Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why aren't you playing EQ2?

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I played Everquest 2 for some time too and I think it is superior game to WoW in terms crafting . I enjoyed WoW too the game that taught me to enjoy PvP. I did however stop playing EQ 2 ,I wish I had not it was a good game but now it is too late to go back. Besides I am going to be playing FFXIV ARR soon I hope like I played FFXI hope to recapture that.

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136
    My main issue with it is the engine.  The performance in some areas is atrocious and pretty much drove a nail right through it for me.  I simply can't enjoy myself when the game is coughing and hacking out frames at me.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Minjie

Whats your reason for not playing EQ2? i know some of you probably are but im just curious as to why ALOT of people arent :)

I did for 5 years... It is my opinion that the games best point was just after EoF released and it have been going downhill since.

If you want reasons for me not playing: Bad coding (some places lag on my computer, and that is when games like AoC, Rift and GW2 wont lag. I have a overclocked hexacore with a good GFX card and a nice SSD, it shouldn't lag), worst F2P model I seen together with TOR, later dungeons just isn't as fun as the old ones was at the time, the open world was actually challenging in the old days....

I dunno, maybe I burned out on it but I just don't have fun in it anymore.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Because it's the same boring ass game as every other mmo.
  • DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151
    The biggest reason for me are the sounds. I can't stand the sounds in this game. Mostly the attack sounds and level up. YUCK! Also don't care much for the animations and quest grind. There are just too many quests.
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

Still playing Eq2, and it is still my favorite MMO.

I do understand the above complaints however.  A lot of my friends cant get past some of the issues too.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Jadedangel1
    I couldn't get pass the dated graphics. I'm not picky about most things in MMOs, but graphics are number one on my list.

same here, combat actions seem weird too.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

I still go back and piddle with the game every so often.  Originally it was a great game; it balanced challenge with some inefficient soloing.  and i LOVED the heritage quests... and the music lol.  Essentially i quit after they hit the easy button. I can understand why as it was hard for  new player to find a group with a mature population already... but it just wasnt the same.  Then when i logged in and was able to solo nec castle with a merc all i could do was shake my head.  The easy button kills the mmos for me.  

Well that and it runs TERRIBLE on new machines 

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Terrible graphics.  Though they may have been state-of-the-art at the time, they are comically out of date.  Further, the questing is nothing that hasn't been seen before, and better.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Eq2 was always a step or 5 behind wow. I think most people are excited because of this. Eqnext is the underdogs crack at becoming the king and everyone loves a good underdog, even the front runners (wow players) are rooting for something fresh
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    Eq2 was always a step or 5 behind wow. I think most people are excited because of this. Eqnext is the underdogs crack at becoming the king and everyone loves a good underdog, even the front runners (wow players) are rooting for something fresh

If people want something fresh, go give TSW a try.  It's B2P and is occasionally on sale on Steam.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

Originally posted by Delusive
    The biggest reason for me are the sounds. I can't stand the sounds in this game. Mostly the attack sounds and level up. YUCK! Also don't care much for the animations and quest grind. There are just too many quests.

Lol, sound is a somewhat odd reasons... I usually have the stereo up while I play games anyways.

The animations are nothing special, that one is true but they are not truly bad either.

The questgrind is nowadays bad, yes. One could wonder why they just wont make longer quests instead of so many short, the HQs are actually often good. The worst one are those stupid quests when some animals have eaten a book and you have to kill 10 of every kind 50 in total to piece the book together, it might be the worst kind of quest I ever saw in a MMO.

The part where you can pick and choose is good though, but the game really should have more signature and heritage quest and get rid of 90% of the rest. A quest should be something like finding the holy grail or throw the one ring into mount Doom, not killing bugs in a farm or bringing a message to someones brother (who is standing 50" away).

I think a lot of the problem is the fact that the game have grown to large for it own good, when they add new zones they should delete a bunch of pointless ones from the earlier zones with the same level.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I have played EQ2 a lot actually. Currently on break.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

Went back to EQ1, and am having a blast!

IMO, EQ1 is much better than EQ2.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• radagast777radagast777 Member Posts: 80
    I already beat it last year, also this is everquest next forum not eq2.
  • Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    Graphics. I spend a lot on my rig keeping it updated and able to play all the top games so I do expect a game to at least try to push it otherwise its a waste of the money I've spent on it.
  • JAFAJAFA Member UncommonPosts: 34

In reply to the OP, & none of the subsequent posts which I haven't read...

"Classes, Levels, 'nuf said."

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    I honestly tried to...but when I have to make the game look worse than EQ1 to get a solid no dip 60fps, when TSW, GW2, AoC and Rift all run 70+ fps on maxed out the ass settings, something is insanly wrong.
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Guitarbry
    Graphics. I spend a lot on my rig keeping it updated and able to play all the top games so I do expect a game to at least try to push it otherwise its a waste of the money I've spent on it.

Are you honestly saying EQ2 doesnt push your rig? I have 2 7990s in xfire and the game runs 30fps on medium.....

Which is my problem with it...the game has one of the worst engines iv ever seen.

Originally posted by Battlerock

I think it have a lot more to do with the first EQ. Most vets remember it as a great experience and it is not impossible that mixing EQ and UO might be a great idea.

And frankly, if EQ2 were as good coded and planned as Wow when it launched it might have been the large one, but when it released just before Wow in a really sad state it had no chance. If SOE actually learned this lesson we might be in for a really great game...

• ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84

I loved EQ2 apart from every class had what looked like magic lighting,sparkles and effects, even Warrior class. Someone correct me if I am wrong.!? . Just I believe that twinkles and sparkles should be reserved for the magic classes. Shooting a bow with twirly spirials everywhere put me right off.

That said I think EQ2 what perfect for balance of what's best in a mmo, and I played a lot since 1998.

:)

Btw . I quit playing EQ2 in 2005.

• RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327

I loved EQ2, back when it first came out. I watched, to my horror as it slowly got dumbed down to a water like substance like WoW. I thought the original had a great balance of difficulty, frustration (coming from corpse run EQ), but left after the changes.

Went back when it went F2P and had a wad load of Station Cash from other SOE games. Purchased some cool looking gear and mount, then wasn't sure what the purpose was to play anymore. 

Tried to start a new character, but was still "newbie" zone burned out from all the other characters I had levelled and couldn't get past staring at snow or mushrooms

Sad really, but had some fantastic memorable moments and the original EQ2 memories sit in my Virtual Trophy case of great games, moved on from along with UO EQ and DAoC

• shadout00shadout00 Member Posts: 253

Hi all. I haven't played in about 1.5-2 years. I've come back to the game several times, and my longest stint was at launch, then when the PVP servers opened (Nagafen ftw).

I stopped because I couldn't figure out what EQ2's ground was. The launch was rough, had performance issues and difficulty problems, but I enjoyed it then. When they began to make the game more "core" (like WoW, or most casual MMOs), I lost interest. It didn't click as much as it used to. Questing became too casual, more and more of the content was soloable, and I found myself benefiting from playing alone most of the time.

Admittedly, the population is a large part of why I lost interest. Since I played on a PVP server, my fun relied on how healthy the pop was. I wasn't into ganking noobs as a twink, but I was more interested in contested mobs and raids. That was a LOT of fun.

I feel like they spent a lot of time trying to "fix" the game and again, make it more "core" instead of progressing forward. I'm an Everquest fan at heart, but EQ2 just didn't feel new enough for me. It's hard not to compare to other MMOs (I didn't leave for another game), but when you compare feature sets and the "catch" to other games, to me it was lackluster. This was enough for me to say "OK, why am I playing?".

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

I played it for a few months a couple years ago and it just seemed so convoluted. The skill system was not very intuitive and the questing was poorly designed. Given that they overhauled the class system, that seemed disjointed as well. I loved the world - I still think Norrath is a great fantasy setting - but it wasn't enough to overcome the feeling blandness and lack of polish the game had. They had some great ideas - like the deity system - and a wealth of content. I just wasn't all that enthralled with it. 

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt

EQ2 is a decent game, but I've played that model a dozen times over.  That's why I'm not playing it. (That, and my friends aren't)

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity