Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how gank crazy is it?

VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

im used to playing some open world pvp games like lineage 2 age of wushu and eve.  can i pretty much expect if im out alone and come across somebody that ill be attacked? or randomly picked off by arrows by a far away sniper?

theres no consent or penalties for pk in this game, are there?

Comments

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa

im used to playing some open world pvp games like lineage 2 age of wushu and eve.  can i pretty much expect if im out alone and come across somebody that ill be attacked? or randomly picked off by arrows by a far away sniper?

no consent or penalties.  being solo can be rough. you wont ever be sniped from a mile away and die, combat is close range even with ranged attacks.

There are spots on the map that are VERY gank crazy, right now its some higher end mobs and areas near clan holdings, be aware of your surroundings and take note of pvp hot spots.

its a very sound based game, you will hear enemies coming via footsteps or mount thunder

get into a clan asap and you will have company, doesn't mean you wont find pvp just that farming some mobs can quickly turn into a battle...though most small groups will shy away from enemies with numbers.

its a player skill based game.  this means that if you are good, low prowress and weak gear will only be a minor hinderance, and you will be able to drop a player of any level in just about higher end gear.

thing is you wont be good as a noob, you need to get into a clan and practice by dueling friendlies and doing small scale pvp with friends.

but yeah if you are off on your own outside of a safe zone you are a target, if you are good at pvp you have to worry less and welcome it.  if you are not good, well don't take with you what you cant afford to lose.

gear is easy to get and cheap, youll lose lots via pve durability loss and though pvp...its a fact of the game that keeps the economy churning.

Just don't get pissed when you lose, youll have good days and bad days...eventually you learn when to expect pvp and prepare for it, and you soon learn when banking your stuff is a priority, even if you've only been out farming a short time.

but yeah getting in a clan is the key to fun in this game, unless you are insanely good at pvp and can drop groups of people, and few are that good, almost none that are new are that good.

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    I don't need 10 paragraphs to give you an answer.  Played since launch of DF1.  For every 1 player that doesn't try to kill you, there are 100 that will.  This game is kill or be killed, there is no reason to not try and kill someone.  There is no worthwhile reason to allow someone to live in this game.  There is no real alignment system.  Its pretty much Quake with swords and magic. But you lose all your shit when you die.
  • VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama
    I don't need 10 paragraphs to give you an answer.  Played since launch of DF1.  For every 1 player that doesn't try to kill you, there are 100 that will.  This game is kill or be killed, there is no reason to not try and kill someone.  There is no worthwhile reason to allow someone to live in this game.  There is no real alignment system.  Its pretty much Quake with swords and magic. But you lose all your shit when you die.

lol quake with swords :) right on. sounds promising, ty for the replies!

• ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 271

last two guys summed it up well.  There is no alignment system in this iteration so everyone is fair game.  That being said, the world is huge and if you go to non popular areas or get far enough outside safe zone (right outside safe zone is dangerous but if you get way out there its mostly empty) you can get a lot done and have fun.  Solo is very rough but there is an Auction house system now so you can easily buy your gear and sell mats that you can farm in safe zone, so that is nice for new/solo players.  But ya most fun is to be had in a good clan.  Game is shaping up nicely, last patch was very great for promoting pvp and such.

I highly recommend it to anyone remotely interested in this type of game.  Aventurine is still slow sometimes to communicate but they are actually patching regularly this time around.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Last night three of us were out roaming looking for pvp.  Found two people, one low prowess and the other high prowess. Anyways, we killed them then rezz'd them back up and started talking to them.  The one guy was trying to show this new guy the ropes.  Yes there are some ruthless people playing this game but most people I have come across are pretty nice.
  • LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    This Darkfall community is much more kind and cooperative than the previous. I have grouped with countless random people who are just trying to farm the same mob as me.
    Originally posted by Lustmord
    This Darkfall community is much more kind and cooperative than the previous. I have grouped with countless random people who are just trying to farm the same mob as me.

The old community was pretty noob friendly too.

This isn't some themepark where you have to be certified retarded not to know the games systems and mechanics.  Its kind of difficult for new players, everyone gets that.  Its why the most successful clans are the ones whos aim is to take in noobs and help them out.

im more inclined to give a new player gear then gank him, not everyone is like that but theres a lot of people that are.

Originally posted by Strangerous

The old community was pretty noob friendly too.

This isn't some themepark where you have to be certified retarded not to know the games systems and mechanics.  Its kind of difficult for new players, everyone gets that.  Its why the most successful clans are the ones whos aim is to take in noobs and help them out.

im more inclined to give a new player gear then gank him, not everyone is like that but theres a lot of people that are.

My experience with DFO was that I was KOS to everybody.

My experience with DFUW, I'm seeing a lot more people working together. Complete strangers meet at a mob spawn, and instead of attacking on sight, they group up to kill mobs together.

That's just my experience, but your mileage may vary.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Last night three of us were out roaming looking for pvp.  Found two people, one low prowess and the other high prowess. Anyways, we killed them then rezz'd them back up and started talking to them.  The one guy was trying to show this new guy the ropes.  Yes there are some ruthless people playing this game but most people I have come across are pretty nice.

You are NEVER the types I run into. Only once have I been rezzed. The most common is to be killed by 50K+ PP with my 20K.

Meh that is how it is I guess.

Originally posted by Four0Six

You are NEVER the types I run into. Only once have I been rezzed. The most common is to be killed by 50K+ PP with my 20K.

lol during the first month, at some point I found myself stranded without a mount and I was traveling back to the safe zone from Yssam. I came across these 2 guys on mounts with 2k prowess or so, and I had maybe 15k at the time.

They saw me and started running, so I virtuous wrathed one off his mount while his buddy kept going.

I tossed the guy a rez, hopped on his mount, and continued my trek back to town. 

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360

The first 2 poster are over exaggerating.

30% of the time, I don't gank or get ganked. 

Many time player come to us and kneel and we accept them to party. 

Granted each day it is different.  

No you will not just get killed as soon as you step out.  You can't  kill someone 50 miles away.  It is all situational. 

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

in my travels outside safezones i've actually been offered a spot in a party more often than i've been attacked.  also i was surprised when i stumbled across a chaos bank in the middle of no where and there were folks just sitting down near it not bothering anyone.  i sat down and shot the breeze wit them for a while after i banked.

i have also been lolganked but like i said not as often as i would have thought

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

What class do you play? 10-20k more prowess and you should be viable to fight anyone 1v1

Originally posted by itchmon

in my travels outside safezones i've actually been offered a spot in a party more often than i've been attacked.  also i was surprised when i stumbled across a chaos bank in the middle of no where and there were folks just sitting down near it not bothering anyone.  i sat down and shot the breeze wit them for a while after i banked.

Yeah typically its your clan tag that dictates your level of gankability.  While I recommend joint a clan ASAP be sure you know who to look out for.

A noob under 10k prowress with no clan tag isn't really a threat to anyone, everyone figures you are some kinda noob.

Once you reach 20k you are pretty much able to defend against anyone of any prowress level *if* you have good player skill. Again player skill is by far the largest determining factor in who wins and who loses.  Stat and gear gains are fractional.  For instance, maxing weapon mastery is 3 points of damage for that weapon type.  Upgrading from r30 to r60 weapons offer about 6 damage increase.

In all you can expect those number to add up a lot if no one is missing shots, which is rarely the case, and you have to factor in stat management, great players are fantastic an stat management (when to heal self, stamina xfer, drink a potion ect)

So if you think about an arrow that might do 35 damage vs someone shooting an arrow with way less prowress and lower gear hitting you back for 29 damage...that's not a huge difference.  You miss one more shot than he does (all else remaining equal) and your gear advantage is gone.

But again, low prowress, no clan tag...most wont see a reason to kill...I mean what possibly of value could you have? maybe a small map? a few hundred gold? Your not in a clan so theres no "screw these guys they blew our gate up yesterday" type mentality or history behind it.   Not all are like this, but a lot are.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by VooDoo_Papa

I've never played any pvp mmo where ganking was not the order of the day, a pre-made gank group is always fun.

Yeah typically its your clan tag that dictates your level of gankability.  While I recommend joint a clan ASAP be sure you know who to look out for.

A noob under 10k prowress with no clan tag isn't really a threat to anyone, everyone figures you are some kinda noob.

Once you reach 20k you are pretty much able to defend against anyone of any prowress level *if* you have good player skill. Again player skill is by far the largest determining factor in who wins and who loses.  Stat and gear gains are fractional.  For instance, maxing weapon mastery is 3 points of damage for that weapon type.  Upgrading from r30 to r60 weapons offer about 6 damage increase.

In all you can expect those number to add up a lot if no one is missing shots, which is rarely the case, and you have to factor in stat management, great players are fantastic an stat management (when to heal self, stamina xfer, drink a potion ect)

So if you think about an arrow that might do 35 damage vs someone shooting an arrow with way less prowress and lower gear hitting you back for 29 damage...that's not a huge difference.  You miss one more shot than he does (all else remaining equal) and your gear advantage is gone.

But again, low prowress, no clan tag...most wont see a reason to kill...I mean what possibly of value could you have? maybe a small map? a few hundred gold? Your not in a clan so theres no "screw these guys they blew our gate up yesterday" type mentality or history behind it.   Not all are like this, but a lot are.

Well, yes and no.

20k is enough to defend yourself, absolutely. I've been wtfpwned by elementalists with 15k prow before.

But the difference between a 20k and a 50k prowess is still substantial. That extra 30k prowess will equal about 60 more stats overall,whether that be health, mana, or stamina. And like you said, with weapon masteries, and the likelyhood that they are better geared- 9 points of damage more per hit. With higher dex and more weapon skills, you'll be hitting not only harder, but faster.

A skilled player with low prowess can still be a threat, and that's what makes this game so great- but it's still an RPG.

Well, yes and no.

20k is enough to defend yourself, absolutely. I've been wtfpwned by elementalists with 15k prow before.

But the difference between a 20k and a 50k prowess is still substantial. That extra 30k prowess will equal about 60 more stats overall,whether that be health, mana, or stamina. And like you said, with weapon masteries, and the likelyhood that they are better geared- 9 points of damage more per hit. With higher dex and more weapon skills, you'll be hitting not only harder, but faster.

A skilled player with low prowess can still be a threat, and that's what makes this game so great- but it's still an RPG.

no amount of gear or prowress can make up for many missed shots, poor stat management, and inability to correctly parry.

well perhaps dragonscale that shit is crazy, luckily its far too expensive for most situations.

gear and progression give you an edge, that is for sure, but wont make up for poor player skill

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Back in DF1 days I did a transfer to the EU server for skillin' and got surprised on more than one occasion.  I would be out running around solo and get rolled up on by a clan of players.  If I didn't over react it often ended up as a one on one that if I won I could walk away from.  Floored me every time ..... live or die.  Gotta respect that.

Never on NA, old or new, have I seen anything remotely close to this.  10 guys roll up on me ...... I'm fighting 10 guys.

Strange .....

~Hairysun

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Greymoor

What class do you play? 10-20k more prowess and you should be viable to fight anyone 1v1

I'm an Ele in crap gear, just Fine Robes. Mostly I can be downed in 3 or less shots.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

Very much like DayZ it is you and your guild against the rest of the world.

You can also ally other guilds and thats about it