Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How about doing another Kickstarter

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

How about doing another kick starter program to fund developers to make more classes, and races to play, as well as more interesting and deep crafting system?

i know the crafting system is suppose to be deep as is, but could imagine how much more fun it could be with a small team working on it from kickstarter.

also like in their blog, the more classes and races gets people attached and more fun and replay value. Having a team working on that and focused on balance of them could pay off well.

also a Kickstarter for a small team to build more sandbox elements. Maybe some deeper sandbox features, like dungeon maker, or housing with destruction elements. Idk, you come up with something

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    They almost didn't make the last one, another one would likely be a failure imo.
  • emistzemistz Member Posts: 54
    It is worth a shot.  What's the worst that could happen, they fail at the kickstarter and can't get the funds?  That's basically the same position they would be in right now.

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    maybe the devs should make there own damn money. hate these kickstarter programs basically funding the game with no return. 
  • QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253

I think it's a great idea... Maybe not shoot for nearly as high of a goal as last time, but maybe another $500k to add some new classes? As it stands now, I think there'll only be 1 per archetype, per realm, + an archer class, so 5 classes per realm total... And considering one of the foundational principles is "choice matters", I think it's important to give players a more classes to choose from like we had in DAoC... That's the only constructive criticism I have about this game. Balancing is a bitch, but having tons of classes was one of the thigns that really made DAoC special... and while this isn't a DAoC clone, I think it would still do to have a ton of great class choices.

So, imo, go for it, but go for only maybe $400-$500k, but wait a year or so, for people to recover their initial kickstarter funds, and be willing to pledge once again.

Originally posted by voltt
    maybe the devs should make there own damn money. hate these kickstarter programs basically funding the game with no return. 

Yea, they're going to make their own money and still  work full-time on a game for you without any pay... that sounds reasonable.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Qallidexz

Yea, they're going to make their own money and still  work full-time on a game for you without any pay... that sounds reasonable.

Hard to beat Kickstarter from a developer's perspective.  Minimize your financial risk, yet still collect on all the profit to be made off the finished product.  There's also nothing on the line if they fail to complete the project, the backers are simply out their money.

As a backer, the idea of Kickstarter is almost laughable.  You are essentially "purchasing" something WAY in advance, sight unseen, with no guarantee that you will actually receive said item.  You are also encouraged to pay even more than a standard box price for a game because of the warm fuzzy feeling you get when supporting independent developers and the bonuses they give higher contributors.

You know, it reminds me a lot of the system that has been used for years and years to fund innovative ideas.  We call it investment capital.  People put money into a project, but they expect something beyond a copy of the game for the money they risk on that project.  The drawback to this type of funding is that investors will stifle creativity as necessary to create a profitable product.

I guess from an artistic perspective there are pluses to Kickstarter, but it really seems like the developer sees all the benefits and the "investors" take all the risk with no real return on their investment.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

you what?

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342

Please no, we had enough drama on these forums :p

On a more serious note, they barely scraped it together, but yes I do think they need a whole load of money.

Because the way it looks now it's gonna be MMORPG nr 5454756 who is underfunded and a 'diamond' in the rough.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by killion81

I guess from an artistic perspective there are pluses to Kickstarter, but it really seems like the developer sees all the benefits and the "investors" take all the risk with no real return on their investment.

The players/investors or whatever you want to call them get to play the game they are backing so there is the return right there. Without Kickstarter a lot of good indie games would never have seen the light of day..

kickstarter is the best thing to happen to the PC gamnig industry for a very very long time. We will start to see enw games coming out that are not just wow clones or cod clones..

Yea, Kickstarter isn't really about ROI... It's about voting with your wallet, and breathing life into a project that wouldn't have otherwise existed. It's also about putting the ball in the developer's court, because they can negotiate way better deals with investors, and have way more creative freedom if the project is proven to have interest and funded on KS. 

If you're an investor investing millions of dollars in capital, then yea, you want your money back and then some, but if you're just a regular person and you spend $100, sure you'll get something in return for that, as all backers do, but, it's more "donating" money to see something come to life that couldn't have otherwise existed without the financial resources required.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

That would be a decent argument for when the lead person hasn't made millions in their lifetime and should clearly have the amount he's asking from kickstarter to do it on his own, but simply doesn't want to risk his own money. 

• belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

That would be a decent argument for when the lead person hasn't made millions in their lifetime and should clearly have the amount he's asking from kickstarter to do it on his own, but simply doesn't want to risk his own money. 

if you're trying to mention mark without actually mentioning mark, he's putting up exactly that amount of his own money lol.

• kryllenkryllen Member UncommonPosts: 27
    A new kickstarter would be useless. They hit their goal and some bonus stuff to go with it. After a while they said they will be putting up paypal with some special "tiers" as well, so that could suppliement extra income during development and maybe lead to more classes/content. Once more content is released, more money will come in.
  • MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    I missed the kickstarter, didn't hear about it but then I was out of the gaming scene for awhile.  If they do another one, I'll likely spend some money.  It wouldn't hurt to have another one but with a lower dollar amount goal, for some other purposes.  They can collect from the rest of us that learned about this late.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• detobudetobu Member Posts: 20
    I wouldn't say make another kickstarter. They should do what I've seen other developers do, continue to take donations through paypal during development with the same exact rewards as the original kickstarter, and continue to use those donations towards stretch goals. 
  • LaetitianLaetitian Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by detobu
    I wouldn't say make another kickstarter. They should do what I've seen other developers do, continue to take donations through paypal during development with the same exact rewards as the original kickstarter, and continue to use those donations towards stretch goals. 

That is precisely what they intend to do.

On " http://camelotunchained.com/en/donate/ " 'second stage tier'-donations have been advertised for a full two-months.  I want to donate desperately, as I would love to be in those funder-forums, but they seem to be taking a lot of time for that, and I simply do not grasp the reason for that.

Does anyone have additional information on the donation-tiers, and could tell me when I might be able to participate the forum-activity? I would also like to know, if there are still any chances for me to take part in the development at the Alpha, or Betas. :$

• Niall18Niall18 Member Posts: 31
    I want to see real Game Play & mechanics in a video before I give them anything lol

Check out my Blog for MMO News, Rants & Fun!

http://MMO-Elitist.blogger.com

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Can projects be edited after funding is completed?

No. Every project is preserved as it ended. Creators are encouraged to use project updates to add new information to the project's development.

f I am unable to complete my project as promised, what should I do?

If you realize that you will be unable to follow through on your project before funding has ended, you are expected to cancel it. If your project is successfully funded, you are required to fulfill all rewards or refund any backer whose reward you do not or cannot fulfill. A failure to do so could result in damage to your reputation or even legal action by your backers. 

To avoid problems, don't over-promise when creating your project. If issues arise, communicate immediately, openly, and honestly with your backers.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

Yeah, I just heard about this game today.  Would have loved to get in on some KS action. Hopefully they'll open up some donations soonish. I loved DOAC and would still be playing WAR if everyone hadn't abandoned the game.

Here's to hoping this game come to fruition.

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Maybe once they got gameplay to show. I doubt the stuff they have showed so far will attract more backers.
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

They were hoping to re-open Pay-Pal by donations by the end of October, but appear to have not made the deadline. I imagine it will be up in the next week or so. I also imagine they will keep the same stretch goals and 2.5 mil was the RvR dungeon as well as another class.

I don't there will be another Kick-starter but there WILL be more donations. They don't really NEED KS. Star Citizen seems to have done alright without it......

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

They're opening Paypal donations soon. That's enough. I want to see if promises are delivered on what we've given so far. I don't think we should have to put more in on it until we start subscribing to the game at release.

We've funded kickstarter and MJ and his investors have put their money in. Let's see what we get now.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• EzbeeEzbee Member Posts: 31

I want to donate to this game but I want to know more about crafting, its annoying because there are crafting specific things in the kickstarter that I would've wanted but I cant justify the $110 I would've spent, knowing what they've put out.

I dont think this kickstarter thing is for me.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

shut up and take my money.

They say they are reopening donations soon and that's enough for me.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Yep. As soon as they release Foundational Principles #15, the money should start flowing again...