Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No MMO is actually free, they all cost money

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Downloading an MMO costs bandwidth. Many people have to pay bandwidth or the internet company to download things. Many people have a bandwidth cap, especially those in Australia and parts of Europe. Some people, even in the US, have to pay extra for the amount needed to download. And to be able to play a game online, you have to pay the internet company money each month to do so.

Therefore, MMOs aren't actually free, even if they say they are. The MMO itself may be free, but to play it, it isn't. This is also true for digital download games (but you have to pay for those anyway), or games that require an always online connection (which costs a lot of bandwidth, especially for those of us in Australia).

So free is an illusion, as people have to pay money  to play an MMO or anything else that requires an internet connection.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    How profound.  We hold these truths to be self-evident.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Which is why I am not a fan at all of F2P games.

They should be called:

"Cost kicked to serious players so we can have 6 million registered accounts and use it as 'proof' of the games greatness. "

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

They should be called:

"Cost kicked to serious players so we can have 6 million registered accounts and use it as 'proof' of the games greatness. "

What does that have to do with your enjoyment of a game?

You play games because of some "greatness" factor instead of if the gameplay is fun?

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Whether or not I am playing an MMO, I am having an internet connection in my house.  It is part of my monthly expenses regardless of what I am using it for.  And for bills that I have to pay, it is the least amount each month by nearly half the cost of the next closest item, Dish....

With that logic you could add in the cost of the power usage while playing an MMO as well, because that isn't free, and the hardware/software/input/output device of your PC that allows you to thus play an MMO and factor the amount it cost by the % of total time on the machine running that you were on an MMO to get your real cost to see how much your gaming addiction(er..MMO) actually cost you over a set period through not sub/microtransaction fees, but I regress to much work for something I'm going to have regardless of the game being online/offline and since I'm not an accountant or counting my pennies to pay my bills anytime in future I'll just say a free MMO is a free game.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

They should be called:

You play games because of some "greatness" factor instead of if the gameplay is fun?

Thread is about cost not phun factor.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Here in Australia (I'm staying here temporarily, for this year)...I actually had to pay what came out to be 43 AU dollars, because Age of Conan took up all the bandwidth from its huge download+updates I had to do. Not sure what that comes out in USD, but that was quite a lot of money for a "free" game.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Not really, I pay one flat fee for my internet connection no matter how much or little I use it. (a monthly sub at that)

Sure wish my most of my games operated the same way.

But the good news I'm now playing a free shard instance that is costing someone money to maintain and update, but not me.

Guess it's a labor of love for them or something.

So yeah, for all intensive purposes, I'm playing for free.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Simple logic really: All MMOs require an investment in time, all money requires an investment in time, combine these two statements and you can roughly deduce how much unearned money it costs you each month to play an MMO regardless of it's payment options.

• DraGzielDraGziel Member UncommonPosts: 67

Holly crap, didn't know people pay for bandwidth. I thought everyone paid a fixed fee every month. Guess I will not move in Australia after all...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

They should be called:

Thread is about cost not phun factor.

It is also not about "greatness" of games. You can digress. So can i.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

Downloading an MMO costs bandwidth. Many people have to pay bandwidth or the internet company to download things. Many people have a bandwidth cap, especially those in Australia and parts of Europe. Some people, even in the US, have to pay extra for the amount needed to download. And to be able to play a game online, you have to pay the internet company money each month to do so.

Therefore, MMOs aren't actually free, even if they say they are. The MMO itself may be free, but to play it, it isn't. This is also true for digital download games (but you have to pay for those anyway), or games that require an always online connection (which costs a lot of bandwidth, especially for those of us in Australia).

So free is an illusion, as people have to pay money  to play an MMO or anything else that requires an internet connection.

Not sure you thought this through. Yes you need to have internet to play them, but if you didn't play games would you still have internet? I would, so I'm not paying anything extra that I'm not already going to pay. I could play every ftp game there is and not pay an extra dime if i didn't want to. The problem with most ftp games is ptw or they withhold content, classes, etc that make it not fun to play if you don't use cash shop. I had internet access before mmo's came out so no extra money coming out of my pocket.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Naw.  It's about your point of view.  To a dev, it is not free.  To a player it most certainly can be free.

I have the internet allready, I am paying that bill allready, the game is irrelevant to my internet bill, the game does not impact my bill positively or negatively.  The gross amount that I paid to play the game is 0 (because the bill was allready being paid), the net amount is 0.

So there are definatley games that are free, that did not cost me any money.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by ropenice

Not sure you thought this through. Yes you need to have internet to play them, but if you didn't play games would you still have internet? I would, so I'm not paying anything extra that I'm not already going to pay. I could play every ftp game there is and not pay an extra dime if i didn't want to. The problem with most ftp games is ptw or they withhold content, classes, etc that make it not fun to play if you don't use cash shop. I had internet access before mmo's came out so no extra money coming out of my pocket.

*SHOCK. People play more than games on the internet? I need to research that using Google to make sure it is right. 

You are right though, the internet is woven into our existence now and shouldn't factor into playing a game.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

TANSTAAFL

image to those who get the reference.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Codenak

TANSTAAFL

image to those who get the reference.

I'm surprised people still argue against this. They should really call it something else, free only fools the people who expect no one to ever pay anything.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I can play an MMO completely and totally for free.  I have unlimited bandwidth on an Internet connection that I pay for anyhow, therefore the MMO doesn't cost me anything extra.  My computer is on 24/7/365, therefore it doesn't cost me any more in power.

It's not an illusion.  It's free.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    nothing is free in life son.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Cephus404

I can play an MMO completely and totally for free.  I have unlimited bandwidth on an Internet connection that I pay for anyhow, therefore the MMO doesn't cost me anything extra.  My computer is on 24/7/365, therefore it doesn't cost me any more in power.

It's not an illusion.  It's free.

Measure the amp draw on your computer while playing and at rest. It's not free :P

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I remember in the paleolithic days of the internet, I used to go to the big mainframe and log into GOPHER.  From there, I could log into any number of MUDs and MUSHs for free.

Back then, people put them up as a hobby.  In fact, most of what we got was a scripting language and a random number generator, and the players themselves designed the rooms, played the roles and fleshed out the world.

Did it cost someone something, somewhere?  If it did, it certainly wasn't anything anybody wanted to recoup.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I don't understand the point of this thread.

There are people who don't pay for the internet that they are using, the power that runs their computer or the games that they play, whether they are free or not. Those people would be children, and to them, the games that they play are free in every sense of the word.

Anyway, in keeping with the "WTF?" nature of this thread, here is this guy:

You're welcome.

That's a picture of a guy with a baby coming out of his beer belly, while holding a beer. If you can't see the picture, it's because you haven't visited epicfail.com today (I think).

If you can't see the picture, just picture a guy at a bar, with a large beer belly and a baby coming out of it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Beoelf21Beoelf21 Member Posts: 91
    Man im so glad i read this..i clicked the link hoping that i could wast 30 sec of my life reading a stupid post.

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

They should be called:

This is so true.  I've been against F2P from the start.  This is one more reason.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

They should be called:

Those are trick statements, friend.  Everyone knows that all F2P games play exactly the same as all the others.  Whether or not it is fun is irrelevant, because we have nothing else to compare it against.  We play the "greatest one" because it's the only one with the chance of receiving new content and developer attention - because it is making money, because everyone is playing it.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Why not completely deprive the term of any meaning whatsoever, in any context?

• Everything costs some amount of time and/or effort, so nothing is free.
    • A man who is free is still bound by the constraints of his character, his capabilities, and other things like physics, so he's never truly free.
    Or we could avoid being silly and agree that we can call free men "free" and free games "free", and ignore the extreme technicalities surrounding them.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver