Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not my kind of game

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by darkoraclex

Firstly before I get flamed I'm not saying its a bad game, just not the type of MMO I like, will just give some simple facts that may help if your thinking of buying.

• Invisible Walls EVERYWHERE, the world looks beautiful and inviting, I was having a nerdgasm until I actually tried to go anywhere. If you like a wide open world to explore steer clear.
    • Combat is soooo boring, its WoW but with shared cooldowns.
    • Map System is badly done.
    • Every area is zoned, even your starting city is broken up in zones.
    • The quest are your basic go there kill these mobs....like squirrels, no seriously you have to kill squirrels, and all of the mobs you need to kill are in a neat little pile, just standing there.
    This game would have been good.... 5 years ago. 
    One plus is that the visuals are very nice and bright, you have loads of inventory space and you only need one char as you can change classes by just changing your weapons, so its not all doom and gloom, but a wow killing next gen MMO this definitely is not. 

Just my 2 cents, no insult intended to the peeps who like this game, more power too you, sadly I will have to keep looking.

I agree with this.

This game is quite dated.

It is solid and fluid but it is boring and unoriginal.

I struggle to see the differences between FFXIV and Rift.

Yeah the crafting is slightly better and the settings are Final Fantasy, but to be honest there is not enough to justify a monthly subscription  over a F2P like Rift.

For a Themepark is a good one, so if you are not bored with them yet (and you don't mind paying a monthly fee), this is rather good.

Otherwise, nothing to see here................

• ChocobroChocobro Member Posts: 64
    Some of your points are exaggerated (seems like you corrected one). While I don't like some elements of the game, its good points out-weight the bad. I'm loving this game, I hope you find a game that suit your tastes.
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I agree with the op ,there has been plenty of hype for this game on the forums and he is entitled to his opinions..Ive played the beta to lvl 15 not very far I know but the quests from 5 to 15 don't change and that's fine. the person who stated that all mmos are that way is correct,and that's the problem I think a lot of people are jaded by the same old thing over and over again that said tho this is an extremely polished mmo ,graphics are good nice armoury and crafting is good .the game is basically an old mmo with a fresh can of paint in the ffantasy setting I can see the game doing alright but its not doing anything or enough new to really stand out ,heres hoping that EQN will be different Im still holding out for the next great mmo .
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    With 1 thing i agree. Zones are actually very small and feel very linear most of the time b/c of invisible walls sadly. At first it felt liberating after 1.0 but after more hours it shows that Ff XIV is a little behind when it comes to zone design. 1 thing which gives me hope is that there are supposed to be a lot of zones and there is a lot of variety.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Lydeck
    Tell me again why this needed it's own thread?

Honestly, while I do feel the thread is a bit one sided, it at least expresses it a much more refined manor I can respect a bit more. Its not like the "The game is a success, let me list BS why it is that can easily be argued against" or "This game sucks, let me bash it with facts and bogus info and demean it every bit I can". Again, I feel its got to much negative bias and could use more supporting what is good about it and less trying to paint the negative black in some areas I feel it does to much on but hey!

For me I find the game entertaining, but it doesn't mean others can't find flaws with it and point them out specially if they do makes points that aren't extremely forced. Games best improve when people actually critique its flaws, despite the fanbois trying to just blindly praise it or haters (who can be vastly more helpful then fanbois though that is not saying much at all)bash away with silly points.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by twrule
    Originally posted by Shatter30
    Another title I won't get, I've read enough on this to know it's a WOW clone or at least it follows the standard MMO mold and I can play 50 other titles(most for free) and get the same experience.  It's unfortunate that this was the best they could do on a second launch.  /yawn

An experience isn't reducible to mechanics. The game is similar mechanically to WoW, yes. But that's not why everyone who has taken interest in the game did so. If you were interested in finding out what the total experience might be like, I'd recommend playing open beta, not just reading about it.

lol really, no offense but how many games in the past X years do you think I have heard this exact same phrase....try it blah blah blah.  Weak combat until later levels, same old quest system, its WOW rehash...again.  After 14 years of  MMO gaming I don't even need to play the game anymore to know exactly what it is

Another title I won't get, I've read enough on this to know it's a WOW clone or at least it follows the standard MMO mold and I can play 50 other titles(most for free) and get the same experience.  It's unfortunate that this was the best they could do on a second launch.  /yawn

An experience isn't reducible to mechanics. The game is similar mechanically to WoW, yes. But that's not why everyone who has taken interest in the game did so. If you were interested in finding out what the total experience might be like, I'd recommend playing open beta, not just reading about it.

lol really, no offense but how many games in the past X years do you think I have heard this exact same phrase....try it blah blah blah.  Weak combat until later levels, same old quest system, its WOW rehash...again.  After 14 years of  MMO gaming I don't even need to play the game anymore to know exactly what it is

With your attitude I'm surprised you're still into video games, but you can't please everyone. it is what it is. /yawn

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Lydeck
    Tell me again why this needed it's own thread?

The real question is what are you even doing on open forums if you can not take an opposing opinion? this is not a fan site in case you are mistaken.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Not everything WoW did is bad. I also believe that one of the reasons GW2 didn't meet so many expectations with many gamers is because ANET put far too much development into making "Not-WoW Online" when they should have been focusing on GW2. Just to avoid being called a WoW Clone. OK, sure they were able to produce a mechanic completely unlike what  we saw previously.  Yeah, sure, it'd different, But how much of it was actually better? Most of it was a simple trade off. Some of it was pathetically worse. Some of it may have been better but for the amount of time spent developing, it did not deliver the bang for the buck.

Since playing GW2 from last year, I've always felt they should have spent more time on taking what works and refining it, tweaking it and improving it for a better overall game experience. Instead, they simply removed it and re invented the wheel. Sure they got their wheel. But it was still round and in a lot of cases, didn't roll any better than WoW's.

Most of the game's that we call "WoW Clones"  that players don't like are just bad games and the reasons they fail are because the games simply didn't merit a subscription. They couldn't stand on their own because of bad design, but I think it has less to do with cloning WoW.  Even now, WoW also is a bad clone of it's original self.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I cannot say I like the game and will buy it.

The graphics are stunning

The dialogue is superior

the combat  fails substantially to match the outstanding graphics and dialogue..... IMO

Faction conflict is promised for the game 6 months after launch...and for me that is essential. I pve to be able to faction fight.

I just cannot find the game compelling and demanding I play it...at least at lower levels.

I will continue to play in the beta in hopes I will change my mind. I will push hard on crafting and gathering as I know that's one of the game's strong points.

• JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104

FF XIV is THE best MMO to date to transition console gamers to the more traditional online PC RPG type game experience. It will not offer much to the veteran MMORPG gamers. 

That said, you can see a great deal of quality that has gone in to this game at every level. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I just need to comment on a few things. Invisible walls,EVERY game has invisible walls.They created some closer in the foreground to eliminate problems,last thing a develop wants to hear is people getting stuck.Those vistas in the background  are just meant to add some scenery to the game,there is nothing there to visit anyhow,so there is no need to go there.Like i said ALL games have walls,that is how a game is made,games are not like real life with a round world,the worlds are square boxes,rectangles,Octagons ect ect.

There are two ways to draw zones and imo the actual visible zone way is the best.It might not look as neat as continuing to walk through a seamless zone but it is basically the same idea only a zone handles the data imo much better.

It is the same thing for skies,they are not really skies,there are a few ways to do it but often they are simply a skybox or even simpler yet just using an animated texture on the roof of the zone map.

Water is also not  real water in games,they are exactly like your main world above water only they have a zone property to give it a certain lighting color/look, fog and sometimes physics.They might also include a incoming and outgoing water /splash sound to give it that effect as well.

MAP system??I found this an odd statement you should elaborate on how it is bad.Imo it is too much hand holding,it has all the markers you need to show you were your quest/Leve are.They even go one further and just show you the overall zone in that region example North.South.Central,East Thanalan or Shroud.What more do you want?I have seen much worse for certain.

As to 5 years ago,it is the highest quality graphical game right now ,so how is it dated 5 years ago,Wow used as an example is probably the lowest quality big name game on the market only surpassing Eve Online.Also this version of the game is Beta and unlike OTHER games it is a REAL Beta and imo closer to Alpha because it is not nearly done yet.Still to come is housing similar to Archeage and more classes as well as much more content.This game is about 6 months from where the CEO wants it but is still a full year from where Yoshi wants it.So expect a lot more game to come.

As for Wow killer,Square is not like other developers they don't play those childish games of comparing themselves to other game developers or even bragging for that matter.If you watch their videos they are ALWAYS nodding in respect,that is their culture,how they act.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

the expectation of MMO players rised so much than a good game now is not enough... is not that every game right now is no good... is that people nowdays are expecting something that will never exist. MMO are that, MMO, you cant expect every game to innovate the genre. Can you tell me how much Action games have evolved? The game have incredible features like All-in-one character, best crafting system ever, gear-to-materia system to keep crafting alive forever, Playing PvP you earn points to buy Skills for PvP so no need to balance PvE skills for pvp, full dungeon leveling system (a dungeon every 3-5 levels), Housing non totally instanced (Housing areas have multiple houses so instead having an instanced house, you have an instanced neighborhood), Personal chat channels (Linkshell are an item to give to these you want to talk, independent of your Free Company), No based on Faction vs Faction (is players vs game, PvP games are that, games, in the lore you are not in war with other cities, races, whatever) etc etc etc... maybe somethings are not INNOVATIVEOMFG, but are so good systems.

I am tired to read "is like others MMORPG" and thats because is another MMORPG. There are Action MMO, MMOFPS, MMORTS, MMOGTFO... let MMORPG to be that, Role Playing Games, and if you dont like them, dont play them.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Myself and one of my friends love the game, another one likes it but will probably quit in 1-2 months, and the other will play it but won't last long either since he isn't really interested.

FFXIV isn't for everyone.  The combat is dated, and slower than WOW due to the slightly longer GCD.  You auto-attack and mash buttons, so it is understandable that it could be viewed as boring.  However, as mentioned, Combat gets a little better as you get higher level and start picking up additional jobs.  I will say, as a Conjurer/White Mage, while healing is hectic; it definitely keeps you awake.

Invisible Walls:  Invisible Walls do exist in places where you aren't supposed to go, and there are a few other invisible walls remaining that weren't removed.  Some good examples would be in the zones outside of Ul'dah.  You go to a small ledge.  You attempt to jump off of it and hit an invisible wall.  You move 2 feet to the right, wall isn't there and you can jump.  The previous incarnation was horrible, so it is quite expected that some things may be missed.  Overall, invisible walls don't bother me.

Combat:  Early levels, it is indeed boring, but so is WOW combat or any game for that matter.  You only have a few abilities to mash.  (assuming standard MMO model of course)

Map:  The MAP is fine IMO

Zones:  While I would prefer a seamless world, zones are fine.

Hunting Log:  The hunting log is there as a buffer for you to level your character.  Once you finish all the "normal" quests, you can't do those anymore.  The log helps give you additional XP beyond the normal mob killing, dungeons, and levequests.

Is it a WOW killer?  No, nor would I want it to be.  

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Ralstlin

the expectation of MMO players rised so much than a good game now is not enough... is not that every game right now is no good... is that people nowdays are expecting something that will never exist. MMO are that, MMO, you cant expect every game to innovate the genre. Can you tell me how much Action games have evolved? The game have incredible features like All-in-one character, best crafting system ever, gear-to-materia system to keep crafting alive forever, Playing PvP you earn points to buy Skills for PvP so no need to balance PvE skills for pvp, full dungeon leveling system (a dungeon every 3-5 levels), Housing non totally instanced (Housing areas have multiple houses so instead having an instanced house, you have an instanced neighborhood), Personal chat channels (Linkshell are an item to give to these you want to talk, independent of your Free Company), No based on Faction vs Faction (is players vs game, PvP games are that, games, in the lore you are not in war with other cities, races, whatever) etc etc etc... maybe somethings are not INNOVATIVEOMFG, but are so good systems.

I am tired to read "is like others MMORPG" and thats because is another MMORPG. There are Action MMO, MMOFPS, MMORTS, MMOGTFO... let MMORPG to be that, Role Playing Games, and if you dont like them, dont play them.

This is so true, people that tout that they've been playing MMORPGS for 14 years and say it's the same o same o, OF COURSE IT'S GOING TO BE THE SAME, they're all MMORPGS.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Yeah. Pretty-much This.

I don't care about game mechanics and innovations and clones and all that crap. What I care about is:

Am I enjoying my experience? With This Beta, the answer is "Yes"

bro I have an extensive 18 years of MMO experience, Is there a new MMO releasing? does it reinvent the wheel? if not GTFO, played one -- played them all /yawn

• ajcohen63ajcohen63 Member Posts: 8

All

While the criticism below is valid.  My real question having only played the beta a little is Does the game merit a monthly subscription?

• The quest are your basic go there kill these mobs....like squirrels, no seriously you have to kill squirrels, and all of the mobs you need to kill are in a neat little pile, just standing there.
    I love playing MMO's and have found a lot of fun and worthwhile Free To Play ones.  Im currently enjoying returning to Rift.  I am a Final Fantasy Fan, but from what I see of the Beta it is fun, but does not rise to the level of a subscription MMO.  For a subscription MMO there is an expectation of a higher standard, regular content updates and some form of benefit.  I just don't know what will change from now till release and whether it will be an effective subscription MMO.
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by ajcohen63

All

While the criticism below is valid.  My real question having only played the beta a little is Does the game merit a monthly subscription?

I love playing MMO's and have found a lot of fun and worthwhile Free To Play ones.  Im currently enjoying returning to Rift.  I am a Final Fantasy Fan, but from what I see of the Beta it is fun, but does not rise to the level of a subscription MMO.  For a subscription MMO there is an expectation of a higher standard, regular content updates and some form of benefit.  I just don't know what will change from now till release and whether it will be an effective subscription MMO.

It's pretty simple really, if you don't feel like it's worthed, don't pay it and play something else.  It's all depends on the person, there are people that do feel that it's worthed and will Pay to play the game.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

I was just saying, if you were curious (clearly you are not), you can try it *for free*, and actually playing a game is always a different experience than just hearing about it on paper.

I'm not going to try and convince you to play a game you're not interesting in; I'm just saying, you may find that the attitude with which you choose to approach these sorts of games can greatly affect not only which games you end up trying, but the enjoyment you get out of them.

• FourplayFourplay Member UncommonPosts: 216
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by MagKiln
    Nicely said OP. I enjoyed FFXI, I just don't see this working out for me either.

I think the  original Final Fantasy XIV was better then this game.

I am going to play ARR for a good while unless EQN sweeps me off my feet.

I agree with you Mannish. Tanaka didn't get the time he had on this launch as he did in FFXI to turn things around. after the buggy/laggy/bad UI launch. It wasn't clear exactly what he was attempting but it was evident he was trying to make a game different from the standard, safe zone based themepark.

I still admire what Yoshi is doing making a polished themepark, I just don't think he is going to push for complexity or thinking outside the box enough.

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk 

... Many people say the combat's too fast ...

No.  No one has ever said or will ever say that about this game.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

it's a great looking game.

it's just like every other mmo that came out and will come out. The genre is stale now and every major company is seeing revenue drops across the board.

personally, i agree with the op. My biggest gripe was just how slow it is. I'd rather just watch a movie than play it. the mmorpg fad has passed.

• KingAlkaiserKingAlkaiser Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by Impulse47
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk 

... Many people say the combat's too fast ...

No.  No one has ever said or will ever say that about this game.

Some of the old XI players on the XIV beta do.

I am ex-ff11 player and i say combat is extremely fast and spammy if that is even a word.  Combat is a tiny bit improved but i am not too happy about you being able to spam skill so much and everything on screen having to be fireworks or something directed/made by michael bay.

combat feels like this------auto attack---->booom booom booom booom splash ( insert explotions).....etc ( as said before a mash of buttons, i even did not mind 1.0 combat as much after auto attacks were added.)

FF11 combat albeit slower paced it was more strategic and you had to time stuff out instead of just spamming them and facerolling keyboard/control at anything.  Id much rather prefer also FF11 combat to this new spamfest.

P.S- shame for people flaming OP with honest personal self review this game was not for everyone but the fanboys get butthurt anytime someone even says otherwise.  Seriously the amount of junk said on forums lately is astounding, I can understand excitement from people but other keep making FF14 sound like the Messiah is coming soon and will literally follow anything blindly.

I am with OP on this game, I enjoyed FF11 since I started on PS2 all the way until they crapped on it and destroyed the game with abyssea release.  I for one have changed my opinion on game specially after trying out beta for a while, I even enjoyed 1.0 for a bit a lot more than 2.0 ( with exception of improved little things like frame rates and UI ) they destroyed 1.0 when they also changed stats/powerleveling fiasco/etc patch.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

FF ARR wont be for everyone.
    As a old FF veteran i love this mmo.
    I think if iwoulnt have played or liked FF in general i would perhaps not like it either.

To each his own preference and style :)
    OP just stated his opnion no need to attack him on personal level.