Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time Investment? First PvP FFA Game?

2»

Comments

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    Originally posted by Strangerous
    Originally posted by MrBoots
    OP will spend 99% of his play time grinding for gear. The gear grind is very casual unfriendly. They should have followed UO's example, but for some reason they decided that gear requires a major time investment. It might be ok if you are good enough that you will always win more than you lose with a gear disadvantage, but otherwise forget it. This game is mainly for unemployed people.

Or he can take others gear, kill harvesters and take their mats...you don't HAVE to grind stuff if you don't want to.

This is a possibility,  IMHO highly unlikely to work. 

Amount of time it will require to find farmers, ganking them, deposit stuff back in bank, craft new gear, sell raw mats for gold is a  time sink.   

But if OP is up to take up this challenge and set a world record, I don't see any harm.  I doubt this will work for a regular MMO Joe. That is the beauty of sandbox.  You make things happen out of ordinary!

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

3 hours a week is nowhere near enough time to start a new character, play, and be competitive. 3 hours a week might be enough to more or less keep up if you already had an established character.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Electro057

Howdy,

So through a few threads that argued for pro-FFA PvP I eventually decided that although I'm against it at the moment because of past experiences in WoW and other games I should at least try it, open mind and what have you. 

Though as of current I work 14 hour shifts and average nearly 57 hours a week, with only an hour a day to play...So I only average at least 3 hours a week in game at a maximum.

I was wondering if that amount of playtime would lend itself to this game, or if I'd not be able to progress very much or be present enough for a clan to consider my inclusion. I have heard these games require more time and dedication, part of the "hardcore" experience.

Also I was wondering if you'd recommend it for someone who only played a few hours of the original Darkfall, and who's relatively new to the sandbox and free for all aspect. I've played Anarchy Online extensively, but that was mostly sandbox and PvE.

Thank you kindly for your time! ^.^

Nope.

I am a stay at home dad, (Accountant wives rule, let me tell ya), I spend the mornings AFK gathering as I do my random shit, then the afternoons with PVE, mob kill feats, and AFK craft in the evening. I need to play more.(1 caveat: I don't play every day)

Now I am sure that time could be used in a better way, and I could progress faster, but you sound more casual than me, so I thought I'd upfront.

Plus there is the mandatory "down time" I suffer after I get ganked, to re-craft all my gear. Not so bad though I wear/use gear all crafted by me.

As far as the ganking goes, I am getting better....I get some shots off now ( I'm an Ele so I get rolled in I don't get the drop on them)

I would say get it and try it, with an open mind, but TBH you don't have the time. As another poster said you need 10 hours a week to just be casual, and that wont be enough.

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

Yup people are still obsessed with "progression" being the key factor on competitiveness in this game.

Simply not true.

There are videos of people with a few days worth of progress and crap gear beating higher level characters in top end gear.

Player skill is what matters most.  People who are stuck on this idea that all they need to do is get to max level or "catch up" to higher level players in order to compete...are just going to be the first wave of players leaving.  Why?  Well like in the old game, you had a lot of people who thought they sucked because they didn't have high enough skills and gear.  Once they got that progression and gear and realized they still were getting their asses kicked (often times by newer players) they ended up leaving.

They spent their entire time in game, grinding in the most unfun way possible (high efficiency grinding for fastest progression) rather than practicing pvp and participating in pvp.  A lot of these types of players will actively avoid pvp until they feel that they are fully progressed...then end up overly frustrated that their high progression and gear level didn't help them stomp people.

Yes there are people who do nothing but duel friendlies and go on pvp roams for gear and mats.  They are typically the good players or become good over time.  People who turtle up and level up thinking that is the key to being good typically spend all their time on stuff that wont make them win fights.

And yes the best 1v1 players typically do nothing but duel and pvp.  You don't need to be top end to have fun though (old game yes but not the new game)

So get all your heads out of the old game type model where you need progression to win.  Its simply not true.  One missed shot can negate months of progression and a gear advantage...just one missed shot...

Yes good gear and one extra stat could mean the difference between a completely equal player skilled fight where both players flawlessly hits eachother...that doesn't happen all that often...

But yeah, just one hour a day with no long session stretches of play isn't going to see much of anything fun in this game.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Yup people are still obsessed with "progression" being the key factor on competitiveness in this game.

Simply not true.

There are videos of people with a few days worth of progress and crap gear beating higher level characters in top end gear.

Player skill is what matters most.  People who are stuck on this idea that all they need to do is get to max level or "catch up" to higher level players in order to compete...are just going to be the first wave of players leaving.  Why?  Well like in the old game, you had a lot of people who thought they sucked because they didn't have high enough skills and gear.  Once they got that progression and gear and realized they still were getting their asses kicked (often times by newer players) they ended up leaving.

They spent their entire time in game, grinding in the most unfun way possible (high efficiency grinding for fastest progression) rather than practicing pvp and participating in pvp.  A lot of these types of players will actively avoid pvp until they feel that they are fully progressed...then end up overly frustrated that their high progression and gear level didn't help them stomp people.

Yes there are people who do nothing but duel friendlies and go on pvp roams for gear and mats.  They are typically the good players or become good over time.  People who turtle up and level up thinking that is the key to being good typically spend all their time on stuff that wont make them win fights.

And yes the best 1v1 players typically do nothing but duel and pvp.  You don't need to be top end to have fun though (old game yes but not the new game)

So get all your heads out of the old game type model where you need progression to win.  Its simply not true.  One missed shot can negate months of progression and a gear advantage...just one missed shot...

But yeah, just one hour a day with no long session stretches of play isn't going to see much of anything fun in this game.

Lol really? I pvp'd a ton in a very very large clan and still think the progression is terrible.  I was good enough to hold my own, I didn't need a ton of prowess to dish out solid damage and max out my primary stat, but its an RPG, an MMORPG, your supposed to progress your character as well as your skill, just like in any other game, and progressing your character in this game is not fun and god awful there is no denying that.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Howdy,

So through a few threads that argued for pro-FFA PvP I eventually decided that although I'm against it at the moment because of past experiences in WoW and other games I should at least try it, open mind and what have you. 

Though as of current I work 14 hour shifts and average nearly 57 hours a week, with only an hour a day to play...So I only average at least 3 hours a week in game at a maximum.

I was wondering if that amount of playtime would lend itself to this game, or if I'd not be able to progress very much or be present enough for a clan to consider my inclusion. I have heard these games require more time and dedication, part of the "hardcore" experience.

Also I was wondering if you'd recommend it for someone who only played a few hours of the original Darkfall, and who's relatively new to the sandbox and free for all aspect. I've played Anarchy Online extensively, but that was mostly sandbox and PvE.

Nope.

I am a stay at home dad, (Accountant wives rule, let me tell ya), I spend the mornings AFK gathering as I do my random shit, then the afternoons with PVE, mob kill feats, and AFK craft in the evening. I need to play more.(1 caveat: I don't play every day)

Now I am sure that time could be used in a better way, and I could progress faster, but you sound more casual than me, so I thought I'd upfront.

Plus there is the mandatory "down time" I suffer after I get ganked, to re-craft all my gear. Not so bad though I wear/use gear all crafted by me.

As far as the ganking goes, I am getting better....I get some shots off now ( I'm an Ele so I get rolled in I don't get the drop on them)

I would say get it and try it, with an open mind, but TBH you don't have the time. As another poster said you need 10 hours a week to just be casual, and that wont be enough.

This is why markets are needed. This player feels that HE HAS TO CRAFT his own gear rather than get it from other players because its easier. Probably not in a large clan or alliance making it harder.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Lol really? I pvp'd a ton in a very very large clan and still think the progression is terrible.  I was good enough to hold my own, I didn't need a ton of prowess to dish out solid damage and max out my primary stat, but its an RPG, an MMORPG, your supposed to progress your character as well as your skill, just like in any other game, and progressing your character in this game is not fun and god awful there is no denying that.  

Did you try PvE'ing after the mob spawn rework? It made the entire leveling process far more bareable for someone who doesn't enjoy PvE.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Howdy,

Nope.

This is why markets are needed. This player feels that HE HAS TO CRAFT his own gear rather than get it from other players because its easier. Probably not in a large clan or alliance making it harder.

You are right I am not in a clan at all. One of the drawbacks of being a "stay at home dad", my progression is slower, the majority of my play time is off-peak. I also don't really get into the GOGOGOGOGO of most clans.

But, my experience is valid when a  new player asks if "less than hours a week will cut it?".

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

Simply not true.

Some people like structured linear quest lines and quest hubs for progression.

Others don't.

Some want some kind of glorified FPS with no progression.

This is a sandbox that offers farming as one of the routes to progression.  If you don't like farming stuff I wouldn't play the game and I would stick to the wow-clones or MOBA tbh.  Never quite understood why some people continually play games where that games foundation is something they hate.  Seems to be an effort in insanity.

Basically if your not ready to accept something that veers off the beaten path, and not sick of the same old, don't even bother with this game. Many people will quit this game after attempting and failing to enjoy the game because they tried to play it like a themepark.  Its hard to let go after years of being conditioned to one game model. The fact that this game is so niche is pretty much proof positive that everyone wants the same game types they complain about on this site (and others) though.

Simply not true.

Others don't.

This is a sandbox that offers farming as one of the routes to progression.  If you don't like farming stuff I wouldn't play the game and I would stick to the wow-clones or MOBA tbh.  Never quite understood why some people continually play games where that games foundation is something they hate.  Seems to be an effort in insanity.

Basically if your not ready to accept something that veers off the beaten path, and not sick of the same old, don't even bother with this game. Many people will quit this game after attempting and failing to enjoy the game because they tried to play it like a themepark.  Its hard to let go after years of being conditioned to one game model. The fact that this game is so niche is pretty much proof positive that everyone wants the same game types they complain about on this site (and others) though.

This is not a sandbox, if It was a sandbox I'd probably be playing it and the progression wouldn't be awful.  This is a fun clan deathmatch with mob and material grind.  There is no sand in the box, EVE is a sandbox, SWG was a sandbox, original darkfall as flawed as it was, was atleast a sandbox.    

You also have made it clear you have no clue what your talking about.  Majority of people on this forum are tired of the same old and want a new experience, but nobody wants a bad game.  DFUW in no way justifies a subscription fee, and barely is an MMO world.  It will never have a large following because of that.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Simply not true.

Others don't.

This is not a sandbox, if It was a sandbox I'd probably be playing it and the progression wouldn't be awful.  This is a fun clan deathmatch with mob and material grind.  There is no sand in the box, EVE is a sandbox, SWG was a sandbox, original darkfall as flawed as it was, was atleast a sandbox.    

You also have made it clear you have no clue what your talking about.  Majority of people on this forum are tired of the same old and want a new experience, but nobody wants a bad game.  DFUW in no way justifies a subscription fee, and barely is an MMO world.  It will never have a large following because of that.  

I'm not sure what you are talking about but UW is a sandbox.  While their is not as much sand as the 10 years old game of Eve, they are slowly but surely patching stuff in.   I doubt it will ever be the sandbox that you envision it to be.  AV has its own ideas and is blazing its own trail.  Lets just hope it doesn't lead off a cliff.

It lacks the major gameplay components that make any game a sandbox.  Does it have sandbox elements? Sure, player made transportation , housing and seiges are all there.  But without any alignments, or variety of player this game is just a huge clan deathmatch and I'm not sure how you can look at it any other way.

You can't have set process in a sandbox game, and again I will say this game purely consists of farming mobs to get pvp viable, Farming material to make gear/equipment, going out to kill people taking their gear/land, Repeat. For what cause are you doing all of this by the way? None, because there is nothing to this game, then mindless killing.  Now you can pretend there is actual clan politics, but it boils down to you have to kill because there is nothing else to do.      

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL