Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exploits that are ignored when reported by testers.......

Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404

Now I understand the when you are a tester you do not want to share exploits. You want to send a detailed report about it including how to reproduce it and as much information about the exploit as possible.

Likewise during Alpha and Closed Betas you do not run around various other websites to "announce" the exploits for as some will say that is worse than doing nothing and normally I would agree.

Now what happens when you KNOW a company is aware of the exploit or exploits?

What do you do when you know for a FACT it has been reported in several betas cycles and yet still In open beta the exploit remains?

What do you do when you KNOW the company is lying when claiming they reacted quickly to correct the issues and they only correct them when it's viral and becomes a really widespread problem?

Also I don't mean they fixed it then a new build reintroduced the exploit but I mean it was never fixed period.

Do you close your eyes and just keep sending reports, cross your fingers and hope for the best that this will be resolved when the game goes "live" even though the game is in Open Beta and they are taking peoples money both via packs and the in game store?

Or do you, once all other recourse has been exhausted and the cat is already out of the bag and known by many, try to make sure it gets enough coverage thereby forcing the companies hand in correcting the issue AND the damage it has caused?

Especially if recent past experience shows this to be an effective method to deal with such a situation.

Seems to me blindly defending such a company and accusing others of making things worse when you do not have any facts or even play the game is much much worse than doing nothing, seems to me it is in fact encouraging such behavior and being an enabler to behavior that should be denounced.

Of course one must have some patience and not jump the gun right away but then one should not just roll over when it becomes clear being patient will not resolve anything.

Sometimes the Law of Causality is a good thing is it not ?

What are your thoughts on this ?

Do you denounce the situation, once all recourse has been exhausted or do you hope for the best and keep quiet?

Oh sorry for the spelling mistake in the choices, the second should be:

"Keep" quiet not "kepp" quiet.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Comments

• Pandaman102Pandaman102 Member Posts: 94

No "Keep quiet and exploit the hell out of it once the game is officially released" option? :)

Honestly, just like when people use the Open Beta status to defend the bugs, people who announce bugs can do the same: if it's unreasonable for people to treat a game in Open Beta like it's officially released in regards to the number and severity of bugs, then it's equally unreasonable for people to find fault in how a "tester" chooses to report a bug.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Originally posted by Pandaman102

No "Keep quiet and exploit the hell out of it once the game is officially released" option? :)

*snip*

That fits in the keep quiet lol , I don't really want to go into why some people would "keep quiet". Unfortunately many have been doing this and it shows in the games economy.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Depending on the magnitude of the exploit it's often a good indication of whether you should stay away from the game or not.

An exploit that lets you do something minor is annoying and should be fixed. An exploit that lets you break the game's economy...it's probably a good idea to avoid spending real money on that game till you see how it all turns out.

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Cryptic Studios is a joke when it comes to fixing major issues. [...]

Funny story, but in Champions Online they had this mission that people could farm (involved piloting giant robots and stomping the everliving shit out of an army) for easy experience and money. Now CO isn't hard to level in, a month of casual playing will get you to max, but with this exploit it was a week at most. A day and a half if you're a frothing-at-the-mouth, potentially OCD grinder (speaking from personal experience).

The mission was being abused like this for maybe half a year and was being reported for just as long, but it took a solid two weeks of the exploit being announced in zone chat before Cryptic nerfed the rewards. I vaguely recall a rollback of a few hours, but that's like a bandaid on a bleeding stump.

Now here's the punchline: Cryptic turned around and introduced the On Alert overhaul, which lets players grind 5-minute long brawls all day for just as much exp and money (possibly moreso) just a few months later. Naturally those grind-fests are infested with leechers and griefers, so it managed to be even less fun than repeatedly stomping on tanks and eye-beaming 20-story tall monsters all day, and continued to screw over the non-Zen/Questionite economy as fiercely as when the exploit was still around. Except in a Cryptic-sanctioned manner this time.

People should actually be grateful that someone publicly announced exploits, because if they didn't there's precedence that Cryptic would have left it unpatched even after Open Beta.
  • PlageronPlageron Member Posts: 109

I actually had to vote "I don't know"

because I am not very sure what to do.....I still send in bug reports but I am thinking they probably circular file most of it......

This time around its like they truly want the game to fail.....as weird as that sounds....the choices they have made with the way the game works like for example going to an astral diamond only market....when clearly they had planned for a market like they had for champions due to the icons and graphics and in game dialogue from the non-player characters.

Its a lot of strange choices on what important and what isn't which makes me so baffled this time.

I don't actually play the game as much...I just log in to have my characters pray and to set up their crafting things....as I have played all the stuff the game offers currently....and its just repetition of actual small feeling dungeons that don't really have much in them.

I mean at first I felt it was neat to find that secret door or the hidden spider boss guarding three chests......but that's about it....there isn't anything else and the rewards are kind of lackluster...you can buy whatever on the auction house that is better......so it becomes a why bother.   I mean I thought I had gotten something when I read I found a cloak of etherealness.....but then I read that it works once every 2 hours for 5 seconds to give you a poor stealth bonus.....takes up a armor slot....and this is what this game is giving.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

I am probably worse off for it but I would never knowingly use an exploit, big or small. If I found it in testing I would report it and let due process deal with it. If it didn't get fixed then I would be disappointed but wouldn't resort to using it or exposing it.

The reason games are released buggy (imo) is because game designers have to spend so much time dealing with lowlife scumbags who exploit the shit out of games knowing full well they are cheating but who have the attitude "if I don't get caught then I don't care".

The world is full of these lowlifes, why should games be any different. But I will never stoop so low as to think just because a low life is using an exploit it is ok for me to do so.

Originally posted by Maelwydd

[...]The reason games are released buggy (imo) is because game designers have to spend so much time dealing with lowlife scumbags who exploit the shit out of games [...]

That's only true if the developer is horribly mismanaged or working on a shoestring budget with a skeleton crew.

The team responsible for coding and bug fixes should not be the same team in charge of account management/community moderation/processing bug reports, therefore the only thing they have to deal with in regards to exploiters are fixing whatever code is being exploited; some other guy has to worry about how to deal with the exploiters themselves and the damage it caused to the game's economy/society.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

I am probably worse off for it but I would never knowingly use an exploit, big or small. If I found it in testing I would report it and let due process deal with it. If it didn't get fixed then I would be disappointed but wouldn't resort to using it or exposing it.

The reason games are released buggy (imo) is because game designers have to spend so much time dealing with lowlife scumbags who exploit the shit out of games knowing full well they are cheating but who have the attitude "if I don't get caught then I don't care".

The world is full of these lowlifes, why should games be any different. But I will never stoop so low as to think just because a low life is using an exploit it is ok for me to do so.

While I appreciate your input and point of view the thread isn't about whether to use exploits or not but what to do when you see a company is not fixing them or the damage they are causing in a timely manner if at all.

• yadnickyadnick Member Posts: 1
    IF they don't fix it in a timely manner (a week tops the longer you wait the more the exploiters get the advantage) I think the exploits should be made public actually VERY public it would piss off the exploiters for losing their advantage and force the devs to do something about it. JMHO :D
  • LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

New exploit that become public recently:

1. Semi-permanent invincibility involving soulforge enchantment. If you see someone "immune immune immune immune immune" while in PvP then yeah they are using the exploit.

2. Castle Never exploit where you can instant kill a boss without touching it then collect loot. You can repeat this and it takes as little as 3-5 minutes per run. Yey cheap T2 loot.

3. Feldevar "shortcut" path let's you run the dungeon as fast as 3-5 minutes per run. <- okay almost everyone that has run gauntlegrym knows this.

Let's see how long till they fix it.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    You got to understand the Cryptic business model which has been very successful for them and their publishers.They push serviceable games with one or two differences out on their game engine as quickly and cheaply as possible and then move on to rinse and repeat.They don't have time for exploits and minor bugs just game stopping ones.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Exploits are not just a NW thing by any means,i have seen them in every game.

The topic does frustrate the heck out of me because there seems to be an all out lazy attitude among developers.

They exist in all games but i will use one example that really miffed me.I was trying to work my ass off farming to make currency in a game,i was fishing for hours and crafting and farming various mob drops.I also tried my hand at mining and what i saw when i was going by all my business was just  infuriating.

EVERY aspect was being exploited,so everything i was working my ass off at ,others were just cheating.ALL of the cheats were reported and for a long time ,the developer refused to admit there were such cheats.I sent them my two cents and complained but of course no response or fixes.

Then about 4 months later,probably one of their employees realized it was happening and that was what got them to take notice.Anyhoot my point to the story is that i was so mad,i actually went out and got the exploit that could exploit several areas of the game through  speed/POS/Warp radar you name it ,i had it.I was about to say screw you for not caring,i am not going to care either.However i have a conscience and just could not stoop to those low standards.So what i ended up doing was quitting for about a year.A friend calls me up a year later and tells me they finally clamped down on cheating and talked me back into the game.

That is my new stance,if a developer does not care about it's players or it's own game enough to fix it,then i don't care about their game either.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.