Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV not coming to Xbox because of cross-platform issues

2»

Comments

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by Kayo45

Im not saying that patch thing isnt it, but Sony has announced that the PS+ requirement is up to the developers. If im not mistaken its even been confirmed that PS+ wont be required for FFXIV.

Doesnt MS host all their online servers or something? Isnt that why theyre supposedly better in performance? PS3 = hosted at another private server or another PS3, X360 = hosted by MS?

PS+ is only required if developer use the PS+ servers. Most mmo games will avoid this and host their own service so ps+ will not be required.

MS host all their online servers and while i hate that extra fee they realy do a good job with it. I feel i get my money worth.

It is silly of em to not adopt sony view and if devs do host their own service you will not need gold.

I think MS will need to step up this generation witch is a good thing.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Its because MS wants you to pay Gold+Sub+ISP. They don't want Xbox One connecting to anything other than MS servers so people will HAVE to pay.

Yeah that is pretty insane. The thing is how many people would choose an XBOX One over the PS4 or over the PC just for this title exclusively, considering the fact that MS is going to Triple dip you even before you see the log in screen? Doesn't surprise me though, this is Microsoft we are talking about. No one should be shocked at this, I'd be more shell shocked if someone was.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by Gormok
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Its because MS wants you to pay Gold+Sub+ISP. They dont want Xbox One connecting to anything other than MS servers so people will HAVE to pay. At least Sony gives devs the option. Just more MS greed bullshit.

Honestly, this coming console war im going full Sony fanboy. I hope Sony takes them out like they did Sega and turn MS into a has-been software developer thats settles for just making games based on IPs they own (Halo and... KI? Gears?)

Gold + Sub + ISP has nothing to do with it.  Sony has PS Plus + Sub + ISP in order to play the game.  That's no different.

It is because of the patch reqs and Microsoft not opening up their platform.

Keep dreaming on the last part.

What Kayo45 is referring to is the fact that you have to pay Microsoft a sub in order to access their servers. If you don't pay for Microsoft live, you are not getting online. Were as Sony you do not have to pay to get online. Hench the Gold + Sub + ISP meaning you are paying for Microsoft live gold sub, than the sub for the game, and than the ISP. 

I believe that Torvaldr is pointing out that the PS4 will have the same requirement, right now with the ps3 you don't need the sub to play online but when the ps4 launches you will (at least for ps4 games).  

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by Myria

Gee, one company doesn't want to link their servers and architecture with their primary competitor, who, let's face it, doesn't exactly have a great security record.

I'm shocked.

I truly am.

Oh, and the PS3 can link with the PC version? The servers are all run by the same bloody company, it'd be insane if they couldn't, for god's sake.

This whole gamer herd "MS bad, Sony good... derp" thing is getting so far beyond the idiotic it's painful. At this point do you really think it would make sense for MS to host, support, and promote a Sony product? Yeah, right. Why don't they get DCUO while they're at it -- funny how a lack of cross-platform didn't matter back then? Oh, and would people actually think for one second before bringing up Dust? I mean, what, you don't think Sony paying a crapload of money for exclusivity had anything to do with it being a PS3-only title?

Nah, I heard (from crap I pulled out of my arse) that it's all MS's fault!

I'll certainly give Sony credit for coming up with a UI for FFXIV ARR that works well on both the PS3 and PC -- something Trion failed at miserably with Defiance -- I was impressed by how playable it is on the PS3. It's the first time I've seen an MMO really be half (albeit only half) usable on an console. But, honestly, get a clue. At this point Sony has no more interest in linking PS+ with XBL than MS does, frankly they probably only allowed it with FFXI because they didn't see Xbox as a real competitor back then. Thinking there was ever even a serious attempt to make such a thing happen is flat out delusional.

Sony is playing this out for PR and gamers, who apparently have the collective memory span of a retarded gnat, are eating it up.

Pathetic.

Huh?  Sony and Square/Enix aren't the same company and don't use the same servers.  Sony had nothing to do with coming up with the UI for the game as they have nothing to do with the game.  This is a very strange post.  

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Only reason FF!4 is not coming to XB1 is become of Bill Gates. He is making to many rules to try and make more money and control everything. Im a huge Xbox fan but this round of consoles has me 2nd guessing if I want to step into Microsoft camp again and I am sure developers feel the same way. Microsofts my way or the highway does not work for everyone.
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Although I do believe that most of the decision to not support xbox, is a result of MS's multiplayer infrastructure... Sony is still the third biggest shareholder of SE, which I am sure helps their influence of such decisions, at least a little.

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/stock/shareholder.html

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

Microsoft seems to have a vision of where console gaming is heading and is trying to force that vision onto the console market.

I think they are going to get a shock when they find out that xbox is not as ubiquitous as they wish it was. Developers and gamers will leave the system if someone else offers better/less intrusive experiances.

Originally posted by Mithrandolir

Although I do believe that most of the decision to not support xbox, is a result of MS's multiplayer infrastructure... Sony is still the third biggest shareholder of SE, which I am sure helps their influence of such decisions, at least a little.

Didnt stop them from putting FF11 on the xbox. Im telling ya if FF14 does not come to XB1 its all become of Bill Gates and his head in his BUTT!!!!

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Didnt stop them from putting FF11 on the xbox. Im telling ya if FF14 does not come to XB1 its all become of Bill Gates and his head in his BUTT!!!!

I believe that, but the shareholders won't be objecting to the decision, which helps :)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Inigo_Montoya
    interesting ...............The PS4 can play with the ps3 and PC on the same servers . I think the real issue is and has always been Microsoft . Final Fantasy XI was on both Xbox 360 , PS2 , and PC together like it is now. SE said because Microsoft wanted special service fees they would not as of now port to Xbox . Logic would say really Microsoft ? Because the PS4 , PS3 and PC all can play n the same servers but somehow an Xbox cant ? But that is MicroSHAFT

I don't think this is a huge loss for Microsoft, but at the same time, it's yet another instance of Microsoft doing something that isn't necessarily in the best interests of the customer. Yet another instance of Microsoft's attempt to generate revenue from the only division of the company that's actually growing and making money.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Inigo_Montoya
    interesting ...............The PS4 can play with the ps3 and PC on the same servers . I think the real issue is and has always been Microsoft . Final Fantasy XI was on both Xbox 360 , PS2 , and PC together like it is now. SE said because Microsoft wanted special service fees they would not as of now port to Xbox . Logic would say really Microsoft ? Because the PS4 , PS3 and PC all can play n the same servers but somehow an Xbox cant ? But that is MicroSHAFT

I don't think this is a huge loss for Microsoft, but at the same time, it's yet another instance of Microsoft doing something that isn't necessarily in the best interests of the customer. Yet another instance of Microsoft's attempt to generate revenue from the only division of the company that's actually growing and making money.

Go back 5 years ago and gamers perception of Microsoft and the Xbox was 180 from where it is today. Funny how just a few policy changes and we are outraged. 

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

FFXI had some special deal.

Normally, if your a developer/publisher, and want to publish something on the XBox:
    a) You have to pay Microsoft to license your game to run on the XBox
    b) You have to pay Microsoft a fee to let your game play online via XBL
    c) You have to pay Microsoft a fee for each patch you distribute via XBL
    d) Microsoft won't approve your license if you attempt to bypass any of the above 3 (FFXI had some exceptions)

You can see why MMOs don't come to the XBox, and why a lot of online games skip XBox distribution.

XB1 ~could~ support cross-platform play - that's just a function of your game server, which Microsoft has no control over. Microsoft does control how each client/gamer connects to that server, and forces it to be via XBL (sold to the gamer so they can "deliver a unified and consistently high experience"), and understandably a lot of publishers aren't willing to fork over a large portion of their subscription fee/online store revenue/whatever their business model is to Microsoft just for the privilege of having them shove XBL in the middle of their game client and the game server.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Well, the story I heard on that one. Is Microsoft made an exception with FFXI because they were desperate to try and crack into the Japanese market more. This made them the exclusive current gen console provider of FFXI. Did it work? I don't know but it does make sense and also explains why PS3 never saw a release of FFXI.

• PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105

I don't think it would be Bill Gates' fault. I think Steve Ballmer would be the one to blame instead.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

It seems like more and more games steer away from cross platform servers. It is really a shame because it really helps keep the population up. I know i played FFXI on 360 for a while before I got it on PC (though it was way better on PC imo).
    While console MMOs aren't for me I know a lot of people that won't get the PC version and it really sucks that I won't get to play with them :/

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Sinaku

It seems like more and more games steer away from cross platform servers. It is really a shame because it really helps keep the population up. I know i played FFXI on 360 for a while before I got it on PC (though it was way better on PC imo).
    While console MMOs aren't for me I know a lot of people that won't get the PC version and it really sucks that I won't get to play with them :/

You CAN play with them if you get a PS3 / 4 version and they get a PC version.

There just will never be an XBox version.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

With more and more brutal games comming out like Destiny / FF ARR to name 2 cross platform mmo's / mmofps it seems that Microsoft is putting themselves in a awkward position.

Alot of people look into this stuff when buying a console, PS4 already made it clear they are willing to give indy's and developers alot of freedom on their console, while Microsoft just seem to make it imposible to offer the same...

I hope this will cost them lots and lots of potantial buyers so they feel the price of greed deeeeeeeeeeeeep down in their pockets.
    Gaming freedom comming at you this year :)

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Gee, one company doesn't want to link their servers and architecture with their primary competitor, who, let's face it, doesn't exactly have a great security record.

I'm shocked.

I truly am.

Oh, and the PS3 can link with the PC version? The servers are all run by the same bloody company, it'd be insane if they couldn't, for god's sake.

This whole gamer herd "MS bad, Sony good... derp" thing is getting so far beyond the idiotic it's painful. At this point do you really think it would make sense for MS to host, support, and promote a Sony product? Yeah, right. Why don't they get DCUO while they're at it -- funny how a lack of cross-platform didn't matter back then? Oh, and would people actually think for one second before bringing up Dust? I mean, what, you don't think Sony paying a crapload of money for exclusivity had anything to do with it being a PS3-only title?

I'll certainly give Sony credit for coming up with a UI for FFXIV ARR that works well on both the PS3 and PC -- something Trion failed at miserably with Defiance -- I was impressed by how playable it is on the PS3. It's the first time I've seen an MMO really be half (albeit only half) usable on an console. But, honestly, get a clue. At this point Sony has no more interest in linking PS+ with XBL than MS does, frankly they probably only allowed it with FFXI because they didn't see Xbox as a real competitor back then. Thinking there was ever even a serious attempt to make such a thing happen is flat out delusional.

Sony is playing this out for PR and gamers, who apparently have the collective memory span of a retarded gnat, are eating it up.

Pathetic.

The only thing that's "Pathetic" here is that you are confusing Square Enix with Sony and going into a rant about it. The game is developed and published by Square Enix and the servers are managed by Square Enix not Sony, the only time Sony comes into play is with the Playstation, so yes it is a Xbox issue.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Unshra

I'm shocked.

I truly am.

Pathetic.

The only thing that's "Pathetic" here is that you are confusing Square Enix with Sony and going into a rant about it. The game is developed and published by Square Enix and the servers are managed by Square Enix not Sony, the only time Sony comes into play is with the Playstation, so yes it is a Xbox issue.

Well, Sony and Square Enix both begin with the letter S so for the more simpleminded its an easy mistake to make image