Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Razer Hydra

HannamerikaHannamerika Member Posts: 6
I am trying to decide what type of controller to get.  Do you all find a Xbox360 type controller to be the best choice or do you think the Razer Hydra would be a good choice?  I am not a hardcore player, and I have just started with these newer PC games, but once I get my sea legs under me I will likely spend quite a bit of time in game.  I currently play LOTRO, I have also dabbled in WOW and I plan to play Repopulation.  Thanks:)

Comments

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    For MMOs I would suggest a naga or g600 rather than a traditional controller. I've tried both in the g600 is superior should you choose to go that way. That said the hydra isn't really a traditional controller and the hydra combined with something like the rift has huge potential for fun but for now and for MMOs, I'd get a g600 personally.
  • HannamerikaHannamerika Member Posts: 6
    You use that in conjunction with your keyboard though, right?
    For most MMOs yes. For MMOs that let you use your mouse to run than you wouldn't need to but I still do. Since the buttons are all programmable you could actually make it so you didn't need the keyboard at all but I wouldn't advise doing that.
    Well, I have a problem using my left wrist too much.  We were in an automobile accident with a horse and it did not play nice with my wrist.  I can use it in normal everyday life ok, so long as I don't try to pick anything up with that hand alone that is too heavy, but playing the game using that hand, requiring that wrist to be in the position necessary for any length of time just doesn't work very well.  I can use the xbox controller to play xbox games, and that works pretty good.  That is why I was hoping there was some alternative to the keyboard.  I have used the arrow keys with my right hand, but then I have to move between keyboard and mouse, which is cumbersome and lastly, the movement using the keyboard, which may simply be my poor ability, is really jerky.
    Originally posted by Hannamerika
    Well, I have a problem using my left wrist too much.  We were in an automobile accident with a horse and it did not play nice with my wrist.  I can use it in normal everyday life ok, so long as I don't try to pick anything up with that hand alone that is too heavy, but playing the game using that hand, requiring that wrist to be in the position necessary for any length of time just doesn't work very well.  I can use the xbox controller to play xbox games, and that works pretty good.  That is why I was hoping there was some alternative to the keyboard.  I have used the arrow keys with my right hand, but then I have to move between keyboard and mouse, which is cumbersome and lastly, the movement using the keyboard, which may simply be my poor ability, is really jerky.

Oh okay. Than the g600 probably not what you are after. There are keypads like the razer Nostromo and Orbweaver but I have no experience with them personally and you'd have to make sure you could get them for your right hand. The Hydra seems like a cool device too but I'm not sure if it needs to be supported, maybe someone with experience with the hydra can clear that up.

Thanks, I really appreciate your time:)
    Originally posted by Hannamerika
    Thanks, I really appreciate your time:)

Your welcome.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Given your unique situation I'd recommend you check out MMO's which were designed from to work specifically with a controller as they tend to play better than those which add the support later.  TERA is a great example of this and the soon to be released FFXIV is another.
  • dleveldlevel Member UncommonPosts: 88
    i m using logitech g15 gamepad with logitech g600 mouse and it works on every mmo i ve played, also the plus part is that they both use the same customization software which i like.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Off the top of my head, I can think of a fairly simple solution to implement.

Buy a joystick for your left hand and buy a mouse with a lot of buttons for your right hand.  

Use the joystick for movement, and use the hat on it for some button actions.  Most of them should be programmable, but if not, a program called Joy2Key should be free.  If the game isn't made for joystick movement, you will need to use Joy2Key to make it work.  Finding a joystick designed for the left hand might be a challenge, but they do exist.

The mouse I was thinking of is something like a Razer Naga.  I considered one of those, but the buttons look too small for my big hands.  Hopefully you don't have big hands.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153095&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Mice-_-N82E16826153095&gclid=CPKX1dWUr7gCFY2k4AodoGwAcQ

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Google (regular or image) search for split vertical keyboards. You might find something better for your wrist. 

There are also mouses made for different angles 

Personally I'd love to have a Naga like mouse at about a 20-30 degree angle.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I'm sure you know by now that not every game has native controller support. XPadder fills in nicely for those that don't.

That being said. The Xbox 360 Wired controllers work with just a driver download from Microsoft. The Wireless controllers require a specific PC Wireless adapter for the PC, but aside from that work with the same driver.

Logitech has excellent driver support for their controllers. This goes from Gamepads to flight sticks to just about anything inbetween. Most of their stuff works out of the box.

PS3 controllers work, with third-party non-official drivers. Some drivers support Bluetooth wireless, others require a USB cable.

The Hydra - I have no experience with personnaly. Really, it looks to act like most any other controller. Razer drivers are ... if you like them you do, and if you don't you don't - it doesn't use Synapse 2.0, so I don't know how much support it will get from here on out.

If you decide to try the Hydra, let us know how it works out.