Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why aren't you playing EQ2?

MinjieMinjie Member Posts: 11

Whats your reason for not playing EQ2? i know some of you probably are but im just curious as to why ALOT of people arent :)

Comments

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    I couldn't get pass the dated graphics. I'm not picky about most things in MMOs, but graphics are number one on my list.
  • hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

Because it sucks?

If I want to play an MMO before EQN comes out, I'd most definitely pick WoW/FFXIV/Rift and even Tera for the fun combat before I pick EQ2.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498

I am playing EQ2.

But it's time for something more sandboxy, with open-world construction, etc.

• yllisyllis Member UncommonPosts: 72

They changed and will re-change the system and mechanics too much for me, and with every expansion comes all new gear to chase.

I got real tired of keeping up with the jones.

I was a hard core raider for a long time, and it just felt so treadmillish, I walked away.

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230

Combat just started to feel tedious...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z96Wu2Afcow&t=1m25s

I moved on to Guild Wars, which I felt had fresher combat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b1D7-2Gypg

Not saying GW2 is better all around. I haven't played GW2 in months, because the combat just wasn't enough to keep me interested. But since I spend so much time fighting stuff, it is what I feel one of the most important parts of any mmorpg.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Minjie

Whats your reason for not playing EQ2? i know some of you probably are but im just curious as to why ALOT of people arent :)

Tried playing again a few weeks ago but it is so unpolished in its delivery it makes it a chore to play.  Many times I go to fire my bow on my Shadow Knight and I'm still using my 1h & shield graphics.  It's the little things like that that drive me crazy and make me not play.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

I think it has several very clever quests with fun wording.  I've gone back a few times and always briefly enjoy how well worded some of the writing is.

Ultimately, though, it is just too plodding and boring and auto-attack whack-a-mole oriented.  In short, the combat is stale.

• KagnestiKagnesti Member UncommonPosts: 37

1. it sucks
    2. pay for some things to be unlocked
    3. i like pie

• ChloroCatChloroCat Member Posts: 98
     I loved EQ2. But with the Shadow Oddysee <sc> expansion I lost interest. I want to play Norath not some crap that seems to be made by WoW. I miss the contested dungeons and the <Time> get this because it's a biggy THE TIME that we used to have to actually get to know people. Now it's just que up and go go go. Back in EQ we had time..waiting on PH <yes bring those back> and other stuff that you could just chat waiting for the next round of pops. Just hope EQN has some of that...

Jymm Byuu
    Playing : Blood Bowl. Waiting for 2. Holding breath for Archeage and EQN.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

Because I'm playing EQ, GW2, Neverwinter, Company of Heroes 2, Chivalry, Planetside 2, Strike Suit Zero, Saint's Row the Third, DayZ, Kerbal Space Program, Sonic Racing, Zelda: Twilight Princess, UN Squadron, and Battlefield 3, along with working, of course.

Honestly, I played EQ2 for a long time, it's a fun game.  Better than WoW anyway lol.  I just got lots of games on my plate, and even more that I bought and haven't even finished playing yet.  I buy more games than I have time for lol.  It might help free up my time if I was a more sheltered, picky, 1 or 2 genre kind of player.  But I like experiencing a lot of games and don't confine myself to any specific game type.

EQ is also filling up my nostalgia meter anyway, so I don't really need to get it with EQ2 haha.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I really, really wanted to get into the game.  The quests are actually pretty fun.  But the combat killed it for me.  The skill execution and the animations don't even go together most of the time, and it doesn't look like you're connecting with anything.  Plus it has some of the worst character models I can think of.  Other than that, solid game with plenty of class/race variety.  I just couldn't get past those.
  • xxxxxx1xxxxxx1 Member UncommonPosts: 105

Instances (ugh - I hated seeing so many loading screens...), plastic-looking characters (I looked like a male version of Barbie) and bad animations (when I was running, it looked like I really needed to go bathroom) are the biggest turnoffs at least for me.

There I said it.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    because EQ2 turned into Powerleveling and SLRing garbage. 1-80 is dead and you have 3 choices to get to endgame pay to be powerleveled, bring your own group or be prepared for the slow solo/merc plod through endless boring quests.

EQN should do everything design-wise to prevent power leveling and selling of loot. including NO mentoring.. you want to help your friend get to end game.. roll another toon and add yourself back in to the leveling churn for others.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

The game is a disgrace to the Everquest world..

After playing EQ1 for so long,then trying EQ2?

I almost puked in my mouth.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I tried the game twice- once on original release and then again after the F2P change- the combat was boring to me and I couldn't stand the graphics. It looked like some kind of claymation garbage. Running around in the world (at lower levels) felt very enclosed- not like the sprawling zones of Norrath in EQ1. On top of that, it felt as though gear was just being thrown at you left and right where as in EQ1 you could enjoy a dropped weapon for a long time before an upgrade was needed and at the upper levels it actually felt like an accomplishment when you'd loot an item you'd been hoping for...

Basically, it didn't feel right at all. It's a shame because it's definitely one of the better MMOs for RP but I just couldn't stand the gameplay.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    As much as I hate to say it, it's because of the sheer amount of skills each character has. There are just too many, by level 23 on my paladin I had 3 bars full of skills. That being the main reason, the second and still kind of a big annoyance, is how crappy it runs. I have a computer that runs everything I know maxed out and that game still manages to run entirely poor.
  • LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

Yet another member of the SOE social media brigade trying to drum up hype for their next game.  Didn't EA get a lot backlash for doing the same thing on metacritic?

Anyway, when EQ2 came out, I was playing in the WoW beta.  It was so far above and beyond what EQ was at the time that I jumped ship to WoW and never looked back.  Recently fired it up just to see what it was about, and I honestly felt i spent more time downloading it than playing it.  Initial impressions matter, and EQ2's is bad.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I really hate their f2p model and none of my friends play it anymore. Went back to EQ1 with all this EQN talk, nice to see it all again.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

The little mans kept sending me on quests running back and forth to grab 3 turnips, kill 10 tigers, click on 3 rocks in a cave, and crap like that and I was just like "nope."

edit: i did like the graphics though.  maybe i'm alone but i did like them.

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189
    1. I don't like the art style.
    2. I don't like animation of the character.
    3. Cluster UI.
    4. Combat doesn't quite responsive.
    5. It's quite old already, and I don't have many people I know who still playing them.
    6. I don't feel like investing my time on something that could be obsolete in couple years by better games that are more polish.
  • severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

They made changes to the core game that sapped the fun out of the game for me.  SOE does this to every single game they produce, its like SOE is the anti-Blizzard, the Yang to their Yin, the dark energy of the gaming universe.  I think Smedley probably keeps personal copies of every rage quit email/cancellation  comment, prints them out and dives into them Scrooge McDuck style.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Back when i was playing EQ1, i was lucky enough to get an invite into the EQ2 beta, at the time a lot of the guys from the guild i was in were pretty hyped over it, and tbh, so was i. Now Beta's are notorious for some of their issues, but in that sense EQ2 wasnt too bad, and voiceovers seemed to be amazing, Christopher Lee being in it was a huge thing.... but the game was dissapointing, massively so, it just wasnt a successor to EQ1, i don't know what they were trying to do with it, but it just wasnt fun, in the end the guild i was in had split, some stayed on EQ1, and the rest pretty much migrated to WoW, which as i was in the UK and most of them were in the US, meant  that was it. Going to sound really weird but when i tried out Vanguard, i couldnt help but think that Vanguard was more of a successor to EQ1 than EQ2 was, its just a shame at the time that the game wasnt really viable. But EQ2, never really appealed to me, i even returned to it a few times - with a station pass i wasnt really limited, but it just reinforced how much i didnt like it. I just hope that EQN is more akin to EQ1 than EQ2, and that it is a hybrid F2P/P2P game much like Bioware use in SW;TOR  rather than just a F2P Cash shop driven one, which imo would be the kiss of death anyway. image
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Phry
    Back when i was playing EQ1, i was lucky enough to get an invite into the EQ2 beta, at the time a lot of the guys from the guild i was in were pretty hyped over it, and tbh, so was i. Now Beta's are notorious for some of their issues, but in that sense EQ2 wasnt too bad, and voiceovers seemed to be amazing, Christopher Lee being in it was a huge thing.... but the game was dissapointing, massively so, it just wasnt a successor to EQ1, i don't know what they were trying to do with it, but it just wasnt fun, in the end the guild i was in had split, some stayed on EQ1, and the rest pretty much migrated to WoW, which as i was in the UK and most of them were in the US, meant  that was it. Going to sound really weird but when i tried out Vanguard, i couldnt help but think that Vanguard was more of a successor to EQ1 than EQ2 was, its just a shame at the time that the game wasnt really viable. But EQ2, never really appealed to me, i even returned to it a few times - with a station pass i wasnt really limited, but it just reinforced how much i didnt like it. I just hope that EQN is more akin to EQ1 than EQ2, and that it is a hybrid F2P/P2P game much like Bioware use in SW;TOR  rather than just a F2P Cash shop driven one, which imo would be the kiss of death anyway. image

^^ exactly..

and youre not alone when you say VG is more of the successor to EQ1.Ive always thought so too.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

Well actually I am playing EQ2 at the moment.  I finally relented and started again 2 weeks ago after getting board in my latest foray into WoW (2 months) and having abandoned Rift in January.

I am really hoping that Everquest NEXT will be a game I will enjoy for the next 3 years.

• ClassicEQClassicEQ Member Posts: 145

I am obsessed with the EverQuest franchise. Yet I've never played EQ2.

My computer wasn't good enough when EQ2 came out. So I played WoW.

Years later, my computer is nothing short of amazing. "Finally!" I thought to myself, "I can play EQ2!"

Now, my computer is too good. The game won't run and I don't feel like to speaking with tech support anymore.

I also don't play it out of spite, at this point. It is pretty ridiculous that the game has been so hard to run. Also, for the short time I saw the game (before it would crash) the silly putty character models are ugly as sin. The cash shop was also very hideous.

I'm sure there were some great things about  EQ2 (Norrath lore is amazing). EQ1 memories will have to do for me, though.