Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

enjoy the next two weeks for all its worth.

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

As I have said before, OP:  It's like this every time a game gets announced.  Get over it now, or find a new place to hang out.  

I don't blame people for being excited.  I've been there before, but after years and years of this, I have learned to at least wait until the game is announced and there is some information to look at.

I'll tell you all a (not so) secret about evaluating MMO games before they are released, but after the official marketing push starts.  Listen to what the game developer IS NOT saying about the game.  This is how many of us know SWTOR (and many other games) were going to suck before they were even close to release. 

For example, Bioware barely said a word about space gameplay, or crafting, or PvP, or social features all the way up until the game released.  All you heard was "Story, Story, Story", and so the writing was on the wall.  I glance over the information they put out there, then I start asking questions and pay attention to the stuff they dance around.

Pretty-much common sense. But it's so true. Play up the strengths. Defer from the weaknesses.

I wish I could remember where I read this but before SWTOR released, one of the people from BW was being interviewed and was asked about a question about features from SWG. And the response was something along the lines of "And look where they are now"  Not a valid answer. Poetic justice I guess. But yeah, when they start avoiding direct questions. There is a red flag.

You would think it's common sense, but a lot of people have trouble taking note when a game developer is dancing around particular issues.  I see a lot of people on these forums making statements like "It's only beta, I'm sure they will turn Y features on at launch" or "they are probably keeping it secret until launch", etc.

SWG:  yes, look where they were.  How many years was the game online?  It might not have been the biggest game in the world, but it had a core of followers.  Would have had more if they didn't NGE it.  A lot of people who ignored the game in its last few years didn't know the devs were starting to put pre-NGE features back into the game, because so many people were asking for them back.

This is another reason I hold out some unusual hope for EQN.  I think some people at SOE had to learn some lessons from SWG.  I think they know now that they had some special features that more of the market is ready for.  Evolved versions of those features, of course.  They could make a mean hybrid by addressing strengths and weaknesses from SWG.

I believe that SoE can design a good game. But I really question this one. I know am repeating myself from other threads but it's the only thing I have to go on right now.

Looking at the (not good) effect the ability to buy gems and trade for gold had on GW2's overall economy, as well as the effect tradeable items from Anarchy Online's Cash Shop had on those game's economies As well as some not so subtle coding to encourage more shop use,  I have some very strong doubts for a sandbox MMO with the same feature. I am taking a "I'll believe it when I see it" stance on this one, because as of now, I can't see how a cash shop in a sandbox is going to work.

I'm with you on that.  I'm optimistic simply because it's great to see a AAA developer try a sandbox/hybrid again, but I'm prepared for a fail as well.  Besides there are so many other interesting games coming over the next couple years, I'm not sure it matters if this one turns out to be a bust.

Look at ArcheAge.  From what I am hearing, the NA version is turning into a joke.  Guess we'll have to see on that one.  Something like Star Citizen, at least in concept, sounds much more appealing to me right now.  I'm also hoping The Repopulation will be an interesting and solid niche game.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    I don't know much about the game itself, I liked the painting reveal and the style they seem to be using and cannot wait for the reveal!!! Especially since I know nothing of it!! =)
  • AceshighhhhAceshighhhh Member Posts: 185

The only thing that will make or break this game for me is the combat.

If SOE decides to go for the same old auto-attack system every other MMO has tried for the passed two decades, I won't be interested.

• ZanagiZanagi Member Posts: 30
    Good or bad. I'm still going to play it rather than having someone tell me it's bad. Besides I'm going to SOE live. If all else fails I still have Vegas. 
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Well I'm glad to see some folks got the vibe of the thread. I'm glad we still go crazy over games, build them up in our minds, rage quit, etc. It means we're not all just a bunch of jaded cynics.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Funny!

Now that ArcheAge is an evil sellout, and AoW has some issues, it's time for EQN to be the next Great Hype Hope!   Once that falls there will be another.  There's alway another one;  the  blanker the canvas the better it fits every dream perfectly.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Well I'm glad to see some folks got the vibe of the thread. I'm glad we still go crazy over games, build them up in our minds, rage quit, etc. It means we're not all just a bunch of jaded cynics.

I was with you man...until your last sentence...

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Laiquendi

No evidence , No common sense, No reasoning, No logic.  

For those that do not know the term ,The OP's post is a very good example of a Troll. 

Actually his post is nothing more than honest.

So many people here have built this amazing game that will meet every wish, every desire and surpass every dream they have ever had of the perfect MMO - In their heads. When the reveal happens there will be a lot of people who are upset that what they pictured is not what is being offered. They will blame SOE for destroying the game they imagined, and the forums will be filled with 'WTF?!' posts.

Everyone hates waking from that amazing dream, because reality can be cruel.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• LaiquendiLaiquendi Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Zanagi
    Good or bad. I'm still going to play it rather than having someone tell me it's bad. Besides I'm going to SOE live. If all else fails I still have Vegas. 

I HATE YOU!!!  lol, I wish I could go.   I took too much time off this year and I have a disney vaca in sept booked up.  GET VIDEOS!!!!!   image

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by fyerwall
    Originally posted by Laiquendi

No evidence , No common sense, No reasoning, No logic.  

For those that do not know the term ,The OP's post is a very good example of a Troll. 

Actually his post is nothing more than honest.

So many people here have built this amazing game that will meet every wish, every desire and surpass every dream they have ever had of the perfect MMO - In their heads. When the reveal happens there will be a lot of people who are upset that what they pictured is not what is being offered. They will blame SOE for destroying the game they imagined, and the forums will be filled with 'WTF?!' posts.

Everyone hates waking from that amazing dream, because reality can be cruel.

this is so true.  truth can hurt and people here dont want to wake up from the dream.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by Foomerang Well I'm glad to see some folks got the vibe of the thread. I'm glad we still go crazy over games, build them up in our minds, rage quit, etc. It means we're not all just a bunch of jaded cynics.

I was with you man...until your last sentence...

hehe awwwww

• theNextEQtheNextEQ Member Posts: 15

It is completely ok to be excited, have a little hope, and build a little hype up in your own head.

If you also realize that no game or developer team or company is ever going to create 100% perfection. (unless you become a billionaire and pay someone to make the exact game you want)

All you have to do in the end is look at the finished product with an open mind and decide if its good enough.

I see all kinds of ridiculous demands on this game, that I am not putting on the game.

I see people who are like:

"if this game don't have a mini map, no buy from me"  -- Really?  :/

"if this game don't meet 100% of MY person expectations, not playing it" ... come on. No game in the world will ever meet 100% expectations.  

To put unrealistic expectations on a game won't do anything but disappoint you and may rob you of an otherwise great game. Even isn't 1000% of what YOU want . The game has to please more than one type of gamer.  not just you.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Fact: You could do this same exact post in every single game before it is revealed/launched and it would fit just perfectly. Silly thread to have considering there has yet to be a game that has ever lived up to its hype, most fall incredibly short, even if they end up still being a good game just sine the game was hyped up so much.
  • DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307

The opposite of hope is fear. We must face our fears. Turn to the Smed, embrace the cash shop, empty your pockets, go to him GO and make it good and we will live in a world of make believe as fantastic as the one in our minds eye but ONLY if you believe in the Smed.

Name your first born Smed Butler Georgeson and all of your hope and dreams will be a reality!

• Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Latronus

For some of you, this game will never be as good as it is right now. So before the reveal comes and may possibly shatter your dreams, bask in the glory of eq next and all it unlimited perfection!

/kowtow

Obviously someone is jealous, mad, or just disgruntled.  Can't stand the fact that people are excited, even if waaaay premature, about this game and not yours?

The only person who seems any of those things is you and your assumptions.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Heretic451
    Originally posted by Latronus

For some of you, this game will never be as good as it is right now. So before the reveal comes and may possibly shatter your dreams, bask in the glory of eq next and all it unlimited perfection!

/kowtow

Obviously someone is jealous, mad, or just disgruntled.  Can't stand the fact that people are excited, even if waaaay premature, about this game and not yours?

The only person who seems any of those things is you and your assumptions.

Disagree, plenty of angry and disgruntled on the first page of comments that I can see.  Not sure about jealous though.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

I will say this: Since my judgment is the only thing I have control over, I know that SOE, which has disappointed and dissatisfied me as a company for its many transgressions, has gotten me more enthused about EQNext than Bethesda with its poor, poor decisions regarding ESO, a company which has done nothing but amaze me in the past. 

That's a mighty feat.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Its gonna take more than an MMO let down to make me cry..

maybe a stubbed toe or a skinned knee..

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Dredphyre

I will say this: Since my judgment is the only thing I have control over, I know that SOE, which has disappointed and dissatisfied me as a company for its many transgressions, has gotten me more enthused about EQNext than Bethesda with its poor, poor decisions regarding ESO, a company which has done nothing but amaze me in the past. 

That's a mighty feat.

Bethesda isn't making ESO.. Zenimax online is, completely different studios. Bethesda is working on (supposedly) Fallout 4.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

/kowtow

It is true. There is literally ZERO chance that the game will just like anyone here imagines it. So enjoy your dreams and hopefully enjoy reality come Aug 2.

Your avatar makes me hate everything about you. It reminds me of the douche bag from Toy Story.

• KolepechKolepech Member Posts: 14
    Some saying its going to be great, some saying its going to be garbage.... I hope its somewhere in the middle, close enough to great to be at least good. Then I will be happy to return to Norrath  (Eq1 was my first MMO) at least for a year or so... worth getting excited over IMO.
  • ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by Iadien
    It will be a good lesson for those that get their hopes up... =p

Do you like kicking puppies, too? And what lesson? Never get excited about anything? Let them have their hope.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Am I under arrest, Officer Coli?

Mel N. Coli

That groan you just made.... I made that same sound when I read this OP image

I'm excited as well and as always I would never let an MMO disappoint me so I can get as excited and wishful as possible.  It's actually a good feeling.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Rusque
    I have collectors edition diapers in preparation for the forthcoming pants pooping.

Im gonna laugh is someone actually does shit themselves over it.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

As long as it has the races, classes and lore of EQ with a new polish of paint (and yes, I love the stylised concept art), then it will be pretty hard to disappoint me. Only thing that could cause me not to play this game would be if they went for a classless system. I find them bland and flawed.

My excitement will reach critical levels if it is revealed to have open world PvP.