not selfishly, just that there is no real reason to group up other than to gather resources from thumping.

Even mission objectives for AERES missions can be completed without forming a group, you just have to be in the vicinity, same with thumping for that matter.

The xp expenditure system for new abilities is overinflated and though new suits look cool sometimes, the abilities, (the best part) is exclusive to the suit in PVP, and interchangeable in PVE, which is confusing and completely takes away from the feeling of being a unique individual, especially in PVP. These upgrades are expensive and require hours and hours of grinding. Which this site degraded other games for, but seems ok with on this one for some reason.... (probably since Mark is a contributor)

The game is not very detailed graphically so after a couple of hours of playing, any humanoid enemies all begin to remind the player of Wolfenstien where there's 5 different kinds of enemy all wielding the same five weapons in the same manner. BORING. But wait! There's alien animal looking bugs attacking? Same 4 of them all the time. BORING. But wait, there's different animals in different zones? nope.... same animals, different colors... BORING.

There's no levels or level cap, GREAT, I can live with that, I love RPG's like the elder scroll series, and EVE online, so what is my drive to play? If a game does not use levels and achievements, then it should have a story or universe that envelops and pushes the player to further his character.  Red 5 didn't implement this... what they did was implement never ending BUSY WORK called AERES missions, in hopes that you'd spend money trying to buy suits of armor that don't even protect you any better as the game goes on, you are spending money and XP for aesthetics... Or even worse, they ask you to be wrapped up in a trying to get into a SHORT five man instance that, even to take part in getting to,  takes a group and a lot longer than needed to get to being able to enter it, with a storyline that frankly, the player could care less about, because they created a violent, destitute, and empty environment that leaves no reason for the player to be EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED to the land or its people. There is no hope, the invasion is never ending, and the melding never truly moves in or out really...  So really, who cares about saving anything other than their own skin?

This game HAD potential, as I stated first. HAD. But its old news now. There are much better products, with much better storyline, music, graphics, emersion, and the ability to make a player interested in furthering his character and grouping with players to accomplish GOALS. Red 5 needs to step back from the design table, and take a look at things besides PVP, and cell shading.

This game is something to pass time during 30 minute breaks between classes. Not a game that is worth investing months worth of time into. This is a stolen idea from PlanetSide, pasted together with cell shading styled, cartoon graphics, and the ideas from a disgruntled World Of Warcraft employee's revenge against leveled gaming.

There is nothing wrong with leveled OR unleveled gaming Red 5... the problem is that no company yet, least of all you, has done it right since WoW Vanilla, because every company thinks being called a WoW clone is bad. The mistakes of WoW were that it was too easy and gear dependent after Vanilla, period. Not that the leveling system was the problem. Different areas of fundamentals all together. And frankly, No company has had the balls to create a leveled or skill based game in the IMAGE OF GREAT RPG's. I haven't seen a game since, (for myself), WoW vanilla that actually engrossed me in any kind of story or world. You've taken the RPG concept, and trashed it to push FTP money into your accounts. Learn to immerse guys. IMMERSION.

Overall:

Graphics 6

Music 2

Gameplay 7

Difficulty 8

Originality 7

Immersion 2

Replay-ability 3

This.  Although i find that mostly the content seems to boil down to a)fighting the chosen mob or b)fighting the spider mob with the occasional tornado(which mostly spawns a spider mob) how those mobs spawn seems of little importance after a few goes round(let alone a few hundred) and that once you learn how to get across the map new brazil gets very small very fast.

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Eh Im worn out after the tutorial.....It was too long and threw too much at the user....By the time it was over I logged out and didnt feel like playing......Also why is the character so far to the left in third person view?...I didnt really fool with it alot but taht felt extremely wierd....

Everyone take note of this person.

This and another I have seen with similar mentality are people that are not good for beta testing.

If you don't have the patience, have ADD or something, to even get through a tutorial that only takes a few minutes (which BTW this patch yesterday catered to the ADD, give this person a star for trying, people, by auto-completing certain tasks if you don't do them in a certain amount of time or fail...how the hell can you fail the sprint challenge? /sigh /rolls eyes), then you are not cut out for beta testing.

For you ADD people out there like Theo, I assume you didn't even bother to open the game options window, select Gameplay, and look under the Visuals section for the 1st Person FOV Adjust, 3rd Person FOV Adjust, etc? You are of course aware there is a toggle for 1st and 3rd person, right? Of course you are since you took the time to look at the game instead of ...oh look over there!...something shiny!

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

The review was good for what it described, but it left out a lot of important information. It needed a description of the basic gameplay, like the shooting mechanics and what you're shooting at, how the NPCs act and react during combat, how combat feels, whether players have to pick factions or if everyone is on one team, how the PVP and PVE differs from each other, what's going on in the player hub areas, what's going on in the wilderness, what's grouping like or is it more of a solo game, and lots of other basic stuff like this.

It was well written for what it did describe, but after read this I still have little idea what the gameplay is like. That said, it did make me want to download and give it a try (which I'm doing now), so in that sense it was a success.

Originally posted by Jimmac

It was well written for what it did describe, but after read this I still have little idea what the gameplay is like. That said, it did make me want to download and give it a try (which I'm doing now), so in that sense it was a success.

It's a shooter. Aim and shoot enemies while avoiding bullets, they are bad.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

/snip

Thank you for your review.

It encouraged me to try this game. I don't like fps , but will give this a try.

Thanks.

Edit.

How is the game economy? Can anyone describe?

Are the best gear crafted or sold in Cash Shop?

Could a dedicated crafter enjoy this game and prosper?

Thanks

Someone slightly mentioned this earlier but Ill be more clear on it. You cant really be, as in many other games, purely a crafter as in just gathering resources, making stuff, and selling it.

Dont get me wrong, you can do those things, but it wont be JUST that. There is no typical "hitting a node" (ie: mining, chopping trees, etc) like in a typical MMO. Getting the resources to craft means yure going to be doing lots of fighting. The best way of gathering resources is "thumping", which is using their resource gathering tool, a thumper, to collect lots of resources. But its not a set it and forget it deal. Once you set your thumper down its going to draw lots of enemies to it and you have to protect against waves and waves of enemies. The stock )starter version) thumper is very easy and doesnt have many enemies and all of them are easy mobs, but also gets you a small amount of resources. Upgrading to a Personal Thumper 1 is a pretty big jump in difficulty as there will be way more mobs, a larger variety, and many tougher ones including 2 which could be considered mini-boss types. Upgrading to a Personal Thumper 2 gets even tougher, but again increases the amount of resources you get in the same amount of time. This continues up to a rank 4 thumper.

There are also Squad Thumpers of various ranks. The squad versions are even tougher, and obviously intended to be done in groups. With enough skill and a good enough frame you can manage hem solo sometimes, but doing it with a few other people to help you out makes it much easier.

Constantly running ares missions & other events like melding tornadoes also supply you with a decent amount of resources, sometimes more than thumping, but with the downside of not being able to focus on the particular resource you want to get. The rewards are pretty random, but plentiful in most cases. Eventually youll get all the resources you need by doing this stuff constantly, but it may not always e the particular resources you want to craft specific items.

Anyway the point is, as you can see, yes you can focus heavily on gathering resources and crafting, but to do so will also require lots of fighting. Being a crafter in this game is definitely not an anti-combat role.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660
    Originally posted by r3dl4nce

It's a shooter. Aim and shoot enemies while avoiding bullets, they are bad.

Shooters play and feel very different compared to one another. Look at Counter Strike 1.6 and Modern Warfare for example. On top of that this shooter is built on the concept of being an mmo which could add other variables and change things. I think my comment is fair.

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

The review was good for what it described, but it left out a lot of important information. It needed a description of the basic gameplay, like the shooting mechanics and what you're shooting at, how the NPCs act and react during combat, how combat feels, whether players have to pick factions or if everyone is on one team, how the PVP and PVE differs from each other, what's going on in the player hub areas, what's going on in the wilderness, what's grouping like or is it more of a solo game, and lots of other basic stuff like this.

Don't neglect the tutorial videos linked in the new players forum as well as recently put into the game via the web interface.

Don't make me break out the RTFM response :p

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I couldn't get into the game. I tried playing for about 6 hours or so and I just never clicked with the feel of it. I liked the open world and I liked that it wasn't a "quest hub to quest hub" type game, but that's about it for me. For the sake of the folks who are loving it, I hope that it continues to be everything they were hoping for. I can see the draw, just not for me I guess.

Best of luck to those enjoying it!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by itpaladin
    Eh Im worn out after the tutorial.....It was too long and threw too much at the user....By the time it was over I logged out and didnt feel like playing......Also why is the character so far to the left in third person view?...I didnt really fool with it alot but taht felt extremely wierd....

This and another I have seen with similar mentality are people that are not good for beta testing.

If you don't have the patience, have ADD or something, to even get through a tutorial that only takes a few minutes (which BTW this patch yesterday catered to the ADD, give this person a star for trying, people, by auto-completing certain tasks if you don't do them in a certain amount of time or fail...how the hell can you fail the sprint challenge? /sigh /rolls eyes), then you are not cut out for beta testing.

For you ADD people out there like Theo, I assume you didn't even bother to open the game options window, select Gameplay, and look under the Visuals section for the 1st Person FOV Adjust, 3rd Person FOV Adjust, etc? You are of course aware there is a toggle for 1st and 3rd person, right? Of course you are since you took the time to look at the game instead of ...oh look over there!...something shiny!

Whoa dude you totally nailed my personality!...you must be a professional psychologist......I've played in about 200 MMOs but Im not beta material?...The game totally sucks you know that...Theres a handful of hardcores with a boner for the game and Im guessing you're one of them.....This game will be shutdown by July 2014 and you know it.....

• ZephlosZephlos Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by itpaladin

Whoa dude you totally nailed my personality!...you must be a professional psychologist......I've played in about 200 MMOs but Im not beta material?...The game totally sucks you know that...Theres a handful of hardcores with a boner for the game and Im guessing you're one of them.....This game will be shutdown by July 2014 and you know it.....

1 this game is not beta, or if it is then R5 studios has to be the slowest dev in the world. (5 years almost 6 of beta.)

Now they release and still choose to hide behind the beta tag.( I find this to be a degrading trend in the industry)

R5 is also having $ difficulties with "The9" as they stated on their forums a while back.  Wonder if that has anything to do with this halfass release?

Finally as a professional mental health counselor I can say that passive aggressive, sarcastic comments like "right? Of course you are since you took the time to look at the game instead of ...oh look over there!...something shiny!" are disrespectful to those whom do suffer from learning disorders,  or are you one of those "cool kids" who can only feel good about yourself when your being as derogatory and offensive as possible?

Perhaps you should learn to deal with others in a more civilized manner before you decide that someones opinion makes them less of a person than you.

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    i find these shooting and jumping around games so tiresome and boring
  • DarkBykeDarkByke Member UncommonPosts: 6

Because seems like players nowadays can't figure things out for themselves... so you need longer tutorials and hand holding... like the players asked for.  Character too far left?  You get used to it, it's an action game.  Most action games are off center.  This isn't your standard MMO with character dead center.  You get to actually move around and kill stuff.  Don't like 3rd person? Try it in 1st! 

• DarkBykeDarkByke Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by rush1984
    i find these shooting and jumping around games so tiresome and boring

You should stick to classics like Pong then.

• zeuseasonzeuseason Member UncommonPosts: 69
    This game is a TON of fun.  I'm loving every minute of it.  Wait....except the durability aspect.  Not really digging how durability works.  But the rest of the game is super fun and I'm playing ALOT.
  • blohm86blohm86 Member Posts: 43
    This game makes me cry, nothing of interest. Stop hyping this game please, it hurts to see all the easy-lured players lurking about.
    Originally posted by blohm86
    This game makes me cry, nothing of interest. Stop hyping this game please, it hurts to see all the easy-lured players lurking about.

Everyone should be free to give his own opinion (yes, IMHO Firefall and Defiance are the actual 2 most fun MMO for me, all the rest are a lot of boredom)

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

I one of those so called old guys that played the early MMO games... I have been in and out fo Firefall since about July of 2012. It was amazing fun having access to big ass weapons, jump jets and could go almost anywhere. Sure the early crafting system was pretty basic, and there were alot of materials to thump for.

Ok ill just say this.. if you want to get anywhere in Firefall get it into your head youll be thumping so much youd make the mole jealous. If you want to craft anything youll need thumped materials, if you want to increase your armor abilities.. you guessed it you need to thump materials. Now I will say this.. they did add a sort of Auction hall to the game where players can post mats for sale that other players can buy.

But as far as the crafting system being deep? i dunno.. i find it more complicated than it needs to be with a damn near useless UI no tool tip information.. hell some of the items have names that are no indication of what the hell they are for.

Simply put its an over complicated currency/crafting system that takes the fun game play and gives a player another job. Farmer. Personally I got tired of that in wow and was one of the reasons i left the game.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• Tactician01Tactician01 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all

After playing game for a short while my thoughts
    Game is very similar to Golbal Agenda.
    Infact i found my self having to grind to get skills that you should start with like turrets for engineers.
    Pvp is broken
    U can be up against premades and wiped.
    Although you can simply camp in your spawn safe behind your shield.
    No penalty to simply stay in spawn and let timer run down.
    Tutorial was not clear and buggy had to relog to solve some issues.

Also when you review a game with commanders pak that is not the same experience as those of us playing game as a simple free to play. I would prefer a view from a free fo play point of view. Having uber kit, better skills and transport is going to give you a different review of the game.

Would i log in to still play, is it fun to keep me comming back? Not for me. Its similar to other games but not addictive and different enough to keep me coming back
    Back to ps2 for me.

Good luck to all who enjoy thegame and i look forward to the next review
    Originally posted by Tactician01
    Game is very similar to Golbal Agenda.
    Infact i found my self having to grind to get skills that you should start with like turrets for engineers.
    Pvp is broken
    If I'm not wrong, Global Agenda is mailny PvP, while Firefall is mainly PvE. Global Agenda, stil if I'm not wrong, is not open world, while Firefall it is.