Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA: SWTOR will have a userbase larger than WoW!

Frank Gibeau, EA games president has given us all notice.

http://www.vg247.com/2008/10/24/wow-is-the-target-with-the-old-republic-says-lucasarts-and-ea/

Both EA and LucasArts have confirmed to VG247 that the target for BioWare’s newly announced Star Wars: The Old Republic is to make an MMO with a larger userbase than World or Warcraft.

“We have very high expectations for this,” said EA Games president Frank Gibeau, speaking this week at LucasArts’ HQ in San Francisco.

“Just look at the base of Star Wars fans, plus what BioWare can do. Trust me: we want to win. EA’s reputation is for wanting to win.

“This is going to be a powerful category and there’s lots of ways to compete in this category. [Blizzard] created a much larger opportunity for everybody else, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to stay that way.”

LucasArts online boss Tom Nichols concurred, saying that the firm is banking on The Old Republic’s storytelling component to bust through WoW’s 11 million subs record.

“When World of Warcraft came out, everybody thought, ‘No, the market is only this big, because that’s as big as EverQuest was.’ Blizzard showed that it could be much larger,” he said.

“Our goal is to show that by bringing storytelling to the genre that we can attract an even wider audience. Plus, we have the benefit of this huge brand, which has done very, very well for nearly 30 years.”

When asked specifically if he believed the game will be bigger than World of Warcraft, Nichols said all the ingredients were in place.

“I think this game has that potential, with a premiere developer behind it; with a clear differentiating feature being story and something that’s very compelling, and being a feature that’s true to BioWare’s expertise as well as the Star Wars brand; plus the power of the Star Wars brand, which is still doing very, very well 30 years after it started,” he said.

“The opportunity is there for us to do that.”

Good enough for me, when does this game come out?  I've been waiting forever for a really good sci-fi game with free-roam 3D space combat!  Star Wars would only be gravy..

I CAN'T WAIT!!

Comments

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Yeah, that Frank Gibeau is going places, he clearly knows what he's talking about!
  • cgplayercgplayer Member Posts: 20
    So I take it your main account got banned for trolling so you decided to make a new one and do the same. GW2 made the same close to the same claim, go cry on their forums too.
  • BlumanBluman Member UncommonPosts: 7

Is this a troll post?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Thus why you shouldn't make claims when you are extremely drunk on stuff that someone with barely any experience can tell you won't happen. Even if WoW 2.0 came out, with its name to carry it I doubt it would struggle to hit the 3 million mark.

Personally though, it is funny to see something like that. I vote if it is real, the person clearly has no understanding of games and MMOs in particular, likely no understanding of the market, and most of all, is clearly insane. :)

• Marvel4evrMarvel4evr Member UncommonPosts: 9
    This game is already releqwased lol, and yes it sucks lol.
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Its a troll post. Kind of a lame one too.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    this OP post made me want to play Swtor again, then their garbage f2p model slapped my mind and i woke up. phew... what a nightmare.

• FruxyFruxy Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Thus why you shouldn't make claims when you are extremely drunk on stuff that someone with barely any experience can tell you won't happen. Even if WoW 2.0 came out, with its name to carry it I doubt it would struggle to hit the 3 million mark.

Personally though, it is funny to see something like that. I vote if it is real, the person clearly has no understanding of games and MMOs in particular, likely no understanding of the market, and most of all, is clearly insane. :)

I think it was clear from the article that there is another Star Wars game being developed, one that will kill WoW.

I am really looking forward to playing it.  RELEASE DATE PLEASE!!!

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

excellent troll,,nice to see someone putting so much love and effort into their hobby

i would give it a 7,5

but thats only my opinion

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Bluman

Is this a troll post?

That or he's really stupid.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Bluman

Is this a troll post?

That or he's really stupid.

Why not both?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Fruxy
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I think it was clear from the article that there is another Star Wars game being developed, one that will kill WoW.

I am really looking forward to playing it.  RELEASE DATE PLEASE!!!

that article was from 2008. That game came and went like a fart in the wind. And WoW didnt even notice it.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    This is called satire guys.
This discussion has been closed.