Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What should I play to pass the time until release?

rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117

This is sort of off topic, but I have had the urge to play a Final Fantasy game the past few days thanks to FFXIV beta.  I have quite a few games I have not completed.  Looking over them I cannot decide which one I want to play.  

Since we have all been playing FFXIV for a while and the games are probably at the forefront of our minds, I thought I would ask fellow fans of the game for their opinions.

So, the list of possibilities are:

Never Played:

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy II

Final Fantasy IV

Final Fantasy V

Final Fantasy VI

Played, but didn't finish

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy X-2

Chrono Trigger

Played countless times, but willing to play again

Final Fantasy Tactics :)

So what do you guys think?

Comments

• DensetsiDensetsi Member Posts: 62

magic the gathering duels of the planeswalkers 2014

Great pass time game :D.

But I would go with either the original FF Tactics or FFIV, those are my favorites.

FFIV would be a good choice because of the story about the moon in there.

Yoshi-P mentioned in a live letter that they would like to add something with that into a realm reborn in the future.

• Lebros89Lebros89 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by rhavok

This is sort of off topic, but I have had the urge to play a Final Fantasy game the past few days thanks to FFXIV beta.  I have quite a few games I have not completed.  Looking over them I cannot decide which one I want to play.  

Since we have all been playing FFXIV for a while and the games are probably at the forefront of our minds, I thought I would ask fellow fans of the game for their opinions.

So, the list of possibilities are:

Never Played:

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy II

Final Fantasy IV

Final Fantasy V

Final Fantasy VI

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy X-2

Chrono Trigger

Played countless times, but willing to play again

Final Fantasy Tactics :)

So what do you guys think?

PLAYED IX BUT DIDN'T FINISH?!? Pretty much blasphemy in the Final Fantasy universe. You should get on that.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

You should absolutely play VI first out of all of those. It's one of the best FF's without question and my personal favorite. It marked the point in the franchise when square began to stop retelling the same formulaic story (yeah 4 shows some beginnings of this but imo didn't quite make the drastic break 6 did) and added some real artistic genius. You'll notice after playing 6 that XIV takes a *lot* of influence from it, at least superficially - in both, you start out fighting an evil empire that uses 'Magitek armor' (a term from 6) - and the armor looks pretty much the same too - and the Summoned creatures (called Espers in 6, 'Primals' in XIV) play a role in the conflict both times).

After that, I'd recommend replaying/finishing IX. Lots of creativity, good characters, story, harkens back to the classic FF charms.

Then, replay FF tactics for good measure.

FFV is generic in storyline and characters, like I said, but it does have an amazing iteration of the job system, so that might help get you hyped up for the armory system in FFXIV if Tactics didn't.

After that, you can play the rest at your discretion.

Chrono Trigger is not an FF game, but is definitely a classic square game, and one of the greatest games of all time - that would be first on my list after the above - possibly same priority as Tactics.

It's worth noting that I've encountered a few references to FFII already in the main storyline, so it couldn't hurt having some background knowledge of that too, if you don't want anything to get past you in FFXIV. Even playing Dissidia or watching its cutscenes and listening to its soundtrack might be enough for that though.

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

Final Fantasy V is one of my favorites.

Final Fantasy V returned to the system used in Final Fantasy III, allowing players to change a character's class and acquire new and advanced classes. Furthermore, Final Fantasy V added ability slots, allowing a character with one class to use abilities learned with another quest

The sub-job system you see in FFXI and FFXIV came from FFV. Beastmaster, Blue Mage, Red Mage, Dancer and about 20 other jobs. Just talking about it makes me want to play now.

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Im playing FF12. I was playing IX again but got hooked on XII instead because the gameplay is very very much like an MMO. Honestly, my favorite combat of any FF is XIIs. Only thing missing is the hotbar and specific classes.

Only downside is Vaan is just about the dumbest and least interesting main character in any FF ... or any RPG for that matter. Playing IX after im done with XII and VIII if I finish the those before release.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by rhavok

Chrono Trigger

You are the lowest scum I've ever laid eyes on ...

Just joking, but damn, finish that game, son!

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

Finish Chrono Trigger you heathen.

As for me, since we'll see Lightning in game...guess I'll finally buy that XIII and XIII-2 bundle for $20 and start playing them.  And maybe finish.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by rykim86

As for me, since we'll see Lightning in game...guess I'll finally buy that XIII and XIII-2 bundle for $20 and start playing them.  And maybe finish.

Her armour, not her character, right?

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

You must play final fantasy 6 it absolutely the best final fantasy story

AND FINISH CHRONO TRIGGER!! WTF!

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by rykim86

Her armour, not her character, right?

Yoshidas interview at the Japa expo in Paris said Lightning has her own quest line that explains why she's there. 

Chuki (JOL):  I agree with the part of “fitting the world”, but then how do you explain the last update with Lightning entering the world of Final Fantasy XIV, she comes from the future, I mean, she comes from a futuristic universe and she just pops in, how do you explain that? And especially the Snow part, he’s wearing a coat and that doesn’t seem to fit Final Fantasy XIV.

NY: Because we made the announcement at the Japan Expo which is a very unique Japanese subculture (anime, manga, video game titles) event and having a presentation on stage, we thought that we shouldn’t go into the story details because lots of people in the audience may not have played Final Fantasy XIV before especially because A Realm Reborn hasn’t been released and before we can make it into the details, we have to make it a bit more catchy and so showing up Lightning in Final Fantasy XIV and the kind of equipment you can get from the content, that’s what we focus on; but we didn’t really go into details.

But don’t worry, personally for myself, I take it very seriously to make sure the world fits in very well. There is going to be a dedicated storyline, cutscene, that will explain why Lightning has come to this world and what’s going to happen to her, we’re going to make sure it’s fitting in Final Fantasy XIV, be assured.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Im playing FF3, its my fav of the series. 
  • striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174

Finish Chrono Trigger!

It's only the best Square game ever.

Dont you dare play another square game until after you try this

Originally posted by tkreep

Truly an epic.

Every rpg fan needs to play this game At Least Once!

• rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117

Haha, I have played that one countless times.  It's case is on display in my office lol.

I pulled the SNES out of storage and booted up a new Chrono Trigger game so I won't shunned by my fellow gamers any longer.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I just downloaded the SNES9X emulator and Chrono Trigger ROM and started playing it about 3-4 days. Still as fun as when I was a kid. Best game ever made, in my opinion.

I've beaten it a good 10-15 times already in the past, too. lol

After this, I might take up FF3/6.

Originally posted by Densetsi

Truly an epic.

Every rpg fan needs to play this game At Least Once!

They would have to play it at least twice to just understand the story

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Vagrant Story

...Nuff said.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature