Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ok PLEASE somone explain the 10,000 key deal..

BahkBahk Member Posts: 259

I either misunderstood the post i read, or its true. What I read is that only 10,000 people will be able to join SOG by getting keys or what not.. I was under the impression that EVERYONE was going to beable to participate in SOG, if somone could clear this up for me that would be GREAT thanks.

Comments

• JakeSnake888JakeSnake888 Member Posts: 16

Only the first 10,000 to register will be given a key initially. AD has hinted, however, that the server can probably handle many more players, and that more keys may be given out later. In any case, it's best to just try your best to get one of the 10,000 free keys, chances are you'll be competing with at least 100,000 others from here and europe too. Oh, and SoG is completely free, DnL will cost money.

• BahkBahk Member Posts: 259

Well thats ok i guess but kind of sucks because i thought everyone was going to beable to play :(

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

It appears the free keys will become avaiable at 1pm EST (noon central and 10am west coast time).  Most likely these 10k keys will go in the 1st hour.  If you want one be prepared.   Expect technical problems.  The 8.8k paid keys that went on 11/24 and 11/25 crashed the server for the first  6+ hours.  I hit the refresh button every 10 seconds for 5 hours before I got one.  So be prepared for server lag if you want a key.

In regards to additional keys.  They said they would sell more prepaid acounts and offer more free ones when they become available.  More accounts may become avaiable if people don't use their SoG accounts or if their server load increases.   In other words if SoG bombs they may open up more free accounts in attempt to populate the world.

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

[quote]Originally posted by Zippy
    [b]It appears the free keys will become avaiable at 1pm EST (noon central and 10am west coast time).  b][/quote]

can you provide a link to this information please? thanks in advance ::::01::

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I don't think there is one angerr, like most everything else hard info is hard to find. But it was 1800 GMT just like the keys. I think it is bit torrent if I remember the threads correctly.

I doubt if any/many of us that work for a living will be able to get one unless the registration server crashes and burns. I know I won't waste a vacation day for one, but if that is a option and you really want one you may want to consider it. There was a locked thread over there where one little sphincter was urging all the pioneers to try and get as many free accounts as possible to give to friends/guildies.

As far as the limitations they have pretty much admitted that they want to make sure the server can handle that many before stepping up. 18K should mean about 3 to 4k logged on at any given time like any other MMORPG, then they will step it up if interest is shown and it looks as if their technology works. Should be interesting to see any way it goes. Server stability and game content wise. hey been talking the talk for a long time, now lets see if they can walk the walk.

I miss DAoC

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

edited to remove the above post quote

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

well, i think this post has gone irreversably off topic. maybe a lock is in order here? btw, i love you infra, it looks like you need a hug today.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

dont worry about it. Topic Hijackers will be dealt with accordingly. Please continue the 10,000 key discussions ...

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• JakeSnake888JakeSnake888 Member Posts: 16

I'm pretty sure they'll release more if the servers can handle it. Like always, right now they are just giving up barely enough to keep their audience enticed. But yes, in the dev chat I read, he gave the impression that the technology could probably handle more, and if it could, they would allow more soon.

"Q#5 - Will there be another "wave" of free keys after SoG is released?

The number of players and the number of people we can gradually allow in SoG upon release will depend on:

*The success of SoG - maybe you won't like it at all!

*The evolution of the server cluster during the gaming experience.

We will try to let new players in, and to answer the general demand at best, while keeping the same stability for Settlers who are registered already. New DnL keys will be sold before the release of DnL, but these will not be collector keys and some benefits from the Pioneer offer will not be available anymore."

http://www.darkandlight.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32030

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by angerr

[quote]Originally posted by Zippy
    [b]It appears the free keys will become avaiable at 1pm EST (noon central and 10am west coast time).  b][/quote]
    can you provide a link to this information please? thanks in advance ::::01::

Here is the quote and the link.

SoG Registration opens on :

December 8th 2005, 18h00 GMT

http://www.darkandlight.net/pioneer/RegisterSoG.html
  • deggilatordeggilator Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by Bahk
    Well thats ok i guess but kind of sucks because i thought everyone was going to beable to play :(

It's necessary to gradually increase the number of participants instead of providing the opportunity for everyone to play the game from the early beginning. Considering that SoG is free, it will attract a lot of attention, even from players with no other interest but that of playing a free MMO. This would mean severe server stability issues, as thousands of new players would be simultaneously in the same newbie area.

Furthermore, it would make it impossible to hunt with ease. I remember WoW's open beta, with lots of players in the newbie areas, all after the same mobs to finish quests. What would normally take 10 mins to kill a few wolves, for example, due to the heavy population it'd take an hour or so, while you try to attack a mob first the instant it spawns. The same problematic situation also occured in Lineage 2.

The fact that they've never done any stress tests to see the server's stability with high population also provides a reason for such a limitation. The last thing they'd want is thousands of people complaining that they can't log in and feeding the community with exaggerated, negative posts.

Currently playing:
    * City of Heroes: Deggial, Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster. Server: Defiant.
    * City of Villains: Snakeroot, Plant/Thorns Dominator. Server: Defiant.

• FurrbawlFurrbawl Member Posts: 95

Originally posted by Zippy

It appears the free keys will become avaiable at 1pm EST (noon central and 10am west coast time).  Most likely these 10k keys will go in the 1st hour.  If you want one be prepared.   Expect technical problems.  The 8.8k paid keys that went on 11/24 and 11/25 crashed the server for the first  6+ hours.  I hit the refresh button every 10 seconds for 5 hours before I got one.  So be prepared for server lag if you want a key.

Many posted on the forums that using Firefox instead of IE helped them eliminate a lot of the refresh frustraion that many had (myself included). You may want to download that and install it in advance.

With only 10k keys going out, and for free, it will be a mad house over there!

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
    J. R. R. Tolkien

• snaggletoothsnaggletooth Member Posts: 23

and I gurantee you everyone is going to be downloading it at 30kb/sec because their too stupid to put it up on fileplanet like normal people do.

many companies uses bit torrent including AO

And 10,000 users means a potential 10,000 seeders. I know from experience with just 40 seeders, Bit Torrent is fast with around 400 kbs

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• IIRLIIRL Member Posts: 876

The majority of people with good connections will seed because it increases their E-Penises, and so will I.

I CREATED MYSELF!
    <3 "<Claus|Dev> i r pk"

SW:TOR|War40K:DMO|GW2

Bit Torrent is ok if you have it set up right. Set it wrong or if you are behind your college's firewall nd you have a nightmare

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~hamilton/btclientconfig.html

heres a link to help twink everything in right

I miss DAoC

• GaligarGaligar Member Posts: 4
    Do you really think you will get the key from the website? I'm guessing they will send the 10K invites thru e-mail.

you need to go to the site first to get the key emailed to you

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Yes not for sure... but I strongly believe that they emailed those 10,000 invites to people who registered at the DnL website many months ago. I highly doubt that you'll get an invite "now" into SOG by registering now. But first come, first serve in all likli-hood incase they do invite more people to play SOG for free. (Or it may be based on the DnL forum participation).

In any instance, I can almost guarantee you that you won't be playing SOG this weekend if you haven't already recieved an email invitation to the SOG pre-game release.

- Zaxx

• allthereallthere Member Posts: 26

No one has got a free SoG key yet, you need to go to the DnL web site on Dec 8th to get one, and if you are one of the lucky ones they will e-mail it to you, but trust me it could take you a long time to get one.  It took me over 6hrs to get my Pioneer key.

So Below you will see a list of things that might help you get this free key.

1) Lots of Coffee for your nerves. image

2) Lots of junk food to keep you going for at least 6hrs +. image

3) something soft for your hands, so that you don't break your computer screen when it keeps telling you that the page is still loading. image

4) A big Box of Tissues so you can wipe the tearsimage from your eyes...Thats If you don't get the Free Key. image

5) A case or 2 of beer (OR) a case of PoP for those of you who are not of age to drink..lol, it's for when you do get the free key. image

6) keep hitting the refresh key and it just mite pay off for you, thats how i got my Pioneer keyimage

So I hope this helps you all in your Quest to get the Free SoG game key for Dec 8th...Good Luck to you all. image.....And hope to see you all in game on Dec 8th.

<offtopic>

<----- Reads alltheres post and has this mental picture of 5000 people scrambling for a turd in a swimming pool.

</offtopic>

good luck boyz and girlz  in getting a key

good luck AD in keeping  the hamsters that power your web server alive

good luck NP3 may you survive the onslaught from the pioneers when they see what they paid for.

I miss DAoC

• snaggletoothsnaggletooth Member Posts: 23

"In any instance, I can almost guarantee you that you won't be playing SOG this weekend if you haven't already recieved an email invitation to the SOG pre-game release."

uhm.. anyone who downloads the free play will be playing SoG. SoG is no different than DnL. Only difference is you get a pet dragon.

• BahkBahk Member Posts: 259

Ok now that i have a complete understanding of whats going on.. heres my preperation list :)
    1. called out sick CHECK
    2. 30 rack in the fridge CHECK
    3. Coffe ready CHECK
    4. Food CHECK
    5. New browser CHECK
    im good to go :P

• LordAnubisLordAnubis Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by snaggletooth

"In any instance, I can almost guarantee you that you won't be playing SOG this weekend if you haven't already recieved an email invitation to the SOG pre-game release."
    uhm.. anyone who downloads the free play will be playing SoG. SoG is no different than DnL. Only difference is you get a pet dragon.

really? so the devs saying there gonna relase the game 6 months laters now makes perfect sense ..... I mean come on i dont think even the beta testers know what the game will be like let alone us mere mortals