Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If (and when) SWTOR fails, can Obsidian make a good Star Wars game?

13»

Comments

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Originally posted by simplius

so..swg loses 300-400k players= failure

swtor loses 1.5 mio players= no failure

i hope one of your teachers see this

SWG went from 600k - 30k from every server being an active server to every server being dead.

swtor went from 2 Mill - 500k - 1.25 Mill from 16 servers - 8 servers and still every server that is active has people playing it.

SWG never recovered from the release of the NGE. When SWTOR went F2P it did recover. So it is not dead. I have to give you props for trying and failing. Could SWG recovered if it went F2P? No. The NGE completely ruined the game. The reason SWTOR lost players at the beginning is the same reason most MMO's loses players content did not come out fast enough.

i know its not dead yet,,but recovered is too strong,,lets say they survived

but they did that with  a much bigger starter budget, and by reducing the Price to ZERO

if you think , thats a sustainable Price with the star wars name on it...

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by hyllstarter
    Disney will make any new Star Wars game around there new movie series. They will probably also use any company the own or own stock in.

This.

Expect a flurry of random spinoff games once the marketing starts for Episode VII.

I don't think we'll see any MMOs - but a ton of single player crap that is basically reskinned from other existing games (like nearly every single movie-based game is), and a lot of cheap mobile games (Where's my Water-type).

MMO? Not likely. The best hope you have now is a S/E-type partnership for a decent game (ala Kingdom Hearts). Disney does have a MMO (Toontown?) - I've never tried it out though, and since it's pretty obscure, I'd say it's probably not left a big impression on the industry.

As far as the license staying with EA -- if your Disney, and your in the process of laying off your own video game studios (Junction Point Studios)... why not leave it with one of the largest publishers in the industry who just published a major title based on the IP? After all, they are a publicly traded company - they aren't after good games, they are after profit margin.

sadly , yes, and that margin comes from the power of the name

but once that power has been sucked out by too many bad games? wheres the profit then?

and even worse: what will happen to the star wars IP?

a brand product is required to have a certain quality, if it doesnt, then the name loses its value

star wars is still the biggest scifi IP.. but for how long?

see, what they did to save the FF mmo,,does star wars deserve less?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

MMO? Not likely. The best hope you have now is a S/E-type partnership for a decent game (ala Kingdom Hearts). Disney does have a MMO (Toontown?) - I've never tried it out though, and since it's pretty obscure, I'd say it's probably not left a big impression on the industry.

Yes, Square Enix wants Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts, it is up to Disney if they allow it

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ArticleView?articleId=235768&storeId=10151

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by galphar
    I hope a new SW MMO can happen after the new trilogy comes out from Disney. The only thing that would keep an updated SW Universe MMO from happening would be a fail by Disney.

Justin Bieber as the son of Luke Skywalker? no thanks.

I just stick true to the original trilogy and leave it at that. :P

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by galphar
    I hope a new SW MMO can happen after the new trilogy comes out from Disney. The only thing that would keep an updated SW Universe MMO from happening would be a fail by Disney.

Justin Bieber as the son of Luke Skywalker? no thanks.

I just stick true to the original trilogy and leave it at that. :P

your choice,,have fun watching the same movies , over , and over

i love the original trilogy, i have prolly watched a new hope over 300 times, but the prequels arent bad either

theyre just not as good , as the originals IMO

its hard to take over after a legend,,ask julian lennon

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I just want to see a good Star Wars game. Sort of a cross between Xwing v Tie Fighter and Knights of the Old Republic but in a more modern game,  single player, multi player or MMO.