Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remember -- EQNext was awarded "Game of Show" twice.

VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632
So whatever worries we all have, hopefully it will still be a great game.  I have to many worries to count, and to many dreams for it to become a reality.  But rest assured that the game must be something special.  Either that, or these 2 sites will lose a lot of credibility.

Comments

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Please. Plenty of floppeed games have gotten the "Best of Show" crap. Best of show amounts to nothing more than "We have the best looking, specially rigged and strictly controlled demo that the real game will look nothing like at release".None of that crap matters until the game is put out into the wild for people to play the real game.

to be fair, we don't even know what they saw at E3, it could have been fully playable for all we know.

• DarkVergilDarkVergil Member Posts: 73

Please. Plenty of floppeed games have gotten the "Best of Show" crap. Best of show amounts to nothing more than "We have the best looking, specially rigged and strictly controlled demo that the real game will look nothing like at release".

None of that crap matters until the game is put out into the wild for people to play the real game.

The truth hurts.

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by Vhayne
    So whatever worries we all have, hopefully it will still be a great game.  I have to many worries to count, and to many dreams for it to become a reality.  But rest assured that the game must be something special.  Either that, or these 2 sites will lose a lot of credibility.

So cute that you still think "industry awards" mean anything.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Please. Plenty of floppeed games have gotten the "Best of Show" crap. Best of show amounts to nothing more than "We have the best looking, specially rigged and strictly controlled demo that the real game will look nothing like at release".

None of that crap matters until the game is put out into the wild for people to play the real game.

What games got "Best of Show" and were crap ?

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Stromm

So cute that you still think "industry awards" mean anything.

Yeah.  "Hello" to yet another repeat thread fawning about two people's opinions from E3; one of which (Bill) has a known glad-handing relationship with Dave Georgeson.  

There are a lot of people out there who will gladly allow others to make their decisions and form their opinions for them. 

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

These sites lose credibility on a regular basis. This very site fired a guy for giving SWTOR a low score.

• AZAlexAZAlex Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Grailer

Not saying all of these are crap; YMMV. This is for anyone wondering about previous years

mmorpg.com:

2012: Planetside 2

2011: Defiance

2010: (Guild Wars 2) Not sure on this one

2009: Global Agenda

---

2005: Hero's Journey

TTH:

2012: Neverwinter

2011: TERA

2010: Lego Universe

2009: SWTOR

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    But PS2 was great.
  • Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by AZAlex

Not saying all of these are crap; YMMV. This is for anyone wondering about previous years

mmorpg.com:

---

TTH:

Nice list, thanks for compiling.

Some great games on those lists.  Some may not have been the most amazing things ever, but a lot of the games on the list are quality products that at least tried a hand at innovating.

SWTOR's dialog system.

TERA's combat

Planetside 2 (simply amazing)

Defiance (great game)

GW2 (best MMORPG to come out in many years)

It's also not just the fact that EQN got best in show, it's what was said to go along with it, along with the design philosophy and tiny leaks about EQN that also speak a lot for the game.

EQN is going to be great.  Besides, if you don't like EQN, they're are tons of other really awesome sandbox MMORPGs on the market to enjoy.

Oh wait. lol.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

mmorpg.com:

---

TTH:

Ones in red are probaly the best games othat was released those years imo all the one in white i can be sure because i havant played it. Although havant played SWTOR but judging from what ive heared it didnt realy do to well but could be wrong.

Originally posted by sanshi44

mmorpg.com:

---

TTH:

Ones in red are probaly the best games othat was released those years imo all the one in white i can be sure because i havant played it. Although havant played SWTOR but judging from what ive heared it didnt realy do to well but could be wrong.

SWTOR made some good steps in terms of story telling and making the game more cinematic.  Huttball was also a lot of fun pvp wise lol.  However, the game in many other areas was more of the same (gear treadmill, lack of character gear customization, WoW-style linear themepark gameplay, uninteresting WoW-style combat system, etc).

It's F2P now with about 3 million players.  So it's not doing bad, and obviously offers something many people want, however, I doubt you'll find much love for it on a forum for a sandbox MMORPG/EQ game. lol.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• TyvolusTyvolus Member Posts: 190

Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Vhayne So whatever worries we all have, hopefully it will still be a great game.  I have to many worries to count, and to many dreams for it to become a reality.  But rest assured that the game must be something special.  Either that, or these 2 sites will lose a lot of credibility.
    These sites lose credibility on a regular basis. This very site fired a guy for giving SWTOR a low score.

how quick people forget that. this site was also bought and paid for by EA to promote SWTOR with pimped up reviews for that joke of an MMO. It was Bill I believe that was telling people he was up all night playing that game, and he even went on, he hadn't played an MMO that did that to him in a long time. it was comical to read. i feel bad for the people who wasted money on that game.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

pretty sure those sites also gave SW:tor best of show too, and while it had it points look where it is now

• wsmarwsmar Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Gallus85

mmorpg.com:

---

TTH:

Some great games on those lists.  Some may not have been the most amazing things ever, but a lot of the games on the list are quality products that at least tried a hand at innovating.

SWTOR's dialog system.

TERA's combat

Defiance (great game)

It's also not just the fact that EQN got best in show, it's what was said to go along with it, along with the design philosophy and tiny leaks about EQN that also speak a lot for the game.

EQN is going to be great.  Besides, if you don't like EQN, they're are tons of other really awesome sandbox MMORPGs on the market to enjoy.

Oh wait. lol.

Each game had some innovative features but in the end they all turned out to have glaring issues that ruined the games for most people. The developers for EQN didn't say anything more than "we are doing something completely different" and other statements to hype the game. How many times have we heard that before. Let's see... ah yes! All of them on that list. They barely did anything new besides 1 or 2 features. They all basically consisted of the same linear progression and a lot of unfulfilled promises.

Instead of getting my hopes up, I'm going to wait for this "ground breaking" information, and then decide for myself if it is really that "ground breaking". SOE is good about trying out new ideas and features, but I can't say that I enjoyed that many of their games. SWG was probably the only game I really enjoyed until they had to go and ruin it. Like I said though, no one can tell now what EQN will become. I hope it turns out to be a great game, but I've lost the optimism I once had when it comes to new mmos.

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298

I hope to see 2 things:

- Open world pvp, of course a pk system, if a player kills a neutral player(who is not at war with the first player) and this player doesn't fight back before dying, that player will become pk and can drop items if a pk hunter kills him.

- REAL GUILD wars, Guilds are free to make their own enemies, and fight over territories, politics, world resources, etc...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

HOw many get best of show without showing a single thing to the public? Not to mention can not be talked about...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by wsmar
    Originally posted by Gallus85

mmorpg.com:

---

TTH:

SWTOR's dialog system.

TERA's combat

Defiance (great game)

Oh wait. lol.

Each game had some innovative features but in the end they all turned out to have glaring issues that ruined the games for most people. The developers for EQN didn't say anything more than "we are doing something completely different" and other statements to hype the game. How many times have we heard that before. Let's see... ah yes! All of them on that list. They barely did anything new besides 1 or 2 features. They all basically consisted of the same linear progression and a lot of unfulfilled promises.

Instead of getting my hopes up, I'm going to wait for this "ground breaking" information, and then decide for myself if it is really that "ground breaking". SOE is good about trying out new ideas and features, but I can't say that I enjoyed that many of their games. SWG was probably the only game I really enjoyed until they had to go and ruin it. Like I said though, no one can tell now what EQN will become. I hope it turns out to be a great game, but I've lost the optimism I once had when it comes to new mmos.

"Most people" is a bit of an emotional stretch.

Maybe you just have a hard time liking a game for what it has, and instead dwell on what you want it to have.

Personally, I think lots/most all of games on the list were actually great games.  Planetside 2 is one of the best games I've ever played, actually, in all my 20+ or so years of gaming.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

Game of show is just that... Game of the SHOW. Doesn't mean it's absolutely spectacular... You have to see what it's competition was. They simply won't not give out the reward if they feel nothing is worth it... They literally pick the best of the show. So keep that in mind.

In spite of what I just said I feel EQN will be great, but how much? We'll just have to see. Nothing will ever be perfect, but so long as it's enjoyable who cares?

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498

FWIW, EQN didn't just win Best in Show, it was labeled "head and shoulders" above the competition and "hands down" the best game. 

It better at least show me something ArcheAge doesn't have, or these sites will lose all credibility in my eyes.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by baphamet

to be fair, we don't even know what they saw at E3, it could have been fully playable for all we know.

Also to be fair I can't think of another MMO that was awarded best in show when the development was supposed to be in a black box.  I don't know abut anyone else but having 2 prestigious MMO sites award best in show without any public information speaks volumes to what they were shown at E3.  Now It could be a train wreck which I doubt and it might even be a game that isn't suited to me but getting those awards in the way they did is rather inspiring and offers me a hopeful forecast come August 2nd.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by dandurin

FWIW, EQN didn't just win Best in Show, it was labeled "head and shoulders" above the competition and "hands down" the best game. 

It better at least show me something ArcheAge doesn't have, or these sites will lose all credibility in my eyes.

While i might not agree with your estimation of Archage, i do think however that your initial premise is correct, unless EQN shows us all something truly spectacular, or worse, just another mediocre nickle and dimer, then a number of reputations will be blackened beyond repair. At the moment things arent looking too good, so here is hoping that august will arrive and dispel fears about the game and what it entails, which will take some doing.  image

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    People can downplay and try to say it doesn't matter all they want, the reality is never have 2 sites as big in name as mmorpg.com and tentonhammer done something like they did with the E3 awards.  And if you honestly believe that means absolutely nothing and they would be that willing to trash their reputations you're seriously deluded, in denial, or determined to just be negative on the game no matter what.  And I would have more doubt or understanding if it was mmorpg and that's it (which I believe has the worse reputation of the 2), but it wasn't just this site.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by sanshi44

mmorpg.com:

---

TTH:

Those games were the best, or among the best released in those years.  Didn't care for any of them, but I can't think of anything I thought deserved it more.

Also, seldom do media outlets agree upon a single game shown publicly as the best in show.  EQ Next has gotten a lot of hype from those who've seen it, and was awarded best in show twice while shown privately.  

Any way you slice it, thats a good sign.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    SWTOR is a great game just don't expect to be playing it after you cap. Knowing how the endgame unfolds is virtually impossible in the manner games are presented in these game shows.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by tkoreaper
    Game of show is just that... Game of the SHOW. Doesn't mean it's absolutely spectacular... You have to see what it's competition was. They simply won't not give out the reward if they feel nothing is worth it... They literally pick the best of the show. So keep that in mind.In spite of what I just said I feel EQN will be great, but how much? We'll just have to see. Nothing will ever be perfect, but so long as it's enjoyable who cares?
    Yet EQN was not even AT the show. EQN did not show up and won the prize?

I am still baffled by this non-award...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR