Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Final Fantasy XIV-2 going to last?

Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

Final Fantasy XI is over 10 years old, and it's been Square Enix's most profitable Final Fantasy, but the point is that it lasted and it'll be int he books for a great numbered Final Fantasy title. But Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 couldn't make it and barely sold enough copies....barely at 630,000 copies sold and no subscriptions. But Square has turned things around, with Final Fantasy XIII-3, Final Fantasy XV, and Kingdom Hearts III, they're on the right track.

They are taking things for other MMORPGs that have worked like: Guild Wars 2's and Warhammer's public events. Quests like WoW. Combat that's more indepth like Final Fantasy XII. Storytelling like a tradition Final Fantasy X, XII, and XIII game. So I hope that they get themselves together.

But with this new game Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is basically Final Fantasy XIV-2. Different gameplay, combat, places, a different time in the same XIV world. Everything upgraded and renewed. Over 1 million people signing up for the beta. And it seems like it's gaining a lot of steam here on MMORPG.com which is surprising. Lots of people including me giving this game a second chance. And Square is going all out on this game with the PS3, PS4, and PC versions. Final Fantasy XI also spanned in 2 gaming generations: PS2 and Xbox 360.

So can they get enough subscribers to get this game to last? Can they get this game polished enough to get the sales and subscriptions so they can have monthly updates, expansions, and a long lasting community?

Comments

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

If you want to know if its going to last as long as FF: XI did, yes it will, most mmorpgs do (the ones that dont sunk into the depth  on the first year)

Otherwise no, for any question you make, im just like that

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Syno23

Final Fantasy XI is over 10 years old, and it's been Square Enix's most profitable Final Fantasy, but the point is that it lasted and it'll be int he books for a great numbered Final Fantasy title. But Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 couldn't make it and barely sold enough copies....barely at 630,000 copies sold and no subscriptions. But Square has turned things around, with Final Fantasy XIII-3, Final Fantasy XV, and Kingdom Hearts III, they're on the right track.

They are taking things for other MMORPGs that have worked like: Guild Wars 2's and Warhammer's public events. Quests like WoW. Combat that's more indepth like Final Fantasy XII. Storytelling like a tradition Final Fantasy X, XII, and XIII game. So I hope that they get themselves together.

But with this new game Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is basically Final Fantasy XIV-2. Different gameplay, combat, places, a different time in the same XIV world. Everything upgraded and renewed. Over 1 million people signing up for the beta. And it seems like it's gaining a lot of steam here on MMORPG.com which is surprising. Lots of people including me giving this game a second chance. And Square is going all out on this game with the PS3, PS4, and PC versions. Final Fantasy XI also spanned in 2 gaming generations: PS2 and Xbox 360.

So can they get enough subscribers to get this game to last? Can they get this game polished enough to get the sales and subscriptions so they can have monthly updates, expansions, and a long lasting community?

This is not Final Fantasy XIV-2.  If I want to play Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII-2 I can because they are separate games.  This is still Final Fantasy XIV there is no other version of Final Fantasy XIV available, and in all future references to the series this will be FFXIV (of course they could mention its original state, but it is an online game and they are constantly changing only its current state is available).

It is also unlikely that they will stop supporting this game anytime soon given how much they have invested in it.  Unless that is they abandon the entire franchise completely.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    its a darn good game that pretty successfully straddles the depth / accessablity line.  i hope it will and i think it will

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• mastergravymastergravy Member UncommonPosts: 38
    it will be F2P before the 1 year marker.
  • ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by mastergravy

My prediction is that Mastergravy will be one of the pay subscribers one year from now... 

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158

I don't know, can it?  If you decide to play the game you've answered your own question.  I've been given enough reasons to play as well as several others I know.  It all depends on your interest and willingness to simply play the game. 

I'm a FF fanboy yet at the same time I'm a horrible cynic and jaded MMO player.  But I'll be playing.  If there is even a small percentage of players out there like me who will be subscribing, then that is indicative of a much larger base with less requirements and lowered expectations who will be doing the same.  So we're not talking king of the world or anything but I'm sure it will at least carve out a nice niche not unlike FFXI.

FF XIV:ARR will at least be famous for the forum activity surrounding it.  God forbid you look at the beta forums *rolls eyes*.  Beta invites should've been more restrictive even if it meant I didn't get to play until phase 4.  But at least there are enough wildly-opinionated testers to pick it clean of the majority of bugs and other less than desirable things sans subligars.  Bahamut wears a subligar.  They're not going anywhere.     

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184

I believe that the changes to FFXIV will give it enough support for this game to last.  It has a lot of positive reaction so far (and before the trolls come calling, yes, we know, not everyone likes it...that isn't the point of this thread or this post). The vast majority of people I have played with over the past few beta weekends are enjoying their trips into Eorzea and hoping for more time in fact. 

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Well I know from playing XI that SE always put out new big patches every couple of months and if they can do that and keep endgame updated I think they could last a long time. But you also need to understand that level 50 is not going to be the cap for very long and soon after release it will be raised to 55 and will keep going up. (My guess is to 99 since that seems to be cap on FF games.) I also think people will want to level other classes/jobs since you can do it all on one character with no need for alts.

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by mastergravy

It won't be F2P because Yoshi-P said that if it ever got to that point he'd close down the game.  

Not all MMORPGs can go F2P because that is then the end of the game.  All you will get are shallow GW2 style updates which satiate you like eating a single peanut or a single potato chip.  

Everyone is acting like this is a bold new model for online games when really what we've been looking at is an over saturation of the market which has divided the MMORPG fanbase out way too much  

You want it to go F2P because that is the only kind of MMO that you play.  And you probably play a new F2P MMO every week because none of them satisfy you.  

Name one F2P game that has consistently released full featured, premium, world changing expansions.  F2P as in either a conversion from subscription or F2P from the start.  Also this goes for B2P.  Guild Wars 1 was an exception and exceptional for what it was. 

• separateunionseparateunion Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Syno23

They are taking things for other MMORPGs that have worked like...Combat that's more indepth like Final Fantasy XII.

Personally, I didn't find FF XII's combat to be very in depth. I thought it was one of the worst battle systems of any FF game. It took some cues from FF XI, which might have worked if it was an MMORPG and not a solo game.
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I hope it do im looking forward too different quest event story quest like lightning even though im not a fan of hers but i see the possibilties ffxiv arr open for the ff universe maybe zack,cloud, seph, squall, cecil, and zidane.
  • EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Not if they insist on having you only do 3 levequests a day for content.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

Originally posted by Ehllfhire

How do they insist you do any guildleves?

I recommend people do 0 guildleves ever for optimal enjoyment.

Originally posted by Robokapp
    we've been over this two years ago...your mmo is not the wowkiller, it's not the next big thing, it's just a little flash. the more you hype it and raise expectations the worse it'll fall.

I'm sorry but who cares?

Isn't all that matters that people enjoy the game they play and that the developer supports it with regular content updates which Square Enix has a proven track record of doing.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Unless they change how shallow/generic the combat is; I doubt it will last more than a few months. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Originally posted by Murugan

So you recommend grinding the faceroll easy half hour to romp through dungeons ad nauseaum?

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788

So you recommend grinding the faceroll easy half hour to romp through dungeons ad nauseaum?

Uh, noooooo.  I would hit some FATES, join some guildhest, do some hunt logs, run dungeons with friends are use the duty finder, even grind out some mobs when i feel like it, the problem is not the game not having content, the problem is with you expecting to only do leves ad nauseam.

Originally posted by vandal5627

Uh, noooooo.  I would hit some FATES, join some guildhest, do some hunt logs, run dungeons with friends are use the duty finder, even grind out some mobs when i feel like it, the problem is not the game not having content, the problem is with you expecting to only do leves ad nauseam.

Guildhests are limited and boring with little reason to do them reward wise. Hunt logs are easy, single use for the class and give not that much xp. The dungeons are faceroll easy/boring and I can not grind those. I need leves to do something other than grind dungeons. Thats all this game really has for content is dungeon grind. All else is a one shot quest etc, or built around a stupid timer to force you to grind dungeons as content. thats not content. Thats clever disguising of lack of content

PS3

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

Guildhests are limited and boring with little reason to do them reward wise. Hunt logs are easy, single use for the class and give not that much xp. The dungeons are faceroll easy/boring and I can not grind those. I need leves to do something other than grind dungeons. Thats all this game really has for content is dungeon grind. All else is a one shot quest etc, or built around a stupid timer to force you to grind dungeons as content. thats not content. Thats clever disguising of lack of content

IT seems like the content this game offers, which others absolutely love, is not for you.  I'm really happy for you because you already know and are sure this game isn't for you.  You don't have to spend any money or monthly expense.  You can move onto something else without any consequences.

On the other hand, to play devil's advocate.... guildhests, when you complete them for the first time give a GIGANTIC XP bonus and some nice gil.  They are ideal for little time spend, big reward to any class that is leveling up.

Hunter's log is one of the shining aspects of FFXIV.  I don't know any whos doesn't like it.  It gives you VERY BIG XP bonuses for completion.  So much so, that you can take a class from lvl 1 to 10 just by doing the hunting log.

You don't like dungeons even though you've only seen 5 of a possible 17 available at launch.  You don't like to grind Dungeons but maybe prefer class quests or story quests.  Dungeons also offer you gear and the chests drop Allamigan pieces which can be traded for gil.

Regardless, maybe your'e just tired of themepark mmos.  Maybe the FF selling point of story, immersion, music and polish is not your cup of tea.  I wish you the best of luck.  As for me, this is the game i've been waiting for years.  I'm really happy about release being less than two months away.

Good luck finding that mmo that captures your imagination as FFXIV has done to me.

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154

All your posts are exactly the same, they begin with a subjective complaint (ie the timers on guildleves being too long, the notion that everything is faceroll but dungeons, as if you've killed Odin or done anything of note for that matter) and end with a HUGE speculative assumption and or generalization about the game and it's future.

I honestly am torn between if you have a serious agenda (futher backed by your signature assuming a closed beta is a demo?) or just an extreme case of the new age gamer.

Its a real tough call

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

I hereby predict that FFXIV will end up being the longest running mmo in the history of gaming.

Mark your calender, this thread & my words.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

We are talking about maybe the 3rd or 4th and on combat class you level having content issues, right?

Because between the main story questline, class quests, FATEs, guildhests the first time around with bonus xp, hunting logs, dungeons the first go through (per class even - mostly for quest and then hunting log bonus xp), the odd Trial, and only the occasional lightly drawing on world quests and/or guildleves (not to mention bonus xp for doing guildeves at each new quest hub) to get to that next level, I had absolutely zero repetition of content up to level 23 in the beta, which is where the beta's story questline ran out and other testable content started becoming limited.

Beyond the earliest levels, which can be supplemented heavily by hunting logs, FATEs, and guildleves, every class is going to want to run every dungeon once to get the hunting log xp, and after that you have the entire series of world quests to go, a complete set for each of the 3 main regions - a lot more available at launch with the addition of the rest of the worldmap.

Starting with your probably 4th or 5th combat class out of the 8 available, there is where the content shortage might become an issue, because you then have only the hunting log (including one run of each dungeon), FATEs, and guildleves as your most efficient sources of XP. Here is where grouping up will become more popular - as all of those types of content become more efficient and longer-lasting when plowed through in an organized group, and with some coordination and planning, shouldn't be too bad (though certainly a lot more involved than the mostly soloable first few classes).

Whether it will still be a problem at that point remains to be seen, I think; several new types of content are being added in phase 4, at launch, and in the first several content updates, so there will be 'more to do' at least - and there is always endgame.

P.S. I should add that there will be times that people might want to repeat certain guildhests once or twice - less for the xp and more to test out their skills in new roles; after all, not everyone is a master of tanking, healing, ranged and melee DPS already, let alone the various varieties available - but hey, some free xp while you learn. Not to mention that the Trials will serve as decent benchmarks for how well you are doing with a certain class/role.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

We survived an Elder Primal.

Bring it.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    It will last a lot longer than the original. But if you really meant does the game have longevity, then my guess is, based on what I've seen till level 20, the answer is no. But I can only speak for myself.
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Im hoping it last a good long time. 2 to 3 years would be good for me. Longer if they keep adding stuff to the game.

Its a solid, good game. Not sure why the hate..oh, wait. this is the MMORPG forums. As you were, soldier.