Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription Based for real?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    obviously subscription based working as intended if it is keeping OP from wanting to play.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Shatter30
    This game will fail as a sub MMO.  If TOR couldn't survive as one as large of an IP as it is, why would this do any better when its essentially a WOW clone done worse. 

TOR couldn't survive because it couldn't make up the billion dollar investment that EA threw at the purchase of BioWare and BioWares development of the game. 

Is that a fact? billion dollar? got any reliable source to back up this statement... because i would like to read up on it.

He's probably referring to http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-buying-bioware-pandemic-for-860m-6180818

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• raas1337raas1337 Member Posts: 39
    I fully support P2P model, atlast i wont have to deal with whone bunch of retards and whiners.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    This game will fail as a sub MMO.  If TOR couldn't survive as one as large of an IP as it is, why would this do any better when its essentially a WOW clone done worse. 

TOR couldn't survive because it couldn't make up the billion dollar investment that EA threw at the purchase of BioWare and BioWares development of the game. 

Is that a fact? billion dollar? got any reliable source to back up this statement... because i would like to read up on it.

I suppose it's rocket science to do some basic research now-a-days? The purchase of Bioware cost roughly 750,000,000 dollars and the production of SWTOR is somewhere in the 200,000,000's there are plenty of reports and articles that have been written about the massive amount of money funded into to company and SWTOR. 

No but i do prefer some reliable sources instead of doing rocket science. People are in habit of pulling lots of stuff from their behind and pass it off as 'facts'.

Moreover, the MMOS which didn't spend as much as SWTOR are also floating along side others in F2P waters. So big budget is not the only reason why MMOS go F2P. Big or low budget..its getting harder and harder for MMOS to survive as P2P in todays market.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by raas1337
    I fully support P2P model, atlast i wont have to deal with whone bunch of retards and whiners.

I guess you never played WOW and EVE if you think these two categories of people you mentioned do not exist in P2P. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

I guess you never played WOW and EVE if you think these two categories of people you mentioned do not exist in P2P. 

Hey... we love retards in EVE...especially when they undock from Jita 4-4 in a shuttle crammed full of plexes...<3.

• raas1337raas1337 Member Posts: 39

Actually, i played wow since 2005 and compare to other f2p games for first 2-3y of its life it was much much better.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

I suppose it's rocket science to do some basic research now-a-days? The purchase of Bioware cost roughly 750,000,000 dollars and the production of SWTOR is somewhere in the 200,000,000's there are plenty of reports and articles that have been written about the massive amount of money funded into to company and SWTOR. 

No but i do prefer some reliable sources instead of doing rocket science. People are in habit of pulling lots of stuff from their behind and pass it off as 'facts'.

Moreover, the MMOS which didn't spend as much as SWTOR are also floating along side others in F2P waters. So big budget is not the only reason why MMOS go F2P. Big or low budget..its getting harder and harder for MMOS to survive as P2P in todays market.

SWTOR could have stayed sub based if they didn't screw up and release a garbage game. they knew there were problems, loads of them... all the way through beta; we told them OVER AND OVER again that if they kept on the path they were headed the game would fail. they didn't listen.

the vast majority of other f2p games are f2p because they are essentially the same exact game just with a different setting (themeparks). the market is over saturated with theme park titles and there's no population to sustain it. FFXIV:ARR is a themepark, but it is a well done themepark with a 20 year old IP and a large worldwide following. western themeparks are also still a fairly new concept in the japanese market, which is nearly 50% of the playerbase of FFXIV. the game will do fine.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

What is a fact is that Bioware arrogantly thought they could incorporate what they did best into an MMORPG and it failed. It's great when you add features into an MMORPG that allow for players to experience content when solo, but to base the entire premise of an MMORPG on a single player feature is a catastrophic failure on so many levels. Especially when it cost them the ability to properly finish the game so you end up with nothing more than a solo RPG that you can play with friends. Not to mention the fact that the cost of development was so great, they had to make the experience complete in a week's time. 

Level to cap in a week with little else to do after that? Yeah, like that's gonna pull in subs for 48 months.

I'm not saying that FF14 will be different, but also not saying it won't be. Many of you guys are basing your opinions on what it's taking to get a single class to level without realizing there is so much more to it. You can't just get one class to cap and call it a day. There are other classes too. And that's not for Alts. It's for one character. And not just for combat, but also for crafting. And that crating is supposed to be an integral part of the leveling.

It's very hard to say so soon, but this game does have indicators that it will expand as your progress and it will become increasingly more involved. This game is primarily designed to appeal to the Asian/Japanese market. And they tend to be far more elitist than Western Gamers. I know people who said that during 11, it was like this, The Jap side were far more hardcore than the NA/Euro side.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Im happy to pay sub for this.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Soltek

So is FFXIV really going to be Subscription based? And if so will it have a cash shop? I'm finding it hard to believe. I don't think there's been a new triple A subscription based MMORPG since WoW in 2004.

FF IP has many followers who will happily subscribe for this game.

If it wasn't for the huge FF fanbase this game would have gone F2P within 6 months.

Sta Trek had many follower more than FF, Star Wars has many followers. more than FF, Warhammer has many followers again more than FF. IP and followers means nothing these days.

You can give IP fans a MMO which will cure cancer and they still wouldn't support it as a P2P model in long run.

In the video game industry FF is more popular than any of those, its right up there with mario and zelda

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

I'd rather pay a sub and not have any cash shop at all.  Been an avid f2p gamer and I am quite frankly sick of the subpar quality and crappy games with grossly over inflated cash shop prices that are coming out in this model.

Take Neverwinter for example, what crap!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

I'd rather pay a sub and not have any cash shop at all.  Been an avid f2p gamer and I am quite frankly sick of the subpar quality and crappy games with grossly over inflated cash shop prices that are coming out in this model.

Thing is, have the latest subscription based games been any better?

• crimzonxskyzcrimzonxskyz Member Posts: 28

There are tons of cash shop non sub based games out there that you CAN play... so why bitch about this one.

Cash shop f2p games bring the hordes of ass holes, cheap gamers, and whiney trolling ass hats who think they should be able to buy cosmetic goodies and bonuses that ultimately give you no real sense of accomplishment.

do you know what this word means, have you ever attained this feeling? Probably not because you've only ever played non sub based f2p mmos that eventually lose there flavor.

so my solution / suggestion to you ass hats who want this outa ffxiv... stop being cheap, dont be an ass hat, or earn your stripes.

BECAUSE this mmo does not fit or cater to your casual life style, and you feel like whining over it does not mean they will / should change it, I am actually happy that this will not be a butt slut mmo that any1 who FEELS like playing it at that point in time can jump in and play. It is going to have players that know what they want out of a game, and PAY for what they want / are getting. Which you would know if were weren't a cheap whore waiting to pass the STD infested f2p game you are playing around with now onto the next one.

I.E. - " dude sweet axe where did you get it, some bad ass monster / boss you had to actually strategize to kill and possibly not win the roll for vs another person "

cash shop player " Nah dude get the fuck outa here, I bought this shit for 5$ duckets dumb ass... "

me  - V-------------------------------V

Go play your triple A mmo World of Wackness now...

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    I played enough games with cash shops and I honestly can not wait to go back to monthly sub where everyone on the same level and the accomplishment in game can feel an ACCOMPLISHMENT
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Definitely one of the few mmorpgs worthy of a sub fee, in my opinion.

Anybody who feels it's just more of the same, or hates the combat, etc... will obviously not agree with it's payment model. Those who appreciate the small details (and more importantly the combination of them all as a whole) that set this game apart, will have no issues (in fact, I prefer it!) paying for it monthly.

There's some great F2P mmorpgs out there, and there's some great P2P mmorpgs out there... what sets them apart is up to each individual player to decide. This one, for me, is in it's correct category.  

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

Because Square Enix isn't relying on investors to push this title... they aren't aiming for 500 million subs... they are aiming for a hardcore corp of gamers... I would say 100k... 100k paying $15/mo - 1.5m a month or 18m a year.... they can sustain the game AND release more and more content with the model. F2P is crap imo. I prefer subscription with no cash shop.

• FourplayFourplay Member UncommonPosts: 216

P2P? F2P? B2P? The model doesn't matter as much as how good the game is.

I'll keep a B2P or F2P installed on my computer to play when I am bored even if it sucks a little. But if they actually want to make any money or consistent money off me they have to deliver the goods.

Let's let ARR release and run for a year before we all turn into Doomsday prophets. It might make us feel good if we turn out ot be right. But if we're wrong we look like a straight up dumb ass.

I'll sub for a bit. It's up to Square-Enix and how they develop through time, if they are going to be the company that holds me.

Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

Thing is, have the latest subscription based games been any better?

Dunno haven't played any recently but just not having a cash shop will be worth it and the previous FF mmo seems to have had a good run so I must assume it was good. I dont mean 1.0

The recent f2p games sure as hell have all sucked and been cash grabs, I know this for sure. Was going to try swtor when it hit f2p as I am a big starwars fans but when I saw the ridiculous restrictions I just closed tab and decided to forget about it.

I also have been in the beta for this game and am enjoying it as it is now, with the rest of the game unlocked and if they keep on as they are now I will be very happy.  The only thing that would make me go fudge and unhappy about it being sub would be

A. they add a cash shop or add RMT

B. the quality of the game takes a serious nose dive for some reason

C. it becomes a bug and exploit ridden fleabag like Neverwinter is.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    I'll be purchasing extra subs just to spite the FTP community.
  • You know whats really cool about a box price and paid subscription.

When you're an idiot that doesn't report exploits and rather you broadcast them and take advantage of them, when you get banned for it, you can't just make another account and return to the game.

Originally posted by jonesing22

You know whats really cool about a box price and paid subscription.

When you're an idiot that doesn't report exploits and rather you broadcast them and take advantage of them, when you get banned for it, you can't just make another account and return to the game.

What's really cool is you don't need to broadcast the exploits that have already ruined the economy and game experience for non exploiters and that have been reported over and over and over for the company to decide to fix them and take action against the exploiters!