Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your favorite "innovation": from GW2 that you would like to see in upcoming titles?

PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136

It doesn't necessarily have to be completely unique, but something that most MMOs simply don't have.

If you would your top three, please.

Starting off:

1. Jumping puzzles

I think this is my favorite aspect of the game that I haven't really seen anywhere before to any appreciable degree outside of Rift (and to a FAR lesser extent there).

2. Fast travel

I love this feature. I used to not mind the excruciating travel times found in other games, but I guess that I have grown old and somewhat impatient at traversing the same terrain over and over again.

3. Instant auction from inventory

Hard for me to think of a game with this feature, although it most assuredly (I hope) has been done before.

Comments

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

I loved GW2 and I think it is a great game.

But I can't think of anything about it i'd like to see again that wouldn't be better served just staying where it is in GW2.  In upcoming titles i'd prefer to see as much of a new spin on things as possible.  In an ideal world each game could just be its own thing.

If I had to pick one thing I did especially like, I thought they did a great job on the art and UI.

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by DMKano

None - didn't like any of GW2s "innovation", wasn't a fan - heart quests, scripted events, poor storyline, classes defined by weapons - ugh, jumping puzzles, vistas... no, square zone design, forced level scaling, rez repeatedly to win dungeon runs - no, narrow field of view why?, no zones with dense forests.... why? World vs World vs World - why are we fighting, for what purpose, why do fights rotate from a story perspective makes no sense.

Sorry if that came across as overly harsh, just voicing my dislikes in an unfiltered way.

Id say polish and graphics are the top 2 things, but that's not innovation.

Everything above is my opinion, your mileage may vary

I sort of agree with you lol.....The no trinity thing sounded good on paper, but after zerging every instance and spam rezing everyone for 50 lvls I couldn't continue playing the game.

The innovation if you can even call it that, that i'd like seen on EVERY game from here on out is Action combat, i.e. Tera/NWN...

Tanking in an action combat where I have to actually lift my shield at the appropriate time to block is awesome...after playing these two games its going to be hard to go back to a tab target 1,2,3 combat system

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249
    The only thing I wish other games would take away from GW2 is the cash shop. Many might argue, but it is hands down the best cash shop system I have ever seen. GW2 might not have had lasting power, but the way they made the cash shop and handle it is very impressive to me in a age where most "free to play" games try to force you into buying everything just to get a semi decent normal game experience. So if games take away anything, use this cash shop system.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Sidekicking and Market

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Individualized nodes and drops is a god one that hasn't been mentioned yet. 
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by DaezAster

I would say that individualized nodes is a good one. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I don't want to see anything listed in the OP. I hated all 3 of those things.

If there was anything (thinking, 3mins so far) it would be their idea of an RE, not what was implemented, but the core Idea. I wish they would have took the extra time to make them dynamic, and not looping.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191

nothing

While gw2 had some features i would like to see again none of them are innovations from gw2.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

Actually nothing, just 1 point was very good  - > the very easy and handable auction system, which offered u to sell everything from everywhere without searching for average prices and the possibility to click items and press "buy more".

I think it is pretty cool for a crafting system in a game, to not waste time in auction houses.

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136

Originally posted by Vorch
    Sidekicking and Market

Two people who can actually stick to the topic of the thread. Thank you for your replies. You both are a rare breed it seems nowadays.

These forums have degenerated to such a degree that I question why I bother to post here when people aren't willing to discuss anything, but argue something that might even be only tangentially related.

To me it would be embarrassing to post something so stupid in a forum, even if it is under the veil of anonymity, but I guess I lack the required detachment from character to do something like that.

Maybe they are doing it intentionally, maybe they are that genuinely dumb, maybe they just completely lack an understanding of language in any shape, or form...

I'm through posting here. Have a nice life and a sincere thank you to the few people who can actually read and think like adults.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Same for me , i dont want to see any of those things in any MMO again , GW2 set the genre back with there so called inovations imo..

Jumping puzzles are terrible mindless timesink , if i want to play Donkey Kong i will..

Fast Travel is a great way to ruin immersion reduce socialization and trivialize content that is being fast traveled right by..

Instant Auctions also ruin immersion for me.. I know some people want to call it a conveince but for me it ruins a game, i want to travel to town , deal with merchants etc.. 

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230
    The auto-deposit materials in your bank its perfect..also i like the dye,transmutation system its simple..
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    The living story.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Well, all trolls aside, I think there's a number of good innovations I'd like to see adopted more often in other games.

1) Map Drawing. It's a small feature, but you can do a lot with it. Being able to 'ping' to other group members can come in handy when people either aren't in TS, are confused, or don't speak english well.

2) A focus more on customization, than gear progression. GW2 kinda backtracked a little bit from GW1, and added a tiny bit more gear progression, but compared to other games it's still one of the least gear-oriented games on the market atm. This is something I hope more games try to work with. While the appeal of linear gear progression is easy, it doesn't necessarily make for a better game, and we've seen (countless times) the downsides to such a design. It's annoying that we keep having to see that wheel spinning, even after so many people 'claim' to have learned from it.

3) Multiple forms of lvling. It's extremely rare to have a game allow you to progress via more than just questing. I'd like to see more games offering alternatives here.

4) The auction house. (not a new feature, but they went above & beyond what most games have done).

5) Transmuting. Again, not something that is completely 100% new. However, I've seen no other games let you completely customize the look of your character like GW2 does. Yet another thing I'd like to be utilized more.

6) Lack of a focus on Trinity. I know there are quite a few people on these forums (or in game) that are convinced that this is a mistake. I've seen first-hand that it is not. It just requires more thought than trinity based games. I've beaten all dungeons in the game w/ some pretty strange combinations (5 thieves, 5 mesmers, 5 rangers, etc.). It's doable, but it does require people to actually think about their skills, how they work with a group, and how to approach each encounter.

As someone who enjoys more skill-based games, I prefer this. I enjoy trinity games when I want to zone out, or not have to really think about what i'm doing and just kill some crap (or heal / etc.). There's far too many games that set the gamer on auto-pilot. I'm ready for more games that make the gamer actually have to earn his/her achievements, think about what he's doing, and actually be challenged.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

GW2 was a different kind of MMO. I am not sure I really want to see anything brought out of it and into something else. I like that ANET tried to do new things, but in many cases, even though they made it work in GW2, I don't think it will translate very well out of GW2. While I had a lot of fun in GW2, it was a short term game. It may very well be a game I return to depending on content released, but it will never be a game where I am building towards something. It's more of a game to just enjoy the experience. Most of it's "innovations" contribute to the type of game it is.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by Piechunks

Originally posted by Vorch
    Sidekicking and Market

Two people who can actually stick to the topic of the thread. Thank you for your replies. You both are a rare breed it seems nowadays.

These forums have degenerated to such a degree that I question why I bother to post here when people aren't willing to discuss anything, but argue something that might even be only tangentially related.

To me it would be embarrassing to post something so stupid in a forum, even if it is under the veil of anonymity, but I guess I lack the required detachment from character to do something like that.

Maybe they are doing it intentionally, maybe they are that genuinely dumb, maybe they just completely lack an understanding of language in any shape, or form...

I'm through posting here. Have a nice life and a sincere thank you to the few people who can actually read and think like adults.

I do not really see why you got so upset.

In fact, this thread has been surprisingly peaceful so far.

The two people you quoted are ones who see some innovative features in GW 2 which they would like to see brought forward to new games as well. The rest of the people state that there is no such feature in GW 2 providing reasoning behind that which I think is still pretty much relevant for the subject.

LOL, Yeah,

If the number of features is 1 or more, it's on topic, but if the number of features is 0, people can't read.

I like that.

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308

None - didn't like any of GW2s "innovation", wasn't a fan - heart quests, scripted events, poor storyline, classes defined by weapons - ugh, jumping puzzles, vistas... no, square zone design, forced level scaling, rez repeatedly to win dungeon runs - no, narrow field of view why?, no zones with dense forests.... why? World vs World vs World - why are we fighting, for what purpose, why do fights rotate from a story perspective makes no sense.

Sorry if that came across as overly harsh, just voicing my dislikes in an unfiltered way.

I have to agree with you.  I quickly grew bored of the game because everything seemed to be given to me with no effort.  I found there was really nothing to work towards and lost interest in the game.  Different strokes and all.  I need a game that constantly gives me something to work towards.  Fun is nice, and I like games that are fun for a bit, but what was fun two weeks ago is a grind today.   

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Didn't like playing GW2 at all, but two things in GW2 I wish to see in more MMOs:

- more actionrich combat gameplay, like already seen in TSW,

- the simplicity of the auction house -> selling things automatically for the actually cheapest price was just great.

Things I really don't want to see in my MMOs:

- missing roles, biggest let down at all

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Dynamic Events instead of quest hubs!
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

The only real innovations is how far they pushed the event system. GW2 didn't go far enough with it of course. But that is pretty much the best and most unique feature of GW2.

Jump puzzles are NOT unique to GW2, but I'd like to see those in other games too.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Originally posted by bcbully

I don't want to see anything listed in the OP. I hated all 3 of those things.

If there was anything (thinking, 3mins so far) it would be their idea of an RE, not what was implemented, but the core Idea. I wish they would have took the extra time to make them dynamic, and not looping.

This just goes to show that not every game is for every person.

I think, OP, that you should have addressed this to people that play the game still.  MMORPG.com is full of people that hate Gw2 and will use any thread about it to let you know just how much they hate it and how worthless they think it is.  They really have nothing better to do because they dont have ANY games that they actually do like.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Bingo, was the worst MMO experience I ve had in years. Nothing I can think of, I would like to see in any games I have interest in.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

My favorite things are

1. Lack of Trinity

2. Scaling content

3. No gear grinding "tiers"

My biggest wishes for change:

1. More weapon skills to pick from, like utilities, but that is coming

2. This game should've not had levels.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I agree completely with this assessment.  If anything, most of the "innovations" in GW2 are a continued dumbing down of the genre - we need less of them, not more.

Contrary to the OP, things like overusing fast travel and auction house from anywhere (mail from anywhere as well) make the game seem like less of a world, and more of a simplistic game.  Pointless PvP, like WvWvW, confined to specific zones just makes the world feel contrived and broken.

I'd prefer systems that make gameworlds actually feel like worlds.

Other than that, ANet proved that there ARE things worse than the trinity with their horrific group mechanics.  Don't need more of that, either.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    OP I have been there you are right now with a topic such as this, the selective few love to jump into a thread like this and dizz everything from top to toe usually the same trash they have spewed for months on end, just ignore them and discuss with those who acually can read the topic name and give a proper respons to your question.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.